• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

big youth

Probably about the same. People who have decided to buy a Vita probably thinks "why the hell not?" when they see the CoD bundle.
Posts like these remind me that gafers have a warped perception of the game market. Much of the population makes uninformed impulse buys. The CoD bundle would probably be a perfect example of that.

Those days are never coming back I'm afraid.
You can bet if PS4 is smashing success and Vita gets back to resonable levels Sony will be giving press releases every month ;)
You know, you're probably right heh. Sony is the most cynical of the lot by a mile, after all they're the ones who started making a fuss over NPD releasing juicy console breakdowns when they saw no "return of the king".

Frillen

Good Sly performance considering zero marketing. Been a while since I've played a Sly game, but will most likely pick it up some time in April after I've finished Bioshock.

Pachterballs seriously needs to be banned. Don't know why he gets away with that blatant trolling. His intentions are clearer than crystal.

Good Sly performance considering zero marketing. Been a while since I've played a Sly game, but will most likely pick it up some time in April after I've finished Bioshock.

Pachterballs seriously needs to be banned. Don't know why he gets away with that blatant trolling. His intentions are clearer than crystal.

I've wondered how he gets away with it as well.

Massa

Posts like these remind me that gafers have a warped perception of the game market. Much of the population makes uninformed impulse buys. The CoD bundle would probably be a perfect example of that.

The CoD bundle was a limited offer from last Holiday season. The reason it still shows up on NPD's is because it didn't sell out.

I've wondered how he gets away with it as well.
I was thinking if everyone had him on ignore because I know I couldnt be the only one seeing these post polluting the thread, or any other thread for that matter.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Glad to see Sly charted! I wasn't expecting a dud, but the reviews have been really great! Might have to pick it up while Best Buy is still offering $10 off either version.

Fire Emblem's numbers also surprised me in a good way! I mean, it may not have charted, but it's up against all of these multiplatform games.

Crazy that the 360 alone nearly sold as much as all of the Nintendo platforms combined.

big youth

The CoD bundle was a limited offer from last Holiday season. The reason it still shows up on NPD's is because it didn't sell out.

Vita is selling poorly across the board, but relative to the weak sales, I expect the CoD bundle sold well.

another example is Aliens: Colonial Marines, with sales many are considering surprising, but the average consumer buys games like this. just like CoD it's a familiar franchise with familiar gameplay.

big youth

Man knowing FE could have done so much better if nintendo didn't have supply constraints really makes me upset.

but it resulted in more downloads, which is pure profit. I imagine it also transitioned more people towards the eshop. it's another NoA blunder, but could be a win for Nintendo in the long run

I was thinking if everyone had him on ignore because I know I couldnt be the only one seeing these post polluting the thread, or any other thread for that matter.

Not to pile on or get meta, but I always felt like I missed something when it comes to him. The vast majority of his posts are trolling or extreme console warrior, and not in a funny jovial way like say Wario64, but a clearly mean-spirited intent.

I could never work out how he hadn't been reprimanded for that, so I just assumed he was some GAF approved official troll.

On topic: Just woke up, did we get an idea on MGR yet?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
i think it's a conceptually confused piece of design, and it shows in the software. nintendo was too scared to rely on anything but their main franchise titles at launch, where the wii only had zelda (albeit one of the best-selling in the series).

Wii U also only had one franchise (and one game in that), Mario, didn't it?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seeing the internet revert almost completely to the Gamecube era is pretty nostalgic and fascinating. Its like the Wii didn't happen at all. Nintendo's just right back there at the bottom and worse than ever; they woke up one morning and the dream was dead.

prag16

Banned

Heh, he's not the only one, though some of the others at least veil it thinly.

I guess it's too broad, but I automatically half-ignore anybody with a Kaz avatar now, just because of Pachterballs. lol

Bowler

I wonder what a $199 vita bundle every day price would do in the US.... with some of those figures, I'd imagine not much. Sad NA, sad.

Celine

Wii U also only had one franchise (and one game in that), Mario, didn't it?
Albeit TP was clearly a GC game, it surely was more enticing than NSMBU for early adopters IMO.
And I speak as a WiiU owner that have yet to buy a retail game.

I'm sure NSMBU is a fun game but not one that can excite on the prospect of a system.

daxgame

Seeing the internet revert almost completely to the Gamecube era is pretty nostalgic and fascinating. Its like the Wii didn't happen at all. Nintendo's just right back there at the bottom and worse than ever; they woke up one morning and the dream was dead.

and yet they still make profits. It's kinda disturbing and funny at the same time.

javac

I guess its more to do with the fact that the Wii was never sustainable. Them levels of sales and profits were insane. Its not impossible to recreate, but that's the thing, you don't just recreate it, the fire has to be kindled, it has to natural. You can just make a system with that amount of popularity and relevance in pop culture. Its the equivalent of trying to make yourself a meme or something.

The GameCube was pretty much in line with what a company like Nintendo would expect to sell. Maybe a little more, but outside of the handheld game Nintendo home consoles have lingered along them lines.

It was profitable, and sold well enough to keep Nintendo more then alive.

Of course they want to move more units, but the GameCube wasn't that bad. Its not really accepting second (or third place) but really selling within the realms of possibility. Nintendo are a relatively small company, and I maintain the notion that there can exist many different tiers of console, just like phones, or TV's, I don't believe that there should be all 3 consoles that are all the same, but low end, mid end and high end gaming consoles and exist on the market together. Its just all about giving the consumer the software and price-point to match.

Let me make it clear that I do believe that Nintendo can sell gangbusters, and have the potential to do it with handhelds and home system alike, its just not always going to happen, and even when it does, things will most likely always start of bleak.

I'm also sure that the effects of the Wii will live on within Nintendo and the gaming industry forever, good or bad. Good because all that profit wont disappear over night and bad because no system will match its power it had in culture in general and sales for a long time, if ever.

Hope that made sense.

Ricker

So much for the rumoured story about DS3 not selling enough blah blah..what was that all about lol...oh and clever way for Nintendo to cover the slow WiiU sales with the new ecosystem hehe...

Yoshi

Albeit TP was clearly a GC game, it surely was more enticing than NSMBU for early adopters IMO.
And I speak as a WiiU owner that have yet to buy a retail game.

I'm sure NSMBU is a fun game but not one that can excite on the prospect of a system.

If you are a Wii U owner and own no retail game, buy Mario. Thanks to the challenge mode I've played it for almost 80 hours and had more fun than I had with either of the other three NSMBs. It's definitely the NSMB for "core gamers" in that it demands total dedication to really master it.

Celine

If you are a Wii U owner and own no retail game, buy Mario. Thanks to the challenge mode I've played it for almost 80 hours and had more fun than I had with either of the other three NSMBs. It's definitely the NSMB for "core gamers" in that it demands total dedication to really master it.
I'm totally sure NSMBU is a worthy game, what I mean is that it is hard for a "predicable" series like NSMB (just think how NSMB2 came out a few months before NSMBU) to excite gamers enough to buy a system.

EagleEyes

dudebros too busy playing another shooting game...

This confirms that ps3 gamers have the superior gaming taste
People should think before they post stuff like this. Look at the best selling games on PS3 and guess what you'll see. Just this month alone DS3 on PS3 more than likely outsold MGR on PS3. Smh

Yoshi

I'm totally sure NSMBU is a worthy game, what I mean is that it is hard for a "predicable" series like NSMB (just think how NSMB2 came out a few months before NSMBU) to excite gamers enough to buy a system.

Oh sorry, I totally agree on your point (and think Nintendo should have seen beforehand that NSMBU will not suffice nor have a strong pull a few months after NSMB2), I just wanted to recommend it to you anyway :).

SmokyDave

Well if it's just 3 days it may not have done so terrible. Maybe people picked it up this month since there isn't anything noteworthy.
I ought to add that I don't actually know when it was released, I just saw someone earlier in the thread saying that it only had 3 days on sale in this reporting period.

Celine

Also , since I'm talking about the WiiU, I still think that WiiU is in a better position than GC despite the early sales data see WiiU tracking lower than GC in US and a just bit higher in Japan (but not for long).

D.Lo

So January WiiU number was caused by returns? Why else would Feb be up?

Nintendo reaaaally should have not released NSMB2. If NSMBU was the only new one it would have been "The next NSMB OMG I love those games!" not "Oh... another NSMB..."

So January WiiU number was caused by returns? Why else would Feb be up?
Everything is up.

Code:
	[B]per week % increase over January[/B]
[B]X360[/B]	34.34
[B]PS3[/B]	63.75
[B]Wii[/B]	23.75
[B]WiiU[/B]	44.74
[B]3DS[/B]	62.93
[B]NDS[/B]	80.36
[B]PSV[/B]	35.71
[B]PSP[/B]	12.50

Burai

shitonmychest57
I guess its more to do with the fact that the Wii was never sustainable. Them levels of sales and profits were insane. Its not impossible to recreate, but that's the thing, you don't just recreate it, the fire has to be kindled, it has to natural. You can just make a system with that amount of popularity and relevance in pop culture. Its the equivalent of trying to make yourself a meme or something.

The Wii was completely sustainable as a concept. The problem is they let the platform stagnate for two years and finally followed it up with an unappealing gimmick.

Smartphones didn't take the Wii audience. Nintendo just sat there and let them go.

kinggroin

Banned
It's nice to talk about these things, I mean we need something to do for hundreds of posts on this message board, but I personally dont think Wii U has any realistic hope no matter the scenario.

Doesn't matter if they "relaunch" (whatever that would even mean), doesn't matter if games x y and z release, doesn't matter if they price drop, doesn't matter doesn't matter doesn't matter.

I hate to even bring it up, but it always gets back imo to they didn't put enough grunt in the system. That and the controller now actually seems to be an active detriment. Their only hope was to get casuals, and clearly they didn't. This has absolutely no chance with the core gamers, who are completely rejecting it. So when the casuals didn't bite, the only sales hope was to go back to the core gamers. And the core laughed at Wii U. So you end up with numbers like 66k sales.

I suppose I can sort of see what Nintendo was trying to do, even if I vehemently disagreed with and predicted Wii U death from the outset. But it hasn't even met what you would call the most modest success.

You may be right in the end, but you're damning the system amongst core gamers, based on 3/4 months on the market with maybe 3 games worth playing exclusively on this system?

I'm not optimistic either, but I'm going to wait at least until they actually bring out great software this year.

If by next January NPD,things haven't drastically improves (I'm talking, selling at least 200k), then I'll join the white flag party.

javac

The Wii was completely sustainable as a concept. The problem is they let the platform stagnate for two years and finally followed it up with an unappealing gimmick.

Smartphones didn't take the Wii audience. Nintendo just sat there and let them go.

Is it tho? The sales were pretty insane, I feel that no matter what Nintendo chose to do, it wouldn't have reaped the the same rewards as what they gained from Wii.

The Wii crowd was destined to go, it's less to do with the Wii stagnating (that obviously happened) but even if they kept it fresh, eventually they would have went to the next cool thing. Phones are very cool in this moment of time. Look at the galaxy s 4 conference, things have changed.

Who knows, I'm just stating my feelings. I'm not perfect so I'm sure my logic may be flawed and wrong, I can only speak of how I feel.

Tom_Cody

Man knowing FE could have done so much better if nintendo didn't have supply constraints really makes me upset.

but it resulted in more downloads, which is pure profit. I imagine it also transitioned more people towards the eshop. it's another NoA blunder, but could be a win for Nintendo in the long run
Right.

Their release model was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Hardcore fans got physical copies which they will treasure and people like me were able to download it once word of its quality got out.

javac

Right.

Their release model was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Hardcore fans got physical copies which they will treasure and people like me were able to download it once word of its quality got out.

I wonder of the European release will be the same? I have it pre-ordered for £26 so hopefully I get it!

QaaQer

Its true. They tried to capitalize on the wii name with wii U. Unfortunately, for Ninty, there isn't enough wii in the wii u.

Hindsight is 20/20, yadda yadda...but I'm thinking that if Nintendo had extended the wii philosophy with the wii u instead doing a U-turn (sorry for the pun) and dumping the fun accessible hook of wiimote motion gaming for a giant-ass intimidating controller, they would be doing better.

And yes I know you can use wiimotes with wii u, but that isn't the focus of the console and it is not how they are selling it.

Top Bottom