• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Zachack said:
It's obvious that the bet was over the 360 version of MW2. During the end of the interview Geoff's hands are moving in a back and forth motion, thereby indicating that as leader of a biker gang, the bet also includes his hog as collateral. Reggie, clearly aggrieved at the notion that a rival bike gang could control his turf, therefore bets both his ride and access rights to KXNC, the local radio station where Reggie's girl works as a receptionist and can slip the winner the key for late-night rowdy broadcast sessions.

Now, given the high stakes, do you really think that the leader of the Hell's Satans (Geoff) would bet on a PS3 game? Everyone knows that the Yakuza have long since stopped refinancing the loan on that house of motorcycles, and it's really hard to hit the brake lever when you're missing thumbs due to an honor-severing, so the odds of a PS3 game beating NSMBWii are basically nil.

Unfortunately for Reggie, losing the bet means that he'll go blind and hair will grow on his palms.
How long did you have that typed up in Word before today

Kuroyume

Banned
I can't imagine MAG doing that much better in other regions. I understand that it was sold out in a few places in Japan but surely it couldn't have sold that much better between Europe and there. This is FPS land.

FrankT

syllogism said:
Yes, and I said it would sell better overall, not that it sold better first month. It's going to be difficulty for ME2 to perform on one platform as well in February as a Dragon Age did on two in December

Unfortunately we do not have those numbers for December only estimates from Ani that look to be shit per NPD. But I do believe we will see ME2 in the top ten again this month. I’ve read over 900k for them both, but again those numbers were called out. However I’m pretty sure ME2 can pull 350k+ this month. I'm actually a little surprised it wasn't a bit more this month because there were a ton of people at the launch at my local GS. Was thinking easily Fable 2 numbers in 6 days, but we'll see how the second month performs.

Kuroyume said:
I can't imagine MAG doing that much better in other regions. I understand that it was sold out in a few places in Japan but surely it couldn't have sold that much better between Europe and there. This is FPS land.
It was 2nd in the UK last week and 4th this week.

Fredescu

syllogism said:
Dragon Age: shipped 3.2 million in 3 months
Mass Effect 2: shipped 2 million in a week

No, shipped isn't sold, but it's sold to retailers and gives a better indication of worldwide platform combined sales than anything else we get. It's also often all we've got to go on once a game leaves the top 10. Coming straight from the publisher, both figures handily include PC and DD figures, so there is probably less guess work involved than taking NPD and trying to stab at PC retail and PC DD and then the rest of the world etc etc.

Bottom line, based on what we know so far, Mass Effect 2 will probably ship more than Dragon Age in its first three months. You can claim that means there are more copies of ME2 gathering dust on shelves if you like.

Road said:
Estimated LTD:

01. WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4.89 million

07. PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 3.25 million

Reggie sure got the last laugh.

GAF (including me) pretty much cast judgment that he had lost.

Ashodin

I pledge my allegiance, to the PlayStation,
Of the Corporation of Sony,
And to the gameplay for which it stands,
One Console, Under My Future,
Indivisible, With Naughty and Dog For All.

:lol

Some of you people..

wizword

Banned
Fredescu said:
Dragon Age: shipped 3.2 million in 3 months
Mass Effect 2: shipped 2 million in a week

No, shipped isn't sold, but it's sold to retailers and gives a better indication of worldwide platform combined sales than anything else we get. It's also often all we've got to go on once a game leaves the top 10. Coming straight from the publisher, both figures handily include PC and DD figures, so there is probably less guess work involved than taking NPD and trying to stab at PC retail and PC DD and then the rest of the world etc etc.

Bottom line, based on what we know so far, Mass Effect 2 will probably ship more than Dragon Age in its first three months. You can claim that means there are more copies of ME2 gathering dust on shelves if you like.
Shipments for sequels are front loaded in most cases.

forrest

formerly nacire
Nice to see Darksiders made the cut, though I would have like to have seen a bigger number. Is Army of Two decent enough to warrant those numbers? I'm thinking smart marketing like commercials during football games, basketball games and wrestling matches. :D

Bombanetta :(

Chozo

lawblob said:
Considering how much advertising MAG had, it should have sold well.

If stuff like Planetside is any indication, I think people like the idea of massive multiplayer FPS games more than the actual practice of playing them.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kuroyume said:

As you said it did very well here in Japan, lots of European players, but by far the majority of players I play with are American. I'm pretty sure a certain site says it's sold about 200k worldwide, which is plenty. There are always people on and games are easy to find. It's a great game, but it's hard to tear the MW2 crowd away for something that takes a bit more thought and skill to play.

Maxrpg said:

Some of you people..

I have a feeling most of these juniors are repeat customers.

Mass Effect 2 did in-line with what was expected of a sequel to a big budget RPG. I'm not expecting it to chart highly the following month though. In comparison, Fallout 3 did 375,000 units (XBOX 360) in it's first 3 days.

People are surprised that Bayonetta bombed? So I guess it nearly goes both ways then huh?

DennisK4 said:
OK, so Wii owners don't want hardcore games and the PS3/360 owners dont want them either - so who do you think want hardcore games, exactly ?

The future is portable.

stupei

Rez said:
so do we know how much Bayonetta sold?

All we know is that Reggie is crying and Bioware is going to regret exclusivity when Dragon Age slaughters Mass Effect 2 in sales.

jon_irenicus said:
Mass Effect 2 did in-line with what was expected of a sequel to a big budget RPG. I'm not expecting it to chart highly the following month though. In comparison, Fallout 3 did 375,000 units (XBOX 360) in it's first 3 days.

The ME2 numbers are for 6 days. What's your point?

Canova

Banned
in a way, maybe Bayonetta deserves to bomb considering how crappy Sega did the port

congrats to Darksiders BTW!!! what an upset

Erebus

Maxrpg said:

Some of you people..
Cause I want to be the minority?

ShogunX

Hang on a minute are the people in this thread suggesting Mass Effect 2 selling 572.1K in 6 days is poor being serious or is my double meaning post detector broken?

What the hell is going on here :lol ?

and where the hell is MAG? Missing Action Game?

I really wish this nonsense surrounding Reggie's bet would die. The whole bet was pretty vague in the first place and could not be more meaningless. At the end of the day, the 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 may outsold New Super Mario Bros. Wii during a completely arbitrary time frame, but it's a hollow victory at best. It's pretty obvious that NSMBW sales will eventually eclipse the sales of MW2. NSMBW will rank right up there with the likes of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart as games that truly defined this generation. I expect it to hang around in the Top Ten for months to come, and I'll be shocked if it isn't still in the Top Ten on the January 2011 NPD report. I couldn't care less who won the bet between Geoff and Reggie. I'm just glad that Mario is seeing the success it so rightfully deserves. It was easily the best game of 2009 and, by the look of things, it's destined to become the best-selling game released in 2009.

desh

speculawyer said:
Reggie sure got the last laugh.

GAF (including me) pretty much cast judgment that he had lost.

I don't think you understood the bet. The interviewer (Geoff) interrupted Reggie as he was responding to his question about whether or not NSMBW would outsell MW2 on one platform. Reggie never said on the X360, but Geoff interrupted him asking "on the 360?" while Reggie was saying "yes." Geoff took this to mean Reggie was saying NSMBW would outsell X360 MW2 by the end of January. Geoff is obviously an attention grabbing whore.

soyboy

Shogun PaiN said:
Hang on a minute are the people in this thread suggesting Mass Effect 2 selling 572.1K in 6 days is poor being serious or is my double meaning post detector broken?

What the hell is going on here :lol ?

Trolling for great justice or some shit like that.

Cheez-It said:
Thanks for posting this.

It's one thing to interrupt someone while they gather their thoughts (Reggie was reflecting the question back, and then answering, with an interruption in the middle), it's another to assume that your interruption was heard and instantly processed, and then blab about it on twitter. What a whore.
and he has the gall to say that the other sites were the ones misreporting it!

:lol :lol :lol

I think the reason MAG didn't do so well is because a lot of people are waiting for Bad Company 2. I'm enjoying MAG, but a lot of people who I recommend it to tell me just that. I was a huge fan of the first one, and I can say the same thing.

Also, MAG needs more maps :)

All the MAG bashing. With it being multi only is going to hold it back some..

The amount online everynight is usually at least 15k. So it's more than enough to play with.

Banned
speculawyer said:
Boring.

WTF is with that Dance game? it has been kicking but on Amazon. Are dance games going to replace ___ Hero & Rockband games? Naw . . . gamers are too fat & lazy. But it is definitely the new Nintendo buzz.

It was heavily marketed and priced aggressively for 2 months. Not a surprise once you get over the "it's a dance game" thing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This Tretton blog post has been posted already, but I'd like to quote a more amusing portion of it:

We’re nowhere near slowing down in the new year as today’s NPD numbers show a 36% sales increase on PS3 hardware when compared to last January. This is truly remarkable given the tight inventory we’ve been experiencing as a result of high consumer demand since last Fall.

Is it really difficult to find Slims there in USA?

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Poor Bayonetta, go Mass Effect 2 and 360 overall sales (only 6 days for ME2) - also I wonder if that number for Darksiders is good?

operon

TTP said:
This Tretton blog post has been posted already, but I'd like to quote a more amusing portion of it:

now that the ps2 is declining the old "playstation family" can't be used anymore.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GAMES THAT WILL NOT MAKE THE FEBRUARY NPDS (so you guys can get ready for the bomba of easily ruined expectations)

Heavy Rain
Star Ocean TLH International
White Knight Chronicles
Tropico 3
Endless Ocean Blue World
No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle

I'm iffy on Dante's Inferno. Its about the only Dudebro February release.

When the March NPDs hit in April, how mad and shocked will you guys be when FFXIII is top 5 and neither Yakuza 3 or Resonance of Fate are nowhere to be found? I mean, this shouldn't surprise anyone, yet people keep getting surprised. SMT: Strange Journey won't be there either.

nexen

lawblob said:
I cannot think of a less interesting topic than Reggie's bet. Who gives a flying shit?
I was about to post the same thing but backed out because I didn't want to be abrasive.

I honestly couldn't care less if Reggie was proven wrong on speculating future sales numbers. Can't believe so many of you do either. Sheesh.

Top Bottom