• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

33k for the Vita? Good night sweet prince. Good lord

At this point it's impossible to have expectations that are too low for Vita.

I don't see how they can keep shelf space at this point. I think the retailers will go ahead and kill it if Sony doesn't. Two more consoles with multiple sku's are coming this year. Something has to give.

Yeah, I think we'll start to see smaller stores with limited shelf space to be the first to drop vita.

gcubed

Yeah, I think we'll start to see smaller stores with limited shelf space to be the first to drop vita.

its unbelievable that its that low, i still can't believe they never dropped the price in the US. It looks like the Wii/DS was an exception, none of these companies can support both a handheld and a console

Tobor

How do you figure yes for this gen but no for next?

If they havent expanded their development teams, their first party support will be just as anemic in either scenario.

As for the actual answer....who knows?

They dont say shit about shit so we havent a clue if they ARE adding to their development repertoire, so no way to speculate on that front. We can come up with hypotheticals based on given scenarios though.

If they dont expand, there will always be one platform to suffer for it at any given time.

If they do, they have a higher chance of becoming self sufficient and carving a decent profitable marketshare for themselves amongst core gamers (assuming they develop software that appeals to them).

I think flat out saying "no", like Tobor has above and then following that with "they should kill it" is asinine without any information internally.

We'll find out soon enough anyway, without having to make baseless guesses. After whatever software barage they have planned for the U late this year, lets see how well or rather how steady the strean of software remains for both platforms.

We know the answer is "no" because we have yet another botched launch after yet another round of promises that this time will be different.

Either the resources exist and are badly mismanaged, or they don't exist, which is also bad management. The outcome is the same.

It's not asinine to make conclusions based on results.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
1) No. 240K is not > 250K.
2) Apples-to-apples retail comparison is 140K for FE:A.

1)Well, it's basically there
2)Actually, retail comparison is 250k v.s. 164k (117k first month, 47k second month).

33k for the Vita? Good night sweet prince. Good lord

In comparison, the 3DS's lowest week was July 2011 with 90 thousand units, the month that Nintendo announced the 3DS will get a price cut.

There's just no room for the Vita in the heavily-eroded handheld market. It's 3DS, Android, or iPhone. Everything else is just deadweight.

its unbelievable that its that low, i still can't believe they never dropped the price in the US. It looks like the Wii/DS was an exception, none of these companies can support both a handheld and a console

So your saying MSFT is the smart one:p (I agree with your premise)

I think dropping the price of Vita is throwing good money at bad. Vita's problems go way deeper than just price. The product is fundamentally flawed on many different levels.

Please note: This is a business perspective post.

I don't see how they can keep shelf space at this point. I think the retailers will go ahead and kill it if Sony doesn't. Two more consoles with multiple sku's are coming this year. Something has to give.

Disney Infinity will also demand a fair amount of shelf space.

kinggroin

Banned
Because we know for a fact that they have expanded their development teams and Wii U still doesn't have much announced. Plus, their third party support is awful and, I believe, irreparably damaged. That doesn't bode well for the future. "Resources" also refers to money to handle losses.

Money isnt the problem. Not by a long shot.

And if we know for a fact they havent or currently arent going through expansion, id like to see links with facts. Using the shitty launch as one, is absolutely stupid.

If you do have that info, then....wow! Nintendo is truly collectively fucked in the head. The Wii U along with them.

In comparison, the 3DS's lowest week was July 2011 with 90 thousand units, the month that Nintendo announced the 3DS will get a price cut.

There's just no room for the Vita in the heavily-eroded handheld market. It's 3DS, Android, or iPhone. Everything else is just deadweight.

Rebrand and Re "bundle" the thing into the PS4 sorta like MSFT with Kinect. Advertise it as an "added" experience. Market those "experiences." That is probably the only thing they could "try" to do with the Vita. Low chance for success giving its cost though.

gcubed

So your saying MSFT is the smart one:p (I agree with your premise)

yes. If they actually do release the live focused surface thats probably the best of both worlds, and generally the "safest" route.

You kinda saw that Sony wasn't able to steadily handle the PSP and PS3, it just got worse with less 3rd party support on the Vita and the impending PS4.

Since NPD started tracking data back in January 1995, the Wii U had the worst launch out of ANY Nintendo home console.

Here's a direct comparison:

fg5hOMt.png

And its momentum sucks. :p

Holy mackerel...almost 40% less than GC?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

As I said on the other page, it became an untenable situation when portable games became mini-console games. Titles like Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion 2 says a lot of the 3DS vs WiiU situation, while on Vita you have customers expecting things like Uncharted and Killzone matching their PS3 counterparts, but released on a frequent basis. Thats just a war on two fronts neither company can win, and all the while its the app-market thats gloriously just absorbed that low dev cost pickup and play stuff normally making handheld development expectations manageable.

So now you'll see Sony double down on consoles and streaming that content to other devices, all while Nintendo doubles down on the once and future king HD dedicated handheld.

It has an anemic amount of space already.

A Gamestop I went in to has moved the Vita to a floor-shelf which is where they put PSP games, retail PC games (Steam cards are up front), and LEs people pre-ordered but never picked up.

Best Buy has two shelves dedicated to it, or did, but one of those shelves is used PSP games now that got shifted over for the used PS3 games.

False. They tracked video games systems under Toys earlier, but just moved them to their own section around that time.

NPD's public position is that they only guarantee video game sales back to January 1995...yeah, they've been tracking "toys" since the 1980s, with video game sales mixed in with "the toys," but that's what I was going by. Regardless, I'll edit my post to be more specific.

kinggroin

Banned
We know the answer is "no" because we have yet another botched launch after yet another round of promises that this time will be different.

Either the resources exist and are badly mismanaged, or they don't exist, which is also bad management. The outcome is the same.

It's not asinine to make conclusions based on results.

It is when any reasonable person knows how long it takes to see those results.

All we can say for certain is that they didnt have the resources to support both platforms leading in. The near or distant future, who the fuck knows until we cross that bridge?

At least, I imagine the original question was regarding the future, not the obvious current situation.

If Im wrong, my apologies to the OP, but then its a useless thing to discuss since numbers speak so loudly anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Money isnt the problem. Not by a long shot.

And if we know for a fact they havent or currently arent going through expansion, id like to see links with facts. Using the shitty launch as one, is absolutely stupid.

If you do have that info, then....wow! Nintendo is truly collectively fucked in the head. The Wii U along with them.

Others on GAF have put up detailed explanations (with sources) of how Nintendo has expanded their teams over the past coup,e years, so we know it has happened.

Mario007

MH has a pretty small and extremely dedicated fanbase. With that sort of audience having a massmarket intalled base matters less, it's why some games can actually move decents numbers on tiny userbases. The notion that sales scale proptionately to userbase is really the one with no merit.

The audience is a little north of 100k post-Tri (over 400k ltd btw), previously the series did much worse on PS2/PSP (Unite's 68k debut being the highpoint). 3G shows that audience has been maintained upfront with little real effort on Capcom's part. That's encoraging, there's a sustained larger fanbase to build off now. This really isn't a bad result at all, and has no negative bearing on MH4, which is obviously coming over anyway. And it'll probably outsell Deep Down too. ;)
Duder you're just being delusional for the sake for being delusional. Saying MH4 will beat Deep Down in US just seals it. I wonder how you'll be arguing next month if SS manages to make the same numbers as MH3G on the 3DS and how it's an awful result. (now mind you there's a 90% chance it won't sell as much).

Rebrand and Re "bundle" the thing into the PS4 sorta like MSFT with Kinect. Advertise it as an "added" experience. Market those "experiences." That is probably the only thing they could "try" to do with the Vita. Low chance for success giving its cost though.

With the way the Wii U is selling, is this something Sony can even represent as an attractive offer to consumers?

Nintendo has been pushing dual screen console gaming since around 2003, and Sony has had remote play for a while with PSP, it's just not something that most people find interesting based on current offerings.

Though I will say I don't understand Best Buy's shelving design at all

For a brief period, mine had games split in two with DVDs in the middle. It was very strange.

donny2112

NPD's public position is that they only guarantee video game sales back to January 1995...yeah, they've been tracking "toys" since the 1980s, with video game sales mixed in with "the toys," but that's what I was going by. I'll edit my post.

Oh, okay. Weird that they don't want to guarantee the pre-1995 sales data.

On the subject of the chart, N64 and Wii both started out great. N64 because of coming off of SNES and Super Mario 64. Wii because of Wii Sports. Really only worth comparing the two lesser systems in GCN and Wii U, then, I'd think.

gcubed

As I said on the other page, it became an untenable situation when portable games became mini-console games. Titles like Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion 2 says a lot of the 3DS vs WiiU situation, while on Vita you have customers expecting things like Uncharted and Killzone matching their PS3 counterparts, but released on a frequent basis. Thats just a war on two fronts neither company can win, and all the while its the app-market thats gloriously just absorbed that low dev cost pickup and play stuff normally making handheld development expectations manageable.

So now you'll see Sony double down on consoles and streaming that content to other devices, all while Nintendo doubles down on the once and future king HD dedicated handheld.

yeah, the best case is trying to integrate your store on a more multifunction device like a rumored live surface tablet. Sony did a terrible job with PS Mobile.

Road

The audience is a little north of 100k post-Tri (over 400k ltd btw), previously the series did much worse on PS2/PSP (Unite's 68k debut being the highpoint). 3G shows that audience has been maintained upfront with little real effort on Capcom's part. That's encoraging, there's a sustained larger fanbase to build off now. This really isn't a bad result at all, and has no negative bearing on MH4, which is obviously coming over anyway. And it'll probably outsell Deep Down too. ;)

Do you have the updated MH numbers from NPD? Can you share them?

With the way the Wii U is selling, is this something Sony can even represent as an attractive offer to consumers?

Nintendo has been pushing dual screen console gaming since around 2003, and Sony has had remote play for a while with PSP, it's just not something that most people find interesting based on current offerings.

I did say "low chance" for success :p

If anything it can bleed off stock.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I rented Ascension, and it didn't seem bad at all from what I played of it. The problem all future GoW titles will have is that the bar has been raised so much, that unless there's several epic moments in the game where Kratos is the size of an ant battling an enemy too big for the screen, it's going to be frowned upon.
We're at the point where GoW needs to be one release per generation.
This is always such a weakass excuse.

You released 4 main line entries,2 portable entries, and 2 HD Remixes in 7 years. The game played it safe and just went with bigger and more as better. You built up the trilogy(People want to see that epic end) and then produce a prequel.

Ascension isn't a bad game, the problem is that its the same game. The tricks are getting old and do they have the capabilities of turning it around?

kinggroin

Banned
Others on GAF have put up detailed explanations (with sources) of how Nintendo has expanded their teams over the past coup,e years, so we know it has happened.

That means nothing in the context of this argument.

Ok, so expanded to juuuust meet the increased expecation that comes with better portable hardware... and what?

Its obvious that at least coming into this situation, they did not have the team sizes to cover both. Its also obvious they expected third parties to cover the gap on the console side.

That fell through and now they have to scramble to support it, much mkre than they may have anticipated.

Im asking, where is proof they are expanding to meet this new challenge? Im talking for the future, not what we already know to be the current dire situation. And, im saying we havemt heard shit about them expanding or not expanding to meet said challenge.

If they dont outright tell us, then all we have to go on is the situation when it comes upon us (which im admittedly assuming to be after all this promised software this fall). Their software consistency for BOTH platforms will tell us everything they wont. Get my point?

The Wii brand should really be a case study on how incompetence at the executive level destroys a brand name.

The late years of Wii and Wii U were one misstep after another.

Wii as a product was always destined to be short-lived due to what it offered, but Nintendo refused to believe that. A damn shame.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, okay. Weird that they don't want to guarantee the pre-1995 sales data.

On the subject of the chart, N64 and Wii both started out great. N64 because of coming off of SNES and Super Mario 64. Wii because of Wii Sports. Really only worth comparing the two lesser systems in GCN and Wii U, then, I'd think.

It always surprises me how N64 sold very, very bad in boh Japan (!) and Europe (eh, coming from SNES it was less shocking to see in Europe, given how well SEGA did here), but in the end it fared good in US all things considered. SNES legacy + many games (not just traditional Nintendo titles, let's think about Goldeneye) considered interesting by US audience, it seems.

Yes, that's the historical norm in the U.S. market for pretty much any system.

I've argued this many times in the past. A lot of posters continue to perpetuate this myth that monthly system sales are directly tied to big game releases. There are occasional historical bumps but the impact of any one game is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

Tetris (OG Gameboy version) and Wii Sports might be the only examples where one title clearly continued to sell a system for years and years. Some might argue for Super Mario Bros. and Halo fall into this category as well, but they aren't in the same category as Tetris and Wii Sports.

gcubed

The Wii brand should really be a case study on how incompetence at the executive level destroys a brand name.

Wii as a product was always destined to be short-lived due to what it offered, but Nintendo refused to believe that. A damn shame.

that brings up an interesting note that i never thought of, barring the naming issues, how much of an affect did the end of generation disaster that the Wii was have on the WiiU. I mean there was no lead up to the WiiU from the previous generation

Though I will say I don't understand Best Buy's shelving design at all

For a brief period, mine had games split in two with DVDs in the middle. It was very strange.

The one I live by has Games in the far back right side corner, then it has home theater, then the PS3 section sandwiched in between the sound and the TVs, all by itself.

And the preowned games stand is outside of both sections.

IMO it just seems like they effectively killed the Wii prematurely (seemingly downsizing development for it after 2010) a few years before the next Wii was supposed to get off the ground. And when it did come into play it feels like it got to the party way too late to compete.

It'll probably hold out to become a family console next gen once Nintendo figures out what direction it wants to take. It'll do better, but the message right now they're sending to consumers is 'run away'

kinggroin

Banned
that brings up an interesting note that i never thought of, barring the naming issues, how much of an affect did the end of generation disaster that the Wii was have on the WiiU. I mean there was no lead up to the WiiU from the previous generation

Massive.

And as an example of either incompetence or arrogance, they used that Wii name to spear head the launch of their new platform.

Should have been a new product entirely.

liger05

There is real potential that in a few years this will be a case study on how a brand can go from market leader to irrelevant in such a short space of time.

I think its had a huge effect. Its like Nintendo just thought wii owners have been waiting for the wii u for 2 years and not decided to invest in other products.

Just re-launch the Wii-U, Nintendo.

Sega did it successfully with the Mega Drive 2
Sony did it successfully with the Slim

You can do it with the Wii U, just make sure it launches in conjunction with a killer game, and I don't mean fucking Pikmin 3 either.

Tobor

It is when any reasonable person knows how long it takes to see those results.

All we can say for certain is that they didnt have the resources to support both platforms leading in. The near or distant future, who the fuck knows until we cross that bridge?

At least, I imagine the original question was regarding the future, not the obvious current situation.

If Im wrong, my apologies to the OP, but then its a useless thing to discuss since numbers speak so loudly anyway.

Any reasonable person would know that the gap between the 3DS launch and Wii U launch was enough to see some results. Shareholders were promised results in that timeframe.

gcubed

Just re-launch the Wii-U, Nintendo.

Sega did it successfully with the Mega Drive 2
Sony did it successfully with the Slim

You can do it with the Wii U, just make sure it launches in conjunction with a killer game, and I don't mean fucking Pikmin 3 either.

they have no time, especially if the PS4 or 720 are priced within range of the WiiU

I can't see 2 ever happening.

Well, the first is a huge long shot, and Sony has already made it overwhelmingly clear that they're not willing to invest enough in the platform to give option 3 a shot, so...

Nintendo will report earnings within a week. That is when we can really dissect how big of a problem they have.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

"Please look forward to E3."

I'm also curious how Sony will handle Vita at their FY2012 results release/briefing on May 9. Prediction: They'll claim that the Japanese price cut is an unqualified success, assert that "an attractive software lineup" is still coming, and make another laughably optimistic prediction for FY2013 sales (~6m, maybe).

Top Bottom