• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Vinci

Danish
NeonZ said:
Isn't that the point? If a crossover ever happens, the idea is to show a situation that doesn't happen usually, not put two separate games in a single disc. That would be a complete waste.

But if Sonic's not fun to play in Mario's levels and Mario's not fun to play in Sonic's levels, where's the benefit of putting them there beyond the novelty factor?

Mael

Vinci said:
But if Sonic's not fun to play in Mario's levels and Mario's not fun to play in Sonic's levels, where's the benefit of putting them there beyond the novelty factor?

With a competent level designer the level can be fun for both.
I mean we DID get Sonic & Knuckles after all

Stumpokapow said:
It's hard for me to tell if publishers avoid big releases in January because January is slow, or if January is slow because publishers avoid big releases, or a bit of both, so I personally am not drawing any conclusions about a game being "#1 January release of all time", I just thought the info was interesting.

Certainly if one believed there was something innately low about January sales regardless of release slate, ME2's sales would be spectacular by means of comparison.

Most people spent a lot of their discretionary income on gifts for Christmas. The amount of money to be spent on games in January is therefore going to be low. It isn't really til March when most have enough money saved to be able to casually buy a game again (February has the whole Valentine's day moneysink). People do still have a bit more money to spend so game sales experience a slight uptick.

Vinci

Danish
Mael said:
With a competent level designer the level can be fun for both.
I mean we DID get Sonic & Knuckles after all

I would say more than 'competent.' Level design in Mario and (good) Sonic games is very particularly for that character.

Jinaar

Downloadable games should be cheaper by a reasonable percentage.

No offense to those that find it "FUNNY" to say that if it doesn't get bought off the shelf that it will not get bought off of XBL/PSN. Steam is proof that deals and reasonable priced games do infact enjoy sales with Direct Downloading. Case in point, MOUNT AND BLADE purchased on STEAM this morning. Even if I play it for 1hr, one sale has been made. If not more today already.

EDIT: I had no idea that SFIV was as a downloadable for so long. I still think after 2-3 months in retail games should appear still at a lower cost then retail as DD. People sitting on the fence waiting for pricedrops at retail or people that can be finally lured in with a quick and decent priced DD game just sitting around at home wanting to play something new.

I don't know, I just want more games sold for these developers and for them to not lose faith in the market for their work. I enjoy the Demon Souls and Bayonetta's of this generation. I want more of it.

Vorg

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
Army of Tutu not doing as well as EA expected, i hope BC2 does good!

Did people actually enjoy the first Army of Two? I think it's one of the blandest games I've ever played.

Mael

Jinaar said:
Downloadable games should be cheaper by a reasonable percentage.

No offense to those that find it "FUNNY" to say that if it doesn't get bought off the shelf that it will not get bought off of XBL/PSN. Steam is proof that deals and reasonable priced games do infact enjoy sales with Direct Downloading. Case in point, MOUNT AND BLADE purchased on STEAM this morning. Even if I play it for 1hr, one sale has been made. If not more today already.

And 2 months ago, I bought the last copy of Sonic & the Black Knight because it was cheap,
it doesn't mean the game is getting spectacular sales.

jrricky

Banned
Now where is my "Darkvoid is the next game on Capcoms bomba list" when I need it? I predicted this like 6 months - to a year ago and I was right.

Also I will be blown away if Heavy Rain hits 100K, no 50k next month.:lol

jrricky said:
Now where is my "Darkvoid is the next game on Capcoms bomba list" when I need it? I predicted this like 6 months - to a year ago and I was right.

Also I will be blown away if Heavy Rain hits 100K, no 50k next month.:lol

I think everyone predicted Dark Void to bomb after Bionic Commando.

Jinaar

Mael said:
And 2 months ago, I bought the last copy of Sonic & the Black Knight because it was cheap,
it doesn't mean the game is getting spectacular sales.

I do not know what to say here anymore, I would like developers have more sales in this landscape. I want these games to get more sales and people to have more ways to get to play them. I'm trying to approach this positively. Regardless of the nature of the way things are now in this economic landscape, if you just want to bash someone who is trying to see things positively for developers to get their games out to more people at good prices to maximize their changes to continue to make new and different games with more unique experiences, then so be it. I want more unique games/stories.

Vinci

Danish
Jinaar said:
I do not know what to say here anymore, I would like developers have more sales in this landscape. I want these games to get more sales and people to have more ways to get to play them. I'm trying to approach this positively. Regardless of the nature of the way things are now in this economic landscape, if you just want to bash someone who is trying to see things positively for developers to get their games out to more people at good prices to maximize their changes to continue to make new and different games with more unique experiences, then so be it. I want more unique games/stories.

I would recommend they look at more unique prices. Gamestop is kicking ass and taking names for a reason.

Owzers

I realllllllly wish PSN and XBL would be run more like Steam. Not only do sales spur interest in the individual cheap games, but it also gets people to continually keep up with what's going on with the service. I'm always checking out Steam for midweek sales and weekend sales.

LM4sure

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
I realllllllly wish PSN and XBL would be run more like Steam. Not only do sales spur interest in the individual cheap games, but it also gets people to continually keep up with what's going on with the service. I'm always checking out Steam for midweek sales and weekend sales.

Well Steam has infinitely more products than PSN or XBL so they can offer these random sales on lesser known games. PSN really does not have a whole lot to do that with.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Top 20 is up!

top-20-jan-2010.png

Edit: Beaten! Curse you! :lol

WillyFive

Mario Kart DS outsold it....

I remember when that game came out. Online gaming on a handheld. It was quite the novelty. And the game itself was grand. Best Mario Kart ever.

Mad_Ban

EXGN said:
Was this posted yet? Extended top 20, courtesy GamaSutra

11. Army of Two PS3
12. Wii Play
13. MAG
14. Darksiders PS3
15. EA Sports Active
16. Mario Kart DS
17. Bayonetta 360
18. NSMB DS
19. Mario and Luigi Bowser Inside Story
20. GOW Collection
Good to see GOW:C still selling and not dropping off immediately. However we have no idea how low #20 is so I can't draw anything from that.

jvm

Gamasutra.
EXGN said:
You already write it, gotta get me some recognition somehow :lol
Yeah, I assisted, but the author of that news item is actually Kris Graft. I threw some ideas his way on what he might say, but I take no credit other than making the chart itself.

Sorry for overexplaining; it's my habit.

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:
Mario Kart DS outsold it....

I remember when that game came out. Online gaming on a handheld. It was quite the novelty. And the game itself was grand. Best Mario Kart ever.

So it was outsold by a game that came out in 2005. Hmm.

markatisu

interesting breakdown on the Top 20

Wii - 7 Titles, 5 1st Party, 2 3rd Party
PS3 - 5 Titles, 2 1st Party, 3 3rd Party
360 - 5 Titles, 0 1st Party, 5 3rd Party
DS - 3 Titles, 3 1st Party, 0 3rd Party

Seems the PS3 has the most balance between releases where as the 360 and DS are polar opposites.

Sadist

Yeah, Mario Kart is maybe one of the biggest surprises this generation. I don't know how many copies the SNES, N64, GBA or GC entries sold, but man the DS en Wii games just blow everything away. Everything.

Doorman

EXGN said:
16. Mario Kart DS

Mother of God.

Isn't the game over 4 years old now? It's remaining in the top 20 throughout almost an entire hardware generation? I wonder what the lifetime numbers are at for it...

Well, at least Just Dance and EA Active show that third party games CAN sell well on Wii...but it's disappointing that such success is reserved for strictly casual affairs. Keep on trucking, Tatsunoko!

lowlylowlycook said:
Hey, almost beating out MKDS is no joke :lol
Well, MKDS is 4 years, 3 months old. Maybe Bayonetta will chart in the NPD top 20 for May 2014. She does, afterall, have crazy long legs.

Edit: A Note on Perspective. Other games released the same month as Mario Kart DS, November 2005.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Kameo: Elements of Power
Guitar Hero
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Rush
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Dragon Quest VIII
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Where are these games now in NPD land? All I can say is that I'm confident Shadow the Hedgehog is number 21 on Jan 2010 NPD.

Vinci

Danish
Doorman said:
Mother of God.

Isn't the game over 4 years old now? It's remaining in the top 20 throughout almost an entire hardware generation? I wonder what the lifetime numbers are at for it...

It was released in the States in November of 2005. Since then, it's sold 18 million +, IIRC.

EDIT: Okay. 17 million +. It's fairly close to passing GTA: San Andreas on the top selling games of all time list, thus entering the Top 10.

It's not a big mystery why these Nintendo games remain best-sellers for years on end - they're good entry-level introductions to gaming, and new gamers are always being born.

canova said:
ouch.

Bayonetta number is even worse

100k is 100k whether it's #17 or #11.

I think this is probably the most competitive January in history, and the spread between #10 and #17 is only 90k. I'd really like to see the YoY software comparisons.

jibblypop

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
It's not a big mystery why these Nintendo games remain best-sellers for years on end - they're good entry-level introductions to gaming, and new gamers are always being born.

I don't think that is correct. It's because they are fun to BOTH the new gamers and long time gamers.
I wish more game developers took this approach instead of trying to make something only for the super hardcore or only for the ultra-casual. If you strike a balance for both then you can get great sales like this.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Bayonetta number is facepalm worthy. What the fuck, gamers? What the fuck? If everything was brown, and it had a shitty huge dude as a main character with a dicksword it would have sold at least 170k.

Penguin

jibblypop said:
I don't think that is correct. It's because they are fun to BOTH the new gamers and long time gamers.
I wish more game developers took this approach instead of trying to make something only for the super hardcore or only for the ultra-casual. If you strike a balance for both then you can get great sales like this.

Yeah I always thought that is what drove Nintendo's success.

It dawned on me while looking at the Top Games for 2009 that Nintendo really seems to be one of the few companies with a global appeal.

~Edit~
That reminds me of the article that was questioning what all those new DS owners were buying, apparently, its Mario.

jibblypop said:

blah blah blah. Who the fuck said they weren't fun for "normal" gamers? The point is, when Johnny starts to play videogames most normal, sane parents don't immediately turn to Halo 3 or COD4. Jesus Christ some of you people are pedantic.

TheCardPlayer said:
Bayonetta number is facepalm worthy. What the fuck, gamers? What the fuck? If everything was brown, and it had a shitty huge dude as a main character with a dicksword it would have sold at least 170k.
You better watch what you say or you'll step in a pile of "Dudebro"

Canova

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:

hey now

Vinci

Danish
TheCardPlayer said:

I don't think this is true, to be fair. It would have been ignored for virtually the same reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Well, MKDS is 4 years, 3 months old. Maybe Bayonetta will chart in the NPD top 20 for May 2014. She does, afterall, have crazy long legs.

Edit: A Note on Perspective. Other games released the same month as Mario Kart DS, November 2005.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Kameo: Elements of Power
Guitar Hero
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Rush
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Dragon Quest VIII
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Where are these games now in NPD land? All I can say is that I'm confident Shadow the Hedgehog is number 21 on Jan 2010 NPD.

The easier way to say it is that it launched the same week the 360 did. In fact I stood behind my buddy who was scalping a 360 at midnight just to get my copy of MKDS! :lol

Owzers

LM4sure said:
Well Steam has infinitely more products than PSN or XBL so they can offer these random sales on lesser known games. PSN really does not have a whole lot to do that with.

And that's Sony's fault though for not working out a better method ( i.e. any method) of getting PSone and PS2 games released for download. I think Microsoft and Sony are too content with doing the least possible they can.

Glad to see an appearance from Darksiders, even if the numbers aren't setting the chart on fire, they're pretty decent for a new IP. Bayonetta a bit lower than expected though poor in comparison to DMC4. Army of Two is pretty weak in comparison to the 1st.

Plenty of bombs this month though, Dark Void (dayum), No More Heroes, Vancover, Blood Bowl, PS2 hardware. PSP software is just tragic.

Oh and GoW Collec keeps on trucking!

jibblypop

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
blah blah blah. Who the fuck said they weren't fun for "normal" gamers? The point is, when Johnny starts to play videogames most normal, sane parents don't immediately turn to Halo 3 or COD4. Jesus Christ some of you people are pedantic.

Calm down, it was just my opinion. No need to throw Christ and a thesaurus at me.

jmdajr

Maybe Bayonetta bombed because gamers are sexist! yeah!!!!!!

On a serious note.. what's the best selling game with a female protagonist besides tomb raider/metroid(although samus is in a cool suit)

Top Bottom