• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Canova

Banned
Bayonetta alienated many fans in an-already small action game market. (We know that any DMC or NG game will not sell than 2M)

- Bad art style
- Bad level design. It's all over the place (airplane, missiles, jetskiiing, how many times do they re-use the town, which is the only good part of the level)
- Obnoxious female character
- too many long annoying stupid cutscenes
- Crappy gameplay in some parts (stupid bike & missile riding, I have no fucking idea why Kamiya thought it was a good idea to put these parts in)
- Boring boss battles

In the end what's left are a good combat mechanic (not even a great one) and some good regular enemies. That's all

Averon

The Faceless Master said:
saying "only six days" is also hugely irrelevant. the VAST MAJORITY of games blow their load in the first 2-3 days and we've seen it time and time again in the NPD threads. when a game improves over the first week/month, it's a genuine surprise, and usually it's stuff like Wii Music.

The only HD game I remember that ever did better on its second month was inFamous.

I'm surprised so many thought Bayonetta would sell well. Yeah, it got great ratings . . . but it was a bit too Japanese for the U.S. market. And don't complain about westerners not buying their heavily Japanese games since they buy virtual no western games.

jett

D-Member
The_Reckoning said:
In my experience, they are usually sold out, or 1 on the shelf. I'm just a consumer though, so I only know what I see at various stores.

Good job ME2, still need to beat part 1, and then I'll add a +1 to your total. I Would like to see numbers on MAG.

Nice work Darksiders, great game. I predict Heavy Rain will chart next month(if amazon is anything to go by) to the poster up there ^^^

Capture-1.png

That's impressive for Heavy Rain.

Patryn

Does Heavy Rain have any mindshare in the mainstream? I know that GAF is all about it, but I haven't seen any ads or mentions of it, absent major gaming sites.

I'm not trolling, I'm honestly asking. Because if it follows the standard Sony model of dropping with minimal ad support, I'm not certain it'll chart. As I understand, it's more of a cerebral game, which may work against it in terms of "dudebro" shoppers.

Then again, we are approaching the point in which people get tax refunds, so that could help fuel some sales.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Guys, before you start labeling ME2 as some huge disappointment, you said the same shit about Uncharted 2 after it didn't chart its second month. How many copies has it sold again?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
canova said:
Bayonetta alienated many fans in an-already small action game market. (We know that any DMC or NG game will not sell than 2M)

- Bad art style
- Bad level design. It's all over the place (airplane, missiles, jetskiiing, how many times do they re-use the town, which is the only good part of the level)
- Crappy gameplay in some parts (stupid bike & missile riding, I have no fucking idea why Kamiya thought it was a good idea to put these parts in)
- Boring boss battles

In the end what's left are a good combat mechanic (not even a great one) and some good regular enemies. That's all

- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong

Next.

Y2Kev said:
MAG not being called SOCOM 4 = retarded

lets just say MAG being called MAG = retarded and leave it at that

truly101 said:
Guys, before you start labeling ME2 as some huge disappointment, you said the same shit about Uncharted 2 after it didn't chart its second month. How many copies has it sold again?

barely 1 million sold in the USA and deserves 10 times that?

chespace said:
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong

Next.

convincing argument from you, per usual.

Wiseblade

I think people expect too much from NPD sales sometimes. There are other regions that games sell in. It's kind of weird saying that Mass Effect 2 is a flop when it's likely to sell 1 million+ worldwide.

Averon

jett said:
That's impressive for Heavy Rain.

I also notice that the 120gig PS3 really shot up the charts in the past week. Either there actually were shortages (of the 120gig version) or the rush of new games brought in new interest.

mclem

Toy Soldier said:
It's a shame that Bayonetta - undoubtedly one of the best games in years - didn't get rewarded with remarkable sales, but I suppose it's not surprising.

I'm *sure* that, when I played it the other night, I saw in incredibly fine print the words "downplay NPD sales" on the palm of her hand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
canova said:

- Bad art style
- Boring boss battles

- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong
- wrong

-crazy
-crazy
-crazy
-crazy
-crazy
-crazy

Next.

Barrett2

Y2Kev said:
MAG not being called SOCOM 4 = retarded

Thats what I was wondering about. Are they even making a SOCOM 4? In retrospect, it seems bizarre to take a very popular series, shove it off to crappy 3rd party studios to drive in the ground while you take years to make an exclusive, niche game.

Mrbob

saying "only six days" is also hugely irrelevant. the VAST MAJORITY of games blow their load in the first 2-3 days and we've seen it time and time again in the NPD threads. when a game improves over the first week/month, it's a genuine surprise, and usually it's stuff like Wii Music.

Not true. There are plenty of games which sell a decent chunk in the second month as the first month. Especially games that come out in the tail end of the month like ME2.

Rainier

I agree, but I bet it's still in the top ten next month. This is one of those games (last one I can think of is Borderlands) that generates buzz/word of mouth recommendations. Be interesting to see if it actually manages to outsell Bioshock 2 next month.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thunder Monkey said:
God you're just so cute.
I edited it for NeoGAF(R) credibility

edit: Haha! caught you before the edit.

Solsc

Averon said:
I also notice that the 120gig PS3 really shot up the charts in the past week. Either there actually were shortages (of the 120gig version) or the rush of new games brought in new interest.
I work in Electronics at Target and we didn't get a single shippment of PS3s since Christmas. People called and came in almost everyday and asked for it. There definatly was a shortage of both models. None of the Targets in my area for sure and other retailers in my area I heard did not have them in stock either

Evlar

Banned
Do we have any data on how games sell day-by-day? It would be impossible to say whether a game selling 550k over 6 days would have done 1 million in a full month, or 1.2 million, or 750k, unless you have some model constructed from relevant historic data to extrapolate from. Without that the "Game X only had Y days of sales!" line of reasoning is on par with Chartzzz sales forecasts. ME2 is by no means the only game that's been defended in an NPD thread using this argument.

Adam Blade said:
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with America? You had built up so much good will with us Sony faithful, yet now you let us down by buying more Xboxes? I'm going to go smash something right now, because I might write something down now that I might regret doing later. PEACE.
O...k....

:lol

Grooski

Banned
Don't blame it on the sunshine...don't blame it on the moonlight...don't blame it on the good times....blame it on the inventory. *crotch grab* eeee-heee

Jack-san, love ur work. :D

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/thank-you-for-a-great-2009/

We’re nowhere near slowing down in the new year as today’s NPD numbers show a 36% sales increase on PS3 hardware when compared to last January. This is truly remarkable given the tight inventory we’ve been experiencing as a result of high consumer demand since last Fall.

yoopoo

Banned
This month's npd is super boring. Lets talk about bombs...which games bombed last month. What about Army of Two on PS3? Bomb bomb?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lawblob said:
Thats what I was wondering about. Are they even making a SOCOM 4? In retrospect, it seems bizarre to take a very popular series, shove it off to crappy 3rd party studios to drive in the ground while you take years to make an exclusive, niche game.
Sony funded a lot of stupid shit from the 2006-7 era, like Heavy Rain. I mean, so excited to play that, but what genius signed off on that :lol

Army of Two 2 is a huge flop I think. Huge decline over the first, wow.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DevelopmentArrested said:
barely 1 million sold in the USA and deserves 10 times that?

Over a million in 3 months when the 1st game took the better part of 6-7 months to achive that, with bundles? Its also sold over 3 million world wide. Imagine how well Uncharted 2 will do when it hits GH pricing? ME2 will hit 1 million sold easily before the beginning of the 2nd quarter, and probably boosting EA's bottom line in the process.

squicken

As others have mentioned, we get the same shit every month about how a game is good and will have legs on word of mouth. It rarely happens.

The just killed themselves by releasing ME2 in January. It always had more potential than DAO. It should have been prioritized. Or delayed into March. People don't spend in January.

The 360 version and the US sales will account for most of the game's sales. If you figure $35 wholesale for the game, it hasn't cleared $20 million on the 360. With marketing, it probably cost more than $50 million. They may make their money back, but breaking even on a $50 million dollar investment is bad business.

canova said:

- Bad art style
- Boring boss battles

Some of the things you listed are a main draw to some people. While I completely disagree with nearly every negative, I thought the obnoxious female character was fantastic and one of my favorite new characters of the gen. The cutscenes also helped make the game for me.

stupei

Mass Effect 2 is way more mainstream friendly than the first game. There's no way the second month is going to beat the first obviously, but I do think word of mouth on this game is going to be more important than people are assuming.

Going anecdotal: my cousin who is about as typical and mainstream a teenage gamer as you can get hated Dragon Age and the first Mass Effect but ended up buying ME2 after a rental.

Hahah Army of Two suck it. Hope this means end of that franchise. Pretty dismal opening and slower than the original release.

Bayonetta is not surprising as many noted. It's not my type of game (not huge on NG/DMC games) but it also to me was a huge turn off just visually that I know it was going to instantly turn off many others who would not even bother finding out what kind of game it was or give it a chance.

LowParry

cosmicblizzard said:
Some of the things you listed are a main draw to some people. While I completely disagree with nearly every negative, I thought the obnoxious female character was fantastic and one of my favorite new characters of the gen. The cutscenes also helped make the game for me.

Which just proves, you're one of the few who bought the game with NPD being the proof.

jvm

Gamasutra.
From EEDAR, a comment about Wii games (my emphasis)...
EEDAR said:
Core Games on Wii Continue To Struggle
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle has scored top reviews averaging a 90 (out of 100) since its release. However, sales came less than 30,000 units for its first week (January 26, 2010 release). Given that the game is more targeted to the traditional core gamers (who tend to be more attached to the Xbox 360 and PS3) this is yet another sign that the Wii is a difficult device for third party publishers to succeed on with M Rated titles. Other titles that have failed to perform despite strong review scores on the Wii include Dead Space: Extraction (ERTS) and MadWorld (Sega). Of course, all three titles did have low marketing budgets, which is likely the wrong strategy to use when attempting to target the Wii consumer, even if you are targeting the “core” market.

I thought this was going to be boring, but man, never underestimate the PS3 losing to the 360. It just eats at some of you people.

500k in 6 days a disappointment. :lol Didn't it out sell UC2?

My first NPD thread post.
It looks like the shortages of the Wii really had a impact on sales this month, though I'm surprised that it still managed to sell more than the DS.
The PS2 is on its last legs, and Sony really needs to do something to revitalize PSP sales.

Mario is still the King, and Mario Kart Just won't go away. Good job Mass Effect 2 for selling over 500K already. I look forward to the top 20 later.

Pimpbaa

I hope every gamer who didn't buy Bayonetta gets gangrene on their thumbs so they can never play games again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
maharg said:
Wasn't the Dreamcast still getting listed down to it selling in the hundreds? Or was that japanese charts.

Japanese charts still track stuff in the single digits. The Xbox OG actually tracked 0 a few times in the year before they discontinued it.

Top Bottom