• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Maxwell House said:
Wow, sounds like the 40 gig could be like the ever elusive 20 gig model.
Will the real price of PS3 this Christmas be $500 (since no one can find the 40 gig model)???
Will Sony then discontinue it after a couple of months due to "lack of demand" and go 80G all the way? :lol

Subarushian said:
So thats a no then.
I gave you the verifiable source of numbers of Nintendo's Wii shipments.

It's NPD.

Even Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft use them for their own reports and their respective official press releases

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Meier said:
GTFO here. Everyone knows that essentially every Wii on store shelves is sold within a day or two in the US. This is one of those indisputable facts.. kinda like Halo 3's sales being the most impressive thing in video game history.

I think a good question is why isn't Nintendo making more Wiis? Wii can't be difficult to manufacture, so why are they still supply constrained?

I can understand the first year because Wii demand exceeded Nintendo's expectations, but now they should have an idea of how many they can produce...why not crank them out?

titiklabingapat said:
What the NPD figures only really meant is that Nintendo shipped exactly 501k for September. That's it.

The Wii could have easilly beaten a discounted, Halo-ized 360 if Nintendo really wanted to.
I was takling about the NPD prediction thread, and I'm pretty sure all those guys were well aware of the situation.

I also love the phase "if Nintendo really wanted to" as if they didn't. They can't. :lol

TheRipDizz said:
I was takling about the NPD prediction thread, and I'm pretty sure all those guys were well aware of the situation.

I also love the phase "if Nintendo really wanted to" as if they didn't. :lol They can't.
26k(over 5 weeks) is statistical noise compared to a weekly allotment of 100k+.

goldenpp72 said:
Agent icebreezy, while I admire your view and wish it were true, I have very little faith in microsofts ability to advertise anything that isn't the next halo (halo, gears) They promised to market viva pinata until our teeth fell out and we ended up getting one ad that played for like 3 days.
...they had a cartoon made.

When will people learn to stop blaming marketing for Viva's bombfall? The audience MS wanted was not the audience that bought the 360 and was not the audience that matched with the game. To an extent Viva failed because of marketing, only because Microsoft wanted it to be a new Pokemon, but it was not for lack of effort.

titiklabingapat said:
26k(over 5 weeks) is statistical noise compared to a weekly allotment of 100k+.
+/- 5% is "noise"? If you say so. It may be a low amount, but is still significant, especially considering all the variables.
And I love this downplaying of the 360 beating Wii for a month, just so you know. It reeks of bitter tears that are usually reserved for the HD gen console supporters and it has only amounted to one month that had a very special occurance in it. God forbid it happen two months in a row in a month that has nowwhere near the hype this one did. We'd need to put all you guys on suicide watches. :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
ShockingAlberto said:
...they had a cartoon made.

When will people learn to stop blaming marketing for Viva's bombfall? The audience MS wanted was not the audience that bought the 360 and was not the audience that matched with the game. To an extent Viva failed because of marketing, only because Microsoft wanted it to be a new Pokemon, but it was not for lack of effort.

If MS is serious about the Viva franchise, they can revive it when the X360 is below 170 bucks and the 360 is selling to the market that VP appeals to.

A 400 dollar console just doesn't sell the to under 16 market.

titiklabingapat said:
I gave you the verifiable source of numbers of Nintendo's Wii shipments.

It's NPD.

Even Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft use them for their own reports and their respective official press releases

And the wheel keeps going round and round...

Of course they use them for their press releases. Its a great source of sales data.

I'm just going to stop now, since asking for shipment #'s seems to be blasphemy in face of the "fact" that every Wii that hits the shores is sold. Which may well be the case, but we don't know for certain and it would be interesting to know.

Meier

It isn't that it's blasphemy, it's that that information simply isn't available. What is available is the number of systems sold (or a close approximation of it) and that is going to closely mirror what was shipped. That simple.

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
+/- 5% is "noise"? If you say so. It may be a low amount, but is still significant, especially considering all the variables.
And I love this downplaying of the 360 beating Wii for a month, just so you know. It reeks of bitter tears that are usually reserved for the HD gen console supporters and it has only amounted to one month that had a very special occurance in it. God forbid it happen two months in a row in a month that has nowwhere near the hype this one did. We'd need to put all you guys on suicide watches. :lol
The last 9 months must have been hard for you.

The last 9 months must have been hard for you.
Very.
I really don't know how I'll find all the time to finish all these fuckin awesome 360 games. The shit's getting pretty hectic and they're starting to stack up. :(

Subarushian said:
Thank you for answering my question, was that so fucking hard? Or do people have to wade through GTFO! just to get answers around here?
The Wii has been pretty much consistently sold out in America since launch.

Monthly sales might not equal monthly shipments, but in America it's pretty damn close. That's what tit was getting at. We don't have the exact numbers, but we've got pretty close numbers.

goldenpp72

I know microsoft had a cartoon made for viva pinata, and it helped move it to the 500k mark in sales. However microsoft said they were going to make toys, candy, advertise it *everywhere*, it was like their pokemon or something. What it got was a decent kids show and a great but rarely shown commercial, released right next to the gears of war bombshell, and the rest is history.

Blue dragon? 20 million dollar project with a huge campaign in japan, I don't think they even made a tv ad for that one in the US.

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
I know microsoft had a cartoon made for viva pinata, and it helped move it to the 500k mark in sales. However microsoft said they were going to make toys, candy, advertise it *everywhere*, it was like their pokemon or something. What it got was a decent kids show and a great but rarely shown commercial, released right next to the gears of war bombshell, and the rest is history.
Viva Pinata was on my kid's cereal boxes for a while, as well.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
goldenpp72 said:

Blue dragon? 20 million dollar project with a huge campaign in japan, I don't think they even made a tv ad for that one in the US.

Viva is at 500k? Great for Rare. That is persistance

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Mrbob said:
If PS3 doesn't cut any momentum soon, the release of GTA4 could be the nail in the coffin for the system.

Pretty much. Everyone has forgotten about GTA4. I think it might turn out to be pretty ugly, who knows.

Man, when MGS4 and FFXIII release, the NPD anticipation is going to be epic.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
chespace said:
Pretty much. Everyone has forgotten about GTA4. I think it might turn out to be pretty ugly, who knows.

I expect lots of meltdowns and crying for MGS4.

FF13 is so far away I don't think it's going to really matter frankly. 2009 in Japan...2010 here? Generation is done by then.

goldenpp72

Yeah viva is nearish 500k worldwide (according to the banned site first, then rare later confirmed it)

Still a lot of those happened at a budget 20 dollar price point :(

Blue dragon is a worse offender though, excellent title and no campaign for it, it's selling more in japan then in america and europe combined right now :/

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
Yeah viva is nearish 500k worldwide (according to the banned site first, then rare later confirmed it)

Still a lot of those happened at a budget 20 dollar price point :(

Blue dragon is a worse offender though, excellent title and no campaign for it, it's selling more in japan then in america and europe combined right now :/
Microsoft got a demo out ahead of release, which usually sparks interest in major upcoming titles. I didn't move the needle; people must have just not been impressed. I though a demo would help it.

TheRipDizz said:
Seriously now.

Subarushian said:
And the wheel keeps going round and round...

Of course they use them for their press releases. Its a great source of sales data.

I'm just going to stop now, since asking for shipment #'s seems to be blasphemy in face of the "fact" that every Wii that hits the shores is sold. Which may well be the case, but we don't know for certain and it would be interesting to know.

We may never know the EXACT number of Wii's being shipped down to the nearest ones but one thing we can be certain of is that the Wii is still selling each and every one that hits the shelves in the United States.

Sean

Banned
chespace said:

Hell, I can't wait until December so that we can see the November NPD.

There's a lot of people making crazy bets and predictions.

Agent Icebeezy

GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft got a demo out ahead of release, which usually sparks interest in major upcoming titles. I didn't move the needle; people must have just not been impressed. I though a demo would help it.

The BD demo is a disservice to the game. It really is.

Agent Icebeezy

goldenpp72 said:
The demo the blue dragon was fuckin terrible, so that only ads to microsofts inability :p

I don't know who is at the helm of demos, but you need to start from the beginning of a game for rpgs. A random battle isn't cutting it.

Ramenman

Hmm what ? Some people are actually making excuses the Wii for being beaten by 360 ?

Hell, 360 with the OMGZORZ game everybody wanted on it since its announcement sells 27k more than the Wii with nothing, and some people get sad ?

Anyone who thinks Halo 3 didn't perform massively and provide a good boost to X360 sales is pushing an agenda.

By the same token, anyone who doesn't think that the Wii with no software releases of note almost matching a X360 on Halo 3's release month is extremely telling, is also seeing things through tinted glasss.

Pureauthor said:
By the same token, anyone who doesn't think that the Wii with no software releases of note almost matching a X360 on Halo 3's release month is extremely telling, is also seeing things through tinted glasss.

What i don't get is why this month is any more telling than a regular month. I would of thought getting beaten by 300K a month in your best region was pretty telling, but now that the 360 actually posts decent numbers thats the telling fact?

No doubt that the fact that 360 requires halo 3 to be wii is pretty telling but no more than what we have been seeing the rest of the year.

Gadfly

Opus Angelorum said:
Jesus, don't even suggest such a thing.
Sorry, lame joke. But that's what they did to 20G SKU and I think it was a good SKU. This is all water under the bridge, but for quite a few months they raised the price of entry on an already expensive console.

Also, I am sure they make more money (or lose less, whichever) with 80G. All those cuts including 40G are nowhere close to $100.

Are they going to keep 80G SKU BC capable?

TheRipDizz said:

I don't understand. Wii sold extremely well with jackshit software, maybe even up on a week-by-week basis from last month but I'm not counting, and the 360 sold extremely well with its biggest killer-app that ever will be. How is that bitter tears? I think it speaks more highly of the Wii's selling power in the face of having little to play in the face of the 360's selling power with its biggest gun.

Agent Icebeezy

Aristotlekh said:
I don't understand. Wii sold extremely well with jackshit software, maybe even up on a week-by-week basis from last month but I'm not counting, and the 360 sold extremely well with its biggest killer-app that ever will be. How is that bitter tears? I think it speaks more highly of the Wii's selling power in the face of having little to play in the face of the 360's selling power with its biggest gun.

Who is the Wii selling too? More than likely, it's selling to people that would have never considered a 360 or PS3. Totally different plane

Gadfly

AdventureRacing said:
What i don't get is why this month is any more telling than a regular month. I would of thought getting beaten by 300K a month in your best region was pretty telling, but now that the 360 actually posts decent numbers thats the telling fact?

No doubt that the fact that 360 requires halo 3 to be wii is pretty telling but no more than what we have been seeing the rest of the year.
Any comparison between September 360 and Wii numbers is completely meaningless. I’m glad I'm saying this now that 360 managed to sell a little bit more because if I had said the same thing with 360 selling less, it would have been considered bitter tears.

Wii will sell as many as they ship (or pretty much very close to it). End of story. You cannot compare two numbers when one is capped by demand and the other by production. GAF is full of intelligent people but I am surprised how many of them simply don’t get it. That includes those that consider 360 numbers unimpressive because they were “barely” over Wii numbers conveniently dropping the fact that 360 beat the GAFs average prediction by quite a large margin. I wish these people could go back in time and would have made a prediction before all of sudden showing up now and express their “disappointment”.

legend166

So guys, which "casual" game do you think all the Wii haters will jump onto this week to try and prove that gaming is dead? In August it was Boogie and that bombed. For September it was supposed to be Carnival Game because Speculawyer was all "OMG IS GAMING DEAD CARNIVAL GAMES ON TOP OF AMAZON FOR 3 WEEKS OH NO WHAT WILL WE DO?!" Then that bombed too.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Who is the Wii selling too? More than likely, it's selling to people that would have never considered a 360 or PS3. Totally different plane

I think the industry will look back at the significance of Wii Sports as a pack-in game for the Wii and how it will change the landscape of gaming. i'd love to see hard data on the userbase. some would argue that it sold due to jackshit software but the underlying issue here is that it seems people who purchased the Wii are content with Wii Sports and they're looking for similar experiences (hence Wii Play doing so well). Or (even worse) is that they're happy playign Wii Sports for hours on end and aren't really compelled to buy anything else for the time being.

legend166

Agent Icebeezy said:

If this is the case, the industry is lucky the Wii exists, otherwise we would have seen a pretty big crash, no?

Agent Icebeezy

legend166 said:
If this is the case, the industry is lucky the Wii exists, otherwise we would have seen a pretty big crash, no?

Why is the industry happy that only Nintendo is making money on the Wii? 3rd party isn't selling and outside of a few games, I don't think Nintendo really gives a shit. I know that there really isn't much to recoup in comparison to the PS3/360, but no one, probably not even Nintendo tell me who is buying the wii. Who can a 3rd party focus their next game on? It's why we have this thing going on with like the same game in a different skin going on.

Taking last generation's royalty rate into effect of 6-8 dollars and Nintendo cost at launch was 159 and selling it to retailers at 210, they are making like 50 a console.

Making 50 off of a console is like selling it at cost and receiving the royalty rate of 6-8 games. Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank for sure, but 3rd party isn't. The industry is thankful for the way 360 3rd games sales though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Listen to the man. When Iwata said 3rd parties will eventually benefit from Nintendo's success, don't you think he's right? Wii at 10 millions can't make 3rd party shine that much. But what about Wii at 30 millions? Wii at 50 millions? Nintendo is likely to reach these userbase figures, and then 3rd party sales could be multiplied by what, 3? 5? More perhaps. Just like what happened with the DS. But no one listens to the man.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Why is the industry happy that only Nintendo is making money on the Wii? 3rd party isn't selling and outside of a few games, I don't think Nintendo really gives a shit. I know that there really isn't much to recoup in comparison to the PS3/360, but no one, probably not even Nintendo tell me who is buying the wii. Who can a 3rd party focus their next game on? It's why we have this thing going on with like the same game in a different skin going on.

Taking last generation's royalty rate into effect of 6-8 dollars and Nintendo cost at launch was 159 and selling it to retailers at 210, they are making like 50 a console.

Making 50 off of a console is like selling it at cost and receiving the royalty rate of 6-8 games. Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank for sure, but 3rd party isn't. The industry is thankful for the way 360 3rd games sales though.

Idono, maybe in the short run the (non-nintendo) industry would be thankful for the 360, but I think in the long run they'll be thankful that this change occurred where consoles cannot be put into the market with this huge price barrier preventing consumers from buying them en masse, thus preventing massive sales. The more people that own a system, the more a game is likely to sell a certain amount. The lower the cost of a system, the more of that system people will buy.

F#A#Oo

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Listen to the man. When Iwata said 3rd parties will eventually benefit from Nintendo's success, don't you think he's right? Wii at 10 millions can't make 3rd party shine that much. But what about Wii at 30 millions? Wii at 50 millions? Nintendo is likely to reach these userbase figures, and then 3rd party sales could be multiplied by what, 3? 5? More perhaps. Just like what happened with the DS. But no one listens to the man.

Ya!

Iwata seems to be thinking on a whole new level...and unlike people working at Sony or MS he actually knows where he wants Nintendo to be, positioned and how. I don't think neither MS nor Sony know where they want to be in 5 years...Iwata has true vision.

Kutaragi probably had a plan for the next 20 years for the Playstation brand...but that's probably been binned...the day they retired him.

Kolgar

FFS, I don't get the Wii/360 comparisons anyway.

Nintendo and MS are selling two different experiences, really.

In Wii, you have a fun party machine with innovative control that's great for family and friends around holidays and get-togethers. Break out the Wii Sports and have a blast.

In 360, you've got more of a traditional gamer's console with your single-player Dead Risings and your online multiplayer Gears and Halos. You've got a sports machine or a movie machine or whatever that shows off your HDTV.

The people buying these machines are different from each other (with Wii opening up the non-gamer crowd) and the experiences they're getting are vastly different. Which helps explain why Wii can sell unphased by the release of Halo; the two consoles are not really competing directly with each other. Yet they complement each other nicely as owning both gives you perhaps the best of both worlds in video entertainment today.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
titiklabingapat said:
We may never know the EXACT number of Wii's being shipped down to the nearest ones but one thing we can be certain of is that the Wii is still selling each and every one that hits the shelves in the United States.
That's true but we will have Nintendo's North American (as well as Japanese and Other) shipment totals for the quarter this coming week (October 25th).

Kolgar said:
FFS, I don't get the Wii/360 comparisons anyway.

Nintendo and MS are selling two different experiences, really.

In Wii, you have a fun party machine with innovative control that's great for family and friends around holidays and get-togethers. Break out the Wii Sports and have a blast.

In 360, you've got more of a traditional gamer's console with your single-player Dead Risings and your online multiplayer Gears and Halos. You've got a sports machine or a movie machine or whatever.

The people buying these machines are different from each other (with Wii opening up the casual crowd) and the experiences they're getting are vastly different. Which helps explain why Wii can sell unphased by the release of Halo; the two consoles are not really competing directly with each other. Yet they complement each other nicely as owning both gives you perhaps the best of both worlds in video entertainment today.
Because Iwata never said he'd forsake the traditional gaming crowd. Just a week ago, he announced plans to focus more on that crowd now that they essentially bagged their other target.

Fuzzy said:
That's true but we will have Nintendo's North American (as well as Japanese and Other) shipment totals for the quarter this coming week (October 25th).

Still though, he was insisting that NPD is not good enough when even the companies themselves consider it pretty much official.

Top Bottom