• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

the PS2 was still selling strongly in the US according to NPDs well after its successor launched, in a way that the PS3 did not continue to sell, and it is likely that the PS4 will also not continue to sell post PS5 launch.

I don't expect PS4 to sell as well as PS2 after PS5 comes out but it should do better than PS3.
Of course this depend on the price of PS4 ( $150 would be good ) and date for PS5.

the PS2 was still selling strongly in the US according to NPDs well after its successor launched, in a way that the PS3 did not continue to sell, and it is likely that the PS4 will also not continue to sell post PS5 launch.

It was selling well in the US.

But it was also selling well in lots of different places across the world where PlayStation (and other platforms) didn't have a strong foothold before.

PS4 is starting off with a much better global reach than PS2 in terms of the number of countries where it's being distributed. It's going to have an inherent launch-aligned unit advantage worldwide by virtue of that broader addressable market.

But I agree, it won't top PS2.

LordRaptor

I don't expect PS4 to sell as well as PS2 after PS5 comes out but it should do better than PS3.
Of course this depend on the price of PS4 ( $150 would be good ) and date for PS5.

It remains to be seen where exactly the manufacturing price floor is for the PS4 - things like a mandatory HDD elevate that floor, because improvements to HDD technology don't make lower capacity drives cheaper to buy, they make them impossible to source in bulk - which is why its likely you will see "value add" like larger capacity drives at existing MSRPs before full price cuts

I was wondering that no way PS3 and PS4 are that close when PS4 has destroyed PS3 every year launch aligned in US and I checked numbers myself. You have PS3 way off. After 44 months PS3 was at 12.7 million in US.
Of course you're correct. I added until June 2011 for PS3, not 2010. I've edited the post.

Are you sure about PS3 numbers? They look quite reasonable to me. Or in other words look like PS4 is not doing anything exceptional wrt to PS3 just Xbox one is doing terrible.

BTW what were Xbox 360 numbers were after 44 months?
No, I made a mistake. The PS3 numbers were for 56 months, not 44. So the actual comparison is:
PS2: 23.3m
PS4: 19.3m
360: 15.5m
PS3: 12.7m

Sorry for the confusion.

AmyS

I expect PS4 to sell better than PS3 (~85 million) and the original PlayStation (~102 million) but not as well as PS2 (somewhere around 155 ~ 160 million).

GTA V still an absolute beast, like 45 months after being released on last-gen consoles, 31 months on current gen consoles and 26 months on PC.

(think I got the # of months right that GTA V has been out: from September 2013, November 2014 and April 2015, respectively).

legend166

I feel like we're past the point for the PS4 where individual software releases are going to drive hardware sales. Clearly it's passed the threshold where it will continue to sell well based on the weight of software released and still to come. I think price is now more of a factor (as we saw this month, although I actually think, to contradict my own point, Crash would have sold some consoles since it appeals to a different demo).

I mean, how many people are out there that are just waiting for Destiny 2 to release before buying a PS4? I'd wager most of those willing to spend $300 for Destiny 2 already have a PS4.

It's like when GTA4 released last gen and everyone was shocked that it didn't cause an increase in 360/PS3 sales.

Is something they could have anticipated.

tenor.gif

Mat, do you think that the PS4 has already reached the point in its life-cycle where diversifying target demographic segments becomes vital to keep sales momentum? Would you say the Pro is one such move?

randomkid

Questions?

Oh, here's one I've been curious about. Have Persona 5's monthly drops been in line with other RPGs, whether niche (Tales, Digimon) or blockbuster (FF15)? Media Create and Famitsu always show enormous, like 85%-ish weekly drops for RPGs but for some reason I wasn't sure if North American RPG sales behaved the same super front-loaded way.

rolandss

I'm surprised by Ghost Recon Wildlands being YTD best seller. I've comepltely ignored that game and it reviewed to be quite mediocre. Wonder if it might be worth a look?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really think the combination of nostalgia + $40 price point is going to continue to score big in this industry. Ratchet and Clank and now Crash. What next?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really think the combination of nostalgia + $40 price point is going to continue to score big in this industry. Ratchet and Clank and now Crash. What next?

Hopefully Spyro, but I feel like that may have aged really badly gameplay wise? I don't know I can't really remember.

I feel like we're past the point for the PS4 where individual software releases are going to drive hardware sales. Clearly it's passed the threshold where it will continue to sell well based on the weight of software released and still to come. I think price is now more of a factor (as we saw this month, although I actually think, to contradict my own point, Crash would have sold some consoles since it appeals to a different demo).
As you say, price is a bigger factor now. But they can still potentially expand the audience with remaining properties that haven't appeared yet. Many AAA franchises have a lot of overlap with each other's audiences, but there are those which can stretch beyond typical gaming audiences. Dragon Quest XI can be that in Japan, and GTS in Europe. I'd argue that potentially Red Dead Redemption 2 or even Last of Us (though the remaster incurs doubt) might have some of the same effect in the US. This lists are very short, but the entries are real. Sales will start declining at some point, maybe this year...but these big tentpoles might make the downslope much gentler than otherwise.

I mean, how many people are out there that are just waiting for Destiny 2 to release before buying a PS4? I'd wager most of those willing to spend $300 for Destiny 2 already have a PS4.
Which is why I said upthread that I think bundling the sequel with Pro hardware instead is a good idea. That's a way to induce sales even with existing customers, by upconverting them to a premium product.

Zero83

Sad to see no Wipeout in there. I wish I bought that instrad of Crash Bandicoot. I love 2D and 3D platformers, but I don't think either Crash 1&2 are good games at all (haven't tried 3 yet).

Apart from the charm and graphics I can't see what's so special :/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sad to see no Wipeout in there. I wish I bought that instrad of Crash Bandicoot. I love 2D and 3D platformers, but I don't think either Crash 1&2 are good games at all (haven't tried 3 yet).

I say the same about wipeout actually in reverse. Always liked games like F Zero X and Extreme G 2, Jet Moto and such far better for high speed racers. Wipeout for me was always the one that went too slow and failed to hold my interest, that goes for the originals and the PSP games. Curious about if the remaster on PS4 fixes this though

You should be president of Nintendo, you sound like you know a lot of things

I would expect the CEO of a major company to have the hindsight of forecasting and preparing for hardware sales above average. The low stock they currently have is a MESS.

Curufinwe

It did better in the U.K., unsurprisingly.

kyser73

I say the same about wipeout actually in reverse. Always liked games like F Zero X and Extreme G 2, Jet Moto and such far better for high speed racers. Wipeout for me was always the one that went too slow and failed to hold my interest, that goes for the originals and the PSP games. Curious about if the remaster on PS4 fixes this though

Ever play it long enough to get to Phantom class or higher? What about supersonic in Zone Mode?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Still i remember more people wanting it after playing crash in UC4.
It sure help the nostalgia factor even if it was small amount.

It was a playable demo in a multi million selling title with the strongest affinity of any PlayStation franchise. The reach and impact of that - and I'm mostly talking about new comers/prospects - can't be ignored. Naughty Dog made it a marketing tactic and the engagement time and reach alone was genius.

I'm still waiting for the receipts from the guy who said he guarantee crash sales had zero to do with it ;)

Top Bottom