• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia does not care about you

I care about you, though

Friends Hug GIF by MOODMAN

DaGwaphics

Well the chip shortages means, that chips are going to be allocated between both SKUs...
True. But at least half of them should be on the table now. Should take some of the bite out of the scalping since crypto miners will generally pay a higher price than a gamer would.

kyliethicc

A brilliant move by Nvidia.

1a. limit normal 3060 gamers ability to make some side $$ by mining
1b. don't actually limit miners real ability to mine

2. sell shitty leftover dies to miners for quick short term $$$ as "mining cards"

3a. prevent miners from reselling these cards to gamers later
3b. reduce supply of used gaming cards, pushing buyers to buy new cards

4. get easy good PR by pretending to care

5. profit

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If you believe it's only nvidia, and not the other companies who wouldn't give a fuck about you, no matter hardware or console platform, then you aren't just a clown.

You are the entire circus.
Well it was response to claims that it's a good thing earlier today, so. I know kind of reactionary.

x@3f*oo_e!

One of our own already said this , even better :

BgQ00Zf.png

No big corporation is your friend, you are just a source of income. AMD doesn't care about you, or Microsoft, or Sony or Nintendo. They only care that you are giving them an income, some are just better than others at making you think they are doing it for you.

Linus does not care about you either by the way, you are just a product to his advertisers.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well it was response to claims that it's a good thing earlier today, so. I know kind of reactionary.

One of our own already said this , even better :

BgQ00Zf.png

Makes a lot more sense now. Lol how embarrassing of Nvidia, and this comes from a team Green fanboy.

martino

No big corporation is your friend, you are just a source of income. AMD doesn't care about you, or Microsoft, or Sony or Nintendo. They only care that you are giving them an income, some are just better than others at making you think they are doing it for you.

Linus does not care about you either by the way, you are just a product to his advertisers.
Of course

DaGwaphics

So what's the over-under on how long it takes before cryptominers hack these new cards and use them to mine anyway? 2 weeks? 3 or 4? Probably a relatively short window unless Nvidia has worked some circuit level encryption into the mix for securing the bios.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He's 100% right. It's really a bullshit move by Nvidia from a consumer perspective. I wonder if this will help AMD at all (yeah right).

my comment to this was:
Linus: complained about NVIDIA care about it's stock price and say that it's bad.
also Linus 15 seconds later: do an advertising

He never claimed it was bad to try to make money. This is a ridiculous take.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barakov

Very good video, about spliting the production line between gaming GPUs and crypto mining oriented GPUs

In nutshell:

- No second market
- No second life of the card
- Ensuring that landifill is going to get bigger

I think it deserves it's own thread.

WE KNOW. Until AMD gets their cards up to snuff, Nvidia cards are the way to go.

raduque

I don't actually care that nVidia doesn't care about me.

I like anything that cripples greedy fucks. I really hope they have done some extremely difficult encryption on these BIOSes and drivers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Very good video, about spliting the production line between gaming GPUs and crypto mining oriented GPUs

In nutshell:

- No second market
- No second life of the card
- Ensuring that landifill is going to get bigger

I think it deserves it's own thread.

Maybe they shouldn't sell mining cards period. Just gimp them and that's it. I can't say I care too much about the waste miners produce. The whole thing is waste.

It's still good for gamers. Gamers by gaming cards and sell them on the used market. With less used cards from crypto the prices will be a little better for the sellers.

Its better for Nvidia because they can track each market independently and gouge the fucking miners.

MMaRsu

Banned
Maybe they shouldn't sell mining cards period. Just gimp them and that's it. I can't say I care too much about the waste miners produce. The whole thing is waste.

It's still good for gamers. Gamers by gaming cards and sell them on the used market. With less used cards from crypto the prices will be a little better for the sellers.

Its better for Nvidia because they can track each market independently and gouge the fucking miners.
And there will be less gaming cards because of this

Replace Nvidia with any company name and internalize it. Once you’ve come to grips with it, you’ll be surprised how much clearer your understanding of the world becomes and you’ll also eliminate 90% of the threads asking “why would XX company do this or that”.

Durask

Just for the hell of it decided to check to see what's in stock.
Newegg, Amazon, all the big online stores, also our local Microcenter.

There is nothing. Some weird crap cards like GT 1030 and GT 710 (I have no idea why they exist). That's it.

I do not think I've ever seen it like this.

Is it demand? Supply?
Even stuff like 1650 and 1660 is gone, I don't think you can mine much on those...

Just for the hell of it decided to check to see what's in stock.
Newegg, Amazon, all the big online stores, also our local Microcenter.

There is nothing. Some weird crap cards like GT 1030 and GT 710 (I have no idea why they exist). That's it.

I do not think I've ever seen it like this.

Is it demand? Supply?
Even stuff like 1650 and 1660 is gone, I don't think you can mine much on those...

People who are building for the first time due to the lockdowns are grabbing whatever they can get at this point. I was in my local shop back when the 30 series cards first launched and a guy that came in for a 3080 left with a 2060 because the store had nothing better left in stock. He ended up just getting that card because everything else was ready to go.

It was a perfect storm really.

- regulation on mining resources is causing the cost of mining resources to go up and production to slow down
- flu season happened so lockdowns will never end, stuck at home people need something to do so every device is selling gangbusters due to lockdowns
- Crypto value is ballooning as financial markets tied to central banks are looking pretty shit right now causing a surge in mining

I see it getting a lot worse before it gets better.

Nvidia knows they are popular when they do literally anything and start getting dragged by someone for it. This must be what being Apple is like.

I’ve been driving by their new hq while they were building it for the past few years since I live 5 miles away. Looks expensive.

I’m shocked to hear they are all about money. Who are the recent Linus sponsors btw?

Top Bottom