• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] A Plague Tale: Requiem - 120fps Patch tested on PS5, Xbox Series X|S & PC Technical Review

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Asobo delivered one of the standout games of 2022 in Requiem, itself a sequel to the great opening chapter in A plagues tale innocence. They have now seen fit to blow past the old 40fps limits on consoles with a whopping 120fps performance mode update to PS5 & Series X players. I put all consoles and PC through the test bed to see if this generation is really going to be limited to 30fps and do the Series S players get any nibbles?

Chapters
0:00 Introduction and video contents
0:37 The 30fps Conundrum on console and PC
2:30 Visual changes, sacrifices PS5, Xbox Series X|S
6:30 Summary of mode changes and visual wrap-up
9:10 PS5 vs Xbox Series X Quality mode performance test
13:40 PS5 vs Xbox Series X Performance mode test
17:00 Series S Single mode performance update test
17:46 PC new modes tested and benefits
20:30 Thanks and until next time

Last edited:

Duchess

So what are the trade offs in the end ?
Seemingly, reduced resolution, reduced animations, removal of some objects, and cut down rat density.

I've not played it yet, but I don't think I'd actually notice until I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Riky

$MSFT
Good performance on Series X, even touched 120fps at times and always good enough for VRR on a 120hz output. Very impressive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL-DR

- Perf mode drops native res to 1080p which is then reconstructed to 4K (Quality is 1440p).
- LoD, foliage, shadow, SSR, AO, animations receive some cut backs to reach the performance mode targets.
- Reduction is visible but not that drastic.
- Rat counts are run at half rate animation (30hz) in Performance mode

Quality Mode:
- Between patch 1.04 and 1.05, PS5 sees 3% improvement in performance in the 40hz Quality mode.
- SX still sees an 8 to 10% performance advantage in Quality mode but the gap is much lower than at launch between the two.

Performance Mode:
- Performance mode targets 120fps on 120hz displays.
- But if you want a locked 60fps, set your console to 60hz and its practically 100% locked.
- In the 120hz mode: SX can have a 8~15% performance advantage at highest point.

- Series S still only has 1 mode but it 'gains' as well
- 120hz 'unlocks' FPS, but far below the other consoles.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Great stuff they did with the performance upgrade. It really didn't run well at first on PS5 with dips into the mid 20s in the Quality Mode but now it seems to always remain above 30fps even in the busiest scenes.

The unlocked frame rate mode is kind of strange. They did way too many cutbacks and left a lot of performance on the table. No point for this game to be running at 90fps when you could enhance the graphics and get it down to 60fps.

Fbh

Having a 60fps option is great but some of the cutbacks made seem rather big considering they are seemingly still getting 80+ fps even during the heaviest scenes. Makes you wonder if they could have still hit that 60fps target without cutting back the foliage and LOD this much.

Reallink

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nice work Asobo.
They have their heads around DX12.
Pug GIF

They literally nuked 75% of the foliage.

lucbr

Very good analysis! He makes his point and argues that a future of 30fps gaming is not inevitable. He also points out that developers have a high knowledge of Series X and DirectX 12, and that a closed plataform like those of consoles brings benefits, illustrating the good performance of Series X even compared to some graphics cards.

PlayStation 5 performance improved a lot and Series S got benefits as well. It's a great patch for everyone. Congrats to Asobo!

Last edited:

Neo_game

Console performance mode is still bad, they should have optimized it for fixed 60fps having quality mode settings.

Pug GIF

They literally nuked 75% of the foliage.
I was talking about how they actually did a good job with the PC and Xbox versions. All that work on Flight Sim made them pretty decent working on DX12.

As for the frame rate, their engine produces beautiful visuals, but it's not well optimised for CPU.

Last edited:
This is the kind of thing that's going to make me stop buying games at launch, the game was fine but I'm not going to go back and play it again. This kind of thing should be available when the game launches not 7 months later.

Duchess

This is the kind of thing that's going to make me stop buying games at launch
I now wait a minimum of 3 months before buying a new game. I always suspected that Requiem would get a 60fps update, so glad I waited. I'll probably wait a little more, in case another patch happens by that makes a few more improvements.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Funny enough, NXGamer directly said that line in the video. About Asobo having their hands (or heads?) around DX12 well.
That's fine, but I don't think reducing 75% of foliage and a major drop in resolution is a head around anything. It's literally dropping things down so low.

Give them stutterReal engine in DX12 and let's see what they can do.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's fine, but I don't think reducing 75% of foliage and a major drop in resolution is a head around anything. It's literally dropping things down so low.

Give them stutterReal engine in DX12 and let's see what they can do.
Well the resolution is dropping 75% while they are trying to increase the framerate by 100% so they need to find that extra 25% from somewhere else. Foliage is one of the most taxing settings on the GPU so I get it. Looks like the game goes all the way up to 80 fps so they probably shouldve implemented some kind of DRS but this is one of the better 60 fps modes. Forspoken, Dead Space and Star Wars are all hitting 720p in their performance modes. Even Sony games had to drop resolution by 100% to get double the framerate.

For example, the native 4k 30 fps fidelity mode in Spiderman Miles can drop to 1080p at times while staying at 1440p most of the time. A 100-200% drop in resolution. It also downgrades the RT quality, the number of pedestrians on screen on top of the drop in resolution.

HFW goes from native 4k to 1800cb which is even lower than 1440p. So again, a massive 150% drop in resolution plus some reduction in foliage (though not nearly as drastic as Plague's tale) just to increase the framerate by a 100%.

Demon Souls and TLOU both drop resolution by 100% in their performance modes in order to get a 100% increase in framerate. The problem with plague's tale is that unlike DS, TLOU and Ratchet, they started off at 1440p so if they drop resolution by 100%, they are right around 960p which wouldve looked even worse than 1080p. Probably best to reduce some settings which is what PC gamers end up doing to hit 60 fps.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well the resolution is dropping 75% while they are trying to increase the framerate by 100% so they need to find that extra 25% from somewhere else. Foliage is one of the most taxing settings on the GPU so I get it. Looks like the game goes all the way up to 80 fps so they probably shouldve implemented some kind of DRS but this is one of the better 60 fps modes. Forspoken, Dead Space and Star Wars are all hitting 720p in their performance modes. Even Sony games had to drop resolution by 100% to get double the framerate.

For example, the native 4k 30 fps fidelity mode in Spiderman Miles can drop to 1080p at times while staying at 1440p most of the time. A 100-200% drop in resolution. It also downgrades the RT quality, the number of pedestrians on screen on top of the drop in resolution.

HFW goes from native 4k to 1800cb which is even lower than 1440p. So again, a massive 150% drop in resolution plus some reduction in foliage (though not nearly as drastic as Plague's tale) just to increase the framerate by a 100%.

Demon Souls and TLOU both drop resolution by 100% in their performance modes in order to get a 100% increase in framerate. The problem with plague's tale is that unlike DS, TLOU and Ratchet, they started off at 1440p so if they drop resolution by 100%, they are right around 960p which wouldve looked even worse than 1080p. Probably best to reduce some settings which is what PC gamers end up doing to hit 60 fps.
Those Sony games must have their head around Vulkan-like APIs. 🤭

adamsapple

TBH the frame rate isn't increasing by 100%. It's increasing by 300% (or 400% if you want to count 30 FPS as the base).

Yes, there are cut-backs, but they've turned it from a 30 FPS game into a 120 FPS game.

Hopefully they continue patching the game and reach a middle ground where they at least retain the visual features, if not the resolution, while having a 60 FPS target.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TBH the frame rate isn't increasing by 100%. It's increasing by 300% (or 400% if you want to count 30 FPS as the base).

Yes, there are cut-backs, but they've turned it from a 30 FPS game into a 120 FPS game.

Hopefully they continue patching the game and reach a middle ground where they at least retain the visual features, if not the resolution, while having a 60 FPS target.
Oh wow. I had no idea it was going up to 120 fps. I skimmed through the video and saw 80 fps max.

I think DRS shouldve been implemented in the performance mode for the locked 60 fps mode. If you have to cut foliage, fine, but at least push the resolution as high as you can.

MikeM

If playing only in perf mode, you’d have no idea the cutbacks. Just further proof that these consoles can absolutely be 60+ fps boxes.

adamsapple

If playing only in perf mode, you’d have no idea the cutbacks. Just further proof that these consoles can absolutely be 60+ fps boxes.

I'mma be honest, 40hz with the kind of visuals this game pushes is more than enough for me as a standard for this generation.

60 FPS is nice but 40 FPS is incredible if it lets you retain the higher fidelity and effects.

Banned
I'mma be honest, 40hz with the kind of visuals this game pushes is more than enough for me as a standard for this generation.

60 FPS is nice but 40 FPS is incredible if it lets you retain the higher fidelity and effects.

it's not 60fps tho.
it's like 80fps to 120fps in many areas, and the difference in fluidity is massive.

Last edited:

adamsapple

it's not 60fps tho.
it's like 80fps to 120fps in many areas, and the difference in fluidity is massive.

True, true.

The response in fluidity is really noticeable but IMO the cut-backs are a little too much for them to try a 120hz mode. A middle ground with 60 and as close to the quality mode would have been the best thing IMO.

Top Bottom