• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

semiconscious

Gold Member
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but every major holiday release outside of Pokemon and Watchdogs 2 was on sale for $30 or under this BF. We saw aggressive sales of COD, BF1, Titanfall 2, Skyrim, Dishonored 2 and many, many other top titles. Some excellent digital sales as well. This was not been the case previous years and IMO it is a trend worth watching. Heck I even bought FFXV on X1 (yes I know inferior version graphically) for $30 from Newegg. You can't beat that as a consumer but this has to be somewhat concerning for major AAA publishers...

this says it all, imo. come holiday time, if you can just wait a few weeks / couple months, you know, at this point, you'll be getting the game for 1/2-1/3 the price. this gotta have a huge impact on release sales...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have sworn all off Ubivendi games so I bought watch dogs 1 but not 2. Stop buying Ubivendi games. It leads to happiness. Increasingly more people are realizing this!

Isn't this comparison more like the 2016 top 2.5 versus the 2015 top 3?

Great questions! Okay, let's start here. Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that Pokemon should be combined for the comp? If so, I'd disagree. They are separate games. But let's keep going...

Seems like an odd delineation to make and claim only the top 3 really did terrible and the rest of the market was up.

But that's what the data is saying, and the delineation is made only because that's what the data is presenting. I'm not making this stuff up. There's a very obvious and significant break between how the top 3 games this year performed when compared to how the top 3 games last year performed. Each of the top 3 this year performed significantly worse.

On the other hand, the #4 game this year sold a bit more than the #4 game did last year, as did all but one other game in the top 10.

And if we're voicing concerns about the AAA console market

I wouldn't say I was concerned, but let's keep going...

shouldn't Pokémon and 3DS sw sort of be set aside entirely?

I don't think so. Pokemon and 3DS games are competing for the same dollars people might spend elsewhere in gaming and entertainment.

Was the PS4+One sw market outside the top 3 up?

Just about flat.

I'm almost giddy to see TF2 on this list.

I really enjoyed the campaign, would love to see TF2 be a slow burn and just keep on selling.

And doom is so good! I really love how simple the game is.

If only there was more SP content on the way... but yeah that's a game I'll go back to probably every year for a run through.

matmanx1

Sad everything being down when the userbase is close to 10m bigger than last year.

More consumers = less software sold.

Novber this year was terrible.

I buy a lot of games but just wasn't interested in ANY of the November offerings outside of FFXV and I have yet to pick that up because I'm still playing games that came out earlier in the year (looking at you, Overwatch).

I did pick up TF2 but have yet to take the shrinkwrap off of it. Got it for $30 from Best Buy for the PC and will probably crack it open over the Holidays.

As a busy adult I find myself increasingly going to games I can play a little bit at a time over a longer period of time. Blizzard games are great for this and lately I've picked up the Diablo 3 Battlechest for PC and spent some money on stuff in Heroes of the Storm.

At this point my next major spend will be in January with several of the games that drop towards the latter part of the month. In all likelihood, at least one of those games will sit on my shelf, still in the shrinkwrap, for at least a couple of months. This is the life of a busy adult gamer.

Norse

I'm really glad to see others chiming in on the needless complexity of controls for todays games. It's the number one reason why I don't buy near as many games as I used to.

As far as SP games go, I feel that's Sony and MS job to produce these. These are the exclusives we want Imo. SP games are responsible for a console's mascots per say. When you think PS or Xbox, don't you think of single player characters first?

Norse

I fail at math every time, but how did you come up with 700k for PS4?Did I miss some other data in the thread?

In another thread for npd we have November hardware numbers for ps4/pro and Xbox one.

1.1m ps4/pro
1.0m xbone

That's where the 2.1m came from.

I know it doesn't explain sales but I didn't like mankind divided or dishonored 2. Clearly I am the barometer.

People need to stop making their games so goddamn annoying. Playability is down across the board this gen for me. Mechanics seem needlessly complex.
I guess stealth-action games don't appeal to you anymore. And thats fine the way I see it. Games like Dishonored or Deus Ex aren't meant for everyone.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but every major holiday release outside of Pokemon and Watchdogs 2 was on sale for $30 or under this BF. We saw aggressive sales of COD, BF1, Titanfall 2, Skyrim, Dishonored 2 and many, many other top titles. Some excellent digital sales as well. This was not been the case previous years and IMO it is a trend worth watching. Heck I even bought FFXV on X1 (yes I know inferior version graphically) for $30 from Newegg. You can't beat that as a consumer but this has to be somewhat concerning for major AAA publishers.

Dishonored was not on Holiday sale digitally so that might have been a factor. The one that is even more concerning is the lack of Deus Ex MD on PS4 which could be had for $24 with 20%off coupon.

Publishers have trained consumers to wait for Black Friday sales for both hardware and software. It's their fault the year is so bloated toward the back end, and consumer expectations are so out of whack.

george_us

Publishers have trained consumers to wait for Black Friday sales for both hardware and software. It's their fault the year is so bloated toward the back end, and consumer expectations are so out of whack.
You add in the numerous holiday sales even after Black Friday and it just doesn't make a ton of sense to buy a lot of games full price anymore this time of year unless it's something you've been looking forward to. I skipped out on titles like Deus Ex and Dishonored 2 precisely because I knew they'd be a fraction of the price mere months down the road.

I'll just put this quote here...

“Total hardware spending in November declined 35 percent compared to year ago as growth in portable hardware sales was offset by declines in console hardware spending, particularly on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One"

Im confused. Are these numbers for an entire year or just for a time period? I have a difficult time believing Titanfall and Watch Dogs 2 are both in the top 10 of 2016

It's just November. Bit of a mix up in the thread title.

Anyone know how many units CoD and BF1 sold?

Yes.

Im confused. Are these numbers for an entire year or just for a time period? I have a difficult time believing Titanfall and Watch Dogs 2 are both in the top 10 of 2016

Based on sales they are for a marginal group of people

Maybe. But I'd hate to see them gone just because their mechanics didn't gel with a lot of people. It's annoying some people are contemptuous towards them just because of their hybrid gameplay style.

Games like Dishonored and Deus Ex are dime a dozen these days

Kill3r7

Yes and no. Yes we have been trained to expect major BF sales. The difference this year is that the top selling game in November could be had for less than $40. BF1 and TF2 less than 30 and same for just about every title not named Pokemon or Watchdogs 2. Essentially Watchdogs 2 was the only title in the top 10 to retail at a price point above $40 for the month of November (not counting GCU discounts). There are few incentives to be there Day 1 for most SP AAA games. Many gaffers took advantage of the visa checkout at BB to preorder games they like but if you can grab the same game for $30 less than a month down the road there is something inherently "wrong" or "off" about that pricing structure. Especially when you couple it with significantly lower Day 1 sales for many AAA juggernauts.

Norse

When a new game is sold for 20-30$ less on black friday, who eats it? I mean what does Walmart make on a 60$ game?

ethomaz

Banned
I fail at math every time, but how did you come up with 700k for PS4?Did I miss some other data in the thread?
It is not you but the guys doing the math.

They are using 2.1m to find 30% are U4 bundles but in fact the U4 bundle is 30% of all hardware sales that is indeed way higher than 2.1m... close to 3m to be fair but we don't have numbers yet.

When a new game is sold for 20-30$ less on black friday, who eats it?

Most often, publishers offered what are called "Back End Rebates" where an agreed to dollar amount off the wholesale price for each unit sold will be refunded to the retailer for lowering the retail price.

For example, a game that retails for $59.99 may have a wholesale price of call it $46.

The publisher wants to have the game sell for $30 on Black Friday, or a 50% off retail sale.

The retailer will put the game on sale, and tally the number of units sold. Let's call it 1,000 pieces sell at the discounted price.

The math isn't exact, but in this case the publisher would pay basically half the wholesale price (or around $23) to the retailer as a rebate for each unit sold, or around $23,000.

In a vast majority of cases, the publisher will take the hit on the discount, while retailer margin will be protected.

However, sometimes a retailer will decide to drop the price on its own for a number of reasons. In that case, the retailer would eat the discount.

Hope that helps.

Shock32

Most often, publishers offered what are called "Back End Rebates" where an agreed to dollar amount off the wholesale price for each unit sold will be refunded to the retailer for lowering the retail price.

For example, a game that retails for $59.99 may have a wholesale price of call it $46.

The publisher wants to have the game sell for $30 on Black Friday, or a 50% off retail sale.

The retailer will put the game on sale, and tally the number of units sold. Let's call it 1,000 pieces sell at the discounted price.

The math isn't exact, but in this case the publisher would pay basically half the wholesale price (or around $23) to the retailer as a rebate for each unit sold, or around $23,000.

In a vast majority of cases, the publisher will take the hit on the discount, while retailer margin will be protected.

However, sometimes a retailer will decide to drop the price on its own for a number of reasons. In that case, the retailer would eat the discount.

Hope that helps.

TIL, thanks for the insight Mat.

Ashtar

It's just November. Bit of a mix up in the thread title.
Lol a mod hijacked my thread and put a misleading title
Thanks for all the insight mr. Piscatella
Does the good performance of the 4-10 titles go all the way down to 10? Eg did the number 10 title this year sell the same as last years ?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If anything, this year has given me the idea that I am going to create a wishlist throughout 2017 of games I am interested in. Then revisit it in November/December and save a shit load of money. =P

jett

D-Member
I guess stealth-action games don't appeal to you anymore. And thats fine the way I see it. Games like Dishonored or Deus Ex aren't meant for everyone.

Personally I didn't bother with those two sequels because they looked too similar to games I had already played and finished and felt like I had no need to go back to their respective wells.

I have sworn all off Ubivendi games so I bought watch dogs 1 but not 2. Stop buying Ubivendi games. It leads to happiness. Increasingly more people are realizing this!
I dropped Ubisoft games cold turkey years ago and it's the best decision I've made in my life. I lost 50lbs, I'm happier, I'm eating healthier, I met someone. If it worked for me it can work for anyone!

Personally I didn't bother with those two sequels because they looked too similar to games I had already played and finished and felt like I had no need to go back to their respective wells.
In that case, I can't help but think maybe both sequels would gain more traction if they completely overhauled the core gameplay mechanics (Much to the chagrin of their fans).

Or maybe they didn't do good marketing after all. It's useless to speculate anyways

Lol a mod hijacked my thread and put a misleading title
Thanks for all the insight mr. Piscatella
Does the good performance of the 4-10 titles go all the way down to 10? Eg did the number 10 title this year sell the same as last years ?

Heh, just Mat, and no problem!

Almost all of the rest of the top 10 is up YoY.

It's a very weird month. Usually, when a month is down, you see down performance across all titles in terms of where those titles ranked. This month, it's just those top 3 that drove everything else down.

And of course, when the biggest ranking games are down, that generally translates into less hardware interest.

Games like COD ain't called market movers for nothing.

My hypothesis at the moment is that the core audience still bought a lot of games, and they bought a ton digitally on promotion, but that the mass market didn't find the available games as attractive as last year.

Also noodling writing a piece on how 2016 is the year that digital retailers stole one of the major traditional advantages of Q4 b&m retail regarding heavy price promotion.

Anno

In that case, I can't help but think maybe both sequels would gain more traction if they completely overhauled the core gameplay mechanics (Much to the chagrin of their fans).

Or maybe they didn't do good marketing after all. It's useless to speculate anyways

I sincerely hope they don't have to. Or Arkane doesn't, at least. Dishonored is unique enough in terms of gameplay that I think I can buy more of the "same" (it's really not at all the same) for a long time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dropped Ubisoft games cold turkey years ago and it's the best decision I've made in my life. I lost 50lbs, I'm happier, I'm eating healthier, I met someone. If it worked for me it can work for anyone!
Exactly!!!

No more b- games

Only a for me

All about context though. This year is down in hardware partially because Nov 2015 was absolutely gigantic. Still selling more than in Nov 2014. 3DS is up vs YA.

There just wasn't the content this November to push lots of HW. Gotta remember the best seller of hardware is market moving software. With the top 3 down YoY, that will have an impact on HW.

Wisdom.

The sky isn't falling, people.

Wait til we're comparing this holiday to next, when Destiny 2/RDR2/ Battlefront 2 hit.

I'm glad CoD is no longer consuming the holidays anymore at least. For so many years it basically scared almost every other game out of the same window.

MacTag

Banned
Great questions! Okay, let's start here. Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that Pokemon should be combined for the comp? If so, I'd disagree. They are separate games. But let's keep going...
Except they really aren't separate games and I'm a little curious why you'd consider them to be? They share one production cycle, one advertising campaign, one release date, one game design, one platform and the vast majority of their content, assets and and code. They're really two versions of the same game and in fact share more in common than some other titles that NPD classifies as one game based on (presumably) their title alone. Even in the YOY top 3 comparison the 360/PS3 and PS4/XBO/PC versions of MW3 feature more fundamental differences than Sun & Moon do.

Although I think the strongest argument that Pokémon Sun and Moon are one game is that their publisher says they are. Separating Pokémon releases (and other similar releases) has always been a confusing decision on NPD's part.

But that's what the data is saying, and the delineation is made only because that's what the data is presenting. I'm not making this stuff up. There's a very obvious and significant break between how the top 3 games this year performed when compared to how the top 3 games last year performed. Each of the top 3 this year performed significantly worse.

On the other hand, the #4 game this year sold a bit more than the #4 game did last year, as did all but one other game in the top 10.

I wouldn't say I was concerned, but let's keep going...

I don't think so. Pokemon and 3DS games are competing for the same dollars people might spend elsewhere in gaming and entertainment.
Well, I would agree there's actually more crossover between the 3DS and HD console audiences than most people give credit for. I'd also argue than was the case with DS/Wii and last gen's HD consoles though.

Just about flat.
That's not too bad then really and shows the issue is at the top. Perhaps long term we see a further contraction from several AAA publishers to just several AAA brands if the market continues going this way?

That said it's too bad new hardware did little to really drive home console sales. Yes software is king but I think this console cycle has the potential to be shorter than some expect and it'll be interesting to see how this might impact further hardware launches next year.

Separating Pokémon releases (and other similar releases) has always been a confusing decision on NPD's part.

Different names, different UPCs. If NIN and/or retail wanted those kinds of games rolled up together, it'd have been done by now.

Well, I would agree there's actually more crossover between the 3DS and HD console audiences than most people give credit for. I'd also argue than was the case with DS/Wii and last gen's HD consoles though.

No argument from me.

Perhaps long term we see a further contraction from several AAA publishers to just several AAA brands if the market continues going this way?

Sure hope not. We need more releases and diversity, not fewer and more homogeneous.

That said it's too bad new hardware did little to really drive home console sales. Yes software is king but I think this console cycle has the potential to be shorter than some expect and it'll be interesting to see how this might impact further hardware launches next year.

Funny you should mention it...

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but every major holiday release outside of Pokemon and Watchdogs 2 was on sale for $30 or under this BF. We saw aggressive sales of COD, BF1, Titanfall 2, Skyrim, Dishonored 2 and many, many other top titles. Some excellent digital sales as well. This was not been the case previous years and IMO it is a trend worth watching. Heck I even bought FFXV on X1 (yes I know inferior version graphically) for $30 from Newegg. You can't beat that as a consumer but this has to be somewhat concerning for major AAA publishers.

Dishonored was not on Holiday sale digitally so that might have been a factor. The one that is even more concerning is the lack of Deus Ex MD on PS4 which could be had for $24 with 20%off coupon.

You have been able to get great deals for a while now. In the past few years I have been able to get Battlefield 3 for $28, Dishonored for $25, etc. All not long after release. This is another thing that made Dishonored 2 and WD2's release date whacky to me. If you are not participating in Black Friday mayhem, you are hurting your chances at moving copies.

This why I am interested to see what happens with FFXV, TLG, and DR4. Maybe the long term anticipation factor on the first two overcome people having bought a bunch of games days earlier, but I am not so sure.

Top Bottom