• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

JudgeN

People didn't think KZ2 was going to even show in the top 10 this month, why are people calling KZ2 numbers bad its the best selling Sony first party game so far.

jett

D-Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
Killzone 2 bombed, eh? I thought this one was a fairly safe bet for a hit, but I guess that's what abysmal advertising and an expensive system gets you. Seriously, whoever was in charge of advertising, or decided that advertising was the right thing to go budget sensitive on, should be fired.

It's at 600k ltd. I think it's doing fine.

Darklord

Banned
God, those PS3 numbers are pathetic. 360 still holds it ground though.

Wow at RE5 numbers too but who honestly thought KZ2 was going to be a mega seller? The first one was shit, it's not like Halo 2. 95% of the hype of that game was on forums.

That goes for Madworld too. That was never going to be a big seller.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
No Street Fighter IV?
No MadWorld?
No GTA: Chinatown Wars?

Uh oh.

Yepp, this is the Month of Fail for the praised Nintendo Core-Audience.

For me the DS has officially failed as an credible plattform for quality 3rd-Party Products...

joey_z

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
Inferior games sell better. AWESOME!
:lol :lol

Teh tears!

Does Sony even care to make any money this generation? Though I guess they are stuck in a Catch-22 situation. Cut costs and stand to lose more money with little promise of sufficient increase in sales or keep current price and minimize loss but forego any promise of increased sales.

VALIS

gregor7777 said:
So it HW > KZ2 is the US now? What did KZ2 do last month, 300k?

As I said earlier, yes, Halo Wars in March outsold the KZ2 sales of Feb/March combined.

360 also the only console not down YoY.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I love Capcom. Great to see how they're games sell. Keep on making the games we all love!

Eric WK

JudgeN said:
People didn't think KZ2 was going to even show in the top 10 this month, why are people calling KZ2 numbers bad its the best selling Sony first party game so far.

:lol

Nice way of making a bad situation look even worse.

Ranger X

Rapping Granny said:
Inferior games sell better. AWESOME!

What else is new? This was the most shooter-ish and generic of all Resident Evil ever + coop gameplay is ala mode. It was a given.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dax01 said:
Halo Wars outsold Killzone 2.:lol
Don't tell people that, they might cry.

Anyway, pretty much nailed the PS3 sales, overshot 360 sales by 50k and Wii sold much less than I thought, what happened to PSP sales too? Pretty awful sales there, waiting for PSP-4000?

Moving to SW sales Resi 5 sold quite a few, Resi 4 killed the series loyalty to Playstation so it shouldn't be surprising that the sales split followed the LTDs of the consoles.

Pokemon nearly sells a million in the first month, again, the 2 MLB games reach 500k at least and games like MK Wii, Wii Fit and Wii play just wont die. A complete lack of GTA:Chinatown Wars...I predicted 350k for that, shit.

JudgeN said:
Because it was outsold by a console RTS.

jett said:

You can't be serious. I mean, relative to other PS3 exclusives and various 3rd party games, sure, it's doing fine. But this was a major release which cost I don't know how much to develop, and this is the result in the most FPS happy region? Bad call to launch it with nearly no marketing, but seriously.

Eric WK said:

Nice way of making a bad situation look even worse.

Zing! :lol

Seriously though 300k is right around what I expected for KZ2 for March. I think Sony should be fairly satisfied with these numbers.

sullytao

Ah so thats why Sony were going off on one yesterday about the attach rate. Either way very nice on software all around.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Frillen said:
Halo Wars: 639k
KillZone 2: 621k

You know you're in trouble when a console RTS is outselling the greatest game of all time.
To be fair, this is probably the first time a console RTS has been done 'right'; or rather, to the best that the control limitations can allow.

Can update this post I made for Killzone 2 comparisons last month now:

Some comparison numbers for KZ2...

Gears 1 - 1.00m in 3 weeks to ~3.4m 360s
Bioshock - 0.49m in 10 days (0.64m over 40 days) to ~6.1m 360s.
COD4 - 1.57m in 4 weeks to ~7.8m 360s.

PS3
COD4 - 0.44m in 4 weeks to ~2.4m PS3s.
GTAIV - 1.0m in 5 days to ~4.2m PS3s.
MGS4 - 0.74m in 3 weeks to ~4.8m PS3s.
CODW@W - 0.60m in 2 weeks to ~6.1m PS3s.
Killzone 2 - 0.62m in 5 weeks to ~7.2m PS3s

Dabanton

JudgeN said:

After all the hype it should have done much better.

And considering the rumoured amounts of money Sony has sunk into it,i imagine a few people at Sony are drowning their sorrows tonight...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Second said:
Capcom must be pleased with RE5's numbers.
Just amazing.

A so much bigger success than RE4.
Series installments tend to be heavily influenced by their predecessor games. RE4 was probably negatively influenced by RE3, RE5 is positively influenced by RE4. It's a similar situation with the MGS games--MGS3 suffered because of MGS2's reception, and MGS4 benefited because of MGS3.

NomarTyme

Frillen said:
Halo Wars: 639k
KillZone 2: 621k

You know you're in trouble when a console RTS is outselling the greatest game of all time.
I think half of the people who bought HALO Wars didn't even know it was a RTS!

Frillen

Why predictions went to hell thanks to the Wii, as usual, and the PS3 and RE5 on both platforms. + I predicted Platinum to sell over 1 Million.

Proelite

cjelly said:
To be fair, this is probably the first time a console RTS has been done 'right'; or rather, to the best that the control limitations can allow.

Not to mention Killzone 2 is the shortest greatest game of all time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jett said:
I don't own a 360 or a PS3 and have no vested interest in this at all, but it seems ridiculous that people are whooping up 938k as amazing and at the same time 600k is supposed to be a bomba.

ymmv

Banned
Guled said:
wow at RE5, 1.5 million in NA in just 2 weeks. wow, it even beat pokemon

and wait, how the hell did KZ2 bomb? Its around 500k for just NA right?

600,000 copies in the US so far. The European PS3 market is bigger so worldwide sales should actually be more than 1 million copies by now (unless KZ2 completely bombed in Europe which seems rather unlikely)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
halowars.jpg

you know what to do. ;-)

Top Bottom