• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

big youth

If checkers is comical instead pretend I wrote Sorry, Pictionary, Othello, Scrabble, or some other game. You don't think showing a family playing a board game as a 3 second section of a 30 second TV spot wouldn't help get the versatility of the Gamepad across? in that post I forgot to mention karaoke. It highlights yet another neat way the Gamepad can be used.

Hero

Lego City doing 100K on an install base of 1 million is pretty good, 10% attach ratio for a Lego kids game with no prestigious Star Wars/Batman IP attached to it.

Sucks for NFS but what do you expect out of late ports.

MH3 didn't do terrible. Wonder what Capcom was expecting though.

If checkers is comical instead pretend I wrote Sorry, Pictionary, Othello, Scrabble, or some other game. You don't think showing a family playing a board game as a 3 second section of a 30 second TV spot wouldn't help get the versatility of the Gamepad across? in that post I forgot to mention karaoke. It highlights yet another neat way the Gamepad can be used.

No because focusing on a bunch of features tablets do better is the wrong way to go. Can you imagine if Sony put out an ad for the PS3 talking about how it plays netflix and you can store photos and music? The gamepad is not a revolutionary media device. Not even close. And the wiiu is not cheap either.

Vita will find some space in PS4 sections ;)

Well i guess they cant throw the boxes away

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bioshock, fuck yeah!

big youth

No because focusing on a bunch of features tablets do better is the wrong way to go. Can you imagine if Sony put out an ad for the PS3 talking about how it plays netflix and you can store photos and music? The gamepad is not a revolutionary media device. Not even close. And the wiiu is not cheap either.

Did I only imagine the Netflix advertisements Sony did? Part of the It Only Does Everything campaign. Sony is much better with their advertisements than neogaf gives them credit for.

Wii U can do many things tablets can't, or at least do them better. When there are no games to advertise (Dec-end of March) Nintendo should have been advertising the console itself.

Sandfox

No, it was just another in a long, sad, expensive, line of failed attempts to jump on the "tablets are selling like crazy! We need one!" bandwagon.

Just like how Sony/MS tried to copy their motion controls, which were the hot shit at the time, Nintendo made the same mistake at trying to bandwagon jump, instead of creating an all new bandwagon, or souping up the one they have.

IMO it would function more like a tablet if that was true; I think that's true for the 3DS though.

Did I only imagine the Netflix advertisements Sony did? Part of the It Only Does Everything campaign. Sony is much better with their advertisements than neogaf gives them credit for.

Wii U can do many things tablets can't, or at least do them better. When there are no games to advertise (Dec-end of March) Nintendo should have been advertising the console itself.

Examples? The only one i see is playing games. What other features would possibly make people drop 300 on he platform?

DrWong

Copy pasting my own post:

Fake or real? Also saw it this morning on a Chinese website...

Nintendo Of America Interna Release Schedule Document Leaked

NoA.jpg

I'm suspicious as the "Not yet announced" category isn't leaked here when it should be, being the most juicy leaks...

Bruno MB

Now that I see it, ouch! at Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate, that thing tanked big time.

30,000 units sold in a full month of sales (it was released on March 5 = 33 days of sales)

I had even forgotten that it was released last month. I'm afraid Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia will have been my last Castlevania title. I couldn't care less about the new path for the series.

I don't think we will see many Konami projects for 3DS.

my response to shinra-bansho and Of All Trades:

again and again I see people on this board underestimate the power of advertising. Take for example Apple, one of Nintendo's biggest modern inspirations, who, against all odds (price, strength of brand, less storage in early ipods, etc) rose to astronomical highs on the back of powerful marketing. Just like the Wii, which was literally advertised on almost every channel during prime time, Apple made their products seem cool, and people bit.

So yes, I think Nintendo has missed some opportunities. The tablet controller showed very well at E3 because Nintendo highlighted a dearth of features that they still haven't shown the public. They showed the universal remote feature, video chat, checkers, drawing application, Twitter-like functionality during live TV, having Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu all in one database, etc. These are the type of features that, if advertised properly, would impress.

and the notion that nearly 100% of America knows about Wii U just shows how out of touch you are. Asking a few random people on the street if they know what Wii U is might bring you back to reality...and make people think you're crazy.

Apple products filled a problem for consumers.

The "hook" of the wiiu solves no problems for basically anyone.

"If the TV is in use I'll game ony phone/tablet/PCM....or boy at all" is the way most people will view what the WiiU is trying to do. Bintendobis marrieds to the Gamepas which is seemingly not compelling g enough to penetrate this mindset

Done.

AniHawk

actually

does anyone know if the item code for new leaf is out anywhere right now? if it's not, and the codes wind up matching, that would lend some legitimacy to the list. luigi's mansion matches, but that game's been out for a while. someone with time on their hands could have done their research.

I know I'd put SUPER SECRET at the top of all my internal documents. Must be legit.
That you personally think things are "neat", things that Words with Friends or Draw Something already do, things that shock, horror! board games already do, or that things that the SingStar did on the PS2 are revolutionary, does not make them compelling unique selling points.

Hsieh

actually

does anyone know if the item code for new leaf is out anywhere right now? if it's not, and the codes wind up matching, that would lend some legitimacy to the list. luigi's mansion matches, but that game's been out for a while. someone with time on their hands could have done their research.

It matches the UPC code listed by Fry's Electronics:

http://www.frys.com/product/7619347

Edit:
Pikmin 3 also matches

http://www.frys.com/product/7184152

Of course since these UPC codes are available online and aren't a secret, it doesn't necessarily mean much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder how well Wii U would be doing if instead of the tablet Nintendo had stuck with an advanced/upgraded version of the Wii Remote.

DrWong

actually

edit: ah, so someone did do their homework. even got the right model number. that is a lot of work for a fake list.

The google translation of the Chinese news I was reading this morning says this "leaked" document is from 4Chan and was circulating there earlier than the Nintendo Direct which announced the Pikmlin 3 US release date...

Nope. The market simply doesn't know or understand yet. For most people Wii U doesn't exist, for the remainder it's an addon to Wii.

Yes its really hard for the public to understand a controller with a screen on it. And I'm sure once the word is out they'll chuck their tablets in the ocean and run to the stores. I can buy brand confusion, but there is nothing hard to understand about the wiiu gamepad and reminds me of Skyzards insane posts about people just needing to see wipeout to want a vita. Is it really that incomprehensible that people find the concept not appealing and dont want it

Blearth

Banned
Yes its really hard for the public to understand a controller with a screen on it. And I'm sure once the word is out they'll chuck their tablets in the ocean and run to the stores

Yup. Who needs a 2048x1536 iPad with multitouch and 10 hour battery life when you can get a 854x480 single-touch screen with 3 hour battery life that only works in certain areas of your house?

Kenaras

i think they wanted to make the ds into a home console. it was probably easier to make similar games that way. plus, in 2008, the ds was selling like fucking crazy. i agree that the wii u should have been a refinement of motion controls instead of this.

Looked at that way, Nintendo's mistake with the Wii U is eerily similar to Sony's mistake with the Vita. Sony thought handheld gamers wanted the PS3 turned into a handheld; they were wrong. Nintendo thought console gamers wanted the DS turned into a console; they were also wrong.

Sandfox

Yup. Who needs a 2048x1536 iPad with multitouch and 10 hour battery life when you can get a 854x480 single-touch screen with 3 hour battery life that only works in certain areas of your house?

Even if the Wii U was selling gangbusters people wouldn't be buying it as an iPad alternative. I've never really liked the comparison between the Wii U and tablets since its just a console version of the DS.

Vita is not a PS3, not even close.

Its supposed to be a console experience on the go.

DR2K

Banned
Looked at that way, Nintendo's mistake with the Wii U is eerily similar to Sony's mistake with the Vita. Sony thought handheld gamers wanted the PS3 turned into a handheld; they were wrong. Nintendo thought console gamers wanted the DS turned into a console; they were also wrong.

Vita is not a PS3, not even close.

AniHawk

The google translation of the Chinese news I was reading this morning says this "leaked" document is from 4Chan and was circulating there earlier than the Nintendo Direct which announced the Pikmlin 3 US release date...

that might be true, but maybe this person only knew of pikmin 3's release date ahead of time. maybe they just knew somebody in noa and it let slip. one thing that's incorrect on the paper is mario & luigi's item code listing it wup when it should be 3ds.

It needs GAMES. Why do people keep saying it needs a pricecut? It needs compelling software. You think people are going to spend $200 to buy a box with nothing they want? Games always sell systems not the other way around
It needs both. Did you think the 3DS didnt need a price drop when it was $250 and it would manage with the late 2011 titles? Cmon.

Dunlop

Lego City doing 100K on an install base of 1 million is pretty good,

It's an amazing game, I picked up a WiiU when it was $200 at Costco and I cannot even say it was worth that price.

Everything about this system is so half assed.

DrWong

that might be true, but maybe this person only knew of pikmin 3's release date ahead of time. maybe they just knew somebody in noa and it let slip. one thing that's incorrect on the paper is mario & luigi's item code listing it wup when it should be 3ds.

Yep, noticed that too.

No new game > 1m 

600k < gowj < gowa < tr, but the diff between each other is less than 10k 

hunter / lego fan could be sad 

gowa have bundle sku, so you could figure it out. 

100k < lego < hunter 3ds+wiiu < 130k 

nfs < 10k 

IGN4.7(Castlevania) ~ 30k 

MH3U: 3DS: 3/5 Wii U: 2/5 

Wii U ver is 13th of all Wii U SW LTD. 

60.9K < MHU 3DS < 77.4K 

40.4K < MHU WiiU < 51.6K

If these are fairly accurate, that's not a terrible showing for Monster Hunter is it?

So I think Lego City's sales aren't too bad at all. Considering the user-base about 1 in 10/11 people bought it, so that's not bad and could have been far worse. Monster Hunter not nearly as pretty for it. Poor, poor NFS. I mean, it's hardly surprising but still that is extremely poor. And for it to be outsold by the Vita version this month alone is just sad. But not unexpected, you can't expect any console owners to lap up such a late port that was full price and get away with it. The other late ports coming aren't going to be much better.

God of War sales aren't too bad considering. In fact they are better than what I was expecting going off all the sales chatter and UK drop off. Sure it's a ~50% drop from GoWIII (if you don't count Ascensions bundles) but all in all that's not too bad.

Gears is a huge drop off from Gears 3, so that was a huge fail. 3 million+ down to ~600k is abysmal. Still Gears is a big name on Xbox and should be a big seller again next gen, unless people are really tired of the franchise.

Great for Bioshock, very promising sales, and highest in the series. TR a bit of a disappointment I guess. Good for Luigi too.

Top Bottom