• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Gravijah

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't know people even interpret sales in the context of NPD. I remember Uncharted 2 doing around 800K in the first two months in the US and shortly after that Sony were attributing a figure of 3million to the game. It didn't exactly dominate European sales looking at the UK sales charts but clearly PAL as a region (outside Europe) is something amazing for Sony, something that we don't have the ability to measure.

Was the number shipped to retail?

TheOddOne said:
We are in the Twilight Zone :lol

Sony Fanboys have been in Hell for years. Even when an HD console beats the Wii, they're in third place.

There's no mystery there. EA is regular about shipment (as in sold to retail, but not consumers) number PR. UC2 is, AFAIK, also a shipment number. So, take them in the correct context where there are a lot of copies waiting to be bought on store shelves and in distro warehouses.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ITT: People make stupid assumptions rather than gathering evidence.

Wii and PS3 were supply constrained. They're still supply constrained. 360 beating these systems is not surprising when shipments for both systems was as small as it was.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wii and PS3 were supply constrained. They're still supply constrained. 360 beating these systems is not surprising when shipments for both systems was as small as it was.

So if it wasn't for the supply constraint the PS3 would sell more than 360k and the Wii would do over 400k? Maybe Wii could do a little better but it seems like business as usual, so how does that explain why the 360 sold a solid 422K?

Pooya

Snuggler said:
Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think it'll be as lop sided as some people expect. More 3-2 at most not 3-1 or whatever it is that people are expecting. Even if the PS3 version is unquestionably better you can't underestimate the 360's ability to sell software vs. the PS3. You have to consider that there are probably more 360 only people than 360 and PS3 owners so I expect the 360 version to do a lot better than most of us would expect. If both of the versions were equal in quality I'd choose the 360 version over the PS3 one but since that's not the case it might be a little different. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being very close between each version, like under 100K difference.
PS3 version is selling way,way better, the gap will be huge, similar to Bioshock 2 I expect. 360 only owners probably don't care about the series and would buy BC2 instead.
BC2 360 will be #1 next month.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
miladesn said:
PS3 version is selling way,way better, the gap will be huge, similar to Bioshock 2 I expect. 360 only owners probably don't care about the series and would buy BC2 instead.
BC2 360 will be #1 next month.

I can buy that. Maybe I'm over estimating the 360 sales for FFXIII but I do believe that BC2 360 has a solid chance at being number 1 on next month's charts.

Truespeed said:
Is GT5 being released next week? I'm a fan of GT5, but I think GOW III will still outsell it. It just appeals to a bigger audience. Besides, by the time GT5 ships, GOW III will have sold 5-7 million and still have legs.

Not in NPD it won't. Only two first party games have ever even passed a million in NPD on PS3 and that is Resistance 1 and Uncharted 2. GoW doesn't have the WW appeal that GT5 does. While it will sell well... it will be no comparison to GT5. You're fighting a losing battle here champ.

Hammer24

Banned
I am sooo happy for the BS2 numbers. For me this franchise is one of the best things coming out of the generation.

PS: BRUCE CAMPBELL, bitches!!! :lol Thx Mama Robotnik!

ZealousD

Snuggler said:
So if it wasn't for the supply constraint the PS3 would sell more than 360k and the Wii would do over 400k?

Yeah, probably.

ZealousD said:

Classic.

CozMick

Banned
Heavy Rain.........in the top 10.

Congratulations QD/Sony.

Another month, another NPD showing Americans don't buy PS3 games.
except HR

Anghammarad

Neo Member
Neo C. said:
The DS is like the regular class winner in every school who is frequently ignored by his class mates.:lol

Yeah. I was thinking about that. I thought the DS was supposed to decline this year according to some analysts? Still, it manages to sell more than 600K, even though it has been on the market for so many years. So where do these people get the idea that the DS is on the verge of declining? It keeps having a really amazing performance.

ZealousD said:

The PS3 would have been outsold by the Xbox 360 even without this mythical supply constraints.

Until Sony or Nintendo for that matter release the actual number of units that retail stores had available for sale, the data provided by the NPD remain the only evidence that should be treated as accurate. All these reports from people claiming their local store had this and that does not count for shit.

ZealousD

Opus Angelorum said:
The PS3 would have been outsold by the Xbox 360 even without this mythical supply constraints.

These supply constraints are not "mythical". Have you tried to purchase a PS3 in the past couple of months? Do you work in retail? Do you have evidence on your side or merely assumptions?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ZealousD said:
These supply constraints are not "mythical". Have you tried to purchase a PS3 in the past couple of months? Do you work in retail? Do you have evidence on your side or merely assumptions?

We just opened a gaming cafe and bought 10 slim PS3's. That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

ZealousD

Here's an honest-to-god fact here. In January, GameStop briefly offered a preorder/layaway program for both the Wii and the PS3 due to their respective supply issues. Just these two systems. We finished handing out units from this program only this month, several weeks after the program was ended.

You could easily double check this information by walking into a GameStop and asking. I'm sure anybody skeptical about this probably won't do that, however.

Gravijah

ZealousD said:
Here's an honest-to-god fact here. In January, GameStop briefly offered a preorder/layaway program for both the Wii and the PS3 due to their respective supply issues. Just these two systems. We finished handing out units from this program only this month, several weeks after the program was ended.

You could easily double check this information by walking into a GameStop and asking. I'm sure anybody skeptical about this probably won't do that, however.

My local wal mart usually has a steady supply of Wiis and PS3s, but that's purely anecdotal.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I believe you.
I guess I'm just skeptical about how much difference it really would make if either of those systems weren't on "supply restraint". I think the Wii could have sold a little better but aside from that these numbers seem fine. I guess we'll see it over the next few months how they can do with out any restraints, can't wait.

ZealousD

_tetsuo_ said:
We just opened a gaming cafe and bought 10 slim PS3's. That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Your sample size is too small. My sample size consists of all the GameStop stores in my district, dozens of calls from customers asking about these systems, and even significant word of mouth from walk-in customers saying that even "Wal-Mart" was sold out of these systems. It also includes the corporate-wide PS3/Wii layaway/preorder program I mentioned.

Oh, and how about the fact that my store in Oklahoma got two calls this week from out of state stores (Washington, California) asking about a 250GB PS3 we listed as having in stock?

ZealousD

Gravijah said:
I've always been curious... Who actually buys consoles from GameStop?

People.

If you're asking for specifics in demographics, that's still the best I can do.

Gravijah

ZealousD said:
People.

If you're asking for specifics in demographics, that's still the best I can do.

I'm being serious though, I swear I've seen more people buy LAST gen systems from GameStop than current gen systems.

ZealousD said:
I'm sure anybody skeptical about this probably won't do that, however.

As I stated, until Sony release the number of retail units that were available for February then any anecdotal evidence of shortages (no matter how true) cannot be quantified.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've always been curious... Who actually buys consoles from GameStop?

I'm pretty sure that every single current gen console that I've bought was from Gamestop.
Why wouldn't I? Am I missing out on some secret place that sells them for Xtra cheap?

Gravijah

Snuggler said:
I'm pretty sure that every single current gen console that I've bought was from Gamestop.
Why wouldn't I? Am I missing out on some secret place that sells them for Xtra cheap?

I just.... I dunno. I never see GameStop as a place to buy consoles. :lol Usually you can get deals in other places, too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I guess it just depends on where you live.
Around here it's either Gamestop or something like Kmart or Walmart, not many choices. The advantage to Gamestop is that I can trade all of my old games towards a new console, for what it's worth.

Snuggler said:
Yes, actually. That is exactly the situation. Gamestop puts consoles on sale never, as compared to every other retailer. There is pretty much a "$50 gc with purchase" sale somewhere every other week. Unless you are fenagling one of their trade-in or used deals, buying a console at gamestop is stupid.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well stupid is as stupid does, so I guess that's why I missed out on the $50 gift cards and bought my PS3 at gamestop last year.
Oh well.

I bought my PS3 in January of '09 so I missed out on all the nice bundles that came out later that year. But even if I did get a good bundle it's not like it would matter now, a year or so later. I wouldn't go to bed at night and be like "THANK FUCKIN GOD I GOT THAT SWEET PS3 BUNDLE FROM AMAZON 10 MONTHS AGO!!!".

AniHawk

There was an Arkham Asylum/inFamous/Dark Knight 120GB slim combo last year at Wal-Mart.

Fortunately across the street was a Best Buy so I got the LBP/A Crack in Time bundle instead.

Ydahs

What's with this anecdotal evidence needed to prove Nintendo is supply constrained? Both Sony and Nintendo already stated they were supply constrained. It just appears that the Wii was a little more supply constrained then usual. I mean, Nintendo did sell around 4.7 million in three months in the US alone!

Regardless, great sales for the 360.

EDIT: where are the usual leaked sales for other titles? I want to know how much NMH2 sold :(

ShogunX

Dante's Inferno - Isn't it more of a case of it doing badly on the 360 than good on the PS3?

I mean look at Bioshock 2. Weird.

Amir0x

Banned
I forgot NMH2 came out in January and I never checked the sales for that game.

*checks*

holy shit less than 30k in Jan? There is a GOD! I knew sacrificing NMH1 to the toilet would satisfy the goat god.

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcomvic1.gif
Army of Darkness. Pure win, that one.

Gimme some sugar, baby.

NHale

NPD Sales threads makes me believe some people really think there's no other countries besides the US of A.

Amir0x said:
Because it's a fucking atrocious game with no gameplay and a terrible, plot-hole ridden story? But... you can read my various rants on the game in the Heavy Rain Spoiler topic, and the Heavy Rain topic. google search it if interested (you're probably not).
If I wasn't banned in February, I would have had your back. The emperor's new clothes of gaming.

Top Bottom