• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Linkup

The Experiment said:
Given the strong sales of properties like Gold's Gym Cardio, Boom Blox, and EA Active, I think third parties know exactly what sells on the Wii.

Nintendo scraps?

ok maybe not Boom Blox

EDarkness

Neo C. said:
The key word (which you haven't mentioned yet) is the budget of the production. Even Capcom could be satisfied with 100k as long as there is a profit, while even small developers can be dissappointed when they get a loss as the result (though in this case, the publisher is rather taking the hit).
I think Mad World wasn't a cheap development. It certainly isn't an AAA production, but the game is solid quality and Sega has spent some money on ads.

None of us know what the budget was for that game or how many copies were sold to retailers (that's really the important point). It's very possible that 100k copies sold is enough to turn a profit. Maybe not some astronomical profit, but still a profit. And even in that case, it really comes down to the publisher/developer and what their expectations were (losing money or not). If they figured they'd end up losing money, but only wanted to lose X amount, then that could be a success depending on how close they got to X number.

Linkup

pakkit said:
EA Active is a better piece of software then Nintendo's try at the market.

The second guy often does come along with a better product, but nintendo did pull off a wildly successful fitness game on wii when no one really knew if they could and they're are about to clean up those scrap these guys are fighting over this holiday season. Anyway, in contrast not a single third party has gotten anywhere near something like wii fit in terms of success, but then again nothing on the hd twins have either so i'll give them a little break. Also if we want to speak in relative terms EA Active is an utter failure in comparison and in my view is only going after a market they know exist. Nintendo takes the risks and gains the rewards, third parties eat scraps regardless if they have a "better" product.

Turrican3

Is there any (apparent) Wii shortage in the USA?

I ask because I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo's strategy for Resort could consist in replacing the original Wii Sports in console bundles to help boosting HW sales, and selling it stand-alone too (to previous owners). Of course if things go this way, I would expect them to introduce a stand-alone Wii Sports, maybe at budget price (30$ ?).

If there's a shortage going on (I don't know guys, I'm from Europe, it's just a guess) there's a chance the company is slowly reducing the flood of Wii HW on the market, preparing to switch for the new bundle solution in July.

My 2 cents.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Turrican3 said:
I ask because I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo's strategy for Resort could consist in replacing the original Wii Sports in console bundles to help boosting HW sales, and selling it stand-alone too (to previous owners). Of course if things go this way, I would expect them to introduce a stand-alone Wii Sports, maybe at budget price (30$ ?

I'm still a bit surprised that Wii Sports Resort doesn't seem to contain all the Wii Sports games, in some form...

Eteric Rice

Turrican3 said:
Is there any (apparent) Wii shortage in the USA?

I ask because I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo's strategy for Resort could consist in replacing the original Wii Sports in console bundles to help boosting HW sales, and selling it stand-alone too (to previous owners). Of course if things go this way, I would expect them to introduce a stand-alone Wii Sports, maybe at budget price (30$ ?).

If there's a shortage going on (I don't know guys, I'm from Europe, it's just a guess) there's a chance the company is slowly reducing the flood of Wii HW on the market, preparing to switch for the new bundle solution in July.

My 2 cents.

I saw two Wiis at my local Wal-Mart, so it seems alright.

Talamius

Re: Balance Board vs PS3

Considering the PS3 is in the worst part of the year, I think the BB will pass it, at least temporarily. Whether it can build enough of a lead to stay ahead permanently depends on how well Wii Fit+ does.

Scrubking

EDarkness said:
None of us know what the budget was for that game or how many copies were sold to retailers (that's really the important point). It's very possible that 100k copies sold is enough to turn a profit. Maybe not some astronomical profit, but still a profit. And even in that case, it really comes down to the publisher/developer and what their expectations were (losing money or not). If they figured they'd end up losing money, but only wanted to lose X amount, then that could be a success depending on how close they got to X number.

Exactly!

jvm said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24040

Bionic Commando = 27K
Terminator Salvation = 43K
Boom Blox Party = 23K

Poor Boom Blox selling just 1/3 as much as the first game out of the gate. It's a better game, but it came off like it was what the first game should have been with just more of the same. And it sold accordingly, despite having much more content and free DLC at your fingertips.

Dre said:
Wow Bionic Commando sold even worse than Terminator, which is most certainly the worst game I have played this gen.

More people are going to lose their jobs in the gaming industry. ;-(

GRIN already significantly cut their headcount, though that's not atypical coming off three big projects that launched within a month of each other.

Refer to my post a page or two back. Sega/Platinum is looking at roughly $10 million in revenue for Madworld (there's no way they shipped 500k units already, Anihawk), which most likely doesn't cover development and marketing (remember, they had a national TV advertising campaign that lasted for a few weeks in addition to print/online/etc.) for a title of this scope.

donny2112

Talamius said:
Whether it can build enough of a lead to stay ahead permanently depends on how well Wii Fit+ does.

When Wii Fit+ goes on sale, I'll probably take the balance board off, since we'd no longer be able to tell exactly how many boards are out there (assuming that Wii Fit stays in the Top 10 until then). Right now, it's easy since only one game comes with the board, and all of the sales of that one game include the board.

Talamius

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is the Balance Board in a better time of year?

There is no such thing as a bad time of the year for the BB apparently. Just slower months.

It's apples vs oranges obviously, just a fun little sidenote. Much like the GBA/PS3 "wars".

Talamius

donny2112 said:
When Wii Fit+ goes on sale, I'll probably take the balance board off, since we'd no longer be able to tell exactly how many boards are out there (assuming that Wii Fit stays in the Top 10 until then). Right now, it's easy since only one game comes with the board, and all of the sales of that one game include the board.

I think it'll be interesting to see whether or not Nintendo pulls the plug on the original entirely. I can't see them leaving a cheaper Fit on the market and cannibalizing Fit+.

EDarkness said:
100k is pretty good depending on what the publisher wants to sell. If my game sold 100k, I'd be dancing in the streets. Granted, maybe for some company like Capcom 100k isn't that much, but for a small developer like Platinum who don't have a company reputation yet, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

I mean, yes, obviously we can't know exactly how much the publisher was looking for here, but we can estimate based on other games in the past, the developer's history, the apparent production values of the title, the number of people who worked on it, etc.

MadWorld is a pretty significant production, with a large amount of voice acting by "real" talent and so on. And we know from history that previous Clover productions like Okami were failures with worldwide sales figures of like 600-700k. Unlike NMH, I doubt very much that less than 100k sold in each of two territories is remotely sufficient for MW.

donny2112 said:

Why don't you put the guitars, drums, mics, dance pads, and all other accessories on there while you're at it? It just seems like a way to poke fun at the PS3.

Eteric Rice

You have to also consider that MadWorld was like 6 hours long, though. Also, it's art style probably allowed them to not have to push polys and do a lot of crazy texture work.

Still sucks that it bombed, though. I thought it would do better than it did.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dammitmattt said:
Why don't you put the guitars, drums, mics, dance pads, and all other accessories on there while you're at it? It just seems like a way to poke fun at the PS3.

Because no developer has attempted to develop a game with guitars, drums, mics, or dance pads that did anything other that play guitar, play drums, sing, or hop.

Nintendo originally claimed that the balance board could be a platform for different types of games and while I'd say it hasn't been entirely successful, there have been some--RR3, Shaun White, Skate It, We Ski, Punch-Out!!, and several minigame compilations.

In terms of the guitars, I think the closest was the guitar playing minigame in Dishwasher, support in Boom Boom Rocket, uh... and I think there was a rumour about Brutal Legend that didn't pan out.

Stumpokapow said:
Because no developer has attempted to develop a game with guitars, drums, mics, or dance pads that did anything other that play guitar, play drums, sing, or hop.

Nintendo originally claimed that the balance board could be a platform for different types of games and while I'd say it hasn't been entirely successful, there have been some--RR3, Shaun White, Skate It, We Ski, Punch-Out!!, and several minigame compilations.

In terms of the guitars, I think the closest was the guitar playing minigame in Dishwasher, support in Boom Boom Rocket, uh... and I think there was a rumour about Brutal Legend that didn't pan out.

But it was never required in most of those games, so it's still only kind of sort of a platform. And if you want to go with developer claims, what about the Rock Band "platform?" :)

And there are still more games that you can play your guitar with than your balance board, if my math is correct.

dammitmattt said:

I would actually want him to do this if it were logistically possible. The big issue is that there's exactly one installed base for the Balance Board (monthly Wii Fit sales) whereas there are like eight different games on three current platforms with guitars and drums, some of which are semi-incompatible with one another.

RBH

Top 10 for each system

top10wii2.jpg

top10360.jpg

top10ps3.jpg

top10ds.jpg

top10psp.jpg

top10ps22.jpg

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24043

jvm

Gamasutra.
charlequin said:
I would actually want him to do this if it were logistically possible. The big issue is that there's exactly one installed base for the Balance Board (monthly Wii Fit sales) whereas there are like eight different games on three current platforms with guitars and drums, some of which are semi-incompatible with one another.
I believe NPD policy might forbid accessory totals for anything. The publisher might be able to do that on their own, but there are several different companies making guitars, right?

Flyguy

Nice to see that Sacred 2 didn't completely bomb on consoles. I haven't read the whole thread, do we know how many units it sold yet?

donny2112

dammitmattt said:
Why don't you put the guitars, drums, mics, dance pads, and all other accessories on there while you're at it?

The Balance Board can and does have various games made that can use it either for the whole game (e.g. We Ski) or for part of the game (e.g. Tetris Party). Nintendo even mentioned a Balance Board-compatible development surge at E3. While these other hardware accessories can do the same, 1) most of are specific to a certain line of games and aren't used otherwise, and 2) we don't get numbers for them.

dammitmattt said:
It just seems like a way to poke fun at the PS3.

Would it have been interesting to know from last generation if the EyeToy had outsold the GameCube? Personally, the answer would've been "Yes." I can't say I would've been ecstatic about the idea, but it still would've still been an interesting market development.

ksamedi

charlequin said:
I mean, yes, obviously we can't know exactly how much the publisher was looking for here, but we can estimate based on other games in the past, the developer's history, the apparent production values of the title, the number of people who worked on it, etc.

MadWorld is a pretty significant production, with a large amount of voice acting by "real" talent and so on. And we know from history that previous Clover productions like Okami were failures with worldwide sales figures of like 600-700k. Unlike NMH, I doubt very much that less than 100k sold in each of two territories is remotely sufficient for MW.

Other than the voice acting, Madworld is a pretty low budget production. Easily compareble to No More Heroes which had a lot of voice work as well. Even a full song and video. Thats not saying that 100K is enough of course. I'm sure even if it did profit, it would be so little that Sega would consider it a waste of their time and investment money.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
How can Patapon 2 be in the PSP Top Ten?

The Gamasutra article says that vouchers were sold in stores, so that's probably the voucher total. Also from jvm in the other Gamasutra thread, PSP X-Men was #8 on the handheld Top 10 listing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Spiegel said:
How can Patapon 2 be in the PSP Top Ten?

Other Download-only games like GTA:Lost and Damned weren't counted by NPD
Since I'm not an Xbox 360 owner I can't speak to this personally, but I was told at some point that the cards for GTA:TLATD were actually just points cards that could be used toward the purchase of the game, but could actually be used for anything.

The voucher for Patapon 2 could not be used for anything except downloading that one game.

Others who have a better connection to what's done with Xbox 360 accessories could elaborate on this, perhaps. I could be completely wrong.

jvm said:
Since I'm not an Xbox 360 owner I can't speak to this personally, but I was told at some point that the cards for GTA:TLATD were actually just points cards that could be used toward the purchase of the game, but could actually be used for anything.

The voucher for Patapon 2 could not be used for anything except downloading that one game.

Others who have a better connection to what's done with Xbox 360 accessories could elaborate on this, perhaps. I could be completely wrong.

360 cards can work both ways (they can add general points, or lock you in to specific content), so I can't imagine Rockstar letting this do anything but activate The Lost and Damned content.

However, I bought it over XBLM so I don't know for sure.

jvm said:
I believe NPD policy might forbid accessory totals for anything. The publisher might be able to do that on their own, but there are several different companies making guitars, right?

Yes, although I doubt the knockoff ones are particularly relevant since I doubt anyone owns only an off-brand guitar.

(Although come to think of it, the "need" to own two guitars even further increases the uncertainty, since you can't tell two purchases in the same household from two different people purchasing a single guitar....)

andthebeatgoeson

Vinci said:
Wii owners are like women with abusive boyfriends.
It was really my fault...I shouldn't have bought a 360.

Neo C. said:
Hey, I don't like describing Wii owners as pitiful victims, they are at fault too. There are more than enough good third party Wii games, though some of them bomb because Wii gamers don't care about solid third party games. They rather love to complain about the lacking AAA software support, don't they?
As the Roots sampled on the intro to their best album: 'Bullshit. It's total bullshit. The people don't come because you grandiose motherfuckers don't play shit that they like. If you played the shit that they liked, then the people would come.'

It's as simple as that. Wii owners aren't at fault because they don't buy a 3rd person shooter in black and white or a puzzle game named bloom box when all evidence points to high production values, FPS and pretty graphics. Nintendo's stats suggest high production values, fun with motion and games we are used too. Wii owners are not at fault when Konami has already proven people want the same RE gameplay with pointer controls. RE5 Wii would easily outsell Madworld and The Conduit w/o sacrificing gameplay. They just want to take the cheap route by giving us a on rails shooter. Prediction: it will sell less than Umbrella Chronicles because the userbase won't fall for it by name again. Way to mess up the RE name on the market leader....uh, let's try a new one: Taito.

JoJo13

Banned
top10ps3.jpg

Man, it really sucks that Killzone 2 hasn't had very good legs. The game has done well for a Sony first party title, but it should have done a lot better. It's easily one of the best, if not the best, console FPS and it has the best graphics of any console game to boot. That's generally a recipe for insanely good sales, but as it currently stands KZ2 has merely done okay.

Gotta chalk this up to a failure on Sony's marketing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Linkup said:
Okami sold 600-700k worldwide? News to me.

Known US + Japan numbers put it around 475-500k and I don't think it's Looney Tunes to assume that it did around the same in Europe as it did in the other territories.

Mindlog

JoJo13 said:
Man, it really sucks that Killzone 2 hasn't had very good legs. The game has done well for a Sony first party title, but it should have done a lot better. It's easily one of the best, if not the best, console FPS and it has the best graphics of any console game to boot. That's generally a recipe for insanely good sales, but as it currently stands KZ2 has merely done okay.

Gotta chalk this up to a failure on Sony's marketing.

:lol

Some interesting stuff JVM.

Donny RE:BB Launch-aligned, it's ahead of the Wii.

woah, didn't see that one coming

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Stumpokapow said:
Known US + Japan numbers put it around 475-500k and I don't think it's Looney Tunes to assume that it did around the same in Europe as it did in the other territories.
is that for the Wii version, the PS2 version, or both combined?

Johann

Kifimbo said:
So, GTA: CW gone. :(

At least it was great.

According to Majesco's Twitter (which is legit IIRC), Gardening Mama's April sales were within striking distance of GTA:CTW's April Sales.

Mama wanted me to share with you that for the month of April, Gardening Mama was just shy of Chinatown Wars in sales! You go girl!!!

I suppose that's the best and most horrifying aspect of the DS. The leveling field is essentially leveled. You can't really just waltz in with your bread and butter franchise and top the charts. A publisher that took the initiative and built a reputation during the DS's early life is reaping the rewards of their effort. It's no surprise that Majesco had such a reversal of fortune with the DS.

It also appears to have better legs.

No, no... that's not quite leggy enough.

Ah! That's the ticket. Mama raised no fool!

gtj1092

Stoney Mason said:
lol at COD 4 outselling Killzone 2 on the PS3.

What happen to your crusade against fanboys?

Understandable NPD has a way of causing people to break character

dammitmattt said:

It is. I believe the phrase is "reveling in their victory" :/

gtj1092 said:
What happen to your crusade against fanboys?

Understandable NPD has a way of causing people to break character

In an NPD thread pointing, out that a two year old title is outselling one of the most heralded PS 3 games is perfectly in line imo. Especially when I've never trash talked Killzone 2 as a game in when it comes to actual quality. Only on its sales power and the relative behavior of Killzone 2 fans on this board.

Mrbob

jvm said:

Can you get total numbers for MLB the Show and MLB2K9.

Would be interested to see how 2Ks multi platform effort is working.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Other than the voice acting, Madworld is a pretty low budget production. Easily compareble to No More Heroes which had a lot of voice work as well. Even a full song and video. Thats not saying that 100K is enough of course. I'm sure even if it did profit, it would be so little that Sega would consider it a waste of their time and investment money.

Its also had a decent ad campaign unlike NMH. Face it, MW certainly cost more to make.

Top Bottom