• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Could it be a sign that Nintendo is getting better at promoting their biggest titles even on Wii U (at least in US)?

Mario Party has always been a good seller regardless of the critical reception to be honest.

Do people think XV will sell more than XIII?

Eh, I don't know.

XIII sold 6.7 million if I am not mistaken, 2 million are from Japan alone.

If the West can make up for the lost sales in Japan, surely, but I doubt so.

Don't know why people are surprised by Mario Party 10 sales?

It's always been a strong franchise with mass appeal. GAF tastes/opinions don't always (or even often) resonate with the mass market.

Xenus

184k on two systems isn't good. Majora's Mask would have charted if the charts were single sku.

Nah I meant with it wasn't as bad as 4th vs 10th implied. Also I think FF PS4 probably would have charted as well if the splits elsewhere have shown us anything, It's XBO that is probably dreadful dreadful numbers.

Surprised at Mario Party's sales. Happy to see any Nintendo title do well, no matter how weak it is.

Also surprised to see Type-0 fare so poor. Didn't expect Handsome to beat it.

massoluk

Banned
In March, cumulative U.S. Xbox One sales continued to outpace Xbox 360 sales at the same point in its lifecycle

They're not gonna bother getting a new answer, do they? Just replace "March" with whatever month.

GorillaJu

I think its sales will be determined by where it comes out in the generational cycle. Earlier in the generation = more sales, later means less.

I do think it'll do better than XIII in the end, because just looking at the media and what we've seen for it, I have a better feeling about the final product.

Kill3r7

Looking back at it, I'm surprised more people aren't more surprised at Mario Party 10.
Userbase way smaller, series in decline, and yet 4th in the top 10. Arguably more impressive than Bloodborne in the end.

Great job. Kind of shocked with the Type-0 results. Very impressed by BB and Borderlands as well.

LOCK

This to me was a good month, especially for Nintendo.

Though consoles saw a decrease in unit sales, we have an explanation due to Titanfall last year. The revenue decrease is not that important in the long trend of things.

Software revenue was down too, but the titles this year I guess just wasn't as strong. Maybe the summer months will by up YOY, with Splatoon, Batman and etc.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Great debut for Bloodborne. GTA V seems like the first full priced sales monster marathon in a long time. I wonder how close the $349.99 price and software bundling is getting Xbox One to PS4 sales compared to last year. Pricing strategies for the back half of the year will be very interesting.

Yeah, BF:Hardline has more PS3 players than 360, and more PS4 than XB1

rdTiXf5.png
I figured BF4 selling more on PS4 would be more damaging to the brand on that platform, but I guess people have short memories. Looks like Evolve fell off the face of the Earth pretty fast.

Assuming 190K+110K for Japan gets us to 300K. Assuming Europe is also 150K-esque, ROW 100K, + digital probably gives us a conservative estimate of 600K or so sold. I mean the up-port was clearly cheap, and would assume that would enough to make back their initial investment. Definitely a disappointment, but I think it came out a year too late. What was dated now might have been forgiven in a year where Watchdogs was a must-buy on next-gen. The problem was that by this month there was actually quality content out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mario Party has always been a good seller regardless of the critical reception to be honest.

I'm not denying that it's always been good, but...I need to remind you that it's the Wii U we're talking about. The console was having mid-to-major problems in selling Nintendo games as well, up to the first half of 2014. Then, after Mario Kart 8 released, sales for Nintendo games got better across the board (aside from Bayonetta 2 ;_; even if it was the sequel of a title that went over 350,000 units in US with a major contribution from deep price cuts and it was having some sort of legs, up to January...). Mario Party 10 continues the trend.

As someone who isn't even enjoying Bloodborne, it's sad that Hardline won out really. Obviously it has a sufficient market to attract people, but it's unfortunate to see a game that is, in basically every way, inferior to its predecessor get rewarded at the tills.

Kal_El

MLB THE SHOW is a fantastic game. Much deserved success. Bloodborne I believe will have great sales throughout the summer once school is out.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Hmm? Those are their 17th month sales that I combined.

Sorry, let me clarify.

"the Xbox One and PS4, whose combined cumulative hardware sales are over 50 percent higher than the combined seventeen-month cumulative sales totals for the Xbox 360 and PS3.”"

The statement says that X1 + PS4 combined cumulative sales are 50% higher than PS3+360 cumulative sales totals for first 17 months.

So what that means is that as of March 2015,

The PS3 sold 4.05m in it's first 17 months, the Xbox 360 sold 5.22m in its first 17 months.

Add them together = 9.27m

x1.5

= 13.905m

Means PS4 and Xbox One cumulative install base is more than 13.905m as of March 2015.

But it's hard to work out how much more than 13.9m and what March sales can be.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Wasn't MLB released on the 31st? That's a good number for only 1 day.

I bought Bloodborne digital, and Battlefield retail. Both great games imo.

184k on two systems isn't good. Majora's Mask would have charted if the charts didn't combine all skus.

yes its on 2 systems but all indications are it heavily (like 80-20 ratio) scewed to PS4 (Amazon for instance).

I would be curious as to where the PS4 version would chart in the individual formats chart.

Bruno MB

So far we are seeing a repeat of what we've seen on Pal Charts.

Battlefield dominating the charts (that was to be expected), Bloodborne in second place with a strong opening, probably on par with Dark Souls 2 or slightly better though it had less days of tracking (hopefully someone will provide the real number), Mario Party 10 over-performing and really bad Final Fantasy Type-0 HD sales. The physical version of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 didn't do any better, it couldn't chart despite being released on 4 different platforms, and it's not that it needed to sell a big amount.

Toki767

It's a FF game that never made it outside Japan before, on systems starve for RPGs, with the first playable demo of the next mainline, next-gen FF.

The franchise name alone should have carried it higher. And it's a sign of the decline of that franchise in the West that it didn't.

The franchise name got it to chart. Everything else related to the actual package itself ($60, PSP remaster, etc...) didn't help at all.

The PS4 was not lacking for games or anything in March and the Xbox One is not really a JRPG console.

In the end people just thought there were better options out there.

Is it just me, or did the % go down compared to past month? Like, 10% or so?

NPD April 2014 said:
-"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.

NPD June 2014 said:
“Combined sales of Xbox One and PS4 are over 80 percent higher than the combined totals for Xbox 360 and PS3 – an indication of the strength of the start of this new console generation,” said Callahan.

NPD July 2014 said:
When combining life-to-date sales of Xbox One and PS4 after nine months, and comparing them to the combined totals of nine months of sales for Xbox 360 and PS3, sales of the newest consoles are larger than the prior generation by close to 80 percent,” said Callahan

NPD August 2014 said:
-“When lining up sales of PS4 and Xbox One after ten months on the market,” said Callahan. “The combined PS4 and Xbox One hardware sales are greater by over 70 percent compared to their predecessors.”

= NPD October 2014 said:
-"The NPD Group also confirmed that the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U hardware made up 80 percent of the money spent on game-related products in October."

NPD November 2014 said:
-"Cumulative PS4 & Xbox One sales are now almost 80 percent higher than the combined total of PS3 and Xbox 360 sales after 13 months..." - NPD

NPD December 2014 said:
-After 14 months on the market, cumulative sales of PS4 and Xbox One exceed the Xbox 360 and PS3 cumulative 14 month total by 65 percent.

NPD March 2015 said:
"the Xbox One and PS4, whose combined cumulative hardware sales are over 50 percent higher than the combined seventeen-month cumulative sales totals for the Xbox 360 and PS3.”"

Lowest yet it seems. Difference between XB1 and 360 must be very minimal at this point (~1M or less)

I'm not denying that it's always been good, but...I need to remind you that it's the Wii U we're talking about. The console was having mid-to-major problems in selling Nintendo games as well, up to the first half of 2014. Then, after Mario Kart 8 released, sales for Nintendo games got better across the board (aside from Bayonetta 2 ;_; even if it was the sequel of a title that went over 350,000 units in US with a major contribution from deep price cuts and it was having some sort of legs, up to January...). Mario Party 10 continues the trend.

the sales of Mario and Zelda games and related spinoffs got better

the sales of everything else went nowhere

NateDrake

Nah I meant with it wasn't as bad as 4th vs 10th implied. Also I think FF PS4 probably would have charted as well if the splits elsewhere have shown us anything, It's XBO that is probably dreadful dreadful numbers.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, FF PS4 definitely performed the strongest. I'd be stunned if the X1 version moved more than 20k, honestly.

Welfare

Sorry, let me clarify.
Means PS4 and Xbox One cumulative install base is more than 13.905m as of March 2015.

But it's hard to work out how much more than 13.9m and what March sales can be.
I had thought that as well, but wasn't really sure. Thanks.

I have a feeling that a lot of PS4's user base are switching to digital only. I know for sure that I am one of these and seeing continual PS4 games coming second in the charts to the XB1 while being the best selling makes it seem it that way.

Toki767

Wow, MLB actually charted? That's huge. And my boy BB is well deserved of that #2 spot.

MLB charts every year. It's the only baseball game in town.

I have a feeling that a lot of PS4's user base are switching to digital only. I know for sure that I am one of these and seeing continual PS4 games coming second in the charts to the XB1 while being the best selling makes it seem it that way.

Yeah, if I recall, Bloodborne sold higher than Hardline on PSN.

Type-0 bomba.

Battlefield Hardline XOne > PS4... Xbox fans really love a shooter.

I feel like there's something wrong with this.

PS4 consistently had higher user numbers after Xbone enjoyed its few days of EA Access numbers. Almost consistently over 10k more users.

I guess it's more Europe's contributions? But that doesn't make sense when it's American timezones.

I do. Outside of Japan.
It's a FF game that never made it outside Japan before, on systems starve for RPGs, with the first playable demo of the next mainline, next-gen FF.

The franchise name alone should have carried it higher. And it's a sign of the decline of that franchise in the West that it didn't.
I don't think the fact that it wasn't released outside of Japan before matters. And I never expected the FFXV demo to matter much, especially considering the price Type-0 HD sold at. I just never expected much from the game in terms of sales. It's whatever though.

allan-bh

Why PS4 owners are making that move and Xbox One owners not?

Overall:

Retail sales are down 6% year over year.

Software:

1.) Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 360, PS3, PC)
2.) Bloodborne (PS4)
3.) Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
4.) Mario Party 10 (Wii U)
5.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6.) MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
7.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
9.) Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
10.) Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD (PS4, Xbox One)

Notes:
-Mario Party 9: 290,000 (Digital + Physical)
-Majora's Mask: 184,000 (D+P, 730K LTD)
-Smash 3DS: 110,000 (D+P, 2.4M LTD)
-Smash Wii U LTD: 1.6 million
-Mario Kart 8 LTD: 1.9 million
-PS4 was number one in software sales.

Hardware:

PS4: #1 platform
3DS: ~260-270K
Wii U: ~80-85K

Notes:
-Wii U hardware is up approximately 20% year over year for the first three months of the year.
-3DS hardware is up approximately 80% year over year for the first three months of the year.

Other Information:

Nintendo PR:

Microsoft Comment:

Sony Comment:
wow, bloodborne at #2, pretty dope

Patapwn

As someone who isn't even enjoying Bloodborne, it's sad that Hardline won out really. Obviously it has a sufficient market to attract people, but it's unfortunate to see a game that is, in basically every way, inferior to its predecessor get rewarded at the tills.

Shootbang is a time honored tradition. Never underestimate

I think its sales will be determined by where it comes out in the generational cycle. Earlier in the generation = more sales, later means less.

I do think it'll do better than XIII in the end, because just looking at the media and what we've seen for it, I have a better feeling about the final product.

I agree with the timing point. The later it comes out the more it will be compared to what else is out. Coming out after the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 will make what might have been an innovative direction for the series in 2013 look derivative and technologically dated in 2016.

Another problem I suspect is going to be the character designs. Since Square is clearly aiming for a Western audience, I think the all-male cast + emo-anime-esque character designs are going to be off-putting. It is something one would have expected about 12 years ago when Kingdom Hearts came out, but I can't think of a major WRPG franchise, or really any non-niche Japanese ones that have gone with that recently. And while I don't think it will be an issue with JRPG fans, Square has done a lot to alienate them, and they are clearly too niche a market to make XV. I wonder if Square would have done better to go back to Final Fantasy XII's designs and style which I think in hindsight were ahead of their time by 5-6 years. I suspect XIIHD might well have gone over better in 2015 than Type-0 as well.

Top Bottom