• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
rhfb said:
WKC has legs, similar to VC imo. The game will continue to sell thanks to a pretty good online mode. I bet it goes over 500k lifetime (not counting JPN sales) but again it will be a slow crawl. Continued pushing by various people online and from friends/ect and eventually a price drop will sell even more units.
How can something that just came out have "legs"? And I agree with Anihawk, 500k is really absurd number. Lost Odyssey is probably still the best selling console JRPG this gen and last we saw it was nowhere near that number.

grandjedi6 said:
How can something that just came out have "legs"? And I agree with Anihawk, 500k is really absurd number. Lost Odyssey is probably still the best selling console JRPG this gen and last we saw it was nowhere near that number.
Fantasy worlds are fun though.

Just like the world in which the Conduit or Mad World are big releases. That world is freaking hilarious.

On the most recent 4G1U, Garnett Lee said he has heard whispers that HR has sold 3/4 of a million in the US alone. N'Gai Croal confirmed he heard the same thing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
templeusox said:
On the most recent 4G1U, Garnett Lee said he has heard whispers that HR has sold 3/4 of a million in the US alone. N'Gai Croal confirmed he heard the same thing.
I have a hard time believing that Heavy Rain has not only outperformed its opening week, but tripled it in the last two weeks. Perhaps those are just shipment numbers.

Chris R

grandjedi6 said:
500k was NA+Europe, so I don't really think that is really THAT absurd, and by legs I mean it should continue to sell 10k+ WW every month for the rest of the year really.

Sure I'm probably 100% wrong, I just enjoy the game and wish more people would give it a chance (if you hate FFXIII's "corridors" then this is the game for you :lol 2nd to the last dungeon is HUGE)

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

PS3: 72.5 (October 8, 2008)
Wii: 73.8 (September 29, 2008)
X360: 100.6 (March 25, 2008)

So X360 passes 100 weeks of average ownership for the first time. Should hit two years in a month or two.

Wii passes 2 billion total weeks ownership this month; X360 will next month.

kswiston

Penguin said:
Probably not easy to find, but anyone has a Top 10/20 best selling games of this generation? Curious where NSMBW and MW 2 sit.

Thanks
We got an All-Time Top 10 list without number two months ago from NPD (for all console games since 1995). Most of it was current gen games. A couple Years ago, Forbes published a similar list, with numbers, using NPD data. Madden NFL 2007 was #3 on the 2008 list with 7.7M copies sold between all versions. It was #8 on the updated 2010 list.

Combining the two:

Home consoles only, not counting pack in games like Wii Sports:

#1) Wii Play
#2) Guitar Hero 3 (all versions)
#3) Modern Warfare 2 (all versions) - close to 10M
#4) Wii Fit
#5) Mario Kart Wii
#6) Call of Duty 4 (all versions) > 7.7M
#7) Madden 2007 (all versions including last gen systems) ~7.7M
#8) Call of Duty: WaW (all versions)

Other games rounding out the Top 10 could be GTAIV, Halo 3, or another Madden. Not sure

NSMB Wii will be on the list later in the year, but right now it falls short with 5.4M sold to date in the US.

Kunan

AniHawk said:
No way man, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode IV: A New Hope is gonna rock. They're gonna finally bring Sonic back to his roots and make the game all about SPEED
heh that's an awesome way to put it

FrankT

templeusox said:

What are they smoking. An additional 500k in the last two weeks I think not. I suspect it will be lucky to break past 250k for the month although it might with the 5 week period.

Zen

Banned
templeusox said:

Did this come before or after this months NPD :lol

EVEN IF it was 'worldwide' Sony would be shouting from the roof tops because that would make it the fastest selling PS3 title EVER by like a factor of some healthy number. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
JoshuaJSlone said:
System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

PS3: 72.5 (October 8, 2008)
Wii: 73.8 (September 29, 2008)
X360: 100.6 (March 25, 2008)

So X360 passes 100 weeks of average ownership for the first time. Should hit two years in a month or two.

Wii passes 2 billion total weeks ownership this month; X360 will next month.

I've seen you post this in other NPD threads, and I always wondered what average ownership and total ownership is and what it tells us about the consoles. That's not a metric I'm familiar with.

VanMardigan said:
I've seen you post this in other NPD threads, and I always wondered what average ownership and total ownership is and what it tells us about the consoles. That's not a metric I'm familiar with.
Sometimes we see comparisons that will bring up things like what the tie ratio for different consoles were at the same age or when the same number of consoles were sold, but I thought there was more detail that could be taken into account. If a console has a huge month, its tie ratio might be stagnant or even drop because of so many new users with few games. On the other hand, a console suffering supply (or interest) shortages might have its increase quicker, since it has a bigger share of older users who have had more time to buy games.

So I figured with the data we get, we can calculate pretty closely how long the average user of a console has had theirs. If they bought it in February, I assume they had it for half of February. If they bought it in January, I assume they had it for half of January and all of February. Adding all this up is where the total ownership comes from, and the average then comes from taking that and dividing it by the number of systems.

Real-world example: PS3 and Wii make an easy comparison since they launched days apart. PS3 dropped off quite a bit after launch, so it started to get a significantly "older" userbase than Wii; by more than a month on average, which is quite a bit when your systems haven't even been out a year. So when we'd see tie ratio numbers through that year that showed PS3's was slightly higher, it shouldn't have been much of a shock, or indication that Wii owners don't buy software.

As you can see things have changed quite a bit since then, though. Thanks to PS3 Slim causing a big boost for it in recent months, and Wii's February shortages being worse than PS3's (relative to existing userbase sizes), PS3 is now the one with the slightly younger userbase. At this point they're close enough that any differences in tie ratio are real differences, rather than a matter of one set of owners having 5 more weeks to buy games.

20100314averageps3wii.png

kswiston said:
We got an All-Time Top 10 list without number two months ago from NPD (for all console games since 1995). Most of it was current gen games. A couple Years ago, Forbes published a similar list, with numbers, using NPD data. Madden NFL 2007 was #3 on the 2008 list with 7.7M copies sold between all versions. It was #8 on the updated 2010 list.

Combining the two:

Home consoles only, not counting pack in games like Wii Sports:

#1) Wii Play
#2) Guitar Hero 3 (all versions)
#3) Modern Warfare 2 (all versions) - close to 10M
#4) Wii Fit
#5) Mario Kart Wii
#6) Call of Duty 4 (all versions) > 7.7M
#7) Madden 2007 (all versions including last gen systems) ~7.7M
#8) Call of Duty: WaW (all versions)

Other games rounding out the Top 10 could be GTAIV, Halo 3, or another Madden. Not sure

NSMB Wii will be on the list later in the year, but right now it falls short with 5.4M sold to date in the US.
Not sure if he meant this or not, but there's no way GH3 or the older Maddens are that high without PS2 numbers.

gkryhewy

grandjedi6 said:

What was the last reported LTD for Lost Odyssey (aka, from that February leak last year or whatever)?

I'm curious about whether FFXIII (360 ver) is likely to catch it pre-bargain bin. Could catch it in March alone if Lost Odyssey is really that low.

donny2112

Son of Godzilla said:
Not sure if he meant this or not, but there's no way GH3 or the older Maddens are that high without PS2 numbers.

GH3 has to include PS2 numbers. The Madden on that list already specifies "last gen systems."

templeusox said:
On the most recent 4G1U, Garnett Lee said he has heard whispers that HR has sold 3/4 of a million in the US alone.

There is like basically no conceivable way that this number has any relationship to reality. There's no real source that would be providing this information in terms of consumer sell-through yet (like, NPD isn't even going to have any "finished" numbers for the time after the February tracking period yet) and we know from a variety of sources that the game wasn't massively overshipped (lots of reports of sales matching closely with shipped numbers and copies getting low at many stores) so there's no way the game sold 1/3 of a 750k shipment.

Baki

Son of Godzilla said:
That leak was 380k or so. It had been out for a year. Launch month was 200k. FFXIII will easily pass it. Maybe. Probably not.

Should pass it definitely within 2 months. Maybe first month.

I'm expecting about 380K for the X360 version and about 560K for the PS3 version. (for the first month)

gkrykewy said:
I'm curious about whether FFXIII (360 ver) is likely to catch it pre-bargain bin.

If FFXIII dramatically improves on XII's performance and the split is really close (like, no bigger than 60-40 PS3-360) then XIII 360 could pass it month one.

I think realistically there's no way XIII 360 does less than LO's first month in March (200k is really close to the bottom bound.) I personally think it'll do more than LO's LTD over time but I certainly wouldn't call that a lock.

Baki

charlequin said:
If FFXIII dramatically improves on XII's performance and the split is really close (like, no bigger than 60-40 PS3-360) then XIII 360 could pass it month one.

I think realistically there's no way XIII 360 does less than LO's first month in March (200k is really close to the bottom bound.) I personally think it'll do more than LO's LTD over time but I certainly wouldn't call that a lock.

I think FFXIII 360 will pass LO LTD no problem (pre-bargain bin). But my question is, why is everyone here skeptical? I'm interested, sale-age wise. Maybe this information will help me for March production. God knows, I need it.

I don't think FFXIII will dramatically improve over FFXII but it will beat it overall. FFXII was disadvantaged by releasing during PS2 release.

Baki said:
I think FFXIII 360 will pass LO LTD no problem (pre-bargain bin). But my question is, why is everyone here skeptical?

Personally, I'm skeptical of XIII's overall performance. If the game only sells, say, 650k total its opening month, that could leave the 360 version at something like 250k and then see it struggle to go higher in later months.

This could just be me setting lowered expectations because I really like the game though. :lol

gkryhewy

charlequin said:
Personally, I'm skeptical of XIII's overall performance. If the game only sells, say, 650k total its opening month, that could leave the 360 version at something like 250k and then see it struggle to go higher in later months.

This could just be me setting lowered expectations because I really like the game though. :lol

Oh, I'm much more optimistic than you. I expect combined sales of about a million in the first month, with about 350k of those for the 360.

kswiston

Haunted said:
Did someone post first month NPD numbers for previous FF titles in this thread?

Not NPD numbers, but Sony had announced US sales of 330k for Final Fantasy VII after 1 week and 500k after 3 weeks. Not sure if that was sold or shipped. Either way, game sales (and media sales in general) are way more front loaded now than they were back then.

The news release is worth reading for a laugh: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1997_Sept_9/ai_19749216/

kswiston

Haunted said:
Wow you weren't kidding. unprecedented

I love the part where it says that the game made $17 million in its first week, "more than most Hollywood blockbuster movies on opening weekends"! And then goes on to list GI Jane as an example.

Taurus

kswiston said:
Not NPD numbers, but Sony had announced US sales of 330k for Final Fantasy VII after 1 week and 500k after 3 weeks. Not sure if that was sold or shipped. Either way, game sales (and media sales in general) are way more front loaded now than they were back then.

The news release is worth reading for a laugh: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1997_Sept_9/ai_19749216/
Final Fantasy VII also brings back many popular characters from previous games in the heralded Final Fantasy series, such as Cloud, Cid Highwind and Chocobo, while introducing new characters, specifically Aeris and Barret.
Interesting.

Pooya

About FFXIII 360 sales, I'm not sure if mygamercard.net is a good indication of a game popularity or not, but BC2 after about less than 2 weeks has ~27k players on leaderboards in mgc,FFXIII has ~15k after 5 days, MW2 has 70k for a reference, it doesn't mean much I know but the game must be popular a bit on 360? no? Live activity of last week should be a good indication when Mj.nelson put it up this week I think.

kswiston

miladesn said:
About FFXIII 360 sales, I'm not sure if mygamercard.net is a good indication of a game popularity or not, but BC2 after about less than 2 weeks has ~27k players on leaderboards in mgc,FFXIII has ~15k after 5 days, MW2 has 70k for a reference, it doesn't mean much I know but the game must be popular a bit on 360? no? Live activity of last week should be a good indication when Mj.nelson put it up this week I think.

Modern Warfare 2 has over 500k US users on MGC.NET. Not 70k.

kswiston

miladesn said:
oops, I saw the number on the leaderboards section :p, how can you see number of total players?

It says on the bottom of the page. Says something like "Rank is based on x number of US player out of a total of Y worldwide".

Anyhow, I don't know how good of a reference MGC.NET is anymore. Newer games have less players than you would expect regardless of actual sales. Modern Warfare 2 for 360 has sold like 6.5M copies in the US, but there are only 30k more players on the MGC leaderboards than Fallout 3. Based on MGC, you would think that Modern Warfare sold 5-10% more than Fallout 3, but in reality it sold 3-4x more. The difference makes even less sense when you consider that Fallout 3 was basically a single player game, and MW2 is basically a multiplayer game. One would expect Fallout 3 to be under-reported (due to people playing the game strictly offline), not the other way around.

I'm not sure those numbers are actually useful for much besides reconfirming people's instinct in this thread that BF:BC2 was going to outsell FFXIII on the 360.

Thomper

Taurus said:
Interesting.
I... guess that's kinda true? There's a Cid in previous Final Fantasy's, and a short Google-search showed a Final Fantasy-enemy called Cloud. Not even vaguely related, but hey, even back then nobody bothered to check the info a press-release, right?

hxa155

charlequin said:
There is like basically no conceivable way that this number has any relationship to reality. There's no real source that would be providing this information in terms of consumer sell-through yet (like, NPD isn't even going to have any "finished" numbers for the time after the February tracking period yet) and we know from a variety of sources that the game wasn't massively overshipped (lots of reports of sales matching closely with shipped numbers and copies getting low at many stores) so there's no way the game sold 1/3 of a 750k shipment.

Yeah. In an interview with Jack Tretton, Adam Sessler asks him about Heavy Rain and in the question he mentioned that the game was successful and that it sold close to 600k worldwide in the first week and Jack nodded in agreement.

So I guess maybe it sold .75 million worldwide, by now.

templeusox said:
Jtyettis said:
What are they smoking. An additional 500k in the last two weeks I think not. I suspect it will be lucky to break past 250k for the month although it might with the 5 week period.

I think this is a good opportunity to call these sources out on their garbage numbers next npd. They're trying to outdo chartzsssxz or something. *Prepares gifs.

Koren

Jive Turkey said:
:lol Wow.
Cid is in all Final Fantasy, including most spinoffs, even if its last name change. Usually an engineer. He's not often playable, though (first time was in 4, no?). Same for Chocobo.

Cloud, I'd think that it's a mistake. Yes, there's an enemy, but I see no connection, when it's completely obvious for Cid.

There's others characters "coming back", though, like Biggs and Wedge.

OnPoint

Koren said:
Cid is in all Final Fantasy, including most spinoffs, even if its last name change. Usually an engineer. He's not often playable, though (first time was in 4, no?). Same for Chocobo.

Cloud, I'd think that it's a mistake. Yes, there's an enemy, but I see no connection, when it's completely obvious for Cid.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but there were no Chocobos in the original FF.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Koren said:

Whew! Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression Final Fantasy started with VII!!!

Koren

Jive Turkey said:
Whew! Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression Final Fantasy started with VII!!!
If it's a way to suggest that I'm talking about things that everyones know, I'm sorry. I played SNES FF in japanese without knowing the language, back in time, so I discovered this kind of cameo later...

OnPoint said:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but there were no Chocobos in the original FF.
I think you're right.

I'm still wondering what they were doing in my Seiken 1, by the way :D

Top Bottom