• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Salmonax

Looks like Bioshock (approx 640K LTD) remains firmly ahead of Metroid Prime 3 (approx 385K LTD), despite speculation that MP3's sales were lower due to less release time.

Either way, it's a good time to be Microsoft or Nintendo.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy Fucking Shit! @ Halo 3! Around 60-65% of all 360 owners picked it up, That is totally insane! You see Nintendo, THIS is the power of advertising! (poor MP3 :( )

it's also the power of an excellent game with tremendous grassroots support. miyamoto COULD make halo, but he doesn't want to

beerbelly

Banned
What IS the PS3 userbase buying? 139,000 for Heavenly Sword (about 4 weeks of sales) is pathetic. It'd be lucky to hit 400,000 LTD.

Spasm

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Fanboysh, but not wrong. Numbers are facts: 3.3 millions and 530k X360 ? 2.7 millions already had the console.
I would just like to add that, anecdotally, the 360 was also supply constrained. I couldn't find one at a B&M anywhere near me for the 2 weeks after Halo 3's release. Even now, all you can find are Halo editions... until the bundles show up methinks.

moai

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Move: yes. Explode or drive very significantly: no. Halo 3 was out for the entire month after all.... But the incredible software's sales are what matters this month.

And Nintendo still laugh....

what??????????????

¿?

dankir said:
How the hell did the wii move 500,000 units?? HOW?@!#1

They pushed more into the pipe last month. Funny how that happens when Halo comes out.

There was one day where Amazon actually had units in stock for several hours in a row.

siamesedreamer said:
halops3.img

PS3 sales are meh, true.

But don't forget that MS lost Bungie (kinda-sorta), Bioware, and Bizzare recently. MS's future isn't perfect either.

Anyways, holy shit at the halo 3 sales. Fuckton.

borghe said:
agreed. even with 360's biggest game, likely of it's entire lifespan, Wii only fell shy by 27K. Kudos to Halo3 for moving some systems, and kudos to Wii for umm.. selling like fucking crazy with their biggest hit of the month: a month old game.
I think GTA IV will outsell it worldwide, but that's just me. And Wii is almost untouchable by the other two, hardware-wise...but I think that was apparent a long while back. I see X360 taking the rest of the holdiay, too...though Wii will be on its ass the whole way....especially considering Ninty's hardware supply constraints. I wonder if my hunch that PS3 will fail to get over 200k in any given territory for the rest of the year will actually come to pass? I didn't figure in a real price drop because I thought Sony was still smoking crack, but it may put it over 200k for a month or so in Europe sometime this year after all.

X26

Banned
Those Halo 3 numericals appear to be quite substantial

And the Wii did alright for itself as well, so celebrate industry killlers, CELEBRATE!
1192736363586.gif

TheLegend

Umm, the fact that 360 outsold the Wii isn't suprising at all. The fact that it only outsold it by 27k with 3.3 million copies of HALO 3 while the Wii had shit software this month and is STILL supply constrained... THAT'S surprising.

Frillen

Sho_Nuff82 said:
360 outsells PSP and PS2 comined, over 2 million units in hardware sold for the month, Reggie owned, Halo 3 decimates a very ordinary top 10, Metroid Prime 3 + Blue Dragon + Eternal Sonata + Stranglehold + Phantom Hourglass bomba, I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS, shit just got real.

Phantom Hourglass was only out for 4 days during this NPD. And I wouldn'y call MP3 a bomba either.

minus_273 said:
wow, a halo 3 fueled 360 barely edges out wii and DS? whats going to happen in december when galaxy hits and there are more wii units in stock?
I think it will be much closer than people think, it's not like people won't want 360s for Christmas as well.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
WOW! My predictions were way off!! Pleasantly surprised that the 360 sold over 500k and more than Wii in general. I don't think that there has ever been an October with such high console sales, only the PS3 misses the party. What a joke!

itsgreen

yeah 500k wii is great.

but unless they have a secret storage facility, 360 is going to sucker punch the wii this holiday.

Wii is almost constantly sold out, while the 360 will sell atleast a million units this a month in november and december.

dkeane

Wow at these numbers, how the fuck is Wii selling 500K+ when it didn't even have any releases? Mario and Smash are going to be insane.

Speevy

Banned
Well, this confirms the obvious.

Halo 3 is a friggin' MONSTER system seller, and the Xbox 360 should do very well this holiday season.

However, it also confirms that even without monster games, the Wii is sooooooooooo much more popular than the Xbox 360. Also, I don't think MS took Sony's spot in that the Xbox 360 could be expected to sell 300-500K every month even during the Q1-Q3 period. Surely no sane person thinks that.

And the PS3 is still doomed.

neptunes

borghe said:
huh??? You think Mass Effect is going to propel systems like Halo??? really? you've already forgotten tremendous games like GeoW and Bioshock barely moving the system sales needle?

hmmm....
I dunno, KOTOR, JSRF/SEGA GT, and splinter cell moved units.

It's all in the marketing

I think MS should really push the core in their marketing this fall!, and allocate more units.

Xellos

:eek: @ Halo 3 & 360
Wii & DS keep rolling, as usual
Nice legs for MP3 & Bioshock

PS3 is pretty freaking low. This was a 5-week NPD, right? Sony needs to get something going with that $400 drop. What they really need is software, though.

Bo130

Nuclear Muffin said:
How many days was PH counted for, seems a bit low for a Zelda game!

It was released on a monday, October 1st, and the NPD September Coverage covers through October 6th. So... a week. Seems pretty low, yes :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
m0dus said:
I dunno. but considering Halo 3 was only on sale for 5 days in september, I suspect that MS will do just fine for nov-dec.
but really, how many of those 3.3M copies sold on in those first 5 days?

Why do people always say "But it was only on sale for >4 days". I mean one day, two days?? even four days I suppose. But by the time you get to a full work week that argument is just wrong.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
They pushed more into the pipe last month. Funny how that happens when Halo comes out.

There was one day where Amazon actually had units in stock for several hours in a row.
They actually didn't.

The Wii have been selliong at around 100k a week for the last three months. September was just a 5 week month.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
mr_bishiuk said:
yer lets ignore the first months figures eh?
fa·ce·tious /fəˈsiʃəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fuh-see-shuhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

Top Bottom