• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

C4Lukins

Sort of positive for all three next gen consoles? Or current gen for the sake of that one guy who is annoyed by the terminology.

I expected a bit better from PS4 maybe after the amazing start, but it is still supply constrained. Sure you can find one if you look hard, but not having them readily available and visible at retail is going to have an impact. The "quick" death of the PS3 is a little surprising. I am not sure if someone has posted the numbers yet, just going off OP here, but if MS still has 43% of the console market with PS4 being number one and adding Wii and Wii U it does not look good.

MS had a nice comeback. Still number 2 in their strongest market as far as next gen, but I was not expecting a spike until March. The 360 is still chugging along, but like the PS3 it seems to be dying off a bit quicker then I would have expected. Both PS3 and 360 really need to get super budget pricing going on before they fade out of retail.

As for Nintendo. The Wii U numbers are not impressive, but they are still breathing. If they can keep some mindshare through Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, they may be able to keep the console afloat for a couple more years. I doubt they are going to be all that impactfull this gen, but they may be forced to head start the next gen, which could benefit them in the long run.

Now to slog my way through the thread to find the info that does not make the OP.

def sim

It was a business decision that probably did not pay off

It's not like it is something foreign to Sony, they locked up EA Sports from the Dreamcast back in the good old days

EA games were also not on Xbox until MS allowed them to use their own online infrastructure. It happens, yeah, definitely.

The scenario where EA apologizes to Sony for a business decision, poor as it may be, doesn't sound realistic to me, however.

Good. I'm glad the 360 version will be 30fps. The 360 is last gen. Maybe this will force some to buy a new console. Glad it's not going to be the exact same.

Ridley327

So lego games seem to do noticeably better on XB1 then PS4 even with the lead in place. Guess XB1 is selling better to a younger demographic?

Between LEGO and Just Dance doing better on Xbone, it definitely seems that way.

Makes it that much stranger that MS has fuck-all for them, besides Kinect Sports Rivals.

I... am having a hard time of understanding what you are trying to say.

I don't think Xbone had better software in the January or February, I'm saying that there were more people who were willing to buy the Xbone early to get Titanfall, rather than purchasing both at the same time. I think that there were many people who were willing to buy the xbone and just settle with a lesser known game, and many who were probably willing to buy a PS4 over an XBone decided otherwise since the PS4 has had such a massive supply constraint in the past month. Sure, people who were wanted the PS4 were going to get the PS4, but those people who were on the fence might have taken the Xbone instead for satisfaction now rather than wait for the PS4 in the future.
Originally my reply was in regards to this:

"Damn them XBone numbers. That is pretty crazy. I have a feeling that March will be the one for Microsoft

I am still baffled with how Sony continues to sell so much despite having like almost nothing on their new console. I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be the most successful console this generation by far. Regardless, I have the feeling that you may see massive sales from console exclusives in the future, but significantly fewer console purchases attached to those sales. Sony has a crazy hype machine going, and I think a lot of people are buying into it early, while few are waiting."

Both consoles have had basically the same software since launch and both are getting a major exclusive/console exclusive this month. I am trying to understand how you can assume that Xbox One's sales are software or future software related and PS4s is only because of a "crazy hype machine".

TyrantII

]Someone with marketing knowledge needs to get up in this bitch. They have this shit down to a science right now. I am not one of those people, but I've talked to them. They all say "DONT SLEEP ON INFAMOUS!"

Sony also used it's own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn't even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full "We're so fucking sorry, Sony" mode currently.

One thing people tend to forget is Sony is also world wide, though obviously the NA market is the biggest price. But if NA was their only concern, titles like Killzone would have been long dead. The EU, AUS eat that up much more than the American market. Here it only does, ok.

As for EA, they can start by fixing fucking Battlefield. On all platforms.

catmario

The same amount of views since october vs the same amount of views from 2 weeks ago.

You don't think there is a difference there?

Someone with marketing knowledge needs to get up in this bitch. They have this shit down to a science right now. I am not one of those people, but I've talked to them. They all say "DONT SLEEP ON INFAMOUS!"

Sony also used it's own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn't even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full "We're so fucking sorry, Sony" mode currently.

Also, Titanfall 360 is 30 fps. That's just for free for reading my post.

Am I see that big bomba, right?

So Titanfall 360 for 30 frame.... :(

The PS4 was supply constrained the month before that though wasn't it? PS4 did ~280k in Jan and Feb. Xbone did 143k and then 258k. We know the PS4 did the same because of supply, why did the XBone increase?

People getting lulled by the hype for THAT one game supposed to be the next big thing on it (XBO).

I fucking hated Sony and EA for many many years after that :p

I didn't hate them, I enjoyed the PS2 far too much lol I hated them for fucking up the PS3 so much in 2006 though and I do dislike the convenient cherry picking from gamers though, what's right is right, if one is being called out the other should be also.

Then we all get furious or something lol

Youtube views, fantastic

Good night

Goodnight.

Why do you think that these things exist? So much data is collected in so many different ways and, yes, youtube views are part of it. I don't even think that's a stretch. If people are watching commercials for games on youtube they are interested in seeing said game. It seems to me to be a pretty accurate gauge to find out interest. But it's more than that. It's google searches. It's twitter mentions. It's preorder numbers. It's views on their own stores. They take all of this data and can usually tell when a game is going to do well and when it isn't. Most of the time a game "is sent out to die" it's because they studied all this info and came to the conclusion "no one gives a fuck about this game, don't waste marketing money on it."

The times they are a changin'.

Chobel

Good. I'm glad the 360 version will be 30fps. The 360 is last gen. Maybe this will force some to buy a new console. Glad it's not going to be the exact same.

WTF? Why do you even care what other people do? Are you really happy that X360 version is a bad port (comparing to Xbone)?

Between LEGO and Just Dance doing better on Xbone, it definitely seems that way.

Makes it that much stranger that MS has fuck-all for them, besides Kinect Sports Rivals.

Just Dance I can understand because you buy a camera with the system so it kind of sells itself but lego is more an outlier in my mind

Still interesting if that will continue going forward

So lego games seem to do noticeably better on XB1 then PS4 even with the lead in place. Guess XB1 is selling better to a younger demographic?
I think there's definitely more "family audience" on there due to the inclusion of Kinect and building association with brands like JD during the last few years.

We saw it last year as well with Lego Marvel, iirc. If Disney Infinity was on the PS4/XB1, I imagine that would sell better on the XB1 as well.

EDIT: That said, I'd also probably note it's more of an affluent family box at the current price-tag.

I'm going to take people who study numbers and trends over a thread in which fanboys are defensive about not having a game.

I realize those replies are pure Butthurt but Sonys not gonna tell EA they did a good thing by cutting them out. Of course they are gonna paint themselves in the best light. I personally think they are wrong. EA is definitely missing out on money but it's also not as big as I'm sure Sony wants it to seem.

Bgamer90

Banned

I was thinking more of a "family demographic". The system's features are kind of suited for that area too (Skype, TV, voice control, kinect / kinect games, etc.).

Even if that's the case the damage is already done. What the heck is ea gonna do for sony make tf2 an exclusive?! Sony played there cards right, killed it at the February. Event, killed e3, killed the launch and had the world being proud to say I'm a gamer. That hype isn't gone but it would have been exponentially better for tf to debut on the machine with the most hype. Lost opportunity, thank you ms...by the time something gets announced for ps4 ppl will be bored with the game. MS are going to take over this industry one day, deserved or not, they just seem to make the right moves in the u.s market. All the Indy love for ps4 and the biggest one is a friggin exclusive disc based release for 360. Sony needs to step up if they want market leadership.

I'm guessing that there might not be a Titanfall 2. Respawn might instead do a sprititual successor of some kind (which would basically be Titanfall 2) in order to stave away the stigma of not having the first game on PS.

TyrantII

I don't get the "it's single player" thing. Did God of War not sell shitloads with single player campaigns that were shorter?

Not having SP actually hurts MP games. Like it or not, the majority of FPS are bought for their SP and are never even brought online. One look at sales cross referenced with leader-boards and unique player counts has long confirmed it.

Its why DICE refuses to let go of their crappy campaigns. Conversely a lot of SP focused games tack on MP just to get extra sales. Its for padding, not because that's where the money is.

All right people I meant family demographic when I said younger demographic

I don't think 9 year olds are buying themselves $499 consoles lol

I'm guessing that there might not be a Titanfall 2. Respawn might instead do a sprititual successor of some kind (which would basically be Titanfall 2) in order to stave away the stigma of not having the first game on PS.

LOLZ. Build up new IP from scratch into blockbuster, trash it all to please fanboys.

Ridley327

You can see why I feel pretty confident that LR didn't sell that much digitally haha.

The 10% optimistic rate for 360/PS3 games in general would be 16-17K for LR.

I mentioned in the other thread that it got 10th place on the Playstation Store chart for PS3 in February, behind many old games. Unless it did surprising numbers on the Marketplace, there's just no way they're making up that kind of deficit.

Goodnight.

Why do you think that these things exist? So much data is collected in so many different ways and, yes, youtube views are part of it. I don't even think that's a stretch. If people are watching commercials for games on youtube they are interested in seeing said game. It seems to me to be a pretty accurate gauge to find out interest. But it's more than that. It's google searches. It's twitter mentions. It's preorder numbers. It's views on their own stores. They take all of this data and can usually tell when a game is going to do well and when it isn't. Most of the time a game "is sent out to die" it's because they studied all this info and came to the conclusion "no one gives a fuck about this game, don't waste marketing money on it."

It's not an accurate predictor, social metrics can have a ton of variables producing popularity. Playstation All Stars is a classic example, it had a ton of negativity and spikes every time a new character was unveiled, it also had a really cool couple of commercials that gained viewership for their quality rather than interest in the game. Of course it is very hard to discern this through pure metrics. So while the game had a lot of visibility not much of it was translating into sales

A lot of launch games had this too as a sake of the console war

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I realize those replies are pure Butthurt but Sonys not gonna tell EA they did a good thing by cutting them out. Of course they are gonna paint themselves in the best light. I personally think they are wrong. EA is definitely missing out on money but it's also not as big as I'm sure Sony wants it to seem.

We'll know the answer to this within a year anyway when we find out what platforms Titanfall 2 is for. My guess is you'll see it on the PS4.

Mort I think the stuff you do is great but Youtube views is kind of ridiculous. Sony has done a -lot- of online marketing for Infamous, just the other day the entire front page of ESPN.com was covered in advertising for the new game and it links directly to the new Youtube video that has a shitload of views that doesn't quite correlate with the small (in comparison) amount of comments it has.

Tripon

Might be the one thing Kinect is doing, its providing proof that XBox One is a 'family' console vs. the PS4 being a 'personal' console.

N.Domixis

Banned
All right people I meant family demographic when I said younger demographic

I don't think 9 year olds are buying themselves $499 consoles lol
It will probably change this gen though. It will not be as fucking lopsided as last gen. the ps4 version is at 26% so only a few percents lower. The cheaper price could eventually draw in more kids.

Wow I caught up to the end of the thread, hit F5 immediately no new response. Then I hit F5 for a second time and there was still no new response.

Thread posting is tracking way way below my projections for this month

On the subject of Lighting Returns, I have to say I am interested in the game, but not for $60. Given this springs major releases, and the new gen, i'm perfectly content to wait for it's inevitable price drop.

March is all about Infamous and Deception 4 for me.

statham

Fall 2016. It will be on everything. I don't think MS has a suitcase big enough to cover the costs and the fact that respawn want to create the biggest franchise in the world. There's money and ego involved here. MS can only supply one.

reminds me of when gears 1 became a hit and the debate to keep it exclusive.

TyrantII

Goodnight.

Killzone sold 2.1 million copies +.

Not sure what world people live in that inFamous isn't more appealing to general gamers. It's a freaking super hero open world game, and seem to be taking advantage of what "next gen" is supposed to offer.

I predict it will sell a few copies. Maybe even a bunch.

Top Bottom