• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Should Human Stem Cells Be Used To Make Partly Human Chimeras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we put that money into research and science to improve the lives of humans and societies already on the planet before making hybrids?

Yes, in a world where people discriminate and kill over complexion and beliefs we should add to the differences between us. Surely that will go well!

I see Fury has already replied admitting he didn't fully read the article, but man, posts like these are why we can't have nice things. Stem cell research was (hell, still has been) held back for years because of unfounded fears.

Admittedly, the fault is on the scientific community as much as it is politicians and the general public; if scientists would communicate things more clearly and simply (seriously - the word chimera instills grandiose ideas far beyond what this article really is discussing) we may have fewer people pushing against advancing science.

wildfire

Banned
I'm ok with people genetically splicing themselves once they become an adult and the tech is available. I'm strongly against this for the unborn barring some apocalyptic virus (or the Flood ) we can't resist without splicing ourselves with another species.

Fury451

Banned
I see Fury has already replied admitting he didn't fully read the article, but man, posts like these are why we can't have nice things. Stem cell research was (hell, still has been) held back for years because of unfounded fears.

Admittedly, the fault is on the scientific community as much as it is politicians and the general public; if scientists would communicate things more clearly and simply (seriously - the word chimera instills grandiose ideas far beyond what this article really is discussing) we may have fewer people pushing against advancing science.

I should also clarify that it's not a fear of the research that was bothersome, rather because I misinterpreted the purpose of doing this kind of research to begin with. I'm definitely not opposed to advancing scientific breakthroughs in this area, but again my poor and brief read of it made it seem like these funds could be better spent in other areas of research.

Geist-

Scary title, but it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds. If it goes the way I think it would, they could breed animals with human organs for transplants and save countless lives.

Now, breeding animals with human-like intelligence, that's definitely a line I don't think we should be crossing.

Believe.
FuHHK4V.jpg

Nobody actually reads stuff like this. Better to use "scary" words like "Chimera". 2spooky4me.

mr2xxx

Banned
Growing a human ear on the back of a rat is fine for me but i started binging on FMA: Brotherhood this week so it makes me too biased right now.

Animal/animal chimeras have been a thing for decades now. Google sheep/goat chimera and read some of the stories leading up to the cloning of Dolly the Sheep.

Human/animal hybrids have also been a thing for a while. Read up on transgenic animals. I'm having trouble working out what exactly is new here.

What unfounded fears? I'm not against stem cell research, I'm just saying I know people are assholes and this is like opening the floodgates for new ways to discriminate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom