• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

ksamedi

Its weird that a lot of people dislike the Wii because of the poor third party lineup and irregular flow of quality games and yet they ask that the Wii sells a lot of third party software. It actually does sell a lot of software but it would have been major huge had it had big projects made for it. I think a lot of people forget how bad the Wii third party situation is.

Xeke

Banned
border said:
If Wii games must have a development and marketing budget the size of an HD game in order to be successful, then why even bother with the platform at all? I thought the point of its low specs was to contain spiraling budgets. If the Wii was meant to sell $50 million games, then it would have been built to be capable of running them.

That's not the point. There isn't even a Wii 3rd party game that matches what RE4 did on the Gamecube years ago. And if you think any of the current Wii 3rd party efforts are even as ambitious as RE4 was, years ago, then you're delusional.

There is no reason 3rd parties can't release games that look at the very least as good as RE4 and that doesn't even have to do with a marketing push.

I think a lot of people forget how bad the Wii third party situation is.

And yet people still try to compare the conduit to GoW when it comes to sales...

Rolf NB

Xeke said:
That's not the point. There isn't even a Wii 3rd party game that matches what RE4 did on the Gamecube years ago. And if you think any of the current Wii 3rd party efforts are even as ambitious as RE4 was, years ago, then you're delusional.

There is no reason 3rd parties can't release games that look at the very least as good as RE4 and that doesn't even have to do with a marketing push.
Dead Space Extraction has some serious production values. But lol spinoff, right?

Xeke said:
:lol

That is true.
And you're point is completely true.

Few core centric games on the Wii have any reason at all to be successful, and successful on the Wii generally means long drawn out sales numbers, over big monthly bursts.

The platform scares developers. But that's why I call them wussies. Man up or don't try.

And it looks like they are going to be weenies and not even try.

bcn-ron said:
Dead Space Extraction has some serious production values. But lol spinoff, right?
Yes?

And lol niche genre.

They can be freaking fuckawesome games. I loves me some lightgun shooters, but a successful genre? No. Not for a very long time.

Opiate

Xeke said:
And yet people still try to compare the conduit to GoW when it comes to sales...

The hypocrisy goes both ways. Some people will try to claim that the Wii has good lineup while simultaneously dismissing sales differentials.

That's a less common combination, but I've seen it.

Opiate said:
The hypocrisy goes both ways. Some people will try to claim that the Wii has good lineup while simultaneously dismissing sales differentials.

That's a less common combination, but I've seen it.
Yeah, because hypocrites are hypocrites.

But that's still not exact man. You can think a game is great and still it bombs. But just thinking a game is great doesn't make it a huge seller and doesn't give it the potential to sell well either.

There are plenty of Wii games I love that have bombed to high heaven, but I just generally accept that my tastes don't always line up with the market at large.

Xeke

Banned
bcn-ron said:

And this is the exact point. That's not a mainstream game. It wouldn't even be considered had it been released on the other two consoles.

Mrbob

This was a terrible year for NBA2K to have its breakout season in sales.

I'm sure having Kobe on the cover helped, but the game itself is the worst effort 2k has had in years. Aftershock will be NBA2K11 acquiring a fraction of the sales NBA2K10 has had.

Rolf NB

Xeke said:
And this is the exact point. That's not a mainstream game. It wouldn't even be considered had it been released on the other two consoles.
You're dismissing it because it contradicts your argument. Actually, there's a ton of content in Extraction that is completely new, specifically built for that game, and it looks great, animates great, has excellent voice work etc.

bcn-ron said:
You're dismissing it because it contradicts your argument. Actually, there's a ton of content in Extraction that is completely new, specifically built for that game, and it looks great, animates great, has excellent voice work etc.
He's dismissing it because only if the stars align just right do lightgun shooters sell well.

Those stars only align once or twice a generation, and we've already had one.

Xeke

Banned
bcn-ron said:

And it's part of completely niche genre. And you're will to sit here and tell me you think Dead Space Extraction is a release near the caliber of Gears of War, Mass Effect, GTAIV, MGS, RE5, or Modern Warfare?

I doubt it. It's a spinoff of a game that was released on the other consoles. Why didn't the Wii get a release of the real Dead Space at launch? I'm sure it would have sold much better.

Your argument pretty much amounts to saying well DarkSide Chronicles looks great, it's exactly comparable to RE5 on the other consoles. Why isn't it selling as well?

I'm glad that now that light gun games are blockbusters we can see how terrible the Wii really is.:lol

Give me a break.

markatisu

bcn-ron said:

He should be dismissing it for the genre, even being Dead Space it was a light gun game and I think on other systems it would perform similar to every other HD light gun game...which is to say shitty. Unless someone at GAF wants to point to the massive success of Time Crisis on the PS3...oh wait you cant.

The only exceptions to this rule are Links Crossbow Training, NERF and REUC, each one of those has a qualifier that can be applied to it.

HoTD Overkill, HoTD 2/3, Ghost Squad, Dead Space Extraction (possibly in a few months) all performed about the same sales wise with what little numbers we were given (both here and in the EU). Amazingly I think HoTD 2/3 Returns was the best selling of all those and it was a port of a OLLLLD game.

Not saying DSE should have sold that badly but people who compare it to the earlier game without having the proper context and decided to conveniently dismiss the genre change are only one siding the argument.

jorma

is now taking requests
OldJadedGamer said:
NPD doesn't count bundles so technically, it didn't sell a million units it's first month. They don't count bundles because there is no way to prove that someone bought the system for the game. Remember with the MGS4 bundle, it came with a game, was the first ever system to have a rumble controller included and most important... was the last ever system Sony sold that had BC with the PS2. Even if you hated MGS4 with every breath you had, that was the system to buy if you wanted a PS3 at the time. I'm not saying that more than a few people bought the system for the game but it's all speculation. As you pointed out, on the record, MGS4 sold 750k in it's first month in the US according to NPD.

"So, ok i really hate macdonalds. The only reason i ate there was because nothing else was open and i was really hungry. So "technically", macdonalds should not count that as a sale, even though i got the big mac and macdonalds got my money"

Cheezus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The thing about HotD 2&3R is that it was $30 to start. All the other rail shooters were $50 and you only got one game, I'm sure that factored into the buying decision a lot. Plus HotD 2 and 3 were both already established as really fun, pick up and play arcade shooters. While more content and story in a game usually isn't a bad thing, I have to wonder how much of an adverse effect it had on Extraction.

jorma said:
"So, ok i really hate macdonalds. The only reason i ate there was because nothing else was open and i was really hungry. So "technically", macdonalds should not count that as a sale, even though i got the big mac and macdonalds got my money"

Cheezus.

A better analogy would be that NPD counts how many burgers, fries and drinks that are sold. You are not thirsty at all but you go to McDonalds and buy a combo because it's cheaper than buying a burger and fries together outside of the combo. So you get your meal and throw away the drink. Another guy is very thirsty and buys a drink to quench his thirst.

Should your drink be considered a purchase the same as the other guy if your drink was free and only used to get you to buy the combo?

If we start including bundled games in with sales then Kung Fu Panda sold over a million games last Xmas. Bundled games are not counted for a reason because there is NO WAY to prove that someone bought the system for the game. NPD counts 750k for MGS4 in it's opening month and that's what it sold.

markatisu

Andrex said:
The thing about HotD 2&3R is that it was $30 to start. All the other rail shooters were $50 and you only got one game, I'm sure that factored into the buying decision a lot. Plus HotD 2 and 3 were both already established as really fun, pick up and play arcade shooters. While more content and story in a game usually isn't a bad thing, I have to wonder how much of an adverse effect it had on Extraction.

There is some merit to price, SEGA said in two interviews that HoTD Overkill really saw a lot of sales when they lowered it to $29. Makes you wonder if/when DSE hits the same if there will be a similar result.

Maybe the light gun genre is not only niche but price sensitive

The only light gun games to succeed either came with a peripheral or were Resident Evil, which lets stop kidding ourselves would sell pretty much any genre

Parl

speculawyer said:
See, I told you I'd get attacked. :lol
It's right and proper for somebody to be replied to on a discussion forum when they make factually inaccurate claims. Simply claiming the inevitability of people responding to you on a discussion forum doesn't make it any more strange.

faridmon

correct me if i am imagining things people.

did someone actually said that bloody Uncharted 1 is better game than Resident Evil 4?

and did someone compared a bloody amazon ranking to a bloody 2 year port who has the subtitle of Reflex and was not made by bloody Infinity Ward to its PS3/360 origin?

and did some one banned Sagata?

whats going on here? the bloody hell is going on here folks?

faridmon said:
correct me if i am imagining things people.

did someone actually said that bloody Uncharted 1 is better game than Resident Evil 4?

and did someone compared a bloody amazon ranking to a bloody 2 year port who has the subtitle of Reflex and was not made by bloody Infinity Ward to its PS3/360 origin?

and did some one banned Sagata?

whats going on here? the bloody hell is going on here folks?
It's madness I tell you!

MADNESS!

For the Wii third party argument, in all honesty, what the Wii really needs is a God of War, Gears of War, Uncharted, Halo of the life. Games that will attract people to it, people with tastes that will buy other games.

A good example would be Monster Hunter in Japan, where the Wii third party situation is even worse. Given the appropriate "blockbuster" title to it, the games WILL sell well. The same thing with Taiko no Tatsujin, which is a pretty big franchise in Japan as far as I know.

We will see how Red Steel 2 will fare. I'm not quite sure how the game will sell, but with the Motion+ and the appropriate budget, it has a few things going for it. Time will tell.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kagari said:
Anyone know how Demon's Souls did in comparison to other JRPGs from this generation in their first month?
Interesting question, ::goes collecting::

Their 1st NPD month, in order:

Pokémon Diamond (1.045 million)
Pokemon Platinum (805K)
Pokémon Pearl (712,000)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (301.6K)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (258,100)
Pokemon Ranger (206K)
Lost Odyssey (203.6K)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (202K)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (202K)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (~200,000)
Spectrobes (165,000)
Demon's Souls (>150,000)
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (130,000)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (<113,000)
Star Ocean 4 (<70,000)
Blue Dragon (53.6k)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (53k)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (49k)
The World Ends With You (43,000)
Muramasa: Demon Blade (>35,000)
Dragon Quest IV (35k)
Tales of Vesperia (33,000)
Valkria Chronicles (33K)
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (15k)
Blue Dragon Plus (<5,000)

Keep in mind of course that there are alot of titles we don't know the 1st month sales of that did okay to well (Persona 4, FF4, Chrono Trigger, ect.) as well as several titles that are listed that didn't get anywhere near a full months of sales (for example, Tales of Vesperia which only got 4 days of sales in its first NPD month).

AniHawk

Sohter.Nura said:
For the Wii third party argument, in all honesty, what the Wii really needs is a God of War, Gears of War, Uncharted, Halo of the life. Games that will attract people to it, people with tastes that will buy other games.

I don't know what you mean. They need an ultra violent game? Then Uncharted doesn't make sense there. They need a game that attracts people by the millions? Then Uncharted doesn't make sense there. They need something where people enjoy multiplayer? Then God of War doesn't make sense there.

NSMB Wii is probably more in line with something like what Halo does for the 360.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
I don't know what you mean. They need an ultra violent game? Then Uncharted doesn't make sense there. They need a game that attracts people by the millions? Then Uncharted doesn't make sense there. They need something where people enjoy multiplayer? Then God of War doesn't make sense there.

NSMB Wii is probably more in line with something like what Halo does for the 360.
He probably meant a title fanboys splooge over like it's the second coming of Christ, but he forgot Super Paper Mario came out two years and a half ago.

Opiate

AniHawk said:

I'm pretty sure he means games heavily focused on 18-35 year old males. Not just "appeals to all ages, including 18-35 year old guys," as something like NSMB might do, but appeals so directly and strongly to the 20-year-old-male sensibility that virtually no one else is interested. All of the games you mentioned have that. I don't think I'm being unfair to suggest that God of War's audience is more than 90% male.

To qualify, in addition to the obvious (it needs to be well made), games need shiny graphics and a penchant for killing things and/or blowing stuff up.

He probably meant a title fanboys splooge over like it's the second coming of Christ, but he forgot Super Paper Mario came out two years and a half ago.

Well, there was a great deal of anticipation for Wii Fit. Does anyone remember the screaming Ellen audience?

So there are Wii games that appeal that strongly to people. What he must mean is games that appeal that strongly to young males, which just so happen to compromise the majority of this board.

gerg

border said:
Ubisoft released almost nothing but garbage for the Wii in 2009. I don't get how you can simultaneously claim that shovelware isn't selling and boast about Ubisoft's revenue.

Garbage =/= shovelware. (Inasmuch that shovelware has a meaning that cannot be reduced entirely to being rubbish, that is.)

Barrage

grandjedi6 said:

Pokemon Platinum (805K)
Pokémon Pearl (712,000)
Pokemon Ranger (206K)
Lost Odyssey (203.6K)
Spectrobes (165,000)
Demon's Souls (>150,000)
Star Ocean 4 (<70,000)
Blue Dragon (53.6k)
Dragon Quest IV (35k)
Valkria Chronicles (33K)

Keep in mind of course that there are alot of titles we don't know the 1st month sales of that did okay to well (Persona 4, FF4, Chrono Trigger, ect.) as well as several titles that are listed that didn't get anywhere near a full months of sales (for example, Tales of Vesperia which only got 4 days of sales in its first NPD month).

Puts it into perspective. Demon SOuls being the second highest original JRPG opening of the gen.

Anyone have what Last Remnant did in it's first month?

markatisu

border said:
Ubisoft released almost nothing but garbage for the Wii in 2009. I don't get how you can simultaneously claim that shovelware isn't selling and boast about Ubisoft's revenue..

the two holiday Wii games they released in Nov/Dec of 2008 sold very well, which would help make up for their shovelware disasters.

A feat that will most likely happen again this year since they are releasing sequels to said games (Shaun White 2 and Raving Rabbids)

Good selling games help make up for bad selling ones

markatisu said:
He should be dismissing it for the genre, even being Dead Space it was a light gun game and I think on other systems it would perform similar to every other HD light gun game...which is to say shitty. Unless someone at GAF wants to point to the massive success of Time Crisis on the PS3...oh wait you cant.
How many HD light gun games are there besides TC4? And what are the sales numbers for both TC4 and DSE? Your post states that there are multiple HD light gun games and implies that DSE sold comparably to TC4, so I'd love to get the actual numbers.
the two holiday Wii games they released in Nov/Dec of 2008 sold very well, which would help make up for their shovelware disasters.

A feat that will most likely happen again this year since they are releasing sequels to said games (Shaun White 2 and Raving Rabbids)

Good selling games help make up for bad selling ones
I'm pretty sure your extremely low bar for "good selling" is not one that Ubisoft shares. Also, when was the report from Ubisoft stating that Imagine games aren't selling well? Is it more than a year old?

kswiston

grandjedi6 said:

Pokemon Platinum (805K)
Pokémon Pearl (712,000)
Pokemon Ranger (206K)
Lost Odyssey (203.6K)
Spectrobes (165,000)
Demon's Souls (>150,000)
Star Ocean 4 (<70,000)
Blue Dragon (53.6k)
Dragon Quest IV (35k)
Valkria Chronicles (33K)

I wonder where Final Fantasy XIII will end up on this list. Final Fantasy XII debuted at 892k back in November 2006. On the plus side, FFXIII is multiplat, and has access to 360's "gotta get it first day" fanbase. It should also get a fair bit of marketing by Microsoft. On the other hand, Jrpgs haven't been selling that well in recent years, and PS3 owners also have God of War III, and potentially Gran Turismo 5 launching in March (Feb is packed as well).

I am going to guess about 1M in sales for FFXIII's first month with a nearly equal split between 360 and PS3 sales (say 55% 360 and 45% PS3). I wouldn't be surprised if first month sales were lower though.

jorma

is now taking requests
OldJadedGamer said:
Should your drink be considered a purchase the same as the other guy if your drink was free and only used to get you to buy the combo?

But it wasnt free, now was it? Someone gave Konami money for the copy, so i'm sure they will have to count it in their annual account.

And it was not a better analogy at all, it was equally stupid.

Grecco said:
Im pretty sure TC4 was the only HDS on rails shooter and it bombed terribly.
I'm not doubting that it bombed. But if it bombed at 15k or 60k or 100k or whatever (assuming it's actually a bomb; certain fans have long latched onto the notion that all that matters is whichever "publisher expectations" number makes them look the best so I don't see why that shouldn't apply here. Maybe Namco made its money on... I dunno, arcade sales, or plastic toy subsidies, or something equally ludicrous), there's still the issue of degree of bombing.

For example, NFS Shift seems to be a minor bomb. Bionic Commando was a catastrophic bomb.

legend166

The problem with the Wii's third party landscape is that we've now effectively reached the point where what is considered the highest tier of developers make pretty much nothing but violent games aimed at 18-35 year old males. And those games sell best on the 360/PS3, because that's where the audience was established 2-3 years ago.

No one is willing to make a high budget game that targets another demographic. Instead you get stuff like de Blob, Zack and Wiki, etc, which whilst good, isn't going to sell great amounts.

faridmon

Barrage said:
Puts it into perspective. Demon SOuls being the second highest original JRPG opening of the gen.

Anyone have what Last Remnant did in it's first month?

intentionally or not, i liked how you looked at that list and said "i have to ignore the games that came to handheld, wait i can say this gen since i am talking about console'

so in your dictionary this gen = HD console?

OldJadedGamer said:
A better analogy would be that NPD counts how many burgers, fries and drinks that are sold. You are not thirsty at all but you go to McDonalds and buy a combo because it's cheaper than buying a burger and fries together outside of the combo. So you get your meal and throw away the drink. Another guy is very thirsty and buys a drink to quench his thirst.

If we start including bundled games in with sales then Kung Fu Panda sold over a million games last Xmas. Bundled games are not counted for a reason because there is NO WAY to prove that someone bought the system for the game. NPD counts 750k for MGS4 in it's opening month and that's what it sold.
Some of the dumbest shit I have heard in my life

Stumpokapow said:
Off the top of my head, US 500k+ Wii third party sellers (note I have no magic NPD numbers besides the leaks that are uncovered here, like that IGN LTD update a while ago)...

Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Rayman RR
Rayman RR2
Rayman RR3
Game Party
Game Party 2
Mario and Sonic
Carnival Games
Lego Star Wars
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Batman
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil UC
EA Sports Active
Star Wars TFU
Star Wars wii exclusive clone wars
Deca Sports
MySims
Cooking Mama
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty WaW
Tiger Woods 08
Tiger Woods 09
Tiger Woods 10
Madden 08
Madden 09
DDR... uh... one of them... maybe both, actually
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Shaun White
We Ski
Jillian Michaels Fitness
Nerf N Strike
Super Monkey Ball
EA Playground
Red Steel
Boom Blox (?maybe?)
MySims 2 (?maybe?)

... I think one of the High School Musical games had an LTD update released at one point and had it over 500k as well. I have no idea how many I'm missing, I'm sure a few of them.

So you're saying that yes, it's more than 5 then.

>_>

<_<

>_<

kswiston

faridmon said:
intentionally or not, i liked how you looked at that list and said "i have to ignore the games that came to handheld, wait i can say this gen since i am talking about console'

If you combined Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (since they are basically the same game) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness/Time, Demon souls comes in at #9 this gen including handheld titles. Number 6 removing Pokemon titles altogether, and Number 3 among new IPs. That's still pretty good.

faridmon

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Some of the dumbest shit I have heard in my life
this months NPD is the dumbest NPD in a long time. you should have read the whole thread, man is that how gamer have become.

come on guys we used to be cool in the days of SNES Vs Genesis.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How much has GH5 sold on Wii so far? I know it's not 500k+ but I'd be surprised if it wasn't half that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
Garbage =/= shovelware. (Inasmuch that shovelware has a meaning that cannot be reduced entirely to being rubbish, that is.)

It's true that shovelware is not always garbage and garbage is not always shovelware, but as you'll note from my post listing Ubisoft's 2009 Wii output, theirs is both.

jorma said:
But it wasnt free, now was it? Someone gave Konami money for the copy, so i'm sure they will have to count it in their annual account.

That "someone" is Sony. And this isn't a thread about the annual account of Konami sales is it? No, it's an NPD thread and NPD counted 750k for the first month of sales for MGS4.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
It's true that shovelware is not always garbage and garbage is not always shovelware, but as you'll note from my post listing Ubisoft's 2009 Wii output, theirs is both.

I would definitely call their output shit, but I'm not sure I'd call it shovelware.

TMNT: Smash-Up's inclusion in that list is dubious, for example.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Andrex said:
How much has GH5 sold on Wii so far? I know it's not 500k+ but I'd be surprised if it wasn't half that.
It sold less than 132,400 in September and GH5 sold 81,000 combined in October. Even if the Wii version sold 132,400 in September and every copy of GH5 sold in October was the Wii version, it would only cap out at ~213k

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Opiate said:
I'm pretty sure he means games heavily focused on 18-35 year old males. Not just "appeals to all ages, including 18-35 year old guys," as something like NSMB might do, but appeals so directly and strongly to the 20-year-old-male sensibility that virtually no one else is interested. All of the games you mentioned have that. I don't think I'm being unfair to suggest that God of War's audience is more than 90% male.

Excuse me, but that was the solution everyone was giving them in 2003 when the Gamecube was still the focus. And I remember saying to myself back then, "the only way to end Nintendo's negative juvenile image is to embrace it in new ways".

Launching Mature rated games will only put Nintendo in a position they don't want to be in. Comforming with the Macho-industry will not help recover Nintendo's mindshare, that although declining is actually pretty okay when you look at the big picture. What Nintendo needs to do is to find new ways to excite the market by just being themselves.

Top Bottom