• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Ridley327

Don't know, if this was asked before, I didn't found it, when I searched the thread for it, the NPD charts always say:

Does "bundled with hardware" include the Resident Evil: Revelations pack that came with a Circle Pad?

The US didn't get an actual bundle like that. Hell, it's been practically impossible to find a CPP on its own.

Bruno MB

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Japan --- 800,000
US --- 350,000
Europe --- ?

Total known sales --- 1,150,000

Unless it shows legs which is highly unlikely, it won't get past 2.5M lifetime sales.

Final Fantasy XIII in the same time-frame.

Japan --- 1,800,000
US --- 1,300,000
Europe --- ?

Total known sales --- 3,100,000

LOCK

People that call RE:R a bomba don't understand how handheld games sell, and expectations were to high for this new NPD format.

FF13-2 on the other hand is a bombaaaaaaaad.

Lebron

Well... FF13 also sold 882K/498K its first month whereas FF13-2 barely managed over 215K/140K ... so yeah.

Going from 1.3 million to ~350K is a huge drop.
Hopefully, the Fantasy will finally be over. Been all downhill since Sakaguchi left.

The US didn't get an actual bundle like that. Hell, it's been practically impossible to find a CPP on its own.

Thanks for the info, I thought this was released world wide, no problem finding a circle pad here in germany. I guess Nintendo is diverting more pads to europe, because of the better Euro exchange rate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Japan --- 800,000
US --- 350,000
Europe --- ?

Total known sales --- 1,150,000

Unless it shows legs which is highly unlikely, it won't get past 2.5M lifetime sales.

Final Fantasy XIII in the same time-frame.

Japan --- 1,800,000
US --- 1,300,000
Europe --- ?

Total known sales --- 3,100,000

Europe was around 1 million iirc for FF13... I can't imagine their region being much more than US sales for 13-2.

BryanHawkProfile.jpg

Well it should outsell The Mercenaries 3D with a good margin then :)

The budget on revelations probably surpasses the Mercenaries 3D by a good margin too though.

People that call RE:R a bomba don't understand how handheld games sell, and expectations were to high for this new NPD format.

Handheld games don't sell any different, your thinking about how nintendo first party tittles sell. RE:R is not going to have the same legs as most Nintendo titles.

Peff

did it have many days in February?

I got to say I too would be perfectly OK with it bombing. It was one of my most hyped 3DS games, and people on GAF had these impressions, and it just left me gobsmacked when I played it. I've probably never experienced a bigger disconnect between the gushing, overhyped impressions and the actual experience of playing it. The game did not do itself favors for the vast majority of my playtime. I'd give it like a 5/10 or something

I'm curious, did you ever go into detail anywhere?

allan-bh

So, less than 135k for FF XIII-2 (360)

It's very bad. Although sales on PS3 are not too good either, if sold ~350k total.

Effect

The budget on revelations probably surpasses the Mercenaries 3D by a good margin too though.

Handheld games don't sell any different, your thinking about how nintendo first party tittles sell. RE:R is not going to have the same legs as most Nintendo titles.

Capcom said Revelations was made along side Mercenaries 3D with Merc being finished first. I wonder if they were internally treated as two separate projects or just one with perhaps the same development team and shared assets. Perhaps the number of sales for both doesn't need to be high in the end if they are looked at as one project.

3DS sales aren't exactly strong either. I hope Nintendo realizes that launching the exact game series that they did with the DS is not going to expand their portable userbase (especially with increased smartphone competition). It's pretty likely at this point that neither the Vita or 3DS will sell as well as their predecessors. The Vita might have a shot if Sony really plays their cards right but I don't see that happening.

I tend to agree with you, that I don't see the 3DS outselling the DS, but this is more a gut feeling, from the numbers, the 3DS outsold both, the DS and the PSP, during it's first 12 months.

TheNatural

My Member!
I wonder how far Vita will drop with the barren months ahead. The launch is the strongest part of an early system's life, and it was horrible. We may not even get numbers from here on out to be honest, they'll play it like they do the PSP for years - nothing said at all about how it sells.

Anyone know what Square's expectations were for 13-2? I mean these sales aren't looking that great for their flagship title. Big decline. But I mean...they had to expect it...right?

Toth

No matter what sales are initially for 13-2, it is a game designed to make money through DLC. It is very difficult to gauge how much more revenue / profit that brings in but it may indeed make as much money as X-2 and maybe even 13.

BTW When the second highest selling game this month sells 350k ish, doesn't that speak more about the state of the industry than on game quality?

BTW Part 2. After yesterday's patch, FFXIV is finally resurrected to a point where the game has become...gasp...very fun.

No matter what sales are initially for 13-2, it is a game designed to make money through DLC. It is very difficult to gauge how much more revenue / profit that brings in but it may indeed make as much money as X-2 and maybe even 13.

BTW When the second highest selling game this month sells 350k ish, doesn't that speak more about the state of the industry than on game quality?

BTW Part 2. After yesterday's patch, FFXIV is finally resurrected to a point where the game has become...gasp...very fun.
Doesn't really matter how they intend to milk more money out of those who did buy it though, because they have to see the bigger picture here, and that is the negative effects on the brand itself.

And if they release a 3 sooner rather than later....ouch.

There is not even a remote possibility that they will match FF XIII revenue with DLC. Not a chance.

You can't sell DLC on a game that didn't sell. Unless they make it a standalone episode.

jcm

There is not even a remote possibility that they will match FF XIII revenue with DLC. Not a chance.

Maybe profit, though. FFXIII was in development for a long time. It can't have been a terribly profitable project.

Edit: Probably not. FFXIII sold better than I thought; 6.2M units covers a multitude of sins.

Anth0ny

did it have many days in February?

I got to say I too would be perfectly OK with it bombing. It was one of my most hyped 3DS games, and people on GAF had these impressions, and it just left me gobsmacked when I played it. I've probably never experienced a bigger disconnect between the gushing, overhyped impressions and the actual experience of playing it. The game did not do itself favors for the vast majority of my playtime. I'd give it like a 5/10 or something

Pretty much how I feel. Very disappointing considering all the impressions.

The graphics were nice and the bosses were really cool. That's about it. Better than RE5, but that's not saying much.

Mark MacD does a pretty good job breaking down the game's problems on 8-4 play.

Ricker

FFXIII-2 is not a bomba,350k is not that bad...so if it's in second place with 350k and Twisted Metal is 9th at 225K,that's around 300k for Amular? not bad but I would like to hear some comments from geirigh(Curt Schilling) to see if they are satisfied with those numbers...

Top Bottom