• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Halvie

Banned
Takao said:
I always viewed BD as the Laser Disc of today. A secondary form of watching media.

Really have no clue where people get this idea. It may never become as widespread as DVD, but it clearly is more of a success than laserdisc ever was. Isn't BR revenue up about 130-150% this year?

Takao

Banned
Flachmatuch said:
Sony should have known better though, especially after all the great stuff they did with the PS2 (Eyetoy etc).

If I were them I don't know if I'd do more with things like Eyetoy, Buzz, and Singstar, at that time, as all three of them are only popular in Europe. And they have sales numbers to prove that. 10 million EyeToys are still a lot. But not a lot when you consider how many balance boards there are out there with a smaller userbase then the PS2.

Aaron Strife said:
Regardless of the extent of their domination, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will more or less own the sales charts, maybe with some MW2 and AC2 thrown in the mix. New SMB and Wii Fit Plus are guaranteed to chart, WSR will probably stick around for a while, I'm not sure about Spirit Tracks' longevity but it'll probably be up there somewhere. Mario & Sonic is a big seller, Wii Fit may drop off if Wii Fit Plus replaces it, Mario Kart Wii will stay evergreen.

MW1 outsold Galaxy. Zelda ST will probably chart for a couple months. M&S should crack the top 10.

EDIT: Mybad, ST, not PH.

Sipowicz

Banned
markatisu said:
Umm Rock Band 1 sold 1m+ on the Wii, and GH 3 and 4 sold 2+ so the audience is there. We do not know how well RB2 sold on Wii

iirc they released rock band 2 the day before christmas on wii, which is pretty stupid if you plan to sell loads of them. especially if the other versions cames out months before

it's trademark incompetence on EA's part as far as the wii's concerned. but i also think rock band 2 would have been a lot less popular because they released it on such a stupid date

if they've ruined the brand on the console through their own incompetence i wouldn't be surprised to see the new one sell bad and i'd also say it deserves to

markatisu said:
Of course numbers wise it will be a real toss up since the damn thing is pushing almost $300 for the full kit. I anticipate a lot of the single game sku selling in this economy :lol

that's kind of ridiculous. do all of them cost that much?

EazyB

Banned
I skimmed the last few pages and couldn't find the top 10 games sold for each system, I apologize if I missed it but could I get a link? It's become common practice to release this info each month, has it not?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Psychotext said:
You can read about the royalty payments here: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39619195,00.htm

Beyond that you'll need some maths, a knowledge of the blu-ray disc association ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association ) and some figures on how many discs / players per year are sold.

I ran the numbers in a thread around here once upon a time, but I have no idea where they might be. The totals came out as potentially hundreds of millions over the very long haul... but obviously that income gets split, and when compared to losses of billions it ends up looking like chump change.

Wow if true. But I don't know how that can be......didn't Toshiba pretty much cruise on dvd revenues until now? They had a shared royalty structure as well.

VanMardigan said:
Wow if true. But I don't know how that can be......didn't Toshiba pretty much cruise on dvd revenues until now?
I really don't know where you got that impression from. It doesn't seem to be given any significance in their financial results.

gerg said:
As I'm on holiday, I haven't had the most time to read this thread through, but I'd like to suggest that Nintendo is not removing a strategy from the table by delaying a price-drop.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I've said "taking a strategy off the table" it's only in reference to Nintendo's outwards claim that they will not drop the price, and to people arguing from that basis. I don't actually think it's necessarily true that they "need" a price drop right now, but I basically don't believe that they aren't continuing to keep the option open; I think it would be a mistake (either from an external viewpoint or an internal decision-making stance) to consider a price drop to represent a "failure" of Nintendo's strategy, rather than simply one strategic element.

Opiate said:
Whether this ultimately is a lucrative avenue for either of these companies is still unclear

I think that there's a great deal of evidence on the ground that it can't possibly actually be a lucrative avenue for anyone, though one of the biggest factors is that it is such an appealing position to have a nigh-monopoly in -- it'd be a Windows-esque victory to become the de facto settop box, but the level of inevitable competition both from other full-scale competitors and from people who nip at the heels of one or two of the overall box functions pretty much guarantees it's not going to happen before some new tech solution renders the battle moot.

Halvie said:
Really have no clue where people get this idea. It may never become as widespread as DVD, but it clearly is more of a success than laserdisc ever was. Isn't BR revenue up about 130-150% this year?

As a Laserdisc owner, I can say from my personal opinion that I believe as well that Blu-ray is just the big brother of Laserdisc. While slightly better quality it's not big enough IMO to rebuy all my movies but that doesn't mean I won't pick and choose a select few to buy.

See, with Laserdisc though most times you could only get the extras like directors commentary on Laserdisc where the DVD version didn't have it. Rain Man is a perfect example of this along with other movies that came out at the time so I kept buying Laserdisc over DVD. Blu-rays have the same extras as DVD... but what is crazy is that the extras on Blu-ray run in SD mode! Not only that, just until a couple of years ago, Laserdisc was the only place to get the best quality version of the original Star Wars Trilogy.

It's a nice bump in quality but not the HUGE jump that personally makes me want to rebuy my entire collection. I do for HD quality movies like Wall-E but not for older classics like Full Metal Jacket. Those movies IMO look just as good upscaled on DVD. Blu-ray only offers a slight bump from DVD but doesn't offer anything more outside of that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I've said "taking a strategy off the table" it's only in reference to Nintendo's outwards claim that they will not drop the price, and to people arguing from that basis. I don't actually think it's necessarily true that they "need" a price drop right now, but I basically don't believe that they aren't continuing to keep the option open; I think it would be a mistake (either from an external viewpoint or an internal decision-making stance) to consider a price drop to represent a "failure" of Nintendo's strategy, rather than simply one strategic element.

Can't speak for anyone else either (although I think gerg shares my opinion), but I know it was never about thinking that Nintendo won't ever drop the price of the Wii as far as I'm concerned. All I think is that there's no way it will happen in the next 6 months. Nintendo will at least wait and see if WSR, WFP, NSMB Wii and the software for the Vitality Sensor can drive sales, and if they can't, Nintendo will then look how much sales drop. I think they want to wait until they don't have any more ideas for Wii killer apps and start consider releasing their next system. In that case, I think they won't consider a price cut to be an admission of failure. But if the pricecut originates from an inability to drive the momentum with the software Nintendo thinks should achieve that, Iwata won't be too pleased. From Iwata's recent investors' meeting, it sounds like he has other ideas for the Wii. He said that the plan is to release things like the Vitality Sensor every year or every 2 years, so yeah, the pricecut will have to wait, unless the Wii performs very poorly by late 2010.

To me, their stance is "if all else fails, cut the price" or "once we (think we) know there isn't any major software in the pipes any more, cutting the price is what we'll gladly do". Cutting the price is inevitable, but the reasons for doing it can vary greatly.

Lone_Prodigy said:
MW1 outsold Galaxy. Zelda PH will probably chart for a couple months. M&S should crack the top 10.
Yeah that's why I expect MW2 to chart. As would any other rational being, I hope.

That being said, I am 100% positive that New SMB Wii will be bigger than Galaxy.

Also, PH? You mean Spirit Tracks.

Kilrogg said:
All I think is that there's no way it will happen in the next 6 months. Nintendo will at least wait and see if WSR, WFP, NSMB Wii and the software for the Vitality Sensor can drive sales, and if they can't, Nintendo will then look how much sales drop. I think they want to wait until they don't have any more ideas for Wii killer apps and start consider releasing their next system.

I think this is a conceivable strategy that Nintendo could be attempting to pursue, and also a strategy that is more likely than not to result in <200k monthly performance for the Wii in the United States in 2010.

laserbeam

Banned
I think Iwata stealthily gave their strategy as far as pricecuts go. He suggested starting September Wii sales should start going up again based on WSR etc. If they dont see the kind of growth they are expecting you might see the pricecut then.

Nintendo clearly has growth goals in mind before they take the next step

markatisu

Sipowicz said:
iirc they released rock band 2 the day before christmas on wii, which is pretty stupid if you plan to sell loads of them. especially if the other versions cames out months before

it's trademark incompetence on EA's part as far as the wii's concerned. but i also think rock band 2 would have been a lot less popular because they released it on such a stupid date

if they've ruined the brand on the console through their own incompetence i wouldn't be surprised to see the new one sell bad and i'd also say it deserves to

Oh I agree, and to add salt to an open wound the Music Store for DLC was not even ready for another 2 months after that. Guitar Hero GHWT not only shipped with Mii compatibility but it also had DLC purchases and complete SD card access available from the start

Rock Band 1 on Wii was a sloppy port of the PS2, Rock Band 2 was much better but came months behind the HD versions and took extra time to have features implemented that should have shipped with the game

that's kind of ridiculous. do all of them cost that much?

No there are 3 SKU's a $249 (almost $300 after tax) Deluxe Bundle, a $150-175 basic bundle and a $49.99 regular game version.

If I were looking for the bundle I would seriously wait it out, the price crash will happen the minute retailers want to reclaim the space (as the $75-99 GHWT and Rock Band 2 clearances have shown)

Opiate said:
This has been stated before, but it's reasonable to conclude that Sony and Microsoft are after different things than Nintendo is.

Sony and Microsoft are using video games as a trojan to get in to your living room and control other content, e.g. movies, television, music and so forth. In essence, they're imaging a Windows-esque monopoly where a single company controls the portal through which consumers purchase a variety of content.

That is a marketshare driven goal. Whether this ultimately is a lucrative avenue for either of these companies is still unclear, but it's reasonable to conclude that this is what they're after.

If Sony and MS are looking for marketshare then there is just no understanding their initial pricing. Especially since all that fancy hardware isn't needed for anything but games.

If, say, a set top box allowing for streamed movies is worth so many billions of dollars then it isn't quite obvious that combining that service with a separate gaming capability that costs a lot more and only a fraction of the market are interested in, would makes any sense.

I think Occam's Razor just points to the fact that Nintendo is just a much better run business.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:
I think this is a conceivable strategy that Nintendo could be attempting to pursue, and also a strategy that is more likely than not to result in <200k monthly performance for the Wii in the United States in 2010.

Well yeah, they'd be stupid not to cut the price eventually, so we basically agree with each other.

Aaron Strife said:
Yeah that's why I expect MW2 to chart. As would any other rational being, I hope.

That being said, I am 100% positive that New SMB Wii will be bigger than Galaxy.

Yeah I meant ST. I put PH because I was going to compare PH to ST (PH charted at #3 its first month, #5 its second, then dropped).

I don't see a lot of talk about NSMB Wii yet, but it is coming out in November. Nintendo will probably push the multiplayer a lot, which should be enough for it to outsell Galaxy.

lowlylowlycook said:
If Sony and MS are looking for marketshare then there is just no understanding their initial pricing. Especially since all that fancy hardware isn't needed for anything but games.

If, say, a set top box allowing for streamed movies is worth so many billions of dollars then it isn't quite obvious that combining that service with a separate gaming capability that costs a lot more and only a fraction of the market are interested in, would makes any sense.

I think Occam's Razor just points to the fact that Nintendo is just a much better run business.

MS and Sony assumed coming into the generation that it was a two-man race. Nintendo was largely ignored after the GCN, so they thought that given the choice of a $399 360 or a $599 PS3 or a Nintendo anything, consumers would choose one of their boxes by default. In fact, I think everyone, MS, Sony, analysts, and developers all, presumed that the Wii and PS3 sales would be exactly switched, with console sales being primarily driven by high-end SKUs and HD playback (see: 360 Elite, HD-DVD drive).

They were wrong, catastrophically so, though they probably should've been tipped off by how the second year of the PSP/DS matchup evolved.

I'm going to go out on a limb (well, not really) and predict that MW2 is going to be to COD4, what Halo 2 was to Halo. It will sell at least 25% better than MW in the same time frame this holiday in the US.

Sipowicz

Banned
markatisu said:
Oh I agree, and to add salt to an open wound the Music Store for DLC was not even ready for another 2 months after that. Guitar Hero GHWT not only shipped with Mii compatibility but it also had DLC purchases and complete SD card access available from the start

Rock Band 1 on Wii was a sloppy port of the PS2, Rock Band 2 was much better but came months behind the HD versions and took extra time to have features implemented that should have shipped with the game

yep. EA failed big on the wii with rock band, they deserve to get owned by activision

seriously. releasing the game a week before christmas on the console which sells the most rhythm games is just ridiculous

and they outsourced it to some no-name developer too. classic

markatisu said:
No there are 3 SKU's a $249 (almost $300 after tax) Deluxe Bundle, a $150-175 basic bundle and a $49.99 regular game version.

oh man

i wanted to try one of the guitar heroes out but forget it.

ksamedi

charlequin said:

Even after the price raise of the DS?

I think one thing the DS has shown is that as long as you keep on delivering hits, there is no need for a price drop at all. So I really don't believe they will drop the price unless those titles fail to generate momentum.

OldJadedGamer said:
As a Laserdisc owner, I can say from my personal opinion that I believe as well that Blu-ray is just the big brother of Laserdisc.
It doesn't matter what you personally feel, his point was that BD has faster uptake than LD ever did, which it does. I actually mostly agree with you about the jump in quality/content versus the price difference, but it's clear that not every consumer shares this outlook. Blu-ray is very clearly trending between DVD and LD in terms of sales success.

Edit: Looking back, you did call it "the big brother", so perhaps that was meant to indicate its greater success, and the rest was all about subjective "feel". If so, please ignore my response.

OldJadedGamer said:
I do for HD quality movies like Wall-E but not for older classics like Full Metal Jacket. Those movies IMO look just as good upscaled on DVD.
Your opinion is wrong, or at least stated badly. Barring tremendously hideous transfers to BD, it is literally impossible for upscaled DVD to "look just as good". What you mean to say is, "I don't care that it looks worse" or "I can't tell that it looks worse." Whether it does, in fact, look worse is a matter of brute fact, not opinion.

This is a particularly apposite example because I've owned both the DVD and BD of Full Metal Jacket and looked at them back to back. Of course, the BD looks better (though it's certainly your right to value that difference however you care to, all the way down to zero value).

ksamedi said:

I think one thing the DS has shown is that as long as you keep on delivering hits, there is no need for a price drop at all. So I really don't believe they will drop the price unless those titles fail to generate momentum.

You say that as if 'delivering hits' was such an easy thing to do.

donny2112

laserbeam said:
I think Iwata stealthily gave their strategy as far as pricecuts go. He suggested starting September Wii sales should start going up again based on WSR etc. If they dont see the kind of growth they are expecting you might see the pricecut then.

Six-year anniversary of the Fall 2003 GameCube price cut. Six years between console price cuts. It won't happen, though, and I'm sort of relieved. We've never gotten to see what Wii can do in Christmas @ $250 without supply constraints in the U.S. This will give a baseline. Black Wii in February. Price cut after the fiscal year in April.

We have seen what Wii can do at its current price at Christmas everywhere else, though, so EU and Japan should get a price cut this Fall.

ksamedi said:
I think one thing the DS has shown is that as long as you keep on delivering hits, there is no need for a price drop at all.

If you're already below $150. $100 is sort of impulse buy level. $130? Kind of stretching it, but still pretty much impulse buy level. In that case, yes, a drop from $130 to $100 doesn't add a lot except make it easier for people to convince themselves to double-dip/gift systems. $250 to $200/$150? Huge difference. Greatly expanded market that only the 360 is even touching, right now.

ksamedi said:

Do you mean the DSi launch? I don't think that qualifies as the same thing, especially since the DS Lite is still available for sale in all territories.

I think one thing the DS has shown is that as long as you keep on delivering hits, there is no need for a price drop at all.

Well, first, my assertion has continually been that "keep on delivering hits" is not a reliable choice and therefore should not be relied on.

Second, the base DS is $120 in the US. I've argued before that there's essentially a "bargain basement" price for electronics like game devices in the US, below which you're not really targeting any new consumers. I'd say that price is arguably somewhere between $100 and $150 at the moment; beneath that, and you don't see much benefit. The Wii, however, is still floating up at $250, a price from which there's at least two worthwhile drops to be had.

Sipowicz said:
yep. EA failed big on the wii with rock band, they deserve to get owned by activision

seriously. releasing the game a week before christmas on the console which sells the most rhythm games is just ridiculous

and they outsourced it to some no-name developer too. classic

Have you played Rock Band 2 on the Wii? Yes it came out months later, but when you can't patch a game you have to do that. Yes the DLC store came out later, but as of now only a handful of back catalog songs remain to be added to the store.

The only differences between the Wii and PS3/360 versions are the lack of audience singing (lol) and the inability to export track pack songs. Oh and the 2GB capacity for DLC is also not too great, but that's good for about 100 songs.

Vicarious Visions did a good job with GH: WT (Mii Freestyle, SD card support) but the game itself is still vastly inferior to RB2.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jocchan said:
Actually, I didn't. If you look closely there's something else written (in green) under Gran Turismo. I've been pretty careful about these details ;)

You're correct. I'll fix it in a few days, when I get back home.

You need to "erase" GT5 and put PS3 Slim, it's likely coming sooner and definitely being trumpeted as the next savior of the Triple.

As an aside, I like how the copy of the image in my own Photobucket is the one being leeched off of by everyone :lol And not just on GAF! Photobucket tells me someone is using it extensively on Gamespot's forums as well. =P

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Danthrax said:
You need to "erase" GT5 and put PS3 Slim, it's likely coming sooner and definitely being trumpeted as the next savior of the Triple.
Yeah, I definitely will :)

Danthrax said:
As an aside, I like how the copy of the image in my own Photobucket is the one being leeched off of by everyone :lol And not just on GAF! Photobucket tells me someone is using it extensively on Gamespot's forums as well. =P
As another aside, I didnt make the pic originally, I just started updating it by adding Obama :D

Accident said:
I have a feeling that the Wii can be in last place in september.

Without a doubt it will be. It'll be the only platform without a price-drop or a new SKU to push sales. It would be rather shocking and pretty much be the end of all hope of ever turning the corner for both Microsoft and Sony.

Banned
Accident said:
I have a feeling that the Wii can be in last place in september.

What? How much do you people think the PS3 will increase? It would have to increase by over 100% to pass the Wii.

Accident

The Xbox will get the Elite price cut and a Halo game, i'm sure that is enough to increase the weekly sales at least 15k.
The PS3 needs to increase its weekly sales more than 100%, i doubt that is possible only with a pricecut, but the new slim will sure help Sony.

Maybe Nintendo will cut the price, introduce a new Wii bundle, or sales will magically bounce back, but if they continue at the july levels they can get behind Sony and Microsoft.

weekly-hw-rates-mid-2009.png

Vinci

Danish
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, Wii hasn't exactly been holding steady, either. It's possible.

I think it's possible in September for the Wii to sell the least. Wouldn't shock me at all. Another Halo for the 360, the Slim PS3 for 299. It's feasible. Unlikely but...

markatisu

Vinci said:
I think it's possible in September for the Wii to sell the least. Wouldn't shock me at all. Another Halo for the 360, the Slim PS3 for 299. It's feasible. Unlikely but...

Anything is possible, what it will do is finally put to rest whether the only thing holding back the PS3 is its price.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:

Now, if we're talking about September in a vacuum, then yeah, there's a chance that the Wii will be last. Unless Wii Sports Resort takes off by then and drives Wii sales, or Halo ODST and the Slim fail to drive 360 and PS3 sales enough.

Top Bottom