• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

borghe said:
huh??? You think Mass Effect is going to propel systems like Halo??? really? you've already forgotten tremendous games like GeoW and Bioshock barely moving the system sales needle?

hmmm....

Indeed. Guys, keep in mind that Halo 3 is the BIGGEST game the X360 had and unlikely there will be another one that will have such an impact. This means that if Halo 3 cannot drive X360's sales significantly, nobody can. But, anyway, 530k is not abd at all, considering that the game was out the 23.

Lefty42o

Banned
borghe said:
huh??? You think Mass Effect is going to propel systems like Halo??? really? you've already forgotten tremendous games like GeoW and Bioshock barely moving the system sales needle?

hmmm....

gears of war moved systems my friend. bioshock just didn't have that look for many to get fired up about. they could have marketed it better.

mass effect is hitting at a good time to move systems. thinking otherwsie is just as foolish as thinking halo 3 won't move systems. i am to tired to look up the npd for gears of war but i believe its first month numbers were over 500,000

DoctorWho said:
The PS3 price drop makes a lot of sense right now.

It's pretty wild when a $100 'price cut' causes a spike that completely evaporates inside of two months.

We'll never again see another $500 or $600 console.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Metroid Prime 3 is completely disappointing but expected
Phantom Hourglass should rack up some nice sales over the holidays

LukeSmith

1186192986395qc2.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HS sales...well, at least it charted.

Kinda strange. Even though there aren't a ton of PS3 owners, those that exist really aren't buying games.

Stranglehold not one of the biggest games this holiday season confirmed :lol

MP3 sales look kinda....eh....

Davidion

Speevy said:
Well, this confirms the obvious.

Halo 3 is a friggin' MONSTER system seller, and the Xbox 360 should do very well this holiday season.

However, it also confirms that even without monster games, the Wii is sooooooooooo much more popular than the Xbox 360. Also, I don't think MS took Sony's spot in that the Xbox 360 could be expected to sell 300-500K every month even during the Q1-Q3 period. Surely no sane person thinks that.

And the PS3 is still doomed.

Yup

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Move: yes. Explode or drive very significantly: no. Halo 3 was out for the entire month after all.... But the incredible software's sales are what matters this month.

And Nintendo still laugh....

Huh? Halo 3 only came out in the last week of September.

minus_273 said:
wow, a halo 3 fueled 360 barely edges out wii and DS? whats going to happen in december when galaxy hits and there are more wii units in stock?

Yeah, that's my fault. I bought a wii for my gf for her birthday. Don't tell her though, it's a surprise :eek:

Oh, and the usual stuff about pricing differences, different market segments, DS is cheap enough for an impulse buy and has a great library, Wii has caught the casual and non gamers' imaginations, etc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
neptunes said:
I dunno, KOTOR, JSRF/SEGA GT, and splinter cell moved units.

It's all in the marketing

I think MS should really push the core in their marketing this fall!, and allocate more units.
no.. you got it right the second time. It's all marketing.

The point remains that Mass Effect has no more chance of being a system seller than GeoW or Bioshock.. all three great games, but when it comes to an MS console, only one thing will produce insanely higher month-to-month numbers, and it's already here.

m0dus said:
I'd say that first 5 days accounts for all the hardcore players. as word of mouth spreads, sales will probably go strong well into the holidays.
of course it will still sell. probably even a million or two more by the end of the year. but it still stands that that 3.3M likely represents the majority of what the game will sell this year (which could still mean 6m+ in sales by years end)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you convert the systems in terms of DOLLARS SPENT (hint: companies care about DOLLARS), 360 beat the Wii by a FUCKTON of units. Close to double the units. Love the wiifitter damage control though. :lol

VerTiGo

Banned
Metroid Prime has sold approx. 385,000. I promise you the game will break one million within a year. It will continue to sell as the holidays approach and Wii hardware sales see a spike.

Does anyone know how it's tracking in comparison to the previous two Prime games, even though they were sold closer to the holidays.

DeaconKnowledge said:
3.3 Million. Wow.

And even with that Microsoft only barely beat the Wii.
Kintaro said:
That's just crazy. Wii took 360's biggest nuke and came away with barely a bruise.
Yup. Wii is unstoppable. There will be no other game on Xbox 360 as big as Halo 3 (until Halo 4), and Wii sales were not affected at all.

So can we start predicting how big the 360 drop will be for October? :lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:
They pushed more into the pipe last month. Funny how that happens when Halo comes out.

There was one day where Amazon actually had units in stock for several hours in a row.

Wii sold almost exactly the same weekly average as the last two months. There's no conspiracy going on.

borghe said:
but really, how many of those 3.3M copies sold on in those first 5 days?

Why do people always say "But it was only on sale for >4 days". I mean one day, two days?? even four days I suppose. But by the time you get to a full work week that argument is just wrong.
Halo has consistently had better legs in NA than almost anything else. I don't think it's crazy at all to think it will stay in the top 3 the whole holiday season. NA will probably see almost five million copies of H3 by end of year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Doubledex said:
You will laugh, because? And why? And it will give you what?

The things the SDF say are too funny sometimes. Didn't they invent the "Wait till XXX launches" thing? And what will it give me? A few minutes of laughter, that's what. W/E, the thread is about NPD, so... keep on with the NPD (and we need more fucking gifs dammit)

Kosma

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
360 Installed Base: 6,700,000
Halo 3 Sales: 3,300,000

Attach rate: 49%

0_0

That is insane.

Insane.

Relix said:
The things the SDF say are too funny sometimes. Didn't they invent the "Wait till XXX launches" thing?

You must be new to this game.

Spiegel

m0dus said:
I dunno. but considering Halo 3 was only on sale for 5 days in september, I suspect that MS will do just fine for nov-dec.

No. It was 12 days

NPD Coverage: September 2 - October 6

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thoughts

1- Remember, this period tracked up until October 6th, so Halo 3 saw 11-12 days of sale.s

2- Just amazing for Halo and 360, and surpassing nearly all of our estimates. I think 360 is going to do just fine in N.A this holiday.

3- Amazing Wii numbers as well..no significant releases and it does 500K? Wow

4- Sony...price drop can't come soon enough. Nuff said.

spwolf

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Move: yes. Explode or drive very significantly: no. Halo 3 was out for the entire month after all.... But the incredible software's sales are what matters this month.

And Nintendo still laugh....

lol... you poor, poor soul..

titiklabingapat said:
They actually didn't.

The Wii have been selliong at around 100k a week for the last three months. September was just a 5 week month.

I stand corrected. I still keep forgetting this was a five-week month.

I think they are promising 'double' for the holidays. 1.8 million for Nov/Dec?

Funny how Amazon was able to keep them in stock for most of a day with no real spike in supply.

Talamius

AstroLad said:
If you convert the systems in terms of DOLLARS SPENT (hint: companies care about DOLLARS), 360 beat the Wii by a FUCKTON of units. Close to double the units. Love the wiifitter damage control though. :lol

Weren't people saying the same thing about the PS3?

Relix said:
The things the SDF say are too funny sometimes. Didn't they invent the "Wait till XXX launches" thing? And what will it give me? A few minutes of laughter, that's what. W/E, the thread is about NPD, so... keep on with the NPD (and we need more fucking gifs dammit)

I gave HL2 and Ep1 to a dude that uses the "DF" crap? :/

arne said:
noooooooooooooo.
i will miss you.
*sniff*

He doesn't really want to be here

Lefty42o

Banned
GAZERK said:
PS3 sales are meh, true.

But don't forget that MS lost Bungie (kinda-sorta), Bioware, and Bizzare recently. MS's future isn't perfect either.

Anyways, holy shit at the halo 3 sales. Fuckton.

ms gave bungie its freedom but still has a publishing relationship with it.

they never owned bioware or bizzare so how they lost an independent developer is still a mystery to me.

Avrum

I don't get it, as insane as this generation has been thus far I don't see how so many could fall into the "ban bet" traps that they have. I refuse to predict anything until things begin to level out. :p

goldenpp72

People downplaying the 360s success are pathetic, it is very likely the 360 will continue to sell amazingly well throughout the year, halo 3 won't outright die in october.

You can argue Halo 3 hasn't been a huge system seller, but that's because its September. November and Decmber, the Christmas shopping season, will show just how powerful Halo 3 is at moving systems.

neptunes

borghe said:
no.. you got it right the second time. It's all marketing.

The point remains that Mass Effect has no more chance of being a system seller than GeoW or Bioshock.. all three great games, but when it comes to an MS console, only one thing will produce insanely higher month-to-month numbers, and it's already here.
well I believe the marketing push for Splinter cell and the SegaGT/JSRF bundle was pretty massive.

You advertise it hard, it will sell.

I don't see how anybody can be upset at those numbers. Unless you're a PS3 fan, but I won't go there. Awesome sales for Nintendo and Microsoft. Halo 3 is pretty much what I expected it to be. I wonder if it will be totally front-loaded or if they can hit 5 million by the end of the year. MP3 sales are lower than I'd hoped for, but I knew it wasn't going to be anything huge.

Grecco

AstroLad said:

Wifitter. heh.

Top Bottom