• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Also, I wonder if Capcom isn't considering more seriously a Revelaitons port to Vita now (I'm not port begging, please don't ban me!).

I mean, they can't be satisfied with how the game charted. What happened? 3DS is doing good, RE is a beloved series and the game was really hyped, I really don't understand why it didn't perform better...

The audience is not there for it in North America on the 3DS. Also it isn't called RE6.

FGMPR

Banned
Which means they need to do a price drop. cmon EA, make it 10 bucks right now.

What game actually has been a success at all in the EA Partner program? Bulletstorm didnt make a profit and it sold a ton more than this game.

Crysis 1 has to be the most profitable, surely.

Saty

Can we update the OP with FF and UFC numbers?

Syndicate bombed harder than i thought. I have no qualms about it. Commercial wise, the EA Partners thing didn't prove itself save for Crytek and Valve games, but those don't really count.

Thoraxes

I'm wondering if or how Sony will react to Vita sales.

Honestly what I gather from all the PR and interviews is that they don't expect it to sell like gangbusters and are fine with it selling like it is with no price drops. I sold mine already though (for a profit too because yay 25% Target discount), but i'll pick one up again after another price drop and some games come out that have lasting value that I like.

JJD

The audience is not there for it in North America on the 3DS. Also it isn't called RE6.

Do we know the japanese numbers? If there's not an audience for a big RE game in the USA they can't expect it to perform much better on other territories.

FGMPR

Banned
Can we update the OP with FF and UFC numbers?

Syndicate bombed harder than i thought. I have no qualms about it. Commercial wise, the EA Partners thing didn't prove itself save for Crytek and Valve games, but those don't really count.

I don't see why the partners program has failed, exactly. The premise is still sound, and the quality of most of the games has been decent... they just haven't been games that have sold overly well. I'm not sure how that can really be attributed to the program itself.

Also, I wonder if Capcom isn't considering more seriously a Revelaitons port to Vita now (I'm not port begging, please don't ban me!).

I mean, they can't be satisfied with how the game charted. What happened? 3DS is doing good, RE is a beloved series and the game was really hyped, I really don't understand why it didn't perform better...

I was thinking of buying the game, mainly for co op as everyone noted that it was the only way to play it. But I don't think I'm going to find many people playing it 2, 3 months from now...maybe I should spend my money getting Amalur.

Revalations hasnt sold very well so far (well except in japan) on 3ds, why on earth would capcom want to port it to a system only 3 men and a dog own

Raist

Banned

JJD

Revalations hasnt sold very well so far (well except in japan) on 3ds, why on earth would capcom want to port it to a system only 3 men and a dog own

To recoup costs? I doubt it would be too expensive to do a quick dirty port...

It was a success in Japan. Those are completely different markets.

Glad to hear it. I still haven't played the game (I will only get my 3DS and Vita on May since I'll have a business trip to the USA), but I'll definitely get it. I hope we see more portable RE games in the future (not multiplayer ones like Mercenaries).

Bladenic

Surprised Asura's Wrath is getting all this DLC support when it's mega bomba everywhere. Did Trollcom even bother to advertise at all, or did they just expect a million copies to magically sell themselves?

I really wanna know how much XIII-2 sold. Hope it's at least 700k (that's probably wishful thinking..)!

Revelaitons can't really be called bomba yet can it? Considering it's on a fledgling console and yatta yatta? Ah screw it, it's a bomba, Crapcom getting what they deserve.

DaBuddaDa

There is no excuse for games like Syndicate and Asura's Wrath sell only 35k during launch week. Games are too goddamn expensive; people are saving all their money for the big ones like CoD and refuse to spend a dime or anything else. It has to end.

fernoca

Though, re: Soulcalibur...

-Soulcalibur V did anything between 220k and 329k in aprox. 27 days. (was released January 31)

-Soulcalibur IV did 374.7k combined back in the July 2008 NPD chart (4-5 days: was released July 29, NPD was until August 2nd)

That should also be noted about Final Fantasy XIII-2. The game, like SCV was also released on January 31; compared to the March 9th release of FFXIII back then. Though XIII difference between 1+ million to 350k is still bigger.

I really wanna know how much XIII-2 sold. Hope it's at least 700k (that's probably wishful thinking..)!
350k combined.

Amir0x

Banned
thank holy christ Asura bombed.

I wonder if Curt Schilling thinks the Amalur numbers are positive. I don't think they're bad, but they were probably hoping for a 500,000 number or something. Want to hear what he thinks

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
XX. Syndicate - 34K

Oh this makes me happy. Game is garbage and was a terrible representation of what that franchise was all about. Also gives me hope that the silly XCOM shooter is going to tank too.

thank holy christ Asura bombed.

I wonder if Curt Schilling thinks the Amalur numbers are positive. I don't think they're bad, but they were probably hoping for a 500,000 number or something. Want to hear what he thinks

It probably did better in non UK Europe, they eat up RPG's like crazy.

Do we know the japanese numbers? If there's not an audience for a big RE game in the USA they can't expect it to perform much better on other territories.

13./13. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 7.444 / 251.560 (-39%)

Re: Syndicate

I'm glad and at the same time not glad it bombed.

Glad because the stupid trend of resurrecting old PC franchises as FPS/ TPSes needs to die.

Not glad because other than name, the game is pretty damn good. It is awesome. Art and style everything clicks.

Bladenic

Though, re: Soulcalibur...

-Soulcalibur V did anything between 220k and 329k in aprox. 27 days. (was released January 31)

-Soulcalibur IV did 374.7k combined back in the July 2008 NPD chart (4-5 days: was released July 29, NPD was until August 2nd)

That should also be noted about Final Fantasy XIII-2. The game, like SCV was also released on January 31; compared to the March 9th release of FFXIII back then. Though XIII difference between 1+ million to 350k is still bigger.

350k combined.

Um, where did you get this? I didn't see it in OP, sorry if I missed it.

But if true, dayum is that shitty. Like terribad. Pretty much flop status. So much for XIII-3 :'(

Ridley327

Rockband was for a while as well, but obviously that's not true anymore.

Like I said, the first Rock Band definitely did well, but the staggered release of Rock Band 2 really hurt sales in the long run and the Beatles version was not cheap to make. But that's more on MTV Games than anything EA did.

It's probably not even worth mentioning about what happened to that part of the rhythm game genre after 2009.

KorrZ

Wow...@ them Syndicate numbers. I can't say I'm surprised it didn't explode but to not even break 100k is ouch. a 6 hour campaign& some co-op is a tough sell at $60.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't make bets you'll lose.

That wasn't a bet. It was a guess, which is different. If it sold less than 80k, even better

I'm curious, did you ever go into detail anywhere?

No, I avoided the Resident Evil topic because it was the type of thread where it was so ridiculous with the praise I for once wasn't in the mood to go in there and be accused of trolling it simply because people were on their rainbow/unicorn/fairy dust trip. I will just say I cannot recall another time there was such a disconnect between the product I played and what these people were saying about the game in the GAF thread (well, Animal Crossing maybe...). People were saying it was like a return to horror Resident Evil, and I did not get that feeling at all. I was expecting a genuine darker RE horror game in the RE2 type (in terms of atmosphere; i understand it was to be broken up in bite sized chunks for handheld flavor). It did not deliver at all. There was also a myriad of gameplay problems, partially because of the 3DS control setup, and partially because of bad decisions.

JJD

eh, they'd have to port over MT mobile if they havent. Plus, it'd probably sell substantially less ie < 10k

Capcom must already have a version of MT Framework running on Vita, I really can't believe they won't support the platform in some way.

Anyway, I doubt that it would sell better than on the 3DS, but not that low...Vita owners are kinda desperate for new games aren't they?

13./13. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 7.444 / 251.560 (-39%)

Wow...I don't think those numbers are that good, but they're obviously way better than the US ones.

I'm old school, in my time RE releases would easily do 1 plus million...how the mighty have fallen...

Saty

I'd imagine that signing with EA Partners is largely driven by that they are a big company which is able to push and market the games. Sending games to die wasn't how they pictured it.

Ridley327

I'd imagine that signing with EA Partners is largely driven by that they are a big company which is able to push and market the games. Sending games to die wasn't how they pictured it.

I honestly believe that EA really wanted this to work out better, as it was one of the biggest things they had going for them, but Brutal Legend's failure definitely killed all their plans to seriously promote any of the games they signed.

Owzers

There is no excuse for games like Syndicate and Asura's Wrath sell only 35k during launch week. Games are too goddamn expensive; people are saving all their money for the big ones like CoD and refuse to spend a dime or anything else. It has to end.

I switched over to Gamefly, especially since Kmart no longer has their really good deals, and buying Skyrim for PS3 ruined buying games for me in the near future.

FGMPR

Banned
Capcom must already have a version of MT Framework running on Vita, I really can't believe they won't support the platform in some way.

Anyway, I doubt that it would sell better than on the 3DS, but not the low...Vita owners are kinda desperate for new games aren't they?

The Vita launch has been amazing, to be honest. Wipeout, Uncharted, Unit 13, UMvC3, Fifa (possibly the best version out there), Rayman: Origins etc is nothing to sniff at, though the coming months are looking a little threadbare.

Anyway, I doubt that it would sell better than on the 3DS, but not the low...Vita owners are kinda desperate for new games aren't they?

Wow...I don't think those numbers are that good, but they're obviously way better than the US ones.

I'm old school, in my time RE releases would easily do 1 plus million...how the mighty have fallen...

Vita users maybe desperate for new games but there's so few of them its really not worth bothering with

Brashnir

34k for Syndicate? ouch.

I wonder if this might be the end for Starbreeze. Hopefully they can get a deal with someone to make another game.

Microsoft should hire them to make Perfect Dark 2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

In Amalur's case Curt Schilling kind of implied they were the only ones willing to publish it.

EA Partners seems to kind of have two tiers, the "publishing this because we actually care" tier (Respawn, Crytek, Epic) and the "putting it out there since no one else will" tier (38 Studios, Rango, APB, Funcom).

They do have bombs in the former, and Syndicate was probably planned to be one when it was greenlit four years ago, but lost publisher support somewhere along the way.

Amir0x

Banned
also wow @ 350k for FFXIII-2. Thank the lord, these sales numbers are wonderful this month. Hopefully this shows SquareEnix that most people in America are not satisfied with that type of direction for their seminal RPG series, and we want a revamp. Return to relevancy please for your FF series SquareEnix. I don't want cheap rehashes with a play-itself gameplay system and IWANTTOROCKYOURCHOCOBO with saccharine, half-dimensional jpop archetype characters shitting up your every waking moment.

Go back to your roots, understand the atmosphere that compelled games like FFVI forward and the gameplay that made FFV rock, and reinsert the writing/voice work of a Matsuno-type FF (without him being forced out of the project and the game's plot being finished by what must have been a wild cocaine-addled baboon. Of course, that's still better than the plots of virtually every other FF game, which seemed to have been written by a festering pile of reanimated feces.)

fernoca

Um, where did you get this? I didn't see it in OP, sorry if I missed it.

But if true, dayum is that shitty. Like terribad. Pretty much flop status. So much for XIII-3 :'(

Hmm, where did you get that 350k number for FF13-2?
Was mentioned earlier yesterday by Kagari.

Seeing also the other posts with numbers it adds too; because:
-Just Dance 3 (Wii) was the top selling game for the month (individual SKU)
-Twisted Metal was #2 on the individual SKU, with 221k.
-Game #10 in that chart (Skyrim/360) did 135k.
-Only the PS3 version of FFXIII-2 made it into that Top 10.

Which puts the PS3 version at under 220k, but over 135k. And the 360 version with under 134k.

EDIT:
Forgot to add that all games in the Top 20 apparently did over 100k; which includes Super Mario 3D Land, Uncharted Golden Abyss and Mario Kart 7...but don't include Resident Evil Revelations (was hinted yesterday too, that no new games for the 3DS did 100k).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We only put officially sourced numbers in the OP in case you're curious why they aren't there.

That doesn't mean other numbers for sure aren't accurate, just that they don't go in the OP and are considered speculation.

Concept17

Twisted Metal's numbers seem pretty solid. Given that the franchise and genre have not existed for many years, I think it kind of goes to show people are always looking for a fresh experience. Congrats to Jaffe, best game I've played in years - hopefully will cross the million mark at some point.

JJD

The Vita launch has been amazing, to be honest. Wipeout, Uncharted, Unit 13, UMvC3, Fifa (possibly the best version out there), Rayman: Origins etc is nothing to sniff at, though the coming months are looking a little threadbare.

That's what I'm talking about, Vita looks like an amazing platform, but for me, besides some games in the launch lineup (Uncharted and Wipeout mostly) and Gravity Daze, there's nothing else announced for it that grab my interests.

I'll get one regardless of this, because I never owned a PSP and there's a bunch of PSP games in the PSN Store that I want, but I seriously hope Sony has a couple of announcements on E3 or people are going to be worried.

Top Bottom