• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

blakep267

I'm starting to think Gears will be really down. I was expecting 600k, but since the PS4 sold more software and the BF number was fairly close(Xbox and ps4), either its really lopsided in the PS4's favor for Mafia or gears was really low

Yea, XB1 is taking November. I'm willing to make bets on it. That lead is pretty damn massive.

Shoutouts to AstroClaire for giving us the numbers.

A 90k lead with Gears of War 4 released and people waiting for the Pro doesnt really convince me that November will go to XB1 when the Pro is already out.

I would love to be proven wrong, especially because then the NPD thread would be a salt disaster.

It is a big win but I expected XB1 to have done better, since I also thought BF1 would do gangbusters well and moved a ton of hardware on top of Gears bundle. Chalk this to me being overly optimistic for BF1 again despite UK numbers disappointment lol.

30% sales gap is interesting though since I expect Pro to be at potentially 25-30% add-on sales to Slim at launch. So either PS4 sales are slightly lower or on par with XB1S this month.

How are those BF numbers? I don't know the numbers for the older series but didn't Hardline sell a million in March?

The BF1 numbers seem unimpressive with that context.

Given that Gears 4 in 3rd spot doesn't include Bundles OR digital, that's pretty fucking good.

As the premier Play Anywhere title, that game would be pushing comfortably past the (around) 30% digital mark and plenty would have bough the Gears S console.

I'm sure a ton of people went digital with this one for Play Anywhere and the Ultimate Edition coming with early access. I'd wager digital is above 30% for this one.

SalvaPot

That thing about it being the most pre-ordered Nintendo game ever is very truthful considering Nintendo themselves said it. I think all we know is it has shipped 10 mill copies in its initial shipment nothing about sales other than it is the most pre-ordered game.

10 mill is an amazing amount of games, damn! I am really enjoying the game so far, it deserves it.

Welfare

Code:
Xbox One 329,000

MoM Drop = 1.1%

YoY Rise = 8.4%

Weekly average

Xbox One September: 274,800 / 5 = 66,560
Xbox One October: 329,000 / 4 = 82,250

Rise = 23.6%

Code:
PS4 235,100

MoM Drop = 17.6%

YoY Drop = 14.4%

Weekly average

PS4 September: 285,300 / 5 = 57,060
PS4 October: 235,100 / 4 = 58,775

Rise = 3%

Elios83

Really interesting numbers.
Gap is bigger than I expected but PS4 sales are basically flat (actually slightly up) in weekly average over september and down 14% yoy.
Xbox gained a lot from the Gears or War bundles (>50k that is a huge chunk of the monthly gap) while the Battlefield 1 bundle didn't do much....hironically that what was Amazon was predicting, Uncharted 4 bundle best selling SKU, GOW bundle selling well for the whole month for Xbox and BF1 bundle not selling well, although this is the first month that Amazon fails miserably at predicting the winner. That probably means that Xbox is gaining consumers among a target that is more casual and tipically only buys things in store.
About Sony their strategy needs November datas to be properly validated as we don't know how many Pros they're going to sell and how many people were waiting for the BF deals.
So yeah November will be really interesting lol.

So about 1.2 million for Battlefield 1 launch. Pretty damn good. And almost a 100k gap in October is a big lead for the month for Xbox. Sony should rebound and take November but December is anyone's game imo

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm starting to think Gears will be really down. I was expecting 600k, but since the PS4 sold more software and the BF number was fairly close(Xbox and ps4), either its really lopsided in the PS4's favor for Mafia or gears was really low

Considering that Gears is a big Xbox franchise and Mafia didnt have much competition on the PS4, Mafia being lopsided on PS4 isnt too farfetched. NPD also doesnt have digital for Gears.

I still think PS4 will take November. Pro plus black friday is just too big a boon.

September PS4:XB1 sales difference was a 15% difference in favour of XB1, with the variable introduced that month being the Minecraft bundle.

What that seems to imply is that quantitatively, Gears/BF1 launch + respective bundles added to the equation an additional 15% variance, driven by a combination of new hardware SKU launches, a big tentpole exclusive and a big marketing-associated 3rd-party game release driving.

This month the lustre of month-one spiked Gears/BF1's launches + bundle SKUs should had gone down. I imagine that if this wasn't a holiday season but instead a quieter sales window the 30% sales difference would had dropped to around 20-ish %.

Honestly I find the November numbers hard to predict.

My personal guess was that Pro will make up 30-35% of all PS4s sold this November, while PS4 would had maintained whatever it was going to sell approximately.

However, I also assumed going into this November that we would had seen a CoD/WD2 bundle released during the respective game's launch to broaden the PS4 SKU lineup, but nope. Instead we're going into the holiday season with Pro + UC4 Slim.

UC4 Slim continues to show that it can sell well despite not having a lot of the same value that the XB1S bundles have ( more games, newer games at same price), but it doesn't change the fact that it alone can't sell more than the aggregation of all XB1Ss.

I'd give PS4 a 50:50 chance for November. Even if PS4 beats XB1, I don't think it'll be by a whole lot due to the fact that PS4's SKU mix is not very broad.

sense

Gears 4 is not going to be anywhere near that, that's for sure. How was Judgement? Under 1 million wasn't it?

There is almost a 0% chance that happens
Yea I am thinking even if we are generous with digital numbers for gears and say 50% I believe it will be down by a lot

Is there a COD IW PS4 slim bunduru for this month? Haven't heard nary a peep about that.
If there is, my assumption is that bundle and PS4 Pro launch should help Sony as take Nov

[XBO] Battlefield 1: 647k (~605k standalone / ~42k bundle)

[PS4] Battlefield1: 644k

https://twitter.com/AstronautClaire/status/800570934637662208

Impressive numbers for BF1.
I would've thought the bundle number with XB1 S would be higher than 42k however.

Still a fantastic title for MS to market exclusively.

N.Domixis

Banned
Since both slims are 250, they will sellout on Black Friday since I doubt those two consoles will be left on shelfs that day. Without a doubt Sony will win if they got the stock. Pro will tip the scale in their favor.

OléGunner;225173427 said:
Is there a COD IW PS4 slim bunduru for this month? Haven't heard nary a peep about that.
If there is, my assumption is that bundle and PS4 Pro launch should help Sony as take Nov

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare PS4 bundle is available in UK, Europe, Southeast Asia, and some countries that isn't US/Canada.

The theory proposed by some (like Welfare) is that Sony is holding off any third-party bundles till post-Black Friday (December), as Sony feel Pro + Slim UC4 are sufficient as the tip of the spear for the US market for November.

Whether or not that strategy is the right one. Well, we should find out next month or in the next week when I hear anecdotal numbers of BF movement.

jjonez18

While PS4 Pro numbers won't be anywhere near OG PS4 launch numbers, I predict that it alone will match XBOX One S in November.

So XB1 selling less than 1m in November? What?

I personally don't see the appeal of the Pro. Nor the Slim especially in comparison to the XB1S and its plethora of strong (BF1/MineCraft/Gears) bundle options. It's shelf space in our Best Buy has reached impressive levels. Even if PS4 does come out on top, I doubt it'll be by much.

Welfare

UC4 Slim continues to show that it can sell well despite not having a lot of the same value that the XB1S bundles have ( more games, newer games at same price), but it doesn't change the fact that it alone can't sell more than the aggregation of all XB1Ss.

Who said the slim was selling well? We know the slim sold 17% of all consoles, which is a pretty small amount since we know PS4+XB1 is 564k, and Wii U, PS3, and 360 would be selling very little (low 10,000's each). If 17% includes handhelds, we have an estimate for 3DS at 123k, and to be generous, we'll say Vita sold 10k.

So 564k + 123k + ~60k (assuming Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~20k each) +10k = 757k * 0.17 = 129k

That is only 55% of total PS4 sales. XB1S in August sold >150k, PS4 slim can't even hit that in month 2. Even being generous and assuming the Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~30k each:

564k + 123k + ~90k (assuming Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~30k each) +10k = 787k * 0.17 = 134k

Still a low amount.

While PS4 Pro numbers won't be anywhere near OG PS4 launch numbers, I predict that it alone will match XBOX One S in November.

Literally 0% chance of happening. XB1S is going to sell at least 1m this November. Pro would be lucky to hit even half of the XB1S.

Who said the slim was selling well? We know the slim sold 17% of all consoles, which is a pretty small amount since we know PS4+XB1 is 564k, and Wii U, PS3, and 360 would be selling very little (low 10,000's each). If the 17% includes handhelds, we have an estimate for 3DS at 123k, and to be generous, we'll say Vita sold 10k.

So 564k + 123k + ~60k (assuming Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~20k each) +10k = 757k * 0.17 = 129k

That is only 55% of total PS4 sales. XB1S in August sold >150k, PS4 slim can't even hit that in month 2. Even being generous and assuming the Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~30k each:

564k + 123k + ~90k (assuming Wii U, PS3, and 360 sold ~30k each) +10k = 787k * 0.17 = 134k

Still a low amount.

I'm proven wrong. It's a good reminder I shouldn't say things anecdotally without number-checking. Thanks for the numbers.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare PS4 bundle is available in UK, Europe, Southeast Asia, and some countries that isn't US/Canada.

The theory proposed by some (like Welfare) is that Sony is holding off any third-party bundles till post-Black Friday, and they feel Pro + Slim UC4 is sufficient as the tip of the spear for the US market for November.

Hmm curious strategy. Kind of bizarre that Sony would wait until the 25th of Nov to unleash their well known trump card.

Then again, it's been a hectic few months with PSVR and Pro launches.
I know the majority of November and Xmas shopping will be done this weekend but it's not a lot of time to promo a potential COD bundle especially as the game is already out.

Anyway at least they are doing that bundle beyond US borders otherwise I'd be truly puzzled.

By its 4th or 5th iteration for most games (exceptions apply, like sports, Lego, etc), I think fatigue or familiarity will settle in unless the sequel has a "hook" that can excite the fanbase and reinvigorate the IP.

But beyond that. "that hook" must also be marketed very well. Audience needs to feel the element of newness and exciting that will compel their interest.

Battlefield 1 has the WW1 factor which has made BF feel really fresh even if it's just a nice coat of paint on the BF formula.

Uncharted 4 has the whole "one last time"/"will Drake die?"/"final game in saga" hook on top of other sequel improvement factors that has a strong pull.

Welfare

I'm proven wrong. It's a good reminder I shouldn't say things anecdotally without number-checking. Thanks for the numbers.

You are welcome. Really, if they didn't give that 17% number I would have thought the slim was doing much better but in reality it isn't moving the needle. It is probably only selling as well as it is because it is the marketed bundle.

I don't know what's happen but Microsoft is having a hard time with first-party games.

The consumers that would have bought Halo 5 and Gears 4 have either moved on to other game like Destiny and CoD or have a PS4. Both really benefited from the casual buyer.

Also you could argue Halo was already going down since Halo 3.

Halo 3: 3.3M / 12 days in NPD = 275,000 a day (September)
Reach: 3.3M / 19 days in NPD = 173,684 a day (September)
Halo 4: 3.2M / 19 days in NPD = 168,421 a day (November)

Halo and gears are just getting old, some fans have grown up and moved on.

Grown up, as in adult life hit them hard not that games are for kids.

I think this is part of it but also

I don't know what's happen but Microsoft is having a hard time with first-party games.

Remember the last installment of Gears nearly killed the entire franchise. Judgement was so poorly received by the fan base that even Epic had no plans on working on the franchise after that released. I think its a combo of the franchise being older, and also people hesitant on if it would be any good or not.

Halo 5 had a somewhat similar situation where Halo 4 was pretty poorly received as well. Also a not small number of 360 owners don't own Xbox One's. A lot of them own PS4's now instead. That is certainly a factor

cheesekao

Halo and gears are just getting old, some fans have grown up and moved on.

Grown up, as in adult life hit them hard not that games are for kids.
Series fatigue is a more likely cause. God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgement were both in similar situations. Both were underselling prequels that weren't as good as their previous titles which were sales monsters. MS decided that Gears should remain Gears which resulted in a collective "okay..." whereas Sony has the next God of War be a completely different thing which garnered a lot of attention as evidenced by its E3 showing.

Welfare

Series fatigue is a more likely cause. God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgement were both in similar situations. Both were underselling prequels that weren't as good as their previous titles which were sales monsters. MS decided that Gears should remain Gears which resulted in a collective "okay" whereas Sony has the next God of War be a completely different thing which garnered a lot of attention as evidenced by its E3 showing.

Gears 4 remaining "Gears" was the best decision as Judgement was poorly received as a multiplayer title and the first true Gears game since then needed to be familiar. We already know what happens when a new studio goes wild on a sequel that has very little in common with the previous games (Halo 4). God of War can get away with it since it is a single player experience.

With Halo 5 being true to form and more highly regarded as 343 "getting Halo right" while still adding in plenty of core mechanics changes, it should bode well for Gears 5 now that Coalition has proven they have the Gears formula mastered.

cheesekao

Gears 4 remaining "Gears" was the best decision as Judgement was poorly received as a multiplayer title and the first true Gears game since then needed to be familiar. We already know what happens when a new studio goes wild on a sequel that has very little in common with the previous games (Halo 4). God of War can get away with it since it is a single player experience.

With Halo 5 being true to form and more highly regarded as 343 "getting Halo right" while still adding in plenty of core mechanics changes, it should bode well for Gears 5 now that Coalition has proven they have the Gears formula mastered.
I don't really see why God of War can get away with being different just because it's an SP game. There have been many SP games that were criticized for switching up the formula too much with DmC and RE being notable ones. I don't blame MS for wanting to take the safe route but that could very well be why they aren't doing as well as they could.

sense

I think this is part of it but also

Remember the last installment of Gears nearly killed the entire franchise. Judgement was so poorly received by the fan base that even Epic had no plans on working on the franchise after that released. I think its a combo of the franchise being older, and also people hesitant on if it would be any good or not.

Halo 5 had a somewhat similar situation where Halo 4 was pretty poorly received as well. Also a not small number of 360 owners don't own Xbox One's. A lot of them own PS4's now instead. That is certainly a factor
Well God of war ascension was poorly received, yet I think the new God of war could be the best selling entry. Personally I believe uncharted 3 left a lot of fans disappointed even though it fared well critically but uncharted 4 doesn't seem to have been affected. I just feel once you go past a 3rd entry, you need to really amaze people or change things up to get fans rejuvenated for a new set of games. More of the same will only bring back your hardcore fans.

blakep267

I don't really see why God of War can get away with being different just because it's an SP game. There have been many SP games that were criticized for switching up the formula too much with DmC and RE being notable ones. I don't blame MS for wanting to take the safe route but that could very well be why they aren't doing as well as they could.
ALSO to be fair we don't know how the new God of war will perform. I don't really use YouTube views as a barometer for sales. We don't really know if it will also be down, but to be fair it didnr hot the highs of a halo or gears of war so maybe it won't be affected that much overall

Curufinwe

So XB1 selling less than 1m in November? What?

I personally don't see the appeal of the Pro. Nor the Slim especially in comparison to the XB1S and its plethora of strong (BF1/MineCraft/Gears) bundle options. It's shelf space in our Best Buy has reached impressive levels. Even if PS4 does come out on top, I doubt it'll be by much.

You don't see the appeal of a much more powerful console for $100 more? It's pretty obvious what the appeal is.

score01

I still think PS4 will take November. Pro plus black friday is just too big a boon.

I'm not convinced of this. During a normal sales month maybe. With Black Friday deals and awesome deals on the OG xbone I wouldn't be surprised to see a MS win. In fact I predict that MS will take Nov and Dec. They have the momentum. Who would have thought at the start of the year that MS would take NPD for 6+ months. Crazy great time to be a consumer.

Syysch

You don't see the appeal of a much more powerful console for $100 more? It's pretty obvious what the appeal is.

I think that's why we're not seeing aggressive black friday deals for the ps4 - to keep the "just $100 more" perception for the pro during that shopping period. I imagine after those sales are done with, the base ps4 will get some more aggressive deals, either in december or early next year.

Top Bottom