• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia does not care about you

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don't disagree that this is not necessarely a pro-consumer move, but is it really anti-consumer though?

If your product is becoming effectively dual purpose (and one of the two sides of the market is completely overshadowing the other), it's not all that strange to differentiate your offer to cater more directly to one side of the other.

I mean, sure it sucks for those people who wanted to use GPUs both for gaming and for mining, but how wide is that bracket of people really? And this definitely will "help" the gaming side of the market to some extent. So it's really hard to gauge how much of a net positive or negative it will be overall.

The point is, cryptomining is in a bidding war for the same resources as PC gaming, and the situation is serious enough that if nothing changes in the next 2-3 years, the gaming market as a whole will start to really feel the ripercussions in terms of lost customers and revenue. So companies that operate in the gaming market moving in a protectionist way to artificially separate the two and give some breathing room to gaming has a lot more to it than "muh removed features".

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
❌This video is about companies not caring about consumers

✅This video is about NVidia recently claiming they care about gamers, and why what they’ve done is actually worse both for consumers and the environment

I read about this a few weeks back. I don't know, this seems like a good idea to me. Crypto miners get their own gpus and gamers get their own. I don't see a problem with this.

martino

❌This video is about companies not caring about consumers

✅This video is about NVidia recently claiming they care about gamers, and why what they’ve done is actually worse both for consumers and the environment
we can argue title is click bait vague but it helps to reveal people not watching the whole video too.

Rathalos

Banned
They made it pretty obvious when they sold $175m worth of cards directly to miners when gamers are desperate to get one of their cards.

Durask

One thing though it is to Nvidia's benefit to separate mining market and gaming market simply because it is easier to gauge supply and demand and make predictions for the future that way.

Darius87 Darius87 / @Darius1987 from IG.

Do i need to report you for stalking every one of my posts?

Then again, your tag...

md6pk5z.png

LAyLuwV.png

horkrux

crying about less gpus coming to ebay is the wildest of takes
I want a gpu when I want it, not when the miners decide they're going to dump their shit.

and still remains the question, unanswered, what critics would want nvidia to do instead. nothing?

Darius87

Darius87 Darius87 / @Darius1987 from IG.

Do i need to report you for stalking every one of my posts?

Then again, your tag...

md6pk5z.png

LAyLuwV.png
you calling me salty for unknown reason? you spend money just to give me a tag it's like i hurt you somewhere? it's must be your feelings now seems you're on vendetta and derailing threads for no reason, good job keep up.
Lol 🤣 I had a feeling the triggered guy Darius87 Darius87 would drop the daily emotes on my posts, as usual. Don't worry, I bought another year of gold, just to get you a fitting, custom tag. Hope you enjoy it!
also did you figure it our who i am? because i'm not this guy you were looking for
ld1UPvk.jpg

I'm going to put you as my profile picture to show my appreciation to your love for me. I'm guessing the one in the middle? All I had to do is Google your user name and this is the first result. Anyways, let me know! I'd love to show my support back.
i mean how desperate you're to find real me? you might wanna to hire private detective that's another 100 years of gold just for that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
It is actually not THAT hard to get a 3070 or 3080 if you really want one and if you got microcenter at your city. I got a 3070 on my second time lining up at microcnetr at 8:00 am ish on a restock day. Now of course if you really want a 3080 you might need to be there at like 3-4 am but if one really want it at srp it is there.

CitizenZ

Banned
If you grow up blue collar, I think this is day one knowledge(along with Gov not giving a fck), but why does it need reminded to others day in and day out?

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I read about this a few weeks back. I don't know, this seems like a good idea to me. Crypto miners get their own gpus and gamers get their own. I don't see a problem with this.
Companies like Nvidia book capacity at the fabs well in advance and compete with other companies for that capacity. This will just take capacity from gaming gpus(assuming theyre availablr anyway lol).

//DEVIL//

I got the chance to buy a 6800 for the same price of 3070 MSRP.

Honestly no regrets at all. the performance on this card is friggin amazing. sometimes close to a 3080 in some games. and 16 gig of ram is more than enough for any game and even emulation.

The only thing its missing is a DLSS like on the AMD side. and I am sure something will come up very soon.

I got the MSI trio X and that card at 2k 144 frames doesn't even reach 57 degrees. what a fucking beast.

for me, the 3070 doesn't have enough Vram. the 3080 barely cuts it in terms of VRAM and still barely enough. 3090 is too much.

Nvidia needs a 3070ti or 3080ti. and knowing these cards will be crippled in mining, that is a big pass from me. if they continue this trend with all their cards, i will probably stick with AMD for a while.

I am sorry but i don't see the problem in mining when i am not gaming and get few 100s in the span of a couple of months to make up for the price of the card

Last edited:

YCoCg

It is actually not THAT hard to get a 3070 or 3080 if you really want one and if you got microcenter at your city. I got a 3070 on my second time lining up at microcnetr at 8:00 am ish on a restock day.
You know there's places other than America right? I've had stock notices on 3070's on multiple websites now and not a single one has pinged over the past two months.

Kenpachii

Comes from a dude that calls nvidia hitler.

Why anybody still watches his trash video's that are just made for clicks is beyond me.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Most are not "the same".
Some do engage in terrifyingly stinky practices, many do not.
Intel and nVidai are certainly among world finalists in "the lowest you can get" competition.
Tell me what company just doesn't see me as a loving wallet.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I fucked it up with that thread title, I thought I was being smart as in reaction to people who are claming "praise nVidia, age of miners are done", now this thread outlive all those other threads and I look...less that ideal, which obviously hurts my little ego.

llien

Tell me what company just doesn't see me as a loving wallet.
I happen to belong to those people who don't care about you, or your wallet, no offense.
I do care when a company tries to strong arm journalists.
Or strong arm manufacturers.
Or find yet another innovative dirty way to get an edge against competitor.

Last edited:

martino

I happen to belong to those people who don't care about you, or your wallet, no offense.
I do care when a company tries to strong arm journalists.
Or strong arm manufacturers.
Or find yet another innovative dirty way to get an edge against competitor.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom