• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Should Human Stem Cells Be Used To Make Partly Human Chimeras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's a dog in a wig made to look like a character from the manga and subsequently anime Full Metal Alchemist, who is
a child permanently fused with a dog and reduced to a monster by her father who wanted a scientific break-through

Hold up... so people were laughing at people who didn't get a full Metal alchemist reference?

Where's that "this is neogaf" gif?

The first pic nails the first thing that popped in my head reading the thread title lol.

I don't know how to feel about this. The potential medical benefits sound exciting. On the other hand though, I can't imagine dealing with the ethical issues when we can't even treat all natural humans with respect.

Mesoian

I've read enough Keyman to know where this is going.

No, it's a bad idea. Even if we get catgirls and T-Rex detectives.

Guys just like their cartoons, I guess. I had no idea at all...

I understand you not getting the reference and that is fine. I am not big into anime at all, but Full Metal Alchemist is a series that really transcends media form. It is high quality and covers many, many moral quandaries. Both series are worth a watch and they used to be on Netflix, I haven't checked if they still are.

Frog-fu

Banned
eEc5eHX.jpg

You son of a bitch.

I will never get over this.

For more context if you plan to never watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pKY8UE0mQ

God this scene makes me fucking cry. So masterful.

I understand you not getting the reference and that is fine. I am not big into anime at all, but Full Metal Alchemist is a series that really transcends media form. It is high quality and covers many, many moral quandaries. Both series are worth a watch and they used to be on Netflix, I haven't checked if they still are.

The 2003 series is on Netflix in its entirety. Brotherhood is on Netflix up until the final 12 episodes or so, which is... I don't know why they don't have the full series. So if you wanted to watch it, you could get about 40 episodes in and then watch the last 12 some other way.

Kalentan

Yeah... going to have to go with FMAB on this...

NOPE. Let's not.

Like let's not... This has disaster written all over it. The many ways this could go wrong outweighs the good by ten fold.

doop_

Banned
Please do not remind me, i stopped watching after that episode. it traumatised me, i was just ten years old.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On a serious scientific note, I have literally no problem with this. We share 98.4% of our genetic material with chimps, making a rat go from iirc 31% to 33% or whatever does not fuss me.

Nivash

See. That's terrifying to me, Nivash. Not even from a moral perspective, because I haven't quite parsed out how I feel about it from an ethical point of view, but simply just the scientific implications seem striking. I imagine this was several years ago, from how you're talking about it.

5 years. I don't remember exactly how she said it happened, I think it was something about them not cleaning the equipment well enough or confusing petri dishes. It's not as if something could have come of it, there are genetic safeguards in place in the cell itself that stop cell division if the DNA is corrupted. I'm not even sure if it's true that it made it through even a few cell divisions or if she was just embellishing things for shock value.

That's a super cool story.

Yeah, she clearly thought so too. The lecture was about early embryology so while it wasn't a non-sequitor I think the part about not telling anyone wasn't very honest. She probably told the story to other medical people every chance she got, haha.

Fury451

Banned
How about we put that money into research and science to improve the lives of humans and societies already on the planet before making hybrids?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
we need eugenics, chimeras, robots, etc. then we'll have the future fantasy we've always dreamt of.

How about we put that money into research and science to improve the lives of humans and societies already on the planet before making hybrids?

The research is literally intended to improve the lives of humans and societies. Read the article...

I am on the fence about this. If they make something with human conscious and thought on accident, it would be very odd to me.

Reminds me of those fish/reptile hybrid farms used to make vr pods from that Cronenberg movie eXistenZ. I embrace this morally confusing shift and welcome our new chimera overlords.

existenz.jpg

butalala

Second year of med school we had a biomedical researcher holding a lecture. She ended it with this: "one time we accidentally impregnated a frog egg with human sperm and created a human/frog hybrid that lived for a few cell divisions, you probably shouldn't tell anyone".

Sounds like a pepe origin story.

Damn that dog. All I can see is that lump of bird/human flesh thing behind the curtain in that Fullmetal Alchemist episode. I think it was the same one with the dog. Ew. But yeah u say do it

Second year of med school we had a biomedical researcher holding a lecture. She ended it with this: "one time we accidentally impregnated a frog egg with human sperm and created a human/frog hybrid that lived for a few cell divisions, you probably shouldn't tell anyone".

It's been done.

I don't have any major objections to the principle but I agree that each implementation need to be done carefully. It's definitely frankenstein territory but the possible benefits are large enough that we shouldn't just toss it in the trash out of moral reactionism.

How the hell does one "accidently" do this? Either she was lying and it was intentional or one of the researchers really had to rub one out.

Nivash

How the hell does one "accidently" do this? Either she was lying and it was intentional or one of the researchers really had to rub one out.

Something about not cleaning instruments or confusing petri dishes. Might actually have been the spontaneous fusion of a human egg and a frog egg rather than conception now that I think about it. You'd surprised at the things that happen accidentally in the lab.

Something about not cleaning instruments or confusing petri dishes. Might actually have been the spontaneous fusion of a human egg and a frog egg rather than conception now that I think about it. You'd surprised at the things that happen accidentally in the lab.

So they were experiment with human sperm and didn't clean their instraments?

scust.png

Yes, in a world where people discriminate and kill over complexion and beliefs we should add to the differences between us. Surely that will go well!

clemenx

Banned
I don't know if people who don't get that picture reference are lucky for not getting it or not lucky because they've missed on FMA.

So fucking heartbreaking.

I already see it, Chimeras demanding full rights as humans. The only solution is to give full rights to animals. Hopefully, food factories using synthetic meat is already good at that time.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
It's going to happen somewhere where it isn't banned in the shadows so we (Western Civilization) better be ready for it.

Toxi

Banned
...That's the entire point of this research. It's for medical purposes.

Count me for it. There is no way a chimaera will be able to fully develop without being very similar to the original animal. Physiology is not LEGO. We are not going to create one with human consciousness.

What I want to know is, where are they getting these chimeras to mix human cells with? Are they mixing lions, goats, and snakes together first? There's the real story!

Fury451

Banned
The research is literally intended to improve the lives of humans and societies. Read the article...

I am on the fence about this. If they make something with human conscious and thought on accident, it would be very odd to me.

Yeah, I have to admit you got me on that one. I only had a chance to skim things, and I realize how stupid my comment was now.

This is part of that. Breed human hybrids that are immune to diseases and can regenerate limbs and the world will become a better place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom