• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Investigation Team Go! said:
Different, uh, strokes, for different folks.

I just wanted the option, just like the people who wanted fem/fem romance. Sucks that Bioware wasn't brave enough to put it in.

luxarific said:
I just wanted the option, just like the people who wanted fem/fem romance. Sucks that Bioware wasn't brave enough to put it in.

I was just trying to make a joke. I see no reason why it wouldn't have been included, except that it might have scared off a few homophobic teenage boys. It's funny how that homophobia doesn't extend to lesbians, though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I was just trying to make a joke. I see no reason why it wouldn't have been included, except that it might have scared off a few homophobic teenage boys. It's funny how that homophobia doesn't extend to lesbians, though.

Yeah, I got the joke. I still think it sucks that Bioware wimped out. Oh well, the game is still a blast.

Platinum Games and Sega should have handled the PS3 port of Bayonetta better or made it its lead platform

I know many PS3 only owners who backed out of Bayonetta because of claims of being ''the lesser port''.

I bought both versions of the game because I wanted the Asian Boxart for PS3 and the US for the 360

Vinci

Danish
gutter_trash said:
Platinum Games and Sega should have handled the PS3 port of Bayonetta better or made it its lead platform

I know many PS3 only owners who backed out of Bayonetta because of claims of being ''the lesser port''.

I bought both versions of the game because I wanted the Asian Boxart for PS3 and the US for the 360

Most multi-platform devs are going to use the 360 for lead platform. That's all there is to it. Yes, I'm sure they'd like to have made the PS3 version perfect - but that depends on how much budget they had to work with and how long they had to work on it.

Stumpokapow said:
It's hard for me to tell if publishers avoid big releases in January because January is slow, or if January is slow because publishers avoid big releases, or a bit of both, so I personally am not drawing any conclusions about a game being "#1 January release of all time", I just thought the info was interesting.

Certainly if one believed there was something innately low about January sales regardless of release slate, ME2's sales would be spectacular by means of comparison.
Looking at your list of January games I'd say its publishers generally avoid big January releases. The only game I see that compares to Mass Effect 2 in terms of appeal, hype, marketing, etc. would be RE4. It only sold half as much but then it was a system with a smaller user base with a superior version (well content wise) for the most popular system already announced. I don't think it's people just don't buy games in January since the biggest January release of all time wasn't even #1 for this January or even #2 if you combine CoD:MW2 and Wii Fit+ was right behind it (It wouldn't have been #1 in 2009 either, Wii Fit with 777k was, it might be for 2008 unless you combined all the GH3 sku's, it is for 2007, well I can't find figures for late last gen) .

I'd say the issue for Mass Effect isn't whether it sold well for a January release, quality of past January games aside, it did. The bigger question is whether it just did say a majority of its lifetime sales or only did say 20%. We'll have to wait a few months at least to find out. I'd say all that can be said right now is it's not a bomb. It may end up disappointing given resources, marketing, quality, expectations, etc, or do very well, but January doesn't answer that of course.

Oxx

Pureauthor said:
Wow, Bowser's Inside Story still hanging on.

Deserves all those sales too!

Absolutely. Amid all the hardware furore last month it was Bowser's top-ten appearance that shocked (and pleased) me the most.

Best DS RPG of 2009 not called Dragon Quest V.

Road

jvm said:
Top 20 is up!

top-20-jan-2010.png

Edit: Beaten! Curse you! :lol
I saw this page yesterday where Darksiders had 315,000. I thought it was a typo, but looking at the top 20 and known sales for Bayonetta 360, makes sense Darksiders PS3 sold ~140,000.

Would be nice to have confirmation.

Err... I missed Darksiders PS3 was on the leaked numbers. I guess it was just a typo.

Penguin

Vinci said:
Actually, IIRC, Nintendo is the most successful game software company right now even if you include everyone else in the industry combined. Or at least, they are very close. It also helps their odds of winning such a situation given how many game companies are losing money these days. And this is nothing new: Check out the best-selling video games of all time lists. Nintendo is everywhere on it, virtually dominating the Top 20.

What does the current top 20 of all-time look like?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
When did Americans just one day all of a sudden decide to stop buying anything remotely "Japanese" and criticize games that are?

Real shame about the Bayonetta sales, what I've played of it was a lot of fun.

Zen

Banned
Poor PSP, needed a price drop ages ago and was pretty much left to wither and die do to it subsidizing PS3 loses. Although they really should think about adding new control schemes with the PSP2 to recapture attention from the market.

At least it can barely subsist with worldwide hardware and software sales. I love my PSP.

djtiesto said:
When did Americans just one day all of a sudden decide to stop buying anything remotely "Japanese" and criticize games that are?

It has been transitioning to such since the PS2 era, although I don't know about 'Stop buying anything remotely Japanese'. The America's buy a ton of Nintendo software, and certainly seem to buy Japanese software at a higher percentage than Japan tends to buy American software.

djtiesto said:
Not anything remotely Japanese. Clearly Nintendo kicks butt all over everyone. But the heavy Anime & Manga stuff seems to have waned a bit. Yes, there is a cult audience but there does not seem to be widespread appeal.

I think it may have started with the JRPGs. The did well in earlier generations but they mostly seem to have bombed this generation (think of all the JRPGs on the 360). Final Fantasy will clearly be an exception though.

gutter_trash said:

You dropped the money on another copy for the boxart?

whoa @ ps2, still selling 44k

Ataturk said:
What would Bayonetta need to sell worldwide to be profitable? 500k? Just guessing here.

What was the budget for the game?

[units sold] * [$60] = Revenue

[Revenue] - [budget] = a good place to start for profitability rough estimates

Interesting I'd say, using the leaked numbers as rough guides:

Total sales for January

6 new HD games - ~1.6 million
6 Nintendo evergreens - ~1.5 million

6 HD + CoD:MW2 - ~2.2 million
6 Nintendo + NSMBW - ~2.2 million

Yeah this is healthy.

Why would a guy want to stare at a male Shephard's ass for 30 hours? The only reason to make a male Shephard is to get it on with Miranda.

I've spent about 5 hours debating whether to go after Miranda or Tali. I still can't decide.

Shiggy

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Interesting I'd say, using the leaked numbers as rough guides:

Total sales for January

6 new HD games - ~1.6 million
6 Nintendo evergreens - ~1.5 million

6 HD + CoD:MW2 - ~2.2 million
6 Nintendo + NSMBW - ~2.2 million

Yeah this is healthy.

Isn't it kind of unfair as Nintendo is the only publisher which makes good and high-profile games on Wii? On the other platforms there are third party publishers at least trying to make good games.

anonymousAversa said:
What was the budget for the game?

[units sold] * [$60] = Revenue

[Revenue] - [budget] = a good place to start for profitability rough estimates
$30-40 is a better estimate of what a developer gets. I think I saw earlier someone linked to a source saying $35, I recall reading it averaged $36 for a PS360 game (a couple years ago, sorry don't recall the source other than it was a magazine). Anyhow, it is definitely not $60, unless you're including retailer cut, royalties and such as part of "game budget".

Vinci

Danish
Penguin said:
What does the current top 20 of all-time look like?

Well...

Wikipedia said:
The 20 best-selling console/handheld games, not originally bundled.

1. Wii Play (Wii – 26.71 million)[70]
2. Wii Fit (Wii – 22.56 million)[70]
3. Nintendogs (DS – 22.27 million, all five versions combined)[71]
4. New Super Mario Bros. (DS – 21.39 million)[70]
5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii – 21.22 million)[70]
6. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy – 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan,[46] 9.85 million in US)[19]
7. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS – 18.59 million)[70]
8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES – 18 million)[107]
9. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS – 17.39 million)[72]
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 17.33 million)[115]
11. Mario Kart DS (DS – 17.28 million)[70]
12. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 – 14.89 million shipped)[104]
13. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color – 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US,[19] 6.91 million in Japan)[46]
14. Super Mario Land (Game Boy – 14 million)[107]
15. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS – 13.71 million)[71]
16. Wii Sports Resort (Wii – 13.58 million)[70]
17. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA – 13 million)[79]
18. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA – 11.82 million)[72]
19. Super Mario 64 (N64 – 11 million)[107]
20. Gran Turismo (PS1 – 10.85 million shipped)[104][105]

jmdajr

I agree Bayonetta being "too japanese" is also a huge problem. But is it any more Japanese than say Devil May Cry? I think having a full on female lead might have had something to do with it. Probably way to over-sexified and it made folks uncomfortable. Too bad. The play mechanics are fuck awesome.

Also, now that graphics are more advanced do you think the japanesey-ness hits your harder than before? OR? Do they look like it's stuck last gen. I say perhaps a mix.

Shiggy said:
Isn't it kind of unfair as Nintendo is the only publisher which makes good and high-profile games on Wii? On the other platforms there are third party publishers at least trying to make good games.
Kind of sounds fair to me, just unhealthy though interesting either way.

djtiesto said:
When did games stop bothering to localize so they don't come off as utterly embarassing to local cultures? Claim that it's because of being japanesey all you want, I'll stick with it just being dumb and clumsy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
DeaconKnowledge said:
I've spent about 5 hours debating whether to go after Miranda or Tali. I still can't decide.

Miranda probably has the "hotter" sex scene. Tali has a "cuter" one. Jack's is just sort of dull. They're all pretty tame, though Tali's scene is the most annoying (
we don't get to see under the mask
, really Bioware?)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
jmdajr said:
Probably way to over-sexified and it made folks uncomfortable.

Yup. If they'd had toned it down just a bit, I would have bought. Her character design was just too Palinesque and stupidly oversexed for me to play. And I loved DMC and co.l

Apath

Vinci said:
Most multi-platform devs are going to use the 360 for lead platform. That's all there is to it. Yes, I'm sure they'd like to have made the PS3 version perfect - but that depends on how much budget they had to work with and how long they had to work on it.
Doesn't matter anyway. 99.99% of the time the PS3 version that's the "lesser" port is still perfectly playable and only suffers in side-by-side comparisons. Even when that's not the case people protest to fight the idea of a weaker port, but I can guarantee you every single one of them wouldn't be doing the same if it were the 360 version that suffered.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about the crowd that goes "I own both a PS3 and 360, but I'm still not getting either in protest of the crappy PS3 port!"

Banned
Road said:
I saw this page yesterday where Darksiders had 315,000. I thought it was a typo, but looking at the top 20 and known sales for Bayonetta 360, makes sense Darksiders PS3 sold ~140,000.

Would be nice to have confirmation.

Err... I missed Darksiders PS3 was on the leaked numbers. I guess it was just a typo.

How much was it?

luxarific said:
Miranda probably has the "hotter" sex scene. Tali has a "cuter" one. Jack's is just sort of dull. They're all pretty tame, though Tali's scene is the most annoying (
we don't get to see under the mask
, really Bioware?)

Bah, I don't care about the sex scene, it's all about the pursuit.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
DeaconKnowledge said:
Bah, I don't care about the sex scene, it's all about the pursuit.

Then they're all fun. Miranda's is probably the most stereotypically "adult". Tali's is all about the teasing. And trying to get Jack in bed is fun - should you be as bitchy as she is? Maybe. Maybe not.

Vinci said:
Actually, IIRC, Nintendo is the most successful game software company right now even if you include everyone else in the industry combined. Or at least, they are very close. It also helps their odds of winning such a situation given how many game companies are losing money these days. And this is nothing new: Check out the best-selling video games of all time lists. Nintendo is everywhere on it, virtually dominating the Top 20.

Wasn't there a question if the game industry was profitable overall even including Nintendo?

LosDaddie

Banned
speculawyer said:
Not anything remotely Japanese. Clearly Nintendo kicks butt all over everyone. But the heavy Anime & Manga stuff seems to have waned a bit. Yes, there is a cult audience but there does not seem to be widespread appeal.

I think it may have started with the JRPGs. The did well in earlier generations but they mostly seem to have bombed this generation (think of all the JRPGs on the 360). Final Fantasy will clearly be an exception though.

Agreed. America went through an anime phase that now seems to be over for the mainstream.

kitzkozan

djtiesto said:

I think there's more americans willing to buy japanese game than the contrary.Of course,the interest is nowhere near what it once was and it's a super niche audience nowadays.Nintendo was and is still the exception to the rule as always ( I can also include Capcom,but their art style is appealing to international audiences)

The same is happening all over the world,expect for some asian country where it will take some time.Even France which used to live and breathe japanese games have all these generic bald space marine on their mag cover. :lol

JaxJag

Banned
jmdajr said:
I agree Bayonetta being "too japanese" is also a huge problem. But is it any more Japanese than say Devil May Cry? I think having a full on female lead might have had something to do with it. Probably way to over-sexified and it made folks uncomfortable. Too bad. The play mechanics are fuck awesome.

Also, now that graphics are more advanced do you think the japanesey-ness hits your harder than before? OR? Do they look like it's stuck last gen. I say perhaps a mix.
I think the art style is just plain worse than DMC's TBH. Turned a lot of people off.

Mael

lowlylowlycook said:
Wasn't there a question if the game industry was profitable overall even including Nintendo?
With Nintendo doing its insane profit, they'd have to do Sega during its Saturn days bad to not be healthy overall!

The same is happening all over the world,expect for some asian country where it will take some time.Even France which used to live and breathe japanese games have all these generic bald space marine on their mag cover.

They're not all dead already?

kitzkozan said:
I think there's more americans willing to buy japanese game than the contrary.Of course,the interest is nowhere near what it once was and it's a super niche audience nowadays.Nintendo was and is still the exception to the rule as always ( I can also include Capcom,but their art style is appealing to international audiences)

I think it's cause of all the women with gigantic boobs that are scantily clad along with the lolis that are also scantily clad. I'm serious. Like with manga, I have someone else read that stuff and tell me how much fanservice is in it. If there's a lot of fanservice, I'm not reading it. Similarly, I won't buy games that are nothing but pure fanservice. I would never buy a game like Dead Or Alive these days. I've gone beyond the teenage hormone stage.

lowlylowlycook said:

I think it was concluded that there's a net profit when you include Nintendo and a net loss without. Nintendo is the biggest publisher in the U.S. and Japan at least. I'm not sure about Europe.

Top Bottom