• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chû Totoro;134749513 said:
Fanboys?!? Maybe he's upset by some posts or tweets but that doesn't seem very professional. If he doesn't want backslash why don't he keep this for his business contacts only? You want free publicy but you don't want the little things around it?

Damage control. Is he seriously trying to justify his job or the quality of his work on Twitter?

I guess everything has been said about Pachter prediction already so I'll look at detailed numbers and the rest of the discussion now.

Honestly, I agree with what you said.

When that crazy prediction came out, Pach had ample opportunity to calmly explain that it is one of many scenarios, many a lot closer than that, and it was taken out of context.

But instead he chose to Ubi and react defensively, accusing gamers of "Hate" for his prediction (not shock or amusement), ulterior motives (justifying their ps4 purchase as if damn near ALL gamers interested in this stuff weren't questioning his reasoning), and then name calling ("Fanboys!!" Really? This behavior from a professional in the public eye?).

He's acted like a man-baby with a bruised ego. I like the guy and I appreciate people on this site in this thread even are clients of his, but jeez. He put himself out there as an authority with his Bonus Round visits and Pach Attack. He knows gamers thinks that he's in the know when it comes to these things. He runs with top guys in the industry and he likes the publicity. Stuff like this is going to happen when you put yourself out there, but he could have preemptively stopped it.

Even after he could have simply said "Hey, you win some, you lose some" then move on. But this explanation coming out now, true or not, seems like damage control. If his clients are happy with his performance, which from this thread appears to be the case, just say "yeah, that prediction does seem out there in hindsight", and keep winning.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mere profitability is not enough and is not the goal in and of itself. The goal is high margin profitability. With their core products, Microsoft have 90% margins (Windows, Office, Enterprise), and a stranglehold on the marketplace. Consumer Electronics on the other hand, struggle to get about 10% margins and that is no where good enough.

Mattrick's plan would have given them a stranglehold and those high margins. An Xbox with a cut of all software, yearly memberships, and extensive Kinect-fueled biometrics for advertising would have been a goldmine if the competition had been the Wii U and a 2013 version of launch PS3. But Cerny's PS4 is a great console and so the Xbox division is in a hard spot: how to justify their exsistence within Microsoft given MS expectations?

Spencer's moves--such as buying Tomb Raider/TitanFall exclusivity, getting rid of Kinect, packing-in games, adding Games-with-Gold, and buying Gears of War IP--do nothing to get Xbox into the high margins. In fact, they all reduce margins. IMO, his mandate for his first year is nothing more than damage control. At best, he is going to do what Sony did with the PS3 in its first 18+ months, i.e. making the console into a product that isn't actively repulsive. Which leads to the question: what are they planning next?

The big push for MS before SN became CEO was 'one microsoft', wherein every division was supposed to work with every other division and create seamless products in a walled garden. I believe that this is still their goal, and SN is just the guy to make that into a reality.

MS would not make Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users and give away the mobile version with a solid plan for monetizing users. As such, MS' next big push is undoubtedly going to be getting people to use the Windows store 100% of the time. The easiest way of doing that in Windows is by doing what Apple does with OSX. In OSX a user cannot add software that hasn't been downloaded from the Apple store without toggling a hidden setting. Without that toggle, OSX puts up an ominous warning screen that adding software from untrusted sites will lead to ruination. This, in effect, forces all software through Apple for regular users who will never change hidden settings.

Their phones and RT tablets already force Windows Store use, which why they give that OS away. So, Xbox will have to do the same. But like Win10, it will have to be done in such a way that doesn't get gamer ire up, i.e. you will still have to be able to buy discs and used games.

So what might they do to get Xbox into the One Microsoft vision? My answer would be Minecraft + integration. The next version of Minecraft is undoubtedly going to be for MS products only and only available on the MS store. This is going to push tens of millions into the MS tablet-desktop-phone-xbox ecosystem. After that, they can make moves to get games like AC moving through the store on PC as well as X1 through crossplay and remote play on tablets if the user has purchased the product from MS store. An integrated X1 that pushes people into the overall ecosystem is a justified high margin x1.

In this scenario, MS wins, xbox division wins, and consumers end up with interoperable products that are very appealing.

This is a good post, but a scary one too. Microsoft is all about control, even when it infringes upon consumer rights and freedoms. I can definitely see them using Minecraft as a weapon to attempt to garner marketshare, they didn't buy the franchise just because they were bored. But your prediction is a bit too rosy IMHO.

Some of the biggest reasons why Minecraft has been the success it has been are:

1. It's a cheap game price wise
2. It's available on a plethora of platforms
3. Free online multiplayer
4. Media / friend hype and attention
5. Free updates, buy the game once and all new content is yours free
6. Mods

A Minecraft 2 exclusive to Microsoft products will immediately appeal to a much smaller fraction of the current Minecraft base of 55 million. I don't think tens of millions of people pushed into the MS store by Minecraft 2 is realistic. MS is going to get greedy and hurt the brand's value if they do what you are suggesting. Which is probably exactly what will happen, looking at their track record of late.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This is goddamn scary future for me as I'm a PC and PS4 player. I hope there's international laws that can stop this kind of monopolization. Microsoft is an evil corporation and I do not want to support them any further apart from the obvious Windows OS.

I need the :lol smiley back. This is priceless. Guess that makes Sony a good corporation. Nintendo too... they have never, ever done any wrong, even when the Pimp Hand was strong.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think so. I think he's made it obviously clear that he doesn't enjoy the mountains of shit and bullying that he gets from ignorant fanboys on GAF and other places. I really wish the moderation would step up and do something.

A grown man can't be bullied by anonymous powerless Internet nobodies. At the end of the day Pachter is the one laughing all the way to the bank.

I need the :lol smiley back. This is priceless. Guess that makes Sony a good corporation. Nintendo too... they have never, ever done any wrong, even when the Pimp Hand was strong.

He wasn't talking about Sony or Nintendo. "Other's do it too" isn't a sound rebuttal.

maxiell

Aquamarine is the heroine we deserve.

Yikes at the Forza Horizon 2 sales. I think the fact that the last game was $15 on Black Friday really hurt launch day sales.

Given how well FPS sell on Xbox One, I'm surprised there aren't more first party ones in the pipeline.

Just caught up to this madness of the thread. Aqua do you ever sleep? You've mentioned that you are on the east coast and I see you posting at 6am. Guess its that IB lifestyle.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good post, but a scary one too. Microsoft is all about control, even when it infringes upon consumer rights and freedoms. I can definitely see them using Minecraft as a weapon to attempt to garner marketshare, they didn't buy the franchise just because they were bored. But your prediction is a bit too rosy IMHO.

Some of the biggest reasons why Minecraft has been the success it has been are:

1. It's a cheap game price wise
2. It's available on a plethora of platforms
3. Free online multiplayer
4. Media / friend hype and attention
5. Free updates, buy the game once and all new content is yours free
6. Mods

A Minecraft 2 exclusive to Microsoft products will immediately appeal to a much smaller fraction of the current Minecraft base of 55 million. I don't think tens of millions of people pushed into the MS store by Minecraft 2 is realistic. MS is going to get greedy and hurt the brand's value if they do what you are suggesting. Which is probably exactly what will happen, looking at their track record of late.

Are you saying that it's in violation of consumer rights for Microsoft to release their newly acquired IP, Minecraft, only on their products?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have a feeling BC will be coming to the Xbox one.

How?

magic.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe I'm confused, but what would the Xbox One need a chalkboard for?

I thought those were for things that were generally selling horribly. Not for "Not in first place."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I thought those were for things that were generally selling horribly. Not for "Not in first place."

We can make an Xbox One chalkboard for mainland Europe, then!

Not for Japan, 'cause...let's face it, it's completely worthless

StevieP

Banned
If you look at gaming as a whole, there has never been more money or more users or more games, and great games too, like Dota2 and LoL. Really, the only people who are worried are makers of handhelds and sellers of retail games.

Ie the console market. Retail is still majority.PC market is healthy, mobile market is stil selling

Not surprised Microsoft chose not to share numbers, even if they had a good month (Which we have every reason to believe they did) those PS4 numbers are so incredibly high, it would look pretty pitiful in comparison.

This is goddamn scary future for me as I'm a PC and PS4 player. I hope there's international laws that can stop this kind of monopolization. Microsoft is an evil corporation and I do not want to support them any further apart from the obvious Windows OS.
looney-tunes-dancing-o.gif

I am so happy to see a mod making this post.

XB1 is doing fine in NA, it's just that the PS4 is doing great.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Mere profitability is not enough and is not the goal in and of itself. The goal is high margin profitability. With their core products, Microsoft have 90% margins (Windows, Office, Enterprise), and a stranglehold on the marketplace. Consumer Electronics on the other hand, struggle to get about 10% margins and that is no where good enough.

Mattrick's plan would have given them a stranglehold and those high margins. An Xbox with a cut of all software, yearly memberships, and extensive Kinect-fueled biometrics for advertising would have been a goldmine if the competition had been the Wii U and a 2013 version of launch PS3. But Cerny's PS4 is a great console and so the Xbox division is in a hard spot: how to justify their exsistence within Microsoft given MS expectations?

Spencer's moves--such as buying Tomb Raider/TitanFall exclusivity, getting rid of Kinect, packing-in games, adding Games-with-Gold, and buying Gears of War IP--do nothing to get Xbox into the high margins. In fact, they all reduce margins. IMO, his mandate for his first year is nothing more than damage control. At best, he is going to do what Sony did with the PS3 in its first 18+ months, i.e. making the console into a product that isn't actively repulsive. Which leads to the question: what are they planning next?

The big push for MS before SN became CEO was 'one microsoft', wherein every division was supposed to work with every other division and create seamless products in a walled garden. I believe that this is still their goal, and SN is just the guy to make that into a reality.

MS would not make Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users and give away the mobile version without a solid plan for monetizing users. As such, MS' next big push is undoubtedly going to be getting people to use the Windows store 100% of the time. The easiest way of doing that in Windows is by doing what Apple does with OSX. In OSX a user cannot add software that hasn't been downloaded from the Apple store without toggling a hidden setting. Without that toggle, OSX puts up an ominous warning screen that adding software from untrusted sites will lead to ruination. This, in effect, forces all software through Apple for regular users who will never change hidden settings.

Their phones and RT tablets already force Windows Store use, which why they give that OS away. So, Xbox will have to do the same. But like Win10, it will have to be done in such a way that doesn't get gamer ire up, i.e. you will still have to be able to buy discs and used games.

So what might they do to get Xbox into the One Microsoft vision? My answer would be Minecraft + integration. The next version of Minecraft is undoubtedly going to be for MS products only and only available on the MS store. This is going to push tens of millions into the MS tablet-desktop-phone-xbox ecosystem. After that, they can make moves to get games like AC moving through the store on PC as well as X1 through crossplay and remote play on tablets if the user has purchased the product from MS store. An integrated X1 that pushes people into the overall ecosystem is a justified high margin x1.

In this scenario, MS wins, xbox division wins, and consumers end up with interoperable products that are very appealing.

I dont know about that Minecraft prediction...Skype is still available on other mobile platforms. Whats even wilder is it got/will get yanked for ppl using WP 7 while being updated for other platforms. Meanwhile Skype it still available for ppl using older versions of Android and iOS.

Google doesnt even go that far, they might give you their app with some features missing on other platforms but its still available.

Office is coming/is on Android and iOS. If MS doesnt care about trying to lure ppl to WP with exclusive apps...I cant seem them doing this with Minecraft. Exclusive content, features, yes. Exclusive to MS platforms? I dont see it. Would be shocking if they do.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Are you saying that it's in violation of consumer rights for Microsoft to release their newly acquired IP, Minecraft, only on their products?

No, of course not, they own the IP now. I am saying that MS is not generally a consumer friendly corporation, and they usually try their best to force things onto the consumers that are not value added for anyone but MS. If not for the backlash we would now have an online only Xbox One where all games are digital only with a mandatory Kinect. No one but MS wanted that, an they only wanted it to enact a form of control over both the consumers and developers.

And that is why they are where they are now.

Will they learn from the market and their own mistakes? Or will they do what Bunny said above and try yet again to control and funnel the market along their own roads?

cakely

With the Sunset Overdrive bundle coming soon, I honestly expect Xbone to win for October. Pre-orders have been fairly ok.

I know the month is only half-over, but:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-10/videogames

#9 Playstation 4 Console
#16 Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle

#35 Xbox One

That's it. "Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive Bundle" isn't even in the top 100.

The Destiny Bundle has legs, and Sunset Overdrive is a niche game that just isn't going to move consoles.

pr0cs

I have a feeling BC will be coming to the Xbox one.

For me it's likely too late, though it would make the device a lot more attractive. Offering any sort of BC option with additional cost would be pointless though.

A free addon would likely be attractive to those customers who haven't chosen a console yet might be a way to keep them on board.

tfur

As such, MS' next big push is undoubtedly going to be getting people to use the Windows store 100% of the time. The easiest way of doing that in Windows is by doing what Apple does with OSX. In OSX a user cannot add software that hasn't been downloaded from the Apple store without toggling a hidden setting. Without that toggle, OSX puts up an ominous warning screen that adding software from untrusted sites will lead to ruination. This, in effect, forces all software through Apple for regular users who will never change hidden settings.

The appeal of another "store" to buy into is questionable. IOS and Android are the new operating systems for mobile and in general. Microsoft has an uphill battle. Same goes for their tablets.

There is a reason the Office tools are going cloud based and are ported to Android and IOS. Less and less people each day need the Microsoft OS... for anything.

I seriously doubt Nadella is going to make Minecraft exclusive. Their mantra is now "mobile first, cloud first." They NEED their services on everything to stay relevant. What they can do is make an appealing service offering that has exclusive content, but they would be better served to have a gulf of content on EVERYTHING. Hopefully Nadella sees this, like he does the MS Office space.

So.... where are we with the save the xbone chalk board?

Yes, we need a chalk board refresh. We have chalk boards and rainy windows every generation, this one deserves one here.

We should add "something something interesting next month..." to the board.

Biker19

Banned
People don't seem to care about it on reddit either, I posted something about the PS4 having the best September debut ever and in the top 3 September results of all time, but it just got downvoted and people were replying about how a console with 'no games' doesn't deserve this success.

Ugh.

No point in discussing it outside of GAF.

Wow. There's a lot of butthurt Xbox fanboys out there.

harSon

Banned

I said the same thing last generation, but it's all about context. Yes, the Xbox One is selling decently, but you have to take into account the momentum gained over the last generation and how it was completely squandered or inverted with the release of the XB1. For example, if viewed in a vacuum, the Playstation 3 sold wonderfully last generation. But when you take into account that the Playstation 1 and 2 had such commanding leads in their respective generations, then the fact that the Playstation 3 was in an even foot race with the competition isn't so impressive. The same idea is true for the XB1.

Having said that, I suppose it depends to what scope your context is given. If your snapshot is of the XB1's unveiling to now, then I suppose they're doing well considering how many bullets they riddled their foot with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom