• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of console games published per platform holder in 2023:Xbox 11, Playstation 5, Switch 14

RickMasters

I will say though……. I do find Sonys performance in general to be very…… how should I say this?…. un-Sony like.

Yes they are selling like hot cakes but, and that’s great for them, but They used to be the company that made a few new Exciting IPs every gen.

Lately it just seems like remasters and sequels to their big sellers….. which is normally they type of thing we say about EA and Ubisoft.

They are playing it safe with AAA and this shift to gaas focus really is not gonna satisfy what their core customers want…. Big budget, cinematic games single player games. Final fantasy, last of us etc.

But then…. given that AAA games are all about risk aversion they risk creative stagnation by making such games with the focus on returns. They will take less chances, if it means profit. But on the other gaas is steady stream of high income if it works. They are taking business risks but not creative risks.

They should have some AA teams or something to pad out the time between these big expensive games that require a tonne of mocap and actors etc. smaller games with a more regular release Cadance in between big hitters. We are already seeing MS do this because gamepass has taken them there. But it’s obvious that for these companies to run their business without wasting so much money while still innovating they need to double down in the the AA space where they can take more risks.

Honestly…. Yet another spider man game… I’m sure it will be good but it’s yet another Spider-Man game. DLC for their biggest game last year. I’m used to seeing them be more active. Atleast they had some big third party exclusives to fill the void. That Atleast gave their fans something to shout about. But overall They have been pretty sloppy compared to how they usually do things.

Nubulax

Well, to be fair they count the GOTY edition of HFW as a "new game" too.

Sony has been a disgrace the whole generation, but a few people are ready to admit it (or can see it).
HFW was disappointing, GOW Ragnarok was disappointing, GT7 too, Demon's Souls is good but it's a remake, Returnal is good.

Something people don't realize is 99% of Sony's best exclusives are 3rd party games. Since the beginning, and through the years they are losing them all, since the PS1 it always has been the same. They lost the exclusivity of :
- Ridge Racer
- Tekken
- Final Fantasy (going back and forth)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill (going back and forth too)
- Chrono series / Xeno series
- Persona
- SMT
- Resident Evil
- Spyro
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA

The studios they own are making great games but to me HFW, GOWR, GT7, are all just "good", sure graphically they're great but gameplay-wise, nothing that good since TLOU2 I'd say.

And look at their recent releases Spider-Man Remastered GOTY PS5 updated edition : 79.99€. TLOU part1 graphical update 79,99€, and what's their next release ? TLOU part2 PS5 graphical update which will probably be 79.99 too.

We have no other 1st party games announced than SM2 releasing this month and Wolverine and even if this releases in 2024, it'll be 1st party game. And even if now some games are announced and released in the same year, those are always "little" games or remasters/remakes, not AAA/AAAA games.

But sales are good so that's that. But how long will they be ? Being in an early PS3 era scenario in 2024 wouldn't be good for them.
They wont ever be in a "early ps3 era scenario" with PS5.. you know why? They didnt release a year after XBOX and have a more expensive console and are slaugtering XBOX in sales.... and half or more of the XBOX console base has a Series S which is like a inbetween generational console and is clearly impacting/holding back some 3rd party and arguably 1st party games. Part of the problem with the PS3 was it was very hard to develop for and PS5 is the complete opposite

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage
✅ Metroid Prime Remastered
✅ Kirby's Return to Dream Land
✅ Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
✅ Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
✅ The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch!
✅ Pikmin 4
✅ Pikmin 1+2
✅ F-Zero 99
✅ Detective Pikachu Returns
✅ Super Mario Bros. Wonder
✅ WarioWare: Move It!
✅ Super Mario RPG
Hey, did you not know? If it isn't Pokemon, Mario or Zelda it doesn't count. IDK why, but internet told me.

OT, I'm happy to see how unified home + handheld consoles development is paying off for Nintendo.

How many of those games are you buying though?
The only relevant ones I see are FE Engage, Metroid REMASTER (neither of which have ever been big sellers) Detective Pikachu (and I know core gamers aren't messing with that) Zelda and Mario Wonder.

Pikmin 4 was in development since before the Switch released, has sold close to a million physical copies already in Japan alone, and has an 87 on MC (90 for users).

Mario RPG is a remake and will sell decently.

I’m personally a big fan of the WarioWare series, but won’t pretend that’s a major title for others.

Outside 1 or 2 duds, it’s been a great year so far for the type of games I enjoy.

RickMasters

And people can add Destiny 2: Eclipse.
(Why adding Mojang + Bethesda, if you ignore Bungie?)
This is some lowest plateform wars... ignoring some release (and re-release via PSVR2 or PC port) for Sony, but adding port and retro / remaster / update (lmao) for Nintendo or Xbox.
Well I suppose you can add destiny as long as your ego is ok with it. List wars are usually about exclusives.

This is just an indicator of who has factually put out more software. If you want to include destiny DLC go for it. I play the game on Xbox and have no issue with you framing it like that. Technically Sony are publishing that game and DLC on Xbox so you are not wrong….just like MS are publishing fallout76, ESO: online, Minecraft and as of next week COD on PlayStation. Sony will be publishing bungie games on Xbox.

It doesn’t matter that bungie was once independent…. Or that the game that put them in the map was funded by Microsoft and helped launch the Xbox…… Sony own them now….. it doesn’t matter that some people used to play Bethesda games on PlayStation in spite of the fact that Bethesda has always been like a second party to Xbox…. They made it all of oak and own them now. It doesn’t matter that they were independent before. They got squired and got paid. They are not sitting there telling them selves they are not part of Xbox. Matter of fact if MS swooped In even earlier than they did you might have never gotten deathloop or ghost wire on PlayStation.

I really wish people would stop doing that. Business is business. When you buy something usually you own it. That’s how it goes. What’s the issue?

LakeOf9

Well I suppose you can add destiny as long as your ego is ok with it. List wars are usually about exclusives.

This is just an indicator of who has factually put out more software. If you want to include destiny DLC go for it. I play the game on Xbox and have no issue with you framing it like that. Technically Sony are publishing that game and DLC on Xbox so you are not wrong….just like MS are publishing fallout76, ESO: online, Minecraft and as of next week COD on PlayStation. Sony will be publishing bungie games on Xbox.

It doesn’t matter that bungie was once independent…. Or that the game that put them in the map was funded by Microsoft and helped launch the Xbox…… Sony own them now….. it doesn’t matter that some people used to play Bethesda games on PlayStation in spite of the fact that Bethesda has always been like a second party to Xbox…. They made it all of oak and own them now. It doesn’t matter that they were independent before. They got squired and got paid. They are not sitting there telling them selves they are not part of Xbox. Matter of fact if MS swooped In even earlier than they did you might have never gotten deathloop or ghost wire on PlayStation.

I really wish people would stop doing that. Business is business. When you buy something usually you own it. That’s how it goes. What’s the issue?
Then you’d have to remove Goldeneye, Quake, and Ghostwire from the Xbox lists

And Final Fantasy XVI is published by Sony in some parts of Asia, so...
Pretending that Pokémon and FF’s first party status is anywhere close to alike is so salty and disingenuous

RickMasters

Says the shill.
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

How original….. shill? Finally decided to come from behind that laughing emoji? Lol, You are such a teenager. It’s called the games INDUSTRY….. maybe just stick to playing games and being emotional and let the grown ups discus the biz side?if you don’t like what you read just move along. It’s not hard. Also…. I don’t do the name calling thing over the internet I think it’s corny. Leave all that out….So I guess that makes you corny and unoriginal 😂😂😂

nial

Gold Member
Pretending that Pokémon and FF’s first party status is anywhere close to alike is so salty and disingenuous
Right, Nintendo doesn't fully own Pokémon (not that I think they aren't a great contributor to the growth of the video game series, but that's another matter).

RickMasters

Then you’d have to remove Goldeneye, Quake, and Ghostwire from the Xbox lists

Question…… who owns those games right now? Who published them right now? If the answe is MS….. they stay in the list. It’s a list of what they CURRENTLY have published in 2023.

Why are people doing mental gymnastics over this? It doesn’t change the facts.

Lol…never mind… forget I said anything .. I’m gonna go to beach,man……. This thread is getting loopy. 😵‍💫😅😅

drganon

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

How original….. shill? Finally decided to come from behind that laughing emoji? Lol, You are such a teenager. It’s called the games INDUSTRY….. maybe just stick to playing games and being emotional and let the grown ups discus the biz side?if you don’t like what you read just move along. It’s not hard. Also…. I don’t do the name calling thing over the internet I think it’s corny. Leave all that out….So I guess that makes you corny and unoriginal 😂😂😂
What a load of bullshit. Most "grown ups" aren't pathetic corporate shills like you. If you don't like being called one, quit acting like one.

And Final Fantasy XVI is published by Sony in some parts of Asia, so...

That’s a silly comparison, but I personally think it should be on Sony’s list for other reasons. They paid for it to remain exclusive and I believe they helped with the development at some stage? I get it’s not technically the same as the others, but I think most would see it as a Sony game.

nial

Gold Member
That’s a silly comparison, but I personally think it should be on Sony’s list for other reasons. They paid for it to remain exclusive and I believe they helped with the development at some stage? I get it’s not technically the same as the others, but I think most would see it as a Sony game.
I don't view it as a silly comparison, but if you think FFXVI should also be on the list (something I don't agree with), then let's just agree to disagree.

Flutta

Banned
games are not free to make nor magically created.

Making games is actually pretty damn hard.

Sony is trying to figure out GaaS pipeline/infrastructure.

That monkey gave a master class at how to run a studio, create a oversee the creation of a new IP and developing its own tech. Decima is the most versatile First Party Engine period.

Nintendo is the autistic genius.

Oh man i thought creating games was free. You learn something new everyday.

Wow really? How could i assume that making games was easy… i’m so shocked 😮. you def opened my eyes there Mr Chirizo 🌭

While Sony is trying to figure out shit i will critisize them untill they do. Is that ok with you?

Not sure about master class. Killzone is basically dead, Horizon is average at best. Decima is def a good engine doubt he was the one who created lt. Either way that monkey can def ”run” a studio, but overseen multiple doesn’t seem to be his fortay.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As much as I love Sony, they are boring beyond reason this gen and I say that as someone who owns PSVR2 and wants the Portal. I freaking love their hardware but their game output is absolutely pathetic to me.

Last edited:
sony has been disappointing this gen, they continue to put out movie games that lack content. i dont care about spending a lot on budget when you barely get to actually play and its mostly cutscenes and things being done for you(automated) even in the gameplay.
Yep dragons lair with polygons

squarealex

Well I suppose you can add destiny as long as your ego is ok with it.

That's not a "ego problem", but you can add "Sylphon Filter Trilogy" on this way.. but you know is ridiculous.
My problem with this, on this tweet the guy adding some retro games (GoldenEyE, Age of Empire II and Quake II seriously ?), "patch" games (Killer Instinct), port games (Ghostwire was release last year on PS5/PC, same for Age of Empires IV)..
I think we all know 2023 was some weakest Sony years, but against that with games that are port, 2, 5, 10, 20 years old for the opponent is ridiculous.

Oh man i thought creating games was free. You learn something new everyday.
your are welcome. Now go and spread my teachings to those who think that MS is going release AAA games every week.😆
Wow really? How could i assume that making games was easy… i’m so shocked 😮. you def opened my eyes there Mr Chirizo 🌭
As mentioned above, my child, use this knowledge to help enlighten other lost souls who believe that "buying up the industry" guarantees success.

While Sony is trying to figure out shit i will critisize them untill they do. Is that ok with you?
You have my permission son.

Not sure about master class. Killzone is basically dead, Horizon is average at best. Decima is def a good engine doubt he was the one who created lt. Either way that monkey can def ”run” a studio, but overseen multiple doesn’t seem to be his fortay.
It doesn't matter if you like those games or not. The point is that the studio went from an FPS genre to a Third-Person Open World new IP, which is definitely more popular than the former. Plus, Decima was used by other studios outside Guerrilla, implying it has enough documentation for other teams to actually be able to make games on it.

Spitfire098

Damn all these game releases, xbox must be blazing past their competitors. Must be selling more consoles than ps5 and switch this year.

Xbox has 33 studios now with abk. They have enough to delivery a game every 2 months at least. They willl have a lot of bangers.
Not all those studios are core gaming studios, a lot of them are support studios for COD and some are mobile gaming studios which I don't think Gaffers will give any credit for.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Do you know which 3 companies founded (and co-own) The Pokémon Company?
Sony have stock in FromSoftware so what did you think of Sony's Elden Ring game?

Edit: For clarification I don't think Sony made Elden Ring.

The list warz is like a broken record... missing the point.

Last edited:
I will say though……. I do find Sonys performance in general to be very…… how should I say this?…. un-Sony like.

Yes they are selling like hot cakes but, and that’s great for them, but They used to be the company that made a few new Exciting IPs every gen.

Lately it just seems like remasters and sequels to their big sellers….. which is normally they type of thing we say about EA and Ubisoft.

They are playing it safe with AAA and this shift to gaas focus really is not gonna satisfy what their core customers want…. Big budget, cinematic games single player games. Final fantasy, last of us etc.

But then…. given that AAA games are all about risk aversion they risk creative stagnation by making such games with the focus on returns. They will take less chances, if it means profit. But on the other gaas is steady stream of high income if it works. They are taking business risks but not creative risks.

They should have some AA teams or something to pad out the time between these big expensive games that require a tonne of mocap and actors etc. smaller games with a more regular release Cadance in between big hitters. We are already seeing MS do this because gamepass has taken them there. But it’s obvious that for these companies to run their business without wasting so much money while still innovating they need to double down in the the AA space where they can take more risks.

Honestly…. Yet another spider man game… I’m sure it will be good but it’s yet another Spider-Man game. DLC for their biggest game last year. I’m used to seeing them be more active. Atleast they had some big third party exclusives to fill the void. That Atleast gave their fans something to shout about. But overall They have been pretty sloppy compared to how they usually do things.
Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Bend are all working on new IP.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's almost like now that Microsoft can, and will, publish a higher number of games every year, their competitor needs to make big games that counter that advantage. Hmmm...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I miss the weird, risky Sony of the PS1-PS3 days. I've easily used my PS5 the least out of the four modern platforms I play on, which is a shame because I absolutely love the controller. Been eatin real good on Switch, though. Mario Wonder is gonna be the cherry on top of a great year.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They founded and co-own the company, they didn’t invest in stock :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I didn't know Sony founded From 😂😂😂

I wish Nintendo fully owned the Pokemon Company and then the lazy cunt devs would make an effort with their games than spend over two decades making the same fucking game. I couldn't see Nintendo allowing such laziness for that length of time with their own efforts.

Phase

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23 - crazy they still make these, same trash
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 - more of the same
✅ Firewall Ultra - okay another VR title
✅ Horizon: Call of the Mountain - VR of the same shit
✅ Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Editon - repackaged same thing

Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage - yet another fire emblem game...
✅ Metroid Prime Remastered - a remaster
✅ Kirby's Return to Dream Land - more of the same
✅ Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - prequel, but nothing new
✅ Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp - great...
✅ The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - BOTW 2 in basically every respect
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch! - who cares
✅ Pikmin 4 - more of the same
✅ Pikmin 1+2 - already came out years ago
✅ F-Zero 99 - actually cool, still not a new game
✅ Detective Pikachu Returns - whatever
✅ Super Mario Bros. Wonder - okay sure
✅ WarioWare: Move It! - more stupid shit
✅ Super Mario RPG - remake

Microsoft + Bethesda (Xbox Series):
✅ GoldenEye 007 - no way really? stupid
✅ Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - nobody cares
✅ Minecraft Legends - nobody cares
✅ Age of Empires IV - not new, just a rerelease
✅ Forza Motorsport - more of the same
✅ Killer Instinct- remake
✅ Ghostwire: Tokyo - decent
✅ Hi-Fi Rush - decent
✅ Redfall - trash
✅ Quake II Remaster - old af, who cares even from a quake superfan
✅ Starfield - trash

I don't know how anyone could make this list and think it's anything other than depressing. There's nothing exciting about almost anything in this list. Sad times.

And people can add Destiny 2: Eclipse.
(Why adding Mojang + Bethesda, if you ignore Bungie?)
This is some lowest plateform wars... ignoring some release (and re-release via PSVR2 or PC port) for Sony, but adding port and retro / remaster / update (lmao) for Nintendo or Xbox.
You Sony guys get so desperate you guy count dlcs. This is sad and pathetic.

Last edited:
Sony is definitely being carried by some great IP and a handful of amazing studios. A lot of bad decisions and whiffs otherwise, remember PSVR2?

Nintendo easily the top dog right now. Their new console and next few years are huge. If they keep up their momentum then the Switch 2 is gonna be something special.

Jubenhimer

True.

Nintendo even with higher number of games will offer most amount of drought.

Not to mention an overdose of Mario art style will do a number on you.

About time they catch up to Series S with next Switch and allow 3rd party to make games for it.
It's not like the lack of big AAA third party titles had really hurt the Switch though. Indies and AAs have been on fire this gen, and a good majority of them are on Switch.

Nobody complained when the GBA or DS wasn't getting every big console AAA game.

Top Bottom