• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

PS3 was far more expensive at this same time and still sold more than the PS4 just did right?

The equivalent month for PS3 is May 2008.

In May 2008 the cheapest PS3 was the 40 GB model priced at $399.

So the PS3 and PS4 are exactly the same price at this point in time, except that in May 2008 the PS3 sold 208.7K.

Just fine is PS4/X11 sales compared to their precursors. Period. The market leader selling 600k was an aberration. A phenomenon. Wii sales eventually fell off a cliff steeper than you can imagine.

In the end it just barely caught up to the PS1 total sales. That puts it in perspective how fast it climbed and then fell, to the point that the X360 is now the best selling home console in North America.

sörine

Banned
Just fine is PS4/X11 sales compared to their precursors. Period. The market leader selling 600k was an aberration. A phenomenon. Wii sales eventually fell off a cliff steeper than you can imagine.
Eventually being a full console cycle. Even in it's 5th equivalent year (May 2011) Wii still sold 236k, more than any console today. And that was considered terrible and after the system was seen as abandoned.

sörine;167460671 said:
Just fine is selling a third gen on gen? Okay.

Nope, consoles were doing fine then since the market leader was doing 600k. What's the market leader doing now?

LOL such a strawman.....the wii was a phenominom, if not doing wii numbers = bad then every console on the planet has done bad...ps1 and ps2 outsold the wii, and they never came close to 600k this time of year what does that tell you?

PS4 is near double where ps3 was at this point......and the market leader in the US last gen had many months 150k...it came close to 50 mill in the US, is that bad?

You are cherry picking data and trying to spin it as dire.

PS4 is ahead of every console not named ps2 and wii.....where were you in March when PS4 did big numbers?

ps3 wasn't $400 until september 2008. it was $500 in may 2008.

HjoIaVd.png

You're forgetting about the 40 GB model.

RexNovis

Banned
So what're the 3DS numbers looking like this time? I went low expecting a fairly pronounced drop from last month. Curious if I'm way off or not. So far I'm sitting at 23k units off with the wrong order.

I'm still placing my bets on October. Price drop to $299 and a UC NDC bundle for $349 could move a lot of units.

Yeah I think if they want to continue the momentum they need to go down this holiday. $299 would attract a ton of people. I know some people are thinking $350 but I'm not convinced only a $50 drop would have a huge long term impact. For sure a boost for a couple months, but not the sustained kind of momentum we saw from the PS4 in 2014

sörine;167461747 said:
Eventually being a full console cycle. Even in it's 5th equivalent year (May 2011) Wii still sold 236k, more than any console today. And that was considered terrible and after the system was seen as abandoned.

You have no argument if the wii is your barometer..the ps4 will outsell the wii longterm as it wont fall off a cliff.. The ps4 is doing more then fine, only being topped by the PS2 for sony consoles, and ps2 was a monster.

damisa

Trust me, in June, if the PS4 does 350K or above, those posters will pretend as if the poor sales in May never happened. The main thing is the PS4 needs a killer price cut to increase momentum. It's still doing well at $399, which was the launch price. Imagine $299.

PS3 sold 406K in it's second June.

Does anyone really know how many Xbones have been sold? I am seeing some random ass numbers and I don't know where this info is coming from.

They come from cryptic pie charts from Creamsugar, which represent the same three figures every month.

Creamsugar has full access to NPD data, so we extrapolate estimated hardware sales from them.

Bruno MB

DS2RB < 23k

LTD

[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - 61,000
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - 36,000
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - 33,000
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 30,000
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 28,000

Vena

I wonder what Atlus thinks of this number...

They couldn't have expected it to do anything glamorous.

Its a "remaster" in a very loose sense of the word, with added voice overs and a secondary campaign. Sold at 50$, with digital sales... probably fine.

As per above, its not terrible but its not remarkable either for the series.

Kolx

To be real though, a $299 PS4 in the US would fucking explode. I wonder how long Sony will hold out.

The question should be is Sony willing or have the capability to sell the PS4 at 299$? 299$ is very low and will probably cause a loss for each hardware unit sold which Sony might not be willing to take even if it means more software and PS+ purchases.

LOL such a strawman.....the wii was a phenominom, if not doing wii numbers = bad then every console on the planet has done bad...ps1 and ps2 outsold the wii, and they never came close to 600k this time of year what does that tell you?

PS4 is near double where ps3 was at this point......and the market leader in the US last gen had many months 150k...it came close to 50 mill in the US, is that bad?

PS4 is ahead of every console not named ps2 and wii.....where were you in March when PS4 did big numbers?

You also need to remember to assess the PS4's performance against itself when you want to look at trends. Looking at previous gens is helpful and cool as well, but to asses its own current performance keep it mind to compare it to itself.

They come from cryptic pie charts from Creamsugar, which represent the same three figures every month.

Creamsugar has full access to NPD data, so we extrapolate estimated hardware sales from them.

Cause I saw someone say that the Xbone has sold 9 million even though MS announced last November that they have sold 10 million+ ....

AniHawk

You have no argument if the wii is your barometer..the ps4 will outsell the wii longterm as it wont fall off a cliff.. The ps4 is doing more then fine, only being topped by the PS2 for sony consoles, and ps2 was a monster.

i think the ps4 will need to be on the market a very long time if it's going to reach 45 million units in the us.

sörine

Banned

I'm the one cherrypicking but every market leader "doesn't count" because reasons and 3rd place last gen is what we should really be comparing to? Right.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

PS4 followed quite a similar sales curve as Wii since launch and it's slowing down significantly now, so I don't know how valid is this hypothesis.

Cause I saw someone say that the Xbone has sold 9 million even though MS announced last November that they have sold 10 million+ ....

That's odd, because it would assume less than 2 million consoles were sold outside of the USA thus far. While the Xbox is relatively weak outside the USA, it isn't that pitiful.

sörine;167462395 said:
I'm the one cherrypicking but every market leader "doesn't count" because reasons and 3rd place last gen is what we should really be comparing to? Right.

Comparing anything to the wii to try and make it look bad is silly, the wii for years was record breaking. Being below the wii does not equal bad that is asinine logic. Ps2 never did that is that bad? Oh wait it ended up over 150 mill.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 followed quite a similar sales curve as Wii since launch and it's slowing down significantly now, so I don't know how valid is this hypothesis.
It is true but I believe PS4 will do better than Wii in later years... Wii dead was really early for a console.

The question should be is Sony willing or have the capability to sell the PS4 at 299$? 299$ is very low and will probably cause a loss for each hardware unit sold which Sony might not be willing to take even if it means more software and PS+ purchases.

It's a good question, and one I for sure don't have answer to. I'm sure the debate internally over a price drop on it is pretty complex. On one hand the system is still doing solid numbers and winning basically every month but 3 in the US and pretty much every single month worldwide.

At the same time though, the pace is slowing down. I'm sure its not an easy choice for them when to cut price and by how much.

mo60

i think the ps4 will need to be on the market a very long time if it's going to reach 45 million units in the us.

I thought the Wii sold around 42 million and not 45 million last gen.I don't think the ps4 is going to break 40 million by the end of the gen like the 360 and Wii

Yeah have to be crazy to think ps4 will fall off a cliff like the wii did, and no its trajectory is nothing alike, as wii was massive for 3-4 years then died...ps4 wont die like wii did. Wii was on pace to beat ps2...for years, then collapsed. The wii was something totally different then any regular console sales curve.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah I think if they want to continue the momentum they need to go down this holiday. $299 would attract a ton of people. I know some people are thinking $350 but I'm not convinced only a $50 drop would have a huge long term impact. For sure a boost for a couple months, but not the sustained kind of momentum we saw from the PS4 in 2014
Exactly this. I've been saying for months that a $50 price cut will not do much.

PS3 sold 406K in it's second June.
You just love to compare months, don't you? FYI, 350K is the minimum I think it would sell. Even 450K is possible but right now it's too early to tell.

sörine

Banned
Ahhhh, the frontloaded launches of the PS4 + X1 vs. the supply constrained 360 and horrifically overpriced PS3 can only be spun against the hand of doom for so long.

Just like the "3DS is ahead of the DS!!!1" crowd had to eventually accept that systems fate, so too shall the PS4+X1 are doing fine proponents gain acceptance in time.

For shits and giggles someone should add in complete MoM sales into the equation (last-gen included). This transition is even more pathetic than just the headline sales.
This is right on the money. 3DS hurt but at a certain point you just can't ignore context. There's much pain in store for PS4 and XOne.

sörine;167462695 said:
This is right on the money. 3DS hurt but at a certain point you just can't ignore context. There's much pain in store for PS4 and XOne.

He was not agreeing with you and LOL at the bolded. Where were you in march?

Top Bottom