• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD allows Sikh and Muslim officers to grow beards and wear turbans

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Rest of the article at link.

XgNkCXz.jpg

The New York Police Department has relaxed its policies to allow Sikh and Muslim officers to grow beards of 1.27cm long for religious reasons, in a move aimed recruiting more minorities.

Police Commissioner James O'Neill announced the new rule on Wednesday following a graduation ceremony for new police recruits.

Under the revised rules, Sikh officers will also be allowed to wear turbans in place of the traditional police cap, O'Neill said.

Officers would need approval to wear the turban that would have to be navy blue and have the NYPD insignia attached.

"We're making this change to make sure that we allow everybody in New York City that wants to apply and have the opportunity to work in the greatest police department in the nation, to make sure we give them that opportunity," O'Neill was quoted by the New York Times as saying.

Of the 557 recruits who graduated, 33 are Muslims and two are Sikhs, the Times reported.

The Sikh Coalition, an advocacy group which aims to protect the right to practise the religion, said it was "optimistic about what this announcement represents in the way of progress".

Meanwhile, the Sikh Officers Association welcomed the move calling it "a proud moment for [the] Sikh community".

According to the NYPD patrol guide, officers were previously prohibited from having beards, though an unwritten policy permitted them up to one millimetre in length.

The reason given for the ban was that beards interfere with certain gas masks.

norm9

But now their gas masks won't fit per their prior excuse. Or will NYPD just not give gas masks to Sikh and Muslim cops when they tear gas people?

nkarafo

The beards i get. But the cap?

I thought police caps are standard part of the police uniform for everyone and aren't supposed to represent religion or anything like that.

Yeah. Call me when the commissioner isn't calling it a "business" and his police officers "employees who we expect to earn their pay" when referring to drug arrests.

As it should be. Allows s more diverse police force and doesn't compromise their ability to perform in anyway. Hopefully we see a positive reception and see this moved to other areas.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Breitbart report on how the NYPD has been infiltrated by ISIS in 3...2...

Hyun Sai

Unfortunately, even if minorities are in, they'll likely stay silent to the behaviour of the scumbags, like the others.

Zaru

On one hand, good for them.

On the other hand, I'm not overly excited about MORE special treatment for religion, even if this happens under the feelgood premise of helping a minority.
If they allow weird dress exceptions for arbitrary religious reasons, they might as well let a pastafarian police officer wear a pasta strainer. Makes just about as much sense.
While googling, I just found out that in select areas Sikhs are/were exempt from wearing protective helmets on e.g. motorcycles or constructions sites. If your religion tells you to value a fashion statement over safety, there's probably something wrong with it.

Hyun Sai

On the other hand, I'm not overly excited about MORE special treatment for religion, even if this happens under the feelgood premise of helping a minority.
If they allow weird dress exceptions for arbitrary religious reasons, they might as well let a pastafarian police officer wear a pasta strainer. Makes just about as much sense.
While googling, I just found out that in select areas Sikhs are/were exempt from wearing protective helmets on e.g. motorcycles or constructions sites. If your religion tells you to value a fashion statement over safety, there's probably something wrong with it.

Also this, but common sense seems to falter when minorities are involved, unfortunately.

Regginator

I'm legit shook that apparently it wasn't possible to let your beard grow at NYPD?

quick edit: Maybe I'm not reading properly, but the new rules now allow beards to grow to a maximum of 1.27cm? That's.... not much at all. Basically anything more than stubbles are still not allowed then.

Starborn

Neo Member
Good PR move, but they took a step backwards in transparency this year by removing "personnel orders" which basically displayed the ongoings of cops in every department for including disciplinary record and or actions. It was made available for reports for more than 4 decades. Link

There's a lot of things they don't tell you about the NYPD, such as having a non-profit police foundation that fund covert activities abroad. They have cops stationed in many parts of the world internationally. Link Some of the funding comes from other governments such as United Arab Emirates. Link

watershed

Banned
Too bad they're still be harassed by their own colleagues once they're off duty in plain clothes. Sorry but I am cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom