• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Tonza

DMPrince said:
how will microsoft spin this. I can't wait to see

Spin? No need, just quote the HW numbers and BAM there it is.

Also, Im surprised to see people surprised by PS3 version of FFXIII outselling the 360 version. Really?

GoWIII deserves those sales. Amazing game.

Baki

Jigsaw said:
gow2 sold around 800k during launch npd...now compare ps2 and ps3 hardware bases when the games were released

People need to stop doing this. The PS3 install base (for hardcore games) is at a point where the install base is not a limiting factor.

Zophar said:
That's like a 65/35 split, just like I said it would be. Was it worth it MS?
Yes because every sale of that game made on the 360, in there eyes someone did not buy a ps3 for it and play it on that system.
For MS its making sure people do not switch or buy a ps3 for games that they do not have on there platform.

Zophar said:
That's like a 65/35 split, just like I said it would be. Was it worth it MS?

Bundle sales are not included here I presume.

And why would it not be worth it? Some fraction of that 400k+ 360 owners who bought it last month would've bought a PS3 instead if it were exclusive.

gerg

Jigsaw said:
gow2 sold around 800k during launch npd...now compare ps2 and ps3 hardware bases when the games were released

But software sales don't scale linearly with hardware sales.

Not to deny the success of GoW 3, but I'm not sure of the worth of comparing install bases.

spwolf said:
you are right... if it wasnt in out of stock, sales would have been actually lower... thats the way internet works.

FYI, as much as i remember, it did get in-stock in force late in the month, which is probably why it got the sales it got.... and it seems it is out of stock again in many stores like target or gamestop... wtf sony...lol.

"Sales might not have been higher." =/= "Sales would have been lower."

Shizzlee said:
5z38rs.jpg
:lol

legend166

Any chance of getting Red Steel 2 numbers? After seeing that the top 10 ended at 350k, there was no way it was getting in there. Anything over 250k would be a pretty big success I think. Word of mouth has been good so it should have decent legs.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Gee, I really thought BF would outsell FF and GoW3. Guess I got owned.

With software sales like that you would have to assume the PS3 is in short supply to not sell more consoles.

threenote

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Bundle sales are not included here I presume.

And why would it not be worth it? Some fraction of that 400k+ 360 owners who bought it last month would've bought a PS3 instead if it were exclusive.
off topic, but do you post on style forum?

Dabanton

Are people really surprised at FF13 selling more on PS3?

Really now. :lol How long have PS3 owners been waiting for it? Well done to GOWIII very enjoyable, if very silly game.

Also Does anyone know what BC1 opened with when it released?

Road

neutralgamer02 said:
PlayStation 2 118.3K
PSP 119.9K

That is pretty depressing. Only a matter of time before the ps2 starts outselling the psp. Time to pull the plug?
On the PSP? Yes, in the West.

It is ironic the DS outsold it 7:1 this month and the 3DS is (probably) coming out before the PSP2.

Really suprised and majorly chuffed at those massive GoW sales. Didn't expect that many but well deserved for GotY.

V suprised to see FF13 PS3 so far ahead of the 360 version. Thought the gap would be less.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder how Yakuza 3, Strange Journey, and Resonance of Fate did.

I don't think I wanna know how Infinite Space did. :(

EagleEyes

Looks like the 360's lead in NA continues to grow over the PS3. Wow at the GoW III numbers. Finally an SCEA game hits 1 million in its opening month. Bravo

Anth0ny

Good stuff overall. I'm especially surprised that GOW3 sold more than Soul Silver. I know both games combined outsold it, but still... good shit.

Elios83

Nintendo back on top with their hardware.
Great month ( if not best ever) for PS3 software. 4 spots out of 10 are PS3 games. GOW3 has the best debut in the series.
FFXIII numbers should tell once and for all to a few people (emm mr. Wada?:lol ) which console has the JRPGs lovers on board and should also tell those scared japanese developers that yes, there's a market for JRPGs on HD consoles.
Too bad that Sony fucked with their PS3 shipments although both PS3 and 360 performance seems weak compared to February and considering it's a 5 weeks month.
PSP is dying....PS2 is about to surpass it. Just cut the price significantly or (and?) announce PSP2, it's time.

Zophar said:
That's sort of specious. Who's to say the 360 version didn't just cannibalize PS3 sales?

I don't understand why people are ignoring the benefits for SE. MS clearly gave them marketing money. It's not just software profits on the table here, putting the game on the 360 saved SE costs.

mr_nothin

Banned
bytesized said:
Are PS3 shortages THAT bad? :/
YES
Oh, and some anecdotal evidence....PS3's are STILL hard/rare to find where I am (Norcross, GA basically ATL, GA). Looked around at a BUNCH of stores and they all said the same thing: "no ps3's, are ps3's really in that high of a demand? we just had 10+ people call today asking about ps3's".

Pooya

FF13 360 numbers doesn't include copies bundled with the special edtion console, right?, the ratio is closer to 40:60.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Surprised Wii bumped up, guess it was just shortages.

Guess that's what caused the PS3 to not do very high this month.

PS2 almost outsold PSP. :lol

HeartGold :(

explodet

EmCeeGramr said:
Doesn't one version of Pokemon always end up outselling the other by some notable margin? I always found that odd.
I'm actually surprised it's Silver this time, normally the one mentioned first in order is the higher seller - at least it was with Ruby and Diamond.

Eliciel

It's official GT 5 is going to save the PS 3 XD

..just joking. I think that hardware sales are allright not what everyone would have expected but that's just how it is.

God of War 3 , Congratulations SCEA and I'm awaiting the "real" worldwide numbers.

Final Fantasy XIII - Let's see if this game accomplishes outselling any of the glorious 5 ( which are VII,VIII,IX,X,XII at least as far as sales are concerned ;) )

legend166 said:
Any chance of getting Red Steel 2 numbers? After seeing that the top 10 ended at 350k, there was no way it was getting in there. Anything over 250k would be a pretty big success I think. Word of mouth has been good so it should have decent legs.
RS2 was on sale for just over one week for this NPD - if it tracks like other Wii games targeted to traditional gamers it will probably be under 50k for March.

But I think it will definitely slow burn to 400-500k on word of mouth eventually (worldwide)

EagleEyes

mr_nothin said:
YES
Oh, and some anecdotal evidence....PS3's are STILL hard/rare to find where I am (Norcross, GA basically ATL, GA). Looked around at a BUNCH of stores and they all said the same thing: "no ps3's, are ps3's really in that high of a demand? we just had 10+ people call today asking about ps3's".
Don't start that. I'm just north of you and the PS3 stock has been plentiful here for at least a month.

Aspiring said:
So does this mean, next month GOW3 may have legs, as people pick up there consoles and games?

GoW3's huge performance isn't a result of people buying PS3s now to play it; it's a result of all the new owners who rushed out to buy a Slim last year going to the store day one to buy the biggest and best-advertised exclusive ever to hit the system.

Like other series that have ascended to super-hit status this way, GoW3's actually going to see shorter legs in all likelihood than previous entries -- GoW1 had huge legs because it never really "took off" until the Greatest Hits version came out, whereas now it's such a proven and popular franchise that people who paid $20 for GoW1 or 2 are willing to pay $60 upfront for GoW3.

That said, it'll hit over 1.5m easily. The game's a huge fucking success.

Baki said:
I think God of War benefits from the fact that since exclusives are so few and far between, it got alot more attention than its predecessors. This includes the press and SCE.

Well, I think it also benefits from, by all accounts, being a really fucking good game that's a sequel to (this one I can say for certain because I've played it) a fantastic game. The two effects are synergistic -- it stood out from the crowd due to a lack of exclusives, and then benefited even more from that attention by having such a rock-solid pedigree.

miladesn said:
and I think Versus will remain exclusive!

If there is no Sony money already paying for Versus exclusivity (I don't believe there is, myself) and if there is a conversation happening at Square-Enix about whether to port Versus based on FFXIII 360 sales (I have no idea whether there is or not) these numbers do not suggest the answer will be "no." The 360 version is probably going to move a million copies worldwide, and based on how the numbers broke down here (i.e. PS3 sales = FFXII first-month sales) it doesn't seem to be cannibalizing PS3 sales either -- some of those must be "new" customers you wouldn't see for an exclusive.

Celine

mugurumakensei said:
I'm waiting for pachter's article on how wii HW going up this month proves that Wii is in trouble.
He will simply point out how Wii had a decline YoY.
Can't win.

J-Rzez

GoW3 sales are very well deserved. Hope it keeps raking in the sales it deserves, and keeps the funding going into those killer studios.

They really need to sort their shortage issues out though for the PS3. Considering my one friend that finally took the plunge for GoW3, U2, FFXIII (meh), and MAG had to drive almost 2 hours away to get to a store that had one in stock for his impulse buy (income tax refund lol), they need to get on this. I didn't think it was that bad.

boontje

Road said:
Total hardware per week:

January - 410k
February - 507k
March - 430k

Nintendo's strong performance was not enough. It is better than last year's March, though -- 398k per week.

Makes me wonder if NPD made some corrections in February, I can't really see any good reason for that month being so high.

Elios83

Sony comments on the month:

With today's release of the March NPD data, Sony Computer Entertainment America boasted that PS3 "continues to be the only hardware console to see double digit growth both year over year (44%) and year to date (36%)." PS3 software, hardware, and peripheral sales accounted for 26% of the video game dollar share in March, which was the highest of any console, Sony said. The company also noted that the PlayStation brand made up 31% of the total video game dollar share in March.

The PS3 business was given a great boost in March by God of War III, which sold 1.1 million units for the month. Additionally, the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII sold nearly double the Xbox 360 version. Sony couldn't be happier with the momentum it's gained for the PS3 business, but the hardware continues to be slightly hampered by supply problems.

"The huge appetite for PS3 content and gaming experiences has never been stronger as we continue to bring out great games like God of War III which was the #1 software title in March with more than 1.1 million units sold in less than 3 weeks. We also remain the only console to see double digit growth of 44% when compared to last March and are up 36% at this point in the calendar year. It's no surprise, consumer demand remains incredibly high and PS3 supply will continue to be tight across our retail channels in the next few months," said Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA. "We're experiencing healthy momentum from an already blockbuster lineup of games such as MAG, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, MLB 10 The Show, and God of War III in just the past 3 months -- which some would call a great year, but for us it represents just the first quarter of many anticipated games like ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, and others we have yet to announce this year. "

xbhaskarx

Whoa, massive GoW3 and FFXIII sales vault PS3 into third place!

Good numbers for Battlefield 360, just 3k less than FFXIII PS3.

DS in its own league, Wii back to beating the entire Sony PlayStation Family's combined sales.

Sony need to take the PS3 and PSP out back and put them out of their misery.

Top Bottom