• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

Ivan 3414

I never would have expected over 400k units for Crash.

Crazy how it rallied people.
Probably uncharted 4

I don't have access to numbers and I can guarantee that Uncharted 4 was far from the main reason Crash has done this well

Regardless, quite impressive numbers

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Amazing that XB1 hasn't had a major release since Halo Wars 2, yet come holiday season we'll see people talking as if the rest of the year didn't matter.
Man United beat Man City yesterday, but it doesn't matter because it's preseason. Everything prior to October is also preseason to Microsoft.

Endo Punk

Good for Crash, playing it in UC4 made me quite nostalgic despite Crash never being a franchise I gravitated towards. Personally the new fancy graphics lacks the charm of the original and the change in jumping physics put me off. I would rather play PS1 Crash if Sony would only allow PS1 BC.

sirronoh

What a year 2017 is turning out to be for gaming! I really, really hope the original Spyro trilogy is next for Activision. As much as I like Crash, Spyro will always be my favorite PlayStation series.

Worldwide Crash success after only 2 days on the market is very well deserved and reminds me of Nioh and Nier from earlier in the year. All three of these games could be considered mid-tier compared to the popular annual franchises and new IP that Ubisoft pumps out every year. In a time in the industry where we're trying to figure out whether games like this still have a place and can be successful, it's really nice to see them all not just doing well, but exceeding expectations. (Nier) (Nioh)

What's fascinating is that all three of these games are very successful without being on multiple consoles. There's obviously a level of risk associated with every game in this industry but here, if these games can be hugely successful without ever gracing Xbox One or Switch, what kind of message does that send to publishers when they plan out future mid-tier games? (I'm just focusing on mid-tier here, not indie or AAA which tend to have a slightly different strategy.)

Crash may come out on Xbox One at some point but it's abundantly clear that the audience is on PS4 and they are more than enough to make the game successful. If Activision remasters the Spyro trilogy, why prioritize Xbox or even Switch after this response to Crash? For Koei Tecmo, why prioritize either of those two systems if they make another game like Nioh? Likewise for Square Enix?

Because of how successful these games have proven to be on just PS4, even if exclusivity deals were in place to get this specific content there in the first place, I wonder if at least some publishers will start to consider PlayStation first without being asked for exclusivity, again, simply because we now know the audience for these kinds of games is on PlayStation and they are willing to spend the money to play them.

Between this scenario and the multiplatform splits being as high as 75-25 or 85-15 in favor of PS4 (vs Xbox), I think it speaks to years and years of Sony cultivating the fanbase to enjoy a wide variety of games that third-party publishers can then tap into and be successful. This stuff doesn't happen overnight so they deserve a lot of credit for being where they are today.

Boke1879

With those numbers for Crash I expect a decent July for it as well. Nothing really came out this month right?

the WOM and social media attention Crash got after it's release I have no doubt convinced people to pick it up. Especially people talking about the difficulty.

With those numbers for Crash I expect a decent July for it as well. Nothing really came out this month right?

the WOM and social media attention Crash got after it's release I have no doubt convinced people to pick it up. Especially people talking about the difficulty.
Just Final Fantasy and Splatoon.

2016 also was ahead at the same point. Jan-Jun 2016: 1,580,163

PS4 sold 3,121,000 in November + December 2015. Add in October and Q4 sold 3,396,000.

Q4 2016 sold 2,915,000 despite the PS4 Pro launch and the price drop to $299.

Jan-Jun 2014: 1,576,000
Jul-Dec 2014: 3,108,000

H1 % of total year sales: 34%

Jan-Jun 2015: 1,553,000
Jul-Dec 2015: 4,175,000

H1 % of total year sales: 27%

Jan-Jun 2016: 1,580,163
Jul-Dec 2016: 3,521,045

H1 % of total year sales: 31%

I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 see's a 35% split for H1. H2 2016 was disappointing and H1 2017 seems to be making up for that with quality software and excellent price deals. Q4 will most likely be down again this year so I can't see how this year is the peak year.

Where was PS2 at this point in its lifecycle?
Same question for PS3...

Thanks for the insight!

specdot

What a year 2017 is turning out to be for gaming! I really, really hope the original Spyro trilogy is next for Activision. As much as I like Crash, Spyro will always be my favorite PlayStation series.

Worldwide Crash success after only 2 days on the market is very well deserved and reminds me of Nioh and Nier from earlier in the year. All three of these games could be considered mid-tier compared to the popular annual franchises and new IP that Ubisoft pumps out every year. In a time in the industry where we're trying to figure out whether games like this still have a place and can be successful, it's really nice to see them all not just doing well, but exceeding expectations. (Nier) (Nioh)

What's fascinating is that all three of these games are very successful without being on multiple consoles. There's obviously a level of risk associated with every game in this industry but here, if these games can be hugely successful without ever gracing Xbox One or Switch, what kind of message does that send to publishers when they plan out future mid-tier games? (I'm just focusing on mid-tier here, not indie or AAA which tend to have a slightly different strategy.)

Crash may come out on Xbox One at some point but it's abundantly clear that the audience is on PS4 and they are more than enough to make the game successful. If Activision remasters the Spyro trilogy, why prioritize Xbox or even Switch after this response to Crash? For Koei Tecmo, why prioritize either of those two systems if they make another game like Nioh? Likewise for Square Enix?

Because of how successful these games have proven to be on just PS4, even if exclusivity deals were in place to get this specific content there in the first place, I wonder if at least some publishers will start to consider PlayStation first without being asked for exclusivity, again, simply because we now know the audience for these kinds of games is on PlayStation and they are willing to spend the money to play them.

Between this scenario and the multiplatform splits being as high as 75-25 or 85-15 in favor of PS4 (vs Xbox), I think it speaks to years and years of Sony cultivating the fanbase to enjoy a wide variety of games that third-party publishers can then tap into and be successful. This stuff doesn't happen overnight so they deserve a lot of credit for being where they are today.
Thats how it was during the PS2 era. I still can't see the PS4 doing PS2 lifetime numbers, but a 100 million seller is very possible now in the PS4.

?

Part of the result, besides a string of great exclusives, could be attributed to a very well timed price drop with a 1Tb gold slim @ $249.
A $199 500 gb console in Nov/ Dec would have huge sales imo.

Pretty sure we'll see that price on 2017, if only around BF.

How about $199 for the slim and $299 for the Pro on BF? That would take all momentum out of MS's sails when it comes to the launch of the XB1X. Based upon those leaked month-by-month numbers, XB1 is dying in the US and a very expensive XB1X is not going to help that slide.

The God

No publishers are gonna be giving away "default" exclusives, not beyond what we've been seeing with Japanese games anyway (Persona, Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts etc)

NSESN

Here in Norway several webshops have cut prices on the Switch already, stock is full everywhere. Nintendo is not all that hot here inn Norway

I doubt Norway is relevant in this case. The total number shipped here must be less than the lowest shipment Japan got.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yea this should give publishers, devs, Sony hope for these types of games. I know Ratchet n Clank already did but this helps even more.

Where was PS2 at this point in its lifecycle?
Same question for PS3...

Thanks for the insight!
After 44 months in the US:

PS2: 23.3m
PS3: 12.7m
PS4: 19.3m

Next holiday (Nov/Dec) for each, after the numbers above:
PS2: 1.7m (6th highest)
PS3: 1.8m (2nd highest)
PS4: ???

FIXED PS3: Because I am doofus.

Mikey Jr.

PS3: 17.2m

PS2 pretty much had zero competition in the US, so beating that would be pretty damn hard.

But PS4 is close to PS2 world wide sales though, right?

With those numbers for Crash I expect a decent July

Sure, me too. Splatoon 2 and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age should also do well, and Hey! Pikmin and EDIT:OOPS will be interesting to watch and could surprise.

This month showed us we shouldn't underestimate PS4 numbers later this year

Literally no one is doing this.

To be fair everything IS really dying. Including ourselves, the earth, the sun and the universe itself. We are today one day closer to the End of Everything ;)

No lies detected. Life is short. Don't waste it on console warz.

Why are ppl saying $249 as if it takes away from the fact that it sold so well.

Some others touched on this, but I wanted to as well. I think you've misread the intention.

Every product has two types of demand: Base Demand and Incremental Demand. Base demand comes from core attributes and qualities of a product. The product itself, the marketing, the base pricing, and the baseline distribution (how many stores it's in, for example). Incremental demand comes from short term changes to things like price, promotion and distribution.

Baseline demand for a product is what demand would be without any additional promotional support. Incremental demand is the additional demand generated by things like temporary price drops, and things like additional placement either in a store (like getting an endcap) or virtually (getting on the Amazon front page).

Identifying that there was a temporary price drop and additional promotion for the PS4 in the month isn't an attempt to discount performance, but rather explain why performance is better than would normally be expected.

The promotional pricing and placement drove incremental demand that, when added to the baseline demand, resulted in the performance. It's always good when doing sales analysis to identify the factors that could have impacted both base and incremental demand.

That's all.

borges

Banned
Sure, me too. Splatoon 2 and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age should also do well, and Hey! Pikmin and EDIT:OOPS will be interesting to watch and could surprise.

Sorry, completely offttopic, but after Orange is the new black I literally cant stop think in

maxresdefault.jpg

when I read your name.
And yes, with that Russian's red pronunciation.

Now on topic, someone please explain to me GTAV success. Is it possible that newcomers are people that is now interested in game because of its improved online mode?

cordy

Banned
Sorry, completely offttopic, but after Orange is the new black I literally cant stop think in

maxresdefault.jpg

when I read your name.
And yes, with that Russian's red pronunciation.

Now on topic, someone please explain to me GTAV success. Is it possible that newcomers are people that is now interested in game because of its improved online mode?

Ugh I HATED that dude.

Hero

Any estimates on how those Switch third party games sold besides ranked?

Interested in seeing if USFII and Disgaea 5 C did as well as we thought.

Kind of odd that Bomberman R doesn't even make top 10 Switch.

PS2 pretty much had zero competition in the US, so beating that would be pretty damn hard.
It's a tough number to top, but I don't know that I'd say no competition is the reason. Original Xbox and Gamecube combined are in the same general ballpark as Xbox One+WiiU+Switch over the same period.

Tigress

Source?

If true, PS4 still 2-to-1ing XB1 at this stage in the game is nuts.

Not really... once you get a comfortable lead you get all sorts of advantages. It gets the more known platform (and Playstation has had a name since the first one already), more people have friends on it so online players gravitate more towards it, it gets seen as the "one to have", the developers see more market on it so tend to favor it or at the very least are cheaper/easier to pay to get advantages on it.

It's hard in technology to be the 2nd one and the best way to avoid that is to get the jump at the start. And whoever is in lead has it easier to stay in lead, especially if they've had that lead for a while and really gotten name recognition, especially when it comes to consoles.

There's only like a dozen or so Piscatella-s in the US (lot of Piscatelli-s, bunch of Piscatello-s) so no one was weirded out by that more than I was.

They probably picked that name cause of that.

Is this the best year for the fighting game genre outside of the years Smash released in?

Wanted to get back to this one.

In terms of 1H performance, the first half of 2015 has outperformed 2017 in terms of full game sales, driven by (in alphabetical order) Dragon Ball: Xenoverse and Mortal Kombat X.

1H 2016 also did better in terms of non-Smash 1H pushed by (in alphabetical order) Mortal Kombat X, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Pokken Tournament, Street Fighter V and UFC 2.

So, certainly a great half for fighting games, but more a continuation of a trend more than something new.

I was wondering that no way PS3 and PS4 are that close when PS4 has destroyed PS3 every year launch aligned in US and I checked numbers myself. You have PS3 way off. After 44 months PS3 was at 12.7 million in US.

Kazuhira

GTAV is something out of this world,the game keeps selling like hot cakes.
I feel so sad for Prey and Arkane,game came out of nowhere and blew my mind.
Well,i guess now i understand how fans of the original game feel because a sequel is not happening.

GTAV is something out of this world,the game keeps selling like hot cakes.
I feel so sad for Prey and Arkane,game came out of nowhere and blew my mind.
Well,i guess now i understand how fans of the original game feel because a sequel is not happening.

I'd feel sad for Prey if the market leading version for NPD purposes wasn't so badly gimped. But it is, so the results aren't surprising.

noobie

Banned

Are you sure about PS3 numbers? They look quite reasonable to me. Or in other words look like PS4 is not doing anything exceptional wrt to PS3 just Xbox one is doing terrible.

BTW what were Xbox 360 numbers were after 44 months?

I'm amazed PS4 is still beating out PS2 WW. Like still in shock.

People need to remember that PS2 didn't have a massive geographic footprint from the moment it launched, whereas PS4 got into lots of different regions/countries really quickly.

IIRC, part of the reason PS2 sold so many units after PS3 came out was that Sony kept pushing into new regions (like India).

JusDoIt

Everything has DLC! I guess the investors love exposure instead of money...still pitiful to what the other fighters do...

Everything has DLC, but SFV's DLC has like 30 years of nostalgia built in and they got A LOT of stages and costumes for sale at like $4 a pop. And then you got the season passes, two of them so far, at $30. If just 10 percent of the install base buys one season pass Capcom makes almost $5 million.

darkwing

People need to remember that PS2 didn't have a massive geographic footprint from the moment it launched, whereas PS4 got into lots of different regions/countries really quickly.

IIRC, part of the reason PS2 sold so many units after PS3 came out was that Sony kept pushing into new regions (like India).

didn't the PS2 go for something like $99?

Horizon being the 5th best selling game of the year so far is pretty decent, considering it's the only game in the top 10 selling on only one platform.

I have it but let my brother borrow it before I really got into it, I really have to play that game when I get it back.

LordRaptor

I'm talking about one of the reasons why PS2 kept going so big WW even after PS3 came out?

the PS2 was still selling strongly in the US according to NPDs well after its successor launched, in a way that the PS3 did not continue to sell, and it is likely that the PS4 will also not continue to sell post PS5 launch.

Top Bottom