• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

donny2112

jrricky said:
especially for the license...

The license from a very old, public domain work that most of those who bought/played the game never read? :p

Maybe they can come out with Canterbury Tales Party for Wii. Mini-games based off of each story, and unlockable mini-games for the stories that weren't finished.

Random tidbit of info in an article from the Toronto Star about potential God of War 3 sales:

The PS3 enjoyed a very good holiday season last year, and is looking to continue that momentum, and big-name releases such as GoW3 – there are more than 225,000 preorders in Canada, the largest numbers ever for a PS3-exclusive game – will likely push sales.

I don't know if that's a good metric for predicting success in the US or Europe, but this thing might be a beast.

(Note: there are way more 360s in Canada than there are PS3s)

Haunted

I'll be impressed if/when GoW3 outsells the first US month of its predecessor (meaning 850k+).

I wanted to put another sentence here, like "especially given the difference in userbase", but upon further reflection, the core userbase is probably similar. PS2 had the casual crowd which made it so hugely successful, so it seems a distinct possibility that the PS2 having 100+ million consoles sold by the time of GoW2's release didn't do much to increase its chances. And reversely, that won't hinder GoW3's potential on the Ps3 - the core gamers interested in the type of game that is GoW are already there.

somuchwater said:
Random tidbit of info in an article from the Toronto Star about potential God of War 3 sales:

I don't know if that's a good metric for predicting success in the US or Europe, but this thing might be a beast.

There were 300k something GoW 3 preorders in USA few months ago. I don't know how the number looks today. And also, the preorder numbers don't translate to first day sales. But its something to gauge the market demand.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Haunted said:
I'll be impressed if/when GoW3 outsells the first US month of its predecessor (meaning 850k+).

I wanted to put another sentence here, like "especially given the difference in userbase", but upon further reflection, the core userbase is probably similar. PS2 had the casual crowd which made it so hugely successful, so it seems a distinct possibility that the PS2 having 100+ million consoles sold by the time of GoW2's release didn't do much to increase its chances. And reversely, that won't hinder GoW3's potential on the Ps3 - the core gamers interested in the type of game that is GoW are already there.
And with a smaller userbase.

Zen said:
It's like a near exact replica of the God of War combat engine!

I dunno what it is man, but I just like the combat more in Dante's

andymcc said:
judging by your logic here, we could say Bayonetta deserves to outsell GOW and Dante's Inferno combined.

I played the PS3 version of Bayonetta, so I'm at a disadvantage. =/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
somuchwater said:

... given the general 10:1 ratio for US to Canada sales (sometimes as high as 15:1, sometimes as low as 7:1), I'm gonna go ahead and say that this information is not correct. Assuming 225,000 pre-orders and literally 0 day 1 purchases beyond that, that'd put day 1 sales at or above Halo 3 level. Not gonna happen.

dolemite

Stumpokapow said:
... given the general 10:1 ratio for US to Canada sales (sometimes as high as 15:1, sometimes as low as 7:1), I'm gonna go ahead and say that this information is not correct. Assuming 225,000 pre-orders and literally 0 day 1 purchases beyond that, that'd put day 1 sales at or above Halo 3 level. Not gonna happen.
These are pre-orders by the retailers, so they are in the same category as Bioshock 2's 3 million and FFXIII's 5 million units "sold".

jrricky said:
Im trying to gauge DI's success, cause from where I am standing, that doesnt look like a lot at all, especially for the license...

Pretty sure Dead Space did worse than DI on both consoles right out of the gate, maybe half as much on PS3.

Penguin

Probably not easy to find, but anyone has a Top 10/20 best selling games of this generation? Curious where NSMBW and MW 2 sit.

Thanks

Zen

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Pretty sure Dead Space did worse than DI on both consoles right out of the gate, maybe half as much on PS3.

You are correct (aside from the guesstimate of the PS3 version), although I'm not sure if we ever got month 1 numbers for the PS3 version.

October 2009 NPD

10. Dead Space (X360) - 193k
15. Dead Space (PS3) > 118,559
16. Rock Band 2 (PS3) - 118,559

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_October_2008

noobie

Banned
dolemite said:
These are pre-orders by the retailers, so they are in the same category as Bioshock 2's 3 million and FFXIII's 5 million units "sold".
Even then these r impressive.. almost 2 - 2.5 million pre-order for NA only and then u can add atleast 1.5 million pre-order for Europe.. thats a lot i think.. previous iteration has not done more than 3.5 million sold to retailers.

EagleEyes

Halo 3 sold more out of the gate than Halo 2 on a much smaller user base so it shouldn't be a problem for GoW3 to have a better opening than GoW2. I think GoW3 will open between 850k and 1 million. Anything more or less than that should be considered a surprise.

Shurs

EagleEyes said:
Halo 3 sold more out of the gate than Halo 2 on a much smaller user base so it shouldn't be a problem for GoW3 to have a better opening than GoW2. I think GoW3 will open between 850k and 1 million. Anything more or less than that should be considered a surprise.

Halo is the definition of a system seller, its release was an event. God of War is a well regarded series, but it is nowhere near the same league as Halo.

derder

Shurs said:
Halo is the definition of a system seller, its release was an event. God of War is a well regarded series, but it is nowhere near the same league as Halo.
After ODST, I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Halo Reach won't bring in many more system sales.

donny2112

derder said:
After ODST, I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Halo Reach won't bring in many more system sales.

I'm pretty sure he was talking just about Halo 3. Notice how he was referring to its release in a past tense (which doesn't exclude ODST, but that release was nothing compared to Halo 3's), and Halo 3 had a six month advertising lead-in, IIRC.

Shurs

derder said:

As Eagle Eyes' post was referencing to Halo 3, my post, which was directly in response to his, was referring to Halo 3 as well.

pr0cs

derder said:
I expect a pretty large push for Reach, I wouldn't count out Halo just yet. Microsoft is pretty good at marketing their software as 'must have'.

ZZMitch

derder said:

ODST was pretty much an expansion pack and it sold around 1.5M in its first NPD month... I could see Reach doing 3 million+ like Halo 3 did, maybe even more.

yurinka

Sony said first shipment in Spain is 130K, same number than Killzone 2 and more than Uncharted 2 (really pro-Sony market).

Subitai

smurfx said:
2a7bozr.gif
Mama Robotnik said:

Jtyettis said:
Just in case people missed this stuff.

Anyway with a few exceptions, given the numbers of the last 4 months, it appears that many of us really can't use the past as a way to make predictions that have any reasonable chance of coming true. Game buyers and companies are going to make many of us appear as fools over the coming 10 months.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DMeisterJ said:
So White Knight Chronicles sold less than 100k this month?

For shame.
Do you realize how many console JRPGs have sold over 100k this generation in its 1st NPD month? Cuz the answer seems to be 1 or 2, depending on how you classify Demons' Souls.

DMeisterJ said:
So White Knight Chronicles sold less than 100k this month?

Who would ever have thought that a a) JRPG that b) took over a year to see Western release on c) an extremely import-friendly platform and which had d) negative word of mouth and reviews would sell badly e) in the US!

fbgamer

Banned
I sort of expected Heavy Rain to not sell that well in its first month. I thought Dante's Inferno would get a bit more though...interesting.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I was just surprised that Heavy Rain, in one week, doubled (or more) what WKC did in quadruple the time of Heavy Rain.

Edit:

I compared the two only because both games are not mainstream, and both had slim (i.e.: No) marketing.

AniHawk

WKC:
-released on the worst-performing system in the states
-is a new IP
-spits on small children
-some other fourth thing
-wasn't advertised (at least to my knowledge)
-hit in the same timeframe as Bioshock 2, ME2, GoW III, and especially FFXIII
-has an average review of "above average" going from a 1-10 scale and "below average" going from a 7-10 scale.
-is a JRPG

and people thought it would do better than 100k in a month? Tales of Vesperia had more things going for it and it took months to hit 100k.

EDIT: oh, I see. Well, Heavy Rain's success is a little weird I guess.

AniHawk

grandjedi6 said:
for Sonic to degrade to that level?

No way man, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode IV: A New Hope is gonna rock. They're gonna finally bring Sonic back to his roots and make the game all about SPEED

HAL_Laboratory said:
Yeah and obviously I'm kidding about Nintendo's sales; they still have a looooong way to go to even reach PS2's numbers. Wii does appear to be losing steam in NA at this time.

donny2112 said:
It outsold PS2's February 2004 by 10%, and I think it's something like 5-6 million ahead of PS2's pace already. Just saying.
When the wii has overtaken in time comparisons and looks to continue to do so I wonder how Sony is gonna handle celebrating the PS2 10 year cycle next year with this information in mind. It's amazing how much marketshare Nintendo has gained this gen.

Chris R

WKC has legs, similar to VC imo. The game will continue to sell thanks to a pretty good online mode. I bet it goes over 500k lifetime (not counting JPN sales) but again it will be a slow crawl. Continued pushing by various people online and from friends/ect and eventually a price drop will sell even more units.

Top Bottom