• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Jackson said:
did anyone else see the Voodoo Extreme NPD leaked charts? had top 50 console, top 50 PC, and top 10 per console...

I dunno if its been discussed in this thread yet

I saw them on another forum but I think they got pulled for some reason.

Halo 2 was still selling like 50k. Crazy.

EDIT:

Can I post the link?

GhaleonEB

GarthVaderUK said:
This was a 5 week NPD month, wasn't it? Are October, November and December just 4 week NPD months? Anyone know?
Quarters go on a 4-4-5 cycle, which reflects the retail sales calendar.

October - 4 weeks
November - 4 weeks
December - 5 weeks

Following that pattern, September was 5 weeks.

Jokeropia

Leondexter said:
"If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs...if we had some eggs."
That statement was in the context of "if PS3 had the same tie-ratio and sold as much hardware as the Wii, it would have pretty good software sales." I was making the point that it's not the tie-ratio in itself that makes the PS3 software sales bad, it's the very low hardware sales.
Leondexter said:
You can't say. It's very possible to have good hardware sales and bad software sales--take the PSP. Or the Wii, what's to say the PS3 wouldn't be in the same boat as the Wii if it were selling as well?
Uh, Wii and PS3 have virtually identical tie-ratios in the US. (Completely excluding Wii Sports.) Wii also has a better tie-ratio worldwide. That is, Wii has a solid tie-ratio that combined with the massive hardware sales equal great software sales.

GhaleonEB said:
Quarters go on a 4-4-5 cycle, which reflects the retail sales calendar.

October - 4 weeks
November - 4 weeks
December - 5 weeks

Following that pattern, September was 5 weeks.

Ah, thanks for the explanation :)

Jackson said:
did anyone else see the Voodoo Extreme NPD leaked charts? had top 50 console, top 50 PC, and top 10 per console...

I dunno if its been discussed in this thread yet

It was discussed a few pages back, or at least the links were posted.

From the figures that sonycowboy supplied in the software prediction thread, it would seem that Ve3d's charts were a hoax. No Stranglehold listed for 360, no Warhawk for PS3 and the numbers for MySims were wrong as well. I wouldn't trust them, they look fake.

GhaleonEB

So yesterday I decided to build a time line of the various SKU/Price changes that Microsoft and Sony have made so far this generation, in North America, out of curiosity It seemed like they've been coming hard and fast. Did a little quick googling and was rather bewildered. This was for my own amusement, but I briefly considered starting a thread to discuss where things could go from here. However, I generally don't like doing starting threads. So here's the time line. Not strictly related to NPD per se, but I thought it might be interesting to some; I'm going to add the release notes to my spreadsheet. (Probably some errors/omissions but I tried to be complete.)

08-17-2005 - 360 Launch SKU's Announcement

11-22-2005 - XBox 360 Released in the US

05-08-2006 - PS3 Launch SKU's Anouncement

09-21-2006 - 20 GB PS3 Confirmed to have HDMI Included

11-17-2006 - PS3 Released in US

03-27-2007 - Elite 360 Announcement

04-11-2007 - 20 GB PS3 Officially Discontinued

04-29-2007 - Elite 360 Released

07-08-2007 - 80 GB PS3 Announcement, 60 GB Price Drop

07-11-2007 - Halo 3 Edition Xbox 360 Announced

08-06-2007 - 360 Price Drop Announcement

08-07-2007 - 80 GB PS3 Released

08-07-2007 - HDMI in Premium 360's Found, Subsequently Announced

09-16-2007 - Halo 3 Edition of Xbox 360 Released

10-08-2007 - 360 Holiday Bundles Announced

10-18-2007 - 40 GB PS3 Announcement, 80 GB Price Drop Announcement

10-18-2007 - Arcade 360 SKU Announcement

pswii60

GhaleonEB said:
So yesterday I decided to build a time line of the various SKU/Price changes that Microsoft and Sony have made so far this generation, in North America, out of curiosity It seemed like they've been coming hard and fast. Did a little quick googling and was rather bewildered. This was for my own amusement, but I briefly considered starting a thread to discuss where things could go from here. However, I generally don't like doing starting threads. So here's the time line. Not strictly related to NPD per se, but I thought it might be interesting to some; I'm going to add the release notes to my spreadsheet. (Probably some errors/omissions but I tried to be complete.)

08-17-2005 - 360 Launch SKU's Announcement

11-22-2005 - XBox 360 Released in the US

05-08-2006 - PS3 Launch SKU's Anouncement

09-21-2006 - 20 GB PS3 Confirmed to have HDMI Included

11-17-2006 - PS3 Released in US

03-27-2007 - Elite 360 Announcement

04-11-2007 - 20 GB PS3 Officially Discontinued

04-29-2007 - Elite 360 Released

07-08-2007 - 80 GB PS3 Announcement, 60 GB Price Drop

07-11-2007 - Halo 3 Edition Xbox 360 Announced

08-06-2007 - 360 Price Drop Announcement

08-07-2007 - 80 GB PS3 Released

08-07-2007 - HDMI in Premium 360's Found, Subsequently Announced

09-16-2007 - Halo 3 Edition of Xbox 360 Released

10-08-2007 - 360 Holiday Bundles Announced

10-18-2007 - 40 GB PS3 Announcement, 80 GB Price Drop Announcement

10-18-2007 - Arcade 360 SKU Announcement

Interesting. And despite the multiple SKUs for 360, people should remember that it didn't have a single price drop for 19 months. PS3 is now on its second price drop within 11 months. MS are really pushing Sony hard this gen.

Jokeropia said:
That statement was in the context of "if PS3 had the same tie-ratio and sold as much hardware as the Wii, it would have pretty good software sales." I was making the point that it's not the tie-ratio in itself that makes the PS3 software sales bad, it's the very low hardware sales.
Uh, Wii and PS3 have virtually identical tie-ratios in the US. (Completely excluding Wii Sports.) Wii also has a better tie-ratio worldwide. That is, Wii has a solid tie-ratio that combined with the massive hardware sales equal great software sales.

I know. I'm saying that if the PS3 had good hardware sales, it wouldn't necessarily have the same tie ratio. It could be higher or lower. Or it could be the same as the Wii, which means people would bicker about whether that's amazingly good or atrociously bad. You'll see both argued in this very thread.

gregor7777 said:
I saw them on another forum but I think they got pulled for some reason.
Halo 2 was still selling like 50k. Crazy.

EDIT:Can I post the link?

Speaking of the unspeakable charts . . . WTF happened to Stranglehold?!?! It released on the 360 in Septmber right . . . not in the Top 50? So it sold less than 20K or so? How did it tank that bad? Not a single Midway title in the Top 50. Holy crap they are in trouble.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Haunted One said:
Oh my, it is.

I skimmed through it and hoped it would be filled with "Wii Sports is gonna flop lolz" or similar, but the posts seemed pretty reasonable to me (ie of the "it could become a hit" kind). Maybe I just missed the dumb posts. Or the fun. :/

pswii60 said:
Interesting. And despite the multiple SKUs for 360, people should remember that it didn't have a single price drop for 19 months. PS3 is now on its second price drop within 11 months. MS are really pushing Sony hard this gen.

And the Wii is clearly the runaway success story . . . but if you look closely, it just doesn't move nearly as much software as it does hardware (Wii consoles & Wii Play/controller bundles).

Very interesting generation.

GhaleonEB

pswii60 said:
You could look at it the other way, as well. MS didn't initiate their first move, the Elite aside, until a few weeks after Sony cut. Right now there's not a lot of pressure on MS from Sony - but I think that will change. If the PS3 really gains traction this holiday at $400 I see a lot more back and forth positioning in 2008 as well. Sony is clearly cutting more given their sales, but I think next year will be a pretty fierce fight.

sangreal said:
HOLY...that's stone cold PR, right there.

GhaleonEB said:
You could look at it the other way, as well. MS didn't initiate their first move, the Elite aside, until a few weeks after Sony cut. Right now there's not a lot of pressure on MS from Sony - but I think that will change. If the PS3 really gains traction this holiday at $400 I see a lot more back and forth positioning in 2008 as well. Sony is clearly cutting more given their sales, but I think next year will be a pretty fierce fight.

Hopefully this is the case, it will force them both to work hard to compete with each other. This can only be good for consumers.

watership

speculawyer said:
And the Wii is clearly the runaway success story . . . but if you look closely, it just doesn't move nearly as much software as it does hardware (Wii consoles & Wii Play/controller bundles).

One of the guys at work compared the Wii and Wii Sports to the Telstar system. You buy it. It comes with pong and a gun game that you select with a switch. And that's it. Most people I know have one game for the Wii. Wii Sports. A few have Zelda and Metroid Prime 3.

This will all change with SMG however.

David Dennis said:
David Dennis, a Microsoft spokesman, gloated–by way of his PR agency–that Halo 3 sold more copies than all games made for the competing PlayStation 3 console for the months of May, June, July, August and September combined

Someone also noted that both the Wii and the 360 sold more in September than the PS3 did in entire quarter consisting of July, August, and September combined. (And that includes the increased sales bump when the PS3 had its first price cut.)

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
Someone also noted that both the Wii and the 360 sold more in September than the PS3 did in entire quarter consisting of July, August, and September combined. (And that includes the increased sales bump when the PS3 had its first price cut.)
Was that someone you? :p

PS3 sales were poor but that really sets it in stark relief. Ouch.

watership said:
This will all change with SMG however.
That doesn't help the 3rd party software makers much though.

But as many have said, they really need to make better software if they want better sales.

WTF happened to platformers? I think I'll have to start another thread with that rant.

TJ Spyke

gregor7777 said:

Ugh, why does anybody sort these lists by $ instead of units? Kinda makes it useless since you can have "Title A" sell more than "Title B", but Title B be ranked higher because it costs more. It also makes it more difficult to tell the real top 10 since it's possible for a game to not make the top 10 because a higher priced game that sold less copies bumped it off (for example, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition would have to sell two copies for every one copy that a full priced game sold).

Jackson

TJ Spyke said:
Ugh, why does anybody sort these lists by $ instead of units? Kinda makes it useless since you can have "Title A" sell more than "Title B", but Title B be ranked higher because it costs more. It also makes it more difficult to tell the real top 10 since it's possible for a game to not make the top 10 because a higher priced game that sold less copies bumped it off (for example, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition would have to sell two copies for every one copy that a full priced game sold).

no... $$$ is the real way to rank a title, because $$$ is all that actually matters... you could sell 20 million units of halo 3 for 5$ but that doesn't mean crap because your revenue for the game sucks

TJ Spyke said:
Ugh, why does anybody sort these lists by $ instead of units? Kinda makes it useless since you can have "Title A" sell more than "Title B", but Title B be ranked higher because it costs more.

Well. . . they have a spreadsheet and with a single click they can re-sort based on units.

But as said above, it is the money that really matters. Title A v. Title B is fan-boy talk.

And be grateful for what ever improperly leaked data you get!

speculawyer said:
Well. . . they have a spreadsheet and with a single click they can re-sort based on units.

But as said above, it is the money that really matters. Title A v. Title B is fan-boy talk.

And be grateful for what ever improperly leaked data you get!

Odd, Resistance isn't in the top 10 PS3?

ccbfan

Personally, I think how they adjust for Wii software works pretty well right now. While Wii sports packin hurts Wii's ratio, Wii Plays helps it. So in they end they even out.

So people that complain Wii Sports should count should be happy Wii Play does count and people that complain Wii Play shouldn't count should be happy Wii Sports doesn't count.

Speaking of crazy tie ratios does those Burger King games count for the 360?

This is a great thread!

First a couple of observations:-

Wii is still selling because it is an extremely popular novelty for some people, especially ones that need to keep up the joneses.

There is a seriouly large amount of Satuday night Wii Sports parties going on - but other than that Saturday night the console sits unused.

The Wii IS a paradigm shift, and it most definitely has a different audience. The amount it is selling is proof of the paradigm shift, and the poor amount of software it sells is proof that it is a party-piece to be pulled out at the weekend.

Where the PS3 is just now is just shit, I really hope the price drop helps.

speculawyer said:

I always compare the Wii to a board game. It gets whipped out for some cool multiplayer action every now and then by alot of users. The Nintendo hardcore are the ones that use it often.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jackson said:
Drawn to Life made DS top 10 :D take that Halo 3!

If that number is right, that's huge. A 46,000 unit first month pretty much guarantees a minimum of 75-100k lifetime, ESPECIALLY considering that Drawn to Life has broader appeal than a lot of games and handheld titles tend to rack up more catalog sales.

Congrats!

Mandrion

Banned
Ok, this topic is awsome.

Over half of this month's NPD-thread is derailed by dellusional Sony-fanboys.
So Wii didnt sell software?
Well, it certainly sold 500.000 units of WiiSports. A real game, like anyone knows who played it for more than 30 minutes.
Also, i love these contradicting fanboy-arguments. So on the one hand Wii is the crappy non-gamer system, that only casual-gamers buy (those, who only buy the console as a WiiSports machine), on the other hand trolls in here bitch about the sales of Metroid Prime 3, a hardcore game, as hard core a game can get. All that while MP3 is on course to surpass even the first MP-entry, even though one could have thought that after MP2 people would completely ignore the franchise.

After all is said and done, instead of bad-mouthing the Wii because of the MP3-"bomb", people should hope that the game sells more with time coming, just like they did with, you know, Bioshock. But Bioshock had the advantadge of not being released on a Nintendo-system, yeah, i know.

And then we have these XBox-fanboys, that call Reggie and idiot for saying, Halo 3 isnt a system-seller. Well, lets take a look at the sales numbers. XBox360 soll 200k units more than usual, thats certainly impressive, no doubt. But Halo 3 sold 3.3 million units. Three Point Three Million! With that amount of sold software you´d like to think that it´d have had moved a lot more hardware. Halo 3 was a system seller for a few people, but it certainly wasn THE system seller that one would have expected it to be, and Reggie was one of them.

At the end of the day, we have great numbers for Xbox360, Wii, Halo 3 and Metroid Prime 3. Some may spin the facts, but this is what they are. The only competitor you can bitch about is Sony. Bad software sales, really bad hardware sales. I dont tell you to do this, but its utterly annoying to see people spin the facts to bitch about something that just isnt bad, when some other things ARE indeed bad. NPD, or what i´d like to call it this month, "SpinAge"

The PS3 numbers are even worse once you factor in the 5 week month. They would have been sub 100k numbers if it were only for 4 weeks. I don't even think the Gamecube sold that poorly.

lix2k3

Mandrion said:
Ok, this topic is awsome.

Over half of this month's NPD-thread is derailed by dellusional Sony-fanboys.
So Wii didnt sell software?
Well, it certainly sold 500.000 units of WiiSports. A real game, like anyone knows who played it for more than 30 minutes.
Also, i love these contradicting fanboy-arguments. So on the one hand Wii is the crappy non-gamer system, that only casual-gamers buy (those, who only buy the console as a WiiSports machine), on the other hand trolls in here bitch about the sales of Metroid Prime 3, a hardcore game, as hard core a game can get. All that while MP3 is on course to surpass even the first MP-entry, even though one could have thought that after MP2 people would completely ignore the franchise.

After all is said and done, instead of bad-mouthing the Wii because of the MP3-"bomb", people should hope that the game sells more with time coming, just like they did with, you know, Bioshock. But Bioshock had the advantadge of not being released on a Nintendo-system, yeah, i know.

And then we have these XBox-fanboys, that call Reggie and idiot for saying, Halo 3 isnt a system-seller. Well, lets take a look at the sales numbers. XBox360 soll 200k units more than usual, thats certainly impressive, no doubt. But Halo 3 sold 3.3 million units. Three Point Three Million! With that amount of sold software you´d like to think that it´d have had moved a lot more hardware. Halo 3 was a system seller for a few people, but it certainly wasn THE system seller that one would have expected it to be, and Reggie was one of them.

At the end of the day, we have great numbers for Xbox360, Wii, Halo 3 and Metroid Prime 3. Some may spin the facts, but this is what they are. The only competitor you can bitch about is Sony. Bad software sales, really bad hardware sales. I dont tell you to do this, but its utterly annoying to see people spin the facts to bitch about something that just isnt bad, when some other things ARE indeed bad. NPD, or what i´d like to call it this month, "SpinAge"

What an effort to at least try to sound impartial.... Bravo! But, you just had to slip in the whole "halo 3 wasn't REALLY a system-mover" argument. Just let it rest bro.

Mandrion

Banned
I wouldnt have mentioned it if there werent that many idiot bad-mouthing Reggie's statement, you know. 200k more units than usual is great. But wether you take it that way or the other, Reggie's right as well.

So all the people that were saying that Halo 3 wasn't a system mover and 360 would sell <400k this month are now saying that it wasn't a system mover because it actually went over 500k, which was , at least last month heresy around these parts?

No big bump for 360 cos all the Halo fans have already got one!

Any one that thinks that Halo 3 is not a system seller is deluded.

donny2112

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
For some odd reason, I imagined a PS3 and a gamecube staring menacingly at each other while playing "Dualing Banjos".
We've already had that thread. It's how theBishop got (correctly) tagged.

Brak said:
October - 90K
November - 315K

I think GTA IV being delayed has really hurt the PS3.
Yep, as it turns out, the GTA IV hurt the PS3 way more than it did the 360.

PS3 is really needing a marquee title for this Christmas. I don't think R&C is it, even though it is a nice game and will be fun to play. It just doesn't have the sort of hype a game needs to drive system sales, and it is a platformer (a dying breed).

Uncharted has a chance to be PS3's big hit this fall, if it reviews really well. It will be interesting to see how that title turns out.

Top Bottom