• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

shinshero

DMeisterJ said:
No, I'm not saying that KZ2 sold good, I'm saying that it has had staying power in terms of players minds and not migrating to another game when a new release comes out, and that it did chart for two months, while both games that were mentioned didn't. And I do agree that it and any game that is exclusive to the PS3 would sell more on the 360, such are the things when one console has 2x the userbase of the other one.

MGS4 falls outside of an argument, as I specifically stated games that are social in nature, like multi-player focused FPSes which require the community to keep the interest in the game, and once the community moves on to something else, the game interest drops (See Army of Two, RSV, RSV2, and soon to be Borderlands). And I was comparing that to KZ2 where the community is still active despite all the releases over the last 8 months.

Just wanted to add, MGS 4 sold a million in its first month in USA. The reason why NPD only tracked 750K was because the rest came from bundles. That game was truly a system seller.

(Not to mention, it sold a million day one worldwide).

Durante

It's too bad Demon's Souls missed entering the Top 10 by a hair's-breadth. That would have been the greatest thing to happen in sales-age in years IMHO. Still, awesome sales. I hope From is working on a sequel right now.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
does anyone know what happened to Segata? You can't ban the Duke. That's absurd!
He self-banned out of disgust for that picture. We're not worthy of him :(

shinshero

Durante said:
It's too bad Demon's Souls missed entering the Top 10 by a hair's-breadth. That would have been the greatest thing to happen in sales-age in years IMHO. Still, awesome sales. I hope From is working on a sequel right now.

With these sales, the cumulative shipment should be around 450K to 500K worldwide. Then if they release it in Europe, it could maybe reach 700K worldwide. Hopefully, that would be more than enough for a sequel. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I haven't played a RPG for years and I'm not sure I would still like it.

Is this game so good it can make a non RPG fan into a believer?

Ihya

shinshero said:
With these sales, the cumulative shipment should be around 450K to 500K worldwide. Then if they release it in Europe, it could maybe reach 700K worldwide. Hopefully, that would be more than enough for a sequel. :D

I certainly hope so. I'm too much of a pussy to play it, but I recognise it satiates a demographic of gamers crying out for ultra hardcore difficulty gameplay. Games have indeed become easier year on year.

Ihya

Shaheed79 said:
Lowest October for 360 in 3 years. No matter how low MS drops the price they can't keep those sales high.

PS3 has upped its game, the 360 isn't getting the free pass against a weak opponent as it was last year or the year before. I prefer a solid 3 way battle.

shinshero

Shaheed79 said:
Lowest October for 360 in 3 years. No matter how low MS drops the price they can't keep those sales high.

Its also the effect of the recession, not just Sony eating into their pie. Hell, maybe it's also a bit of market saturation as well.

marc^o^

Shaheed79 said:
Microsoft claims 35% of their customers are women. While I don't believe that figure, I think they need to pursue such a goal to expand. This is why they need Natal. So far casuals are buying a wii. On the other side of the spectrum, Sony is making constant progress with PSN. It has finally proved the PS3 is a beast with Uncharted 2, which is also the best game on the market right now. The Lord of the rings blu-ray collection will certainly boost PS3 sales. The PS3 wand will arrive soon and is so similar to the wiimote we can easily agree it will add great moments to PS3 franchises.

So Microsoft may have a hard time to expand on the tech savy audience, they now need a much stronger focus on the casual crowd.

marc^o^

xDangerboy said:
really?..... really?
I may be wrong but I think geeks will go crazy over it. Blu-Ray technology will be talked about in newspapers more than for any other release.

Shaheed79 said:

Lets not forget that there are still around eight million more 360 owners in the US than PS3 owners. The simple fact of the matter is that the 360 is much closer to market saturation than the PS3 is.

gerg

marc^o^ said:
I may be wrong but I think geeks will go crazy over it. Blu-Ray technology will be talked about in newspapers more than for any other release.

If those geeks were technophiliacs then they've probably bought a PS3 already.

marc^o^ said:

And then people will go out and buy a standalone for half the price of a ps3, you can get a bluray player for £79 over here upto £99 for a decent sony one i dont think people will go out and get a ps3 for bluray anymore. Its a good added value if your going out to buy a console not if your going out to buy something that will play blurays.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very glad to see Uncharted 2 on top. One of my favorite games this generation and well worthy of success.

I'm curious about Dead Space as well.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Lets not forget that there are still around eight million more 360 owners in the US than PS3 owners. The simple fact of the matter is that the 360 is much closer to market saturation than the PS3 is.

hence why they are pushing towards natal and the casual market. But theres still plenty of potential regular hardcore gamers as well, just not as many as there are potential ps3 buyers.

Lords of the Rings on Blu ray?
Do we have a release window on that?
(I think it's fucking hysterical that anyone would associate its release with a boost in PS3 sales, but OMG, it could be the definitive showcase for Blu Ray and 1080p film. so excited for its release)

marc^o^ said:
The Lord of the rings blu-ray collection will certainly boost PS3 sales.
Oh man, anything to help the PS3 right? :lol

marc^o^ said:
So Microsoft may have a hard time to expand on the tech savy audience, they now need a much stronger focus on the casual crowd.
Oh yeah because the PS3 is such a hit with the casual crowd?

Jocchan said:
He self-banned out of disgust for that picture. We're not worthy of him :(
His gif was so cringe worthy it gives other gif makers a bad name. Talk about completely missing the point.

Big big sales for Uncharted 2 AND Demon's Souls warms my heart. Theyre the last two games I've bought, and theyre both my GOTYs in different ways, so its good to see them actually get financial success unlike all my previous GOTYs :lol

Now if Bayonetta can pull in some great numbers, I won't be so cynical about the industry for a bit!

marc^o^

BishopLamont said:
Oh man, anything to help the PS3 right? :lol
I take it as a fact awareness drives sales. The more people talk about blu-ray, the more consideration is driven to PS3. LOTR will be talked about more than any previous Blu-Ray release, it will reinforce the "It only does everything" campaign, which has been very effective so far. Sony pushes Blu-Ray as a reason to prefer a PS3, and LOTR will be its most effective ambassador. To what point will it boost PS3 sales? No idea, but in terms of promoting the blu-ray capability of the console, it's hard to deny it will have a positive impact.

gkryhewy

theignoramus said:
Lords of the Rings on Blu ray?
Do we have a release window on that?
(I think it's fucking hysterical that anyone would associate its release with a boost in PS3 sales, but OMG, it could be the definitive showcase for Blu Ray and 1080p film. so excited for its release)

Spring, I think. Was supposed to be this fall, but they pushed it back. But the fuckers are going to make us double dip for the extended cuts!

marc^o^ said:
I take it as a fact awareness drives sales. The more people talk about blu-ray, the more consideration is driven to PS3. LOTR will be talked about more than any previous Blu-Ray release, it will reinforce the "It only does everything" campaign, which has been very effective so far. Sony pushes Blu-Ray as a reason to prefer a PS3, and LOTR will be its most effective ambassador. To what point will it boost PS3 sales? No idea, but in terms of promoting the blu-ray capability of the console, it's hard to deny it will have a positive impact.

This is really a silly argument. You should have stuck with the rest of your post.... which itself was a bit too effusive. Sounded like a marketing post. Reading the back of your new PS3 box, are you?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Marc^o^, please, don't make me add that to the PS3 chalkboard :(
I stopped updating that long ago :p

marc^o^

BishopLamont said:
Oh yeah because the PS3 is such a hit with the casual crowd?.
If you follow my point, PS3 reached a point where its price/value seems to please the core crowd, so that Sony is now less reliant on casuals to expand.

Jocchan said:
Marc^o^, please, don't make me add that to the PS3 chalkboard :(
I stopped updating that long ago :p
It was just a thought about a big blu-ray release coming which will get noticed on the market, though it now seems like I'm making a big theory about it :D . I'm not.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Userbase #s mean next to nothing, can we stop pretending they ever have?

Of course userbase numbers and high sales are not mutually exclusive, but with a larger usebase, you have more units in your target demographic, and therefore can sell more games.

The PS3 has to start doubling or tripling the 360 monthly to have any hope this gen of catching them in the States. Microsoft refuses to bleed money this gen on the 360, and it's costing them some market share. I don't think it's enough to worry about to be honest. They may need to consider getting the elite down to $199 within 6 months though. This Christmas will be the test. It's beyond the PS3 owners that wanted a replacement Slim at that point. We will see how the numbers stand then.

Mithos

DMeisterJ said:
Of course userbase numbers and high sales are not mutually exclusive, but with a larger usebase, you have more units in your target demographic, and therefore can sell more games.

The Wii says Hi!
And with that I mean larger userbase means absolutely nothing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mithos said:
The Wii says Hi!
You do realize the Wii sells a lot of software, right?

kswiston

shinshero said:

I doubt a From Software game needs anything close to 500k shipped worldwide to be successful. Jrpgs that never leave japan often get sequels on sales of 100-150k. Final Fantasy XIII might need sales of 3-4million worldwide to turn a profit, but most jrpgs are made with modest budgets.

Shurs said:
Because the chalkboard joke has been lame for over a year at this point?
T1_1107_clausenap.jpg

Shurs

elrechazao said:
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/elrechazao/T1_1107_clausenap.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Weren't you the guy who was intimating that Demon's Souls wasn't, by all accounts, a success?

Mithos

Htown said:
You do realize the Wii sells a lot of software, right?

No, it sells a lot of shovelware and bad spinoffs made wrong, where are all the "big-budget" games that supposedly would be made for the Wii since it has the "largest userbase" previously spoken of.
That was my intent by the previous post I made.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mithos said:
No, it sells a lot of shovelware and bad spinoffs made wrong, where are all the "big-budget" games that supposedly would be made for the Wii since it has the "largest userbase" previously spoken of.
That was my intent by the previous post I made.
So you're not actually talking sales in a sales thread, you're trolling the game library. Gotcha.

markatisu

elrechazao said:
fixed that for you

No you did not, or did you miss the fact that 80%+ of software is sold outside the NPD chart we get and a larger chunk is on the Wii

Mithos said:

smh

Shurs said:
Weren't you the guy who was intimating that Demon's Souls wasn't, by all accounts, a success?

No, I was the guy wondering why it was considered "amazing sales". And the guy who read a number of subsequent posts that gave good explanations.

gkrykewy said:
This is really a silly argument. You should have stuck with the rest of your post.... which itself was a bit too effusive. Sounded like a marketing post. Reading the back of your new PS3 box, are you?
Don´t laugh at the LOTR boost PS3 sales argument. I remember some Sony representative some years ago talking about how they saw a peak in PS3 sales at a time no game was released, they found out it was correlated to the blu-ray release of some Batman(IIRC) movie .

Not that I would expect a significant boost thanks to LOTR, but probably some.

DMeisterJ

Banned
elrechazao said:
fixed that for you
elrechazao said:
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/elrechazao/T1_1107_clausenap.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Mithos]No, it sells a lot of shovelware and bad spinoffs made wrong, where are all the "big-budget" games that supposedly would be made for the Wii since it has the "largest userbase" previously spoken of.
That was my intent by the previous post I made.[/QUOTE]

smh

percephone

Neo Member
Mithos said:
The Wii says Hi!

143 millions (NPD Sept 2009) games sold in 35 months says otherwise.

Coolio McAwesome said:

I think you are right, the 360 has been slowly losing market share since the launch of the 2 others consoles, In the last 12 months, they went from 37.83% to 34.65%. The Wii grabbed most of what the 360 lost obviously but the PS3 gained a bit.

Sony market share declined last holiday season, they lost 1% (august 2008 to January 2009) from the 360 and Wii outselling by a large margin.

It'll be interesting to see if Sony can harness their price cut and new slim and make inroad in the market share area instead of declining.

gerg

spidye said:
wait gta on psp less than 10000. I am not good at sales. why so low?

Probably because the people interested in GTA are more interested in the fact that you can run around a virtual sandbox in 3D. Without that presentation people aren't attracted to the game.

Top Bottom