• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of console games published per platform holder in 2023:Xbox 11, Playstation 5, Switch 14

gokurho

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
✅ Firewall Ultra
✅ Horizon: Call of the Mountain
✅ Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Editon

Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage
✅ Metroid Prime Remastered
✅ Kirby's Return to Dream Land
✅ Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
✅ Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
✅ The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch!
✅ Pikmin 4
✅ Pikmin 1+2
✅ F-Zero 99
✅ Detective Pikachu Returns
✅ Super Mario Bros. Wonder
✅ WarioWare: Move It!
✅ Super Mario RPG

Microsoft + Bethesda (Xbox Series):
✅ GoldenEye 007
✅ Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
✅ Minecraft Legends
✅ Age of Empires IV
✅ Forza Motorsport
✅ Killer Instinct
✅ Ghostwire: Tokyo
✅ Hi-Fi Rush
✅ Redfall
✅ Quake II Remaster
✅ Starfield

:messenger_die::messenger_die::messenger_die::messenger_8ball::messenger_crystal_ball::messenger_bicep::messenger_moon::messenger_clapping: :lollipop_halo:

Last edited:

NEbeast

Sony has been a disgrace this year. Would it really have killed Jimbo to have funded some AA games via Japan Studios? This AAA-reliant output is killing their previously consistent output.
MS bought Bethesda to get to those numbers, and their last couple of years were slow too. The selective memory is so boring. MS are about to get ABK too, so expect more of the same. Xbox fanboys are going to be cheering on consolidation for years to come.

Roberts

Man, if I was into Nintendo, I would be eating good.

MS had a good year, too. Shame about Legends not being good and Goldeneye just a crummy port.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Apparently they're counting game updates as "console games published" now.
Surely there were more updates than just KI?

Halo Infinite had updates, I assume Forza Horizon, Etc. Etc.

Did Sony not update anything all year?

Last edited:

Elios83

You can publish all the games you want but the goal should be them not being major disappointments or simple updates or re-releases of old stuff.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Ki was next gen update so that's why they're counting it, shouldn't really count along with horizon complete edition either.
Ah right, I didn't understand what the update was.

Thanks, I might take a look at KI now they've updated it, I haven't played it in years.

Last edited:
Sony has been a disgrace this year. Would it really have killed Jimbo to have funded some AA games via Japan Studios? This AAA-reliant output is killing their previously consistent output.
What do you think Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and the entirety of the China Hero Project is? Not all Japan, but Asia and will have a large payoff in the end. They've also rumoured to have an exclusive FromSoft game on the go, have Kojima's game out next year etc

Things take time.

As for my I'd take Spiderman 2 and Burning Shores over the entirety of Microsoft and Bethesda's list. We were expecting Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2 this year but they were delayed.

C'est La Vie

What an upsidedown world for GAF, Sony has no games confirmed.

Bing was close but no cigar.

OIG.XjKsmIVHFxoTdL4YI_fW

MS bought Bethesda to get to those numbers, and their last couple of years were slow too. The selective memory is so boring. MS are about to get ABK too, so expect more of the same. Xbox fanboys are going to be cheering on consolidation for years to come.

Yeah lots of games releasing day one subs and crossplay enabled with PC is terrible stuff for the industry. I hope Xbox revert to what Nintendo do (pure walled garden and inflated prices) or what Sony do (upgrade costs, late or never ports, bad ports and a funnel to their walled garden).

/S

Last edited:

SpokkX

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
✅ Firewall Ultra

Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch!
✅ Pikmin 4
✅ Pikmin 1+2
✅ F-Zero 99
✅ Super Mario RPG

✅ GoldenEye 007
✅ Minecraft Legends
✅ Age of Empires IV
✅ Forza Motorsport
✅ Killer Instinct
✅ Hi-Fi Rush
✅ Redfall
✅ Quake II Remaster
✅ Starfield

:messenger_die::messenger_die::messenger_die::messenger_8ball::messenger_crystal_ball::messenger_bicep::messenger_moon::messenger_clapping: :lollipop_halo:

Nintendo is on fire this year. Amazing output really. They are really reliable

Sony has a really slow year - however they have some notable third party exclusives that really "should" count like FF16 and Humanity

Xbox has a good year. List looks long but a lot of simple re-releases like AoE 2, Killen instinct, Quake 2 and Goldeneye (that said Quake 2 is the best game from MS this year imo)

SenkiDala

Apparently they're counting game updates as "console games published" now.
Well, to be fair they count the GOTY edition of HFW as a "new game" too.

Sony has been a disgrace the whole generation, but a few people are ready to admit it (or can see it).
HFW was disappointing, GOW Ragnarok was disappointing, GT7 too, Demon's Souls is good but it's a remake, Returnal is good.

Something people don't realize is 99% of Sony's best exclusives are 3rd party games. Since the beginning, and through the years they are losing them all, since the PS1 it always has been the same. They lost the exclusivity of :
- Ridge Racer
- Tekken
- Final Fantasy (going back and forth)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill (going back and forth too)
- Chrono series / Xeno series
- Persona
- SMT
- Resident Evil
- Spyro
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA

The studios they own are making great games but to me HFW, GOWR, GT7, are all just "good", sure graphically they're great but gameplay-wise, nothing that good since TLOU2 I'd say.

And look at their recent releases Spider-Man Remastered GOTY PS5 updated edition : 79.99€. TLOU part1 graphical update 79,99€, and what's their next release ? TLOU part2 PS5 graphical update which will probably be 79.99 too.

We have no other 1st party games announced than SM2 releasing this month and Wolverine and even if this releases in 2024, it'll be 1st party game. And even if now some games are announced and released in the same year, those are always "little" games or remasters/remakes, not AAA/AAAA games.

But sales are good so that's that. But how long will they be ? Being in an early PS3 era scenario in 2024 wouldn't be good for them.

Zathalus

Actual numbers not counting remakes and remasters are much closer. Although Sony first party is lacking a bit this year. Microsoft is way better then last year, but Starfield and Forza are not as good as some hoped.

Killjoy-NL

Well, to be fair they count the GOTY edition of HFW as a "new game" too.

Sony has been a disgrace the whole generation, but a few people are ready to admit it (or can see it).
HFW was disappointing, GOW Ragnarok was disappointing, GT7 too, Demon's Souls is good but it's a remake, Returnal is good.

Something people don't realize is 99% of Sony's best exclusives are 3rd party games. Since the beginning, and through the years they are losing them all, since the PS1 it always has been the same. They lost the exclusivity of :
- Ridge Racer
- Tekken
- Final Fantasy (going back and forth)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill (going back and forth too)
- Chrono series / Xeno series
- Persona
- SMT
- Resident Evil
- Spyro
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA

The studios they own are making great games but to me HFW, GOWR, GT7, are all just "good", sure graphically they're great but gameplay-wise, nothing that good since TLOU2 I'd say.

And look at their recent releases Spider-Man Remastered GOTY PS5 updated edition : 79.99€. TLOU part1 graphical update 79,99€, and what's their next release ? TLOU part2 PS5 graphical update which will probably be 79.99 too.

We have no other 1st party games announced than SM2 releasing this month and Wolverine and even if this releases in 2024, it'll be 1st party game. And even if now some games are announced and released in the same year, those are always "little" games or remasters/remakes, not AAA/AAAA games.

But sales are good so that's that. But how long will they be ? Being in an early PS3 era scenario in 2024 wouldn't be good for them.
Thing with Sony is that they release fewer games, but their big titles are literal system-sellers.
Although MS has a longer list, none of the titles on that list really move the needle in a meaningful way.
It's a matter of quality over quantity and Sony knows it. Spider-Man 2 will be a system-seller as well later this month.

But this does show why Sony is going to release more GaaS. There are big gaps between their major titles, so they need something to fill the gaps and provide a steady revenue.

As for Nintendo, that's a whole different story.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
✅ Firewall Ultra

Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch!
✅ Pikmin 4
✅ Pikmin 1+2
✅ F-Zero 99
✅ Super Mario RPG

✅ GoldenEye 007
✅ Minecraft Legends
✅ Age of Empires IV
✅ Forza Motorsport
✅ Killer Instinct
✅ Hi-Fi Rush
✅ Redfall
✅ Quake II Remaster
✅ Starfield

Microsoft definitely had more than Sony but some of these are an obvious stretch. Goldeneye , killer instinct , ghostwire and quake 2 i wouldn't count

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Total bullshit including a VR game. That requires a niche addon. Putting old games on the MS list is fucking terrible too.

Whatever, there have been a ton of great games this year and my backlog is going to keep me entertained if there is ever a lull in output.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Combing their handheld and console game development resources into a single platform has really helped them with Switch. I can still remember all those Wii U era droughts... *shudders*.
If it wasn't for the re-release of Wii U games the Switch could have been labelled the same near the start. Luckily for Switch only idiots (myself included) bought the Wii U.

Flutta

Banned
Buying up the industry tend to add more games to your library. Who would hve through.

Sony started out good but looks like the investment on GaaS games impacted the rest of their output.

Hermen needs to go. Simple as that. Dude is running PS Studios like a monkey.

Nintendo having the most games and wasting less money of the 3 is interesting. I salute 🫡 u.

Last edited:
Top Bottom