• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: $3 Tip on a $4 Cup of Coffee? Gratuities Grow, Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
“There are records of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson giving tips to their slaves,” said Michael Lynn, a professor of consumer behavior at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration,

I think we all know this was true

Pizza delivery drivers in America don't get "salary." We get hourly and its only 4 bucks an hour, half of minimum wage. The coffee guy probably gets 8-12 bucks an hour depending on the area, and that's why we tip delivery drivers and not coffee shop workers.

Depends, my buddy delivers for Dominos and he gets 8 an hour and tips.

After giving the waiter the credit card, sometimes they bring back just the slip to sign, not the entire receipt. This makes it much harder to calculate tip because it includes taxes.

Those suggested tips on the bottom of receipts are traps because they are often calculated off of the bill+tax, not just the bill alone.

I'm not tipping shit.

If no one is tipping my dad for picking the fruit that you eat, then I'm definitely not tipping some dude that just pushed buttons to make my coffee.

sdijoseph

I worked at dunkin donuts for a while and for some reason we had a tip jar, never understood why. Not complaining though, it gave me about $1/hr extra in wages.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Why'd they use a credit card to pay for a $4 charge?

I don't ever carry cash. Debit/Credit/NFC only. If I lose cash, it's gone. If someone steals my card I can call my bank.

As far as tipping goes: I actually stopped ordering from a Chinese restaurant near me because the guy complained that I didn't give him as much of a tip as before.

jasonng

What a bizarre article. No one really tips that much for coffee, it's just the way this particular point of sales system is designed. I've seen the $1/$2/$3 tip options from some of the newer POS systems. You can simply hit No tip. It's there.

overcast

I'll tip very few times if I get coffee. Maybe if I'm at a place for like an hour and get two refills/drinks with good enough service.

I never feel bad or obligated though. I often hit no on those.

Yeah I'm not tipping for coffee.

I'm not tipping for picking up food. I tipped a pickup order the other day because they stayed open 20 minutes after they were closed in a blizzard.

That was nice service.

If I was picking up 4 crazy different coffee drinks, then I might consider a tip.

terrisus

There was a “no tip” and a “customize tip” button, too, but neither seemed particularly inviting as the cashier looked on. Under that pressure, the middle choice — $2 — seemed easiest.

Seriously -

This article is basically "we can't think for ourselves and can only do what machines tell us to do"
Leave what you want for a tip, it's not a big deal.

I work for Dominos and I get 3.75 while I'm on the road driving and 7.50 (minimum wage in Missouri) while I'm in the store. I wish I got paid 8 dollars flat.

As I mentioned previously, in half the country, minimum means minimum. That is, all tipped employees start at $9 in California.

Im sorry your state sucks.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that people tip for coffee. Don't the kids behind the counter get a regular wage, not a server wage?

I'm not a fan of the ipad pos systems to begin with, and anytime someone swings one of those at me and can't be assed to even complete the transaction without some kind of self serve device, I hit "no tip".

Wthermans

Banned
We have a mandatory 19% service charge. Tips are not anticipated nor expected and employees are instructed to turn down anything extra 3 times before they can take it without reprimand.

Opiate

Is this a serious question?

Really?

And this was the person at the register.

Well, why not?

I'll give you an answer: because the pizza delivery guy has to cover the costs of travel. The company doesn't pay for his gas/depreciation/etc. But that's not some obvious fact, some truth that everyone anywhere in the world would know about US Pizza delivery services.

I've never been to Cafe Grumpy but from looking at their website, it looks like a high-end coffee place, and in a lot of those, coffee isn't just poured from a pot into your cup. Espresso needs to be ground, hand-tamped, then the shot needs to be watched for 30 seconds or so while it's being pulled. Then foaming and adding the milk to cappuccinos, etc. takes more time. It's a decent amount of work that takes some real training to get right, so I don't mind at all tipping $1 on a $2.50 double shot. I assume the $2 and $3 options are for orders of multiple drinks.

Well, why not?

I'll give you an answer: because the pizza delivery guy has to cover the costs of travel. The company doesn't pay for his gas/depreciation/etc. But that's not some obvious fact, some truth that everyone anywhere in the world would know about US Pizza delivery services.

Yup in many parts of the world delivery people are given a company delivery vehicle to use

0T0AqG1.jpg

TxIV2xB.jpg

I mean, its pretty ridiculous that American companies are forcing their employees to provide and pay for their own vehicle. That just doesnt fly in places that value labor laws.

When I ordered delivery Mcdonalds, they ask you on the phone how youll pay. IE, with what bills.

So the delivery person actually bring you your pre-sorted change in a sealed plastic bag. You dont even get the opportunity to grab some of the change and give it as tip/

nel e nel

Huh, I wonder which location this was. We have one of the 3 Grumpy Cafe's in our neighborhood. Bought a pound of beans from them once and it was ridiculously expensive. Like $22 or something.

Yup in many parts of the world delivery people are given a company delivery vehicle to use

0T0AqG1.jpg

TxIV2xB.jpg

I mean, its pretty ridiculous that American companies are forcing their employees to provide and pay for their own vehicle. That just doesnt fly in places that value labor laws.

When I ordered delivery Mcdonalds, they ask you on the phone how youll pay. IE, with what bills.

So the delivery person actually bring you your pre-sorted change in a sealed plastic bag. You dont even get the opportunity to grab some of the change and give it as tip/

I think the liability insurance would be astronomical for a company to provide company mopeds to drive. Keep in mind most delivery guys are teenagers

Huh, I wonder which location this was. We have one of the 3 Grumpy Cafe's in our neighborhood. Bought a pound of beans from them once and it was ridiculously expensive. Like $22 or something.

I buy from them regularly and I believe I generally spend $17-18 per pound. They're locally roasted and fresh as fuck and you're not gonna get that from Starbucks.

I sorta feel that if you can afford to live in any of the neighborhoods that has a Grumpy in it you can afford to pay a little more for a pound of beans.

RodentBR

Neo Member
I am going to visit the US for the first time in about a month and I freak out reading these tip thereads here at GAF.

I'm afraid I won't tip in a situations where it's expected and I will look like an asshole.

Here in Brazil people only tip 10% at restaurants and that's it. We can occasionally tip a pizza delivery guy, but that's not expected.

I am going to visit the US for the first time in about a month and I freak out reading these tip thereads here at GAF.

I'm afraid I won't tip in a situations where it's expected and I will look like an asshole.

Here in Brazil people only tip 10% at restaurants and that's it. We can occasionally tip a pizza delivery guy, but that's not expected.

No worries Rodent, here is the easy guide to tipping.

Tip 15% on a bill in restaurants unless the server was an asshole (you can bump this to 20 if the server was particularly good but most servers are perfectly happy with 15)
Add like $1-$2 for every drink at a bar
Tip 15% on a cab unless the drive was an asshole.
If you get food delivered to you throw the guy a couple dollars

No need to tip anywhere else.

In regards to the OP, fuck that. I'm not tipping for coffee or any take out food/drink for that matter.

No worries Rodent, here is the easy guide to tipping.

Tip 15% on a bill in restaurants unless the server was an asshole (you can bump this to 20 but most servers are perfectly happy with 15)
Add like $1-$2 for every drink at a bar
Tip 15% on a cab unless the drive was an asshole.
If you get food delivered to you throw the guy a couple dollars

No need to tip anywhere else.

-Tip is calculated before tax
-If you start a tab just tip 10-15% at the end rather than 1 per drink
-Id tip 15% to delivery guy more if weather is bad, less if they take forever
-If service in any case is terrible you can provide no tip
-Hair cuts also get tips

First class on an airplane is a (relatively) clearly defined charge up front, not something the flight attendant springs on you after you've already gotten on the plane.

The thing people seem to misunderstand in these threads is that people don't have problems with paying for clearly defined, extra services. What people have problems with are confusion and arbitrary charges that depend on vague, undefined things like "tradition", or where you happen to have been raised. If it takes $5 to cover the cost of delivering a pizza, then just charge $5 extra for delivering a pizza, and mention that at the time the service is requested. Don't charge a $2 "delivery fee", and then get pissed off at the customer for not knowing that a delivery fee isn't actually a fee for delivery.
If you don't know by now that you're expected to tip when you order a pizza or sit down at a restaurant then there is something wrong with you. You should know what's coming before you ever pick up the phone to order or sit down at the restaurant. No one is springing anything on you, tipping has been a part of American culture before most of the people on this forum were ever born. Unless you're from outside of America you should never be surprised when the guy delivering your pizza is expecting a tip.

And I don't know why people get mad and want to be charged up front. These companies are giving you an in to save money if you get shitty service. Why would you want that extra $5 always tacked on when you could just save that money every time you got bad service? Tipping is actually beneficial for the consumer if used correctly but people seem more concerned with getting rid of it so they can definitely spend more money every time they go out to eat.
So you walking to the bar negates tipping the bartender? You're going to have to come up with better reasoning than that. Do you also penalize the server because a hostess made you take too many steps to get to your table?
Yes, because they're bringing it to you. The same way you don't tip at Burger King just because they hand you the food you paid for, but you do tip at Friday's because they come and serve you at your table. They're both situations in which the server is doing more then just giving you the product you paid for. They're obligated to give you a beer if you pay for it, otherwise you can ask for your money back. They're not obligated to bring anything to your table for you.

Here in Brazil people only tip 10% at restaurants and that's it.
We can occasionally tip a pizza delivery guy, but that's not expected.

Make sure you don't tip 10% when you visit restaurants in the USA unless the restaurant service you receive warrants it.

10% is what you're supposed to tip mediocre or bad restaurant service depending on where you visit in the country (for example, in a high cost-of-living locale like Manhattan, New York City, 10% is more "I had bad service"...but if you go to a low cost-of-living locale like rural Georgia 10% is more "I had mediocre service").

Either way, it's a bit of an insult to go down to 10% if it isn't for a good reason.

I only tip for waiters/waitresses when I go out to eat some place. If you are behind a counter, you don't get a tip, that's your job. I get my food from you, where does your service to me deserve a tip?

Zoe

I wonder if it's based on the area. He does work a rather rural area so it takes him longer to get to each stop.

Things like that can be based on the owner. I've heard of people at Sonic getting the tipping wage (never seen it in Texas though).

-Tip is calculated before tax
-If you start a tab just tip 10-15% at the end rather than 1 per drink
-Id tip 15% to delivery guy more if weather is bad, less if they take forever
-If service in any case is terrible you can provide no tip
-Hair cuts also get tips

Now we're moving in to the advanced guide.

knicks

How do you feel about restauraunts that have mandatory valet parking?

They won't even allow you to park your car yourself, despite there being a relatively small parking lot with clear open spaces available. They force you to hand over your keys in normal climate weather and of course you must tip. It's bull shit. This happened to me at a place that wasn't even that nice. The dude literally walked 4 feet to get my car.

Banned
Fuck tips over 10% for anything. They've got no overheads, and 10% of all money you pass over a counter in a day is a lot of money.

Ahasverus

It's funny to see the list of tipped wages on wikipedia and see that the usual suspects of progress in the US have standarized minimum wage for all, and the usual conservative states have that miserable salary. Just make it mandatory by federal law that no employee should earn from its employer less than minimum wage. BAM. Welcome to the 21st century.
If you don't know by now that you're expected to tip when you order a pizza or sit down at a restaurant then there is something wrong with you. You should know what's coming before you ever pick up the phone to order or sit down at the restaurant. No one is springing anything on you, tipping has been a part of American culture before most of the people on this forum were ever born. Unless you're from outside of America you should never be surprised when the guy delivering your pizza is expecting a tip.
You already paid for the home delviery service on top of the normal cost of the pizza. You don't HAVE to pay the delivery guy more.If you feel nice so be it, but if the place already has a delivery fee you're not obligued at all.

Yes, because they're bringing it to you. The same way you don't tip at Burger King just because they hand you the food you paid for, but you do tip at Friday's because they come and serve you at your table. They're both situations in which the server is doing more then just giving you the product you paid for. They're obligated to give you a beer if you pay for it, otherwise you can ask for your money back. They're not obligated to bring anything to your table for you.

Yeah but you're assuming that the teenager at the Burger King, who is content earning minimum wage and working limited hours, is earning a the same rate that the bartender, who is earning less than minimum wage and probably pay real bills and stuff and works full time, is.

I mean, if you're ok with people earning less than minimum wage and you only making it harder for them then your example is great. Otherwise, it's not a good look.

genjiZERO

Holy shit that would be infuriating. I've never been to that particular place, but there's no way I'd go now. Tipping is idiotic particularly tipping for coffee.

Panzon

I worked at dunkin donuts for a while and for some reason we had a tip jar, never understood why. Not complaining though, it gave me about $1/hr extra in wages.
I see this everywhere now and it annoys the shit out of me. The gas station I go to has a Dunkin donut inside and they have 2 tipping jars on each end of the counter. To make matters worst, the gas station cashier also have a big tip jar for some odd reason. I just laugh everytime I see the tipping jars

Yeah but you're assuming that the teenager at the Burger King, who is content earning minimum wage and working limited hours, is earning a the same rate that the bartender, who is earning less than minimum wage and probably pay real bills and stuff and works full time, is.

I mean, if you're ok with people earning less than minimum wage and you only making it harder for them then your example is great. Otherwise, it's not a good look.

Doesn't everyone get minimum wage regardless?

Unless the laws changed, IIRC, in states where restaurants pay below minimum, if the waiters don't make up the difference in tips then the restaurant has to pay them that difference.

Doesn't everyone get minimum wage regardless?

Unless the laws changed, IIRC, in states where restaurants pay below minimum, if the waiters don't make up the difference in tips then the restaurant has to pay them that difference.

For cases where that might actually occur: you're still basically saying that it's ok to not pay an adult a liveable wage. No one can get by on minimum wage, not on their own.

So either have enough money to tip your bartender or stay home with a six pack. Wasting a bartender's time to then shaft them on the tip is helpful to no one but the shitty owners who aren't paying their staff well enough, which for many non-tippers is the person they fault for the poor wages the bartender has. Funny how that works.

So what if I was raised to tip 10%? (edit: I've noticed my dad usually tips about 10%, even if the service was fine. Some might see that as "bad" tipping, but maybe 10% was normal for most of his life? Is he supposed to track and keep up with inflation now?) Some people say 15% is standard. Will that prevent my food from being spit on? Some people have said 20% is standard. Some states have stronger minimum wage laws, do I tip less there? Some states have higher cost of living, do I tip more there? I know I tip restaurants, sure. Oh yeah, and pizza delivery drivers. But wait, package delivery drivers don't get tips? And they do far more heavy lifting than a pizza delivery person. But I get it, pizza delivery drivers only get minimum wage, and it's an extra optional service, that's why you should tip. Oh, look, there's a delivery fee that gets charged when I order delivery, obviously that means that the cost of delivery is covered by that, right?

Taxi drivers? Do I have to tip on Uber? They drive me around too. So does the local bus service, do I tip the bus driver as well? The person who takes my luggage at the hotel is supposed to be tip. I think. But I can take my own luggage, do I have to run the person down when they rush to grab my luggage, because I actually don't want to pay for the "service"?

Arguing for payment based on a vague thing like "tradition" may be a "functional" system, but I have no idea how one could argue that it should be the preferred or optimal system. Healthcare through an employer is "tradition" in the US, but it's hardly the best way to provide health care services to a nation, according to pretty much all evidence.

And I don't know why people get mad and want to be charged up front. These companies are giving you an in to save money if you get shitty service. Why would you want that extra $5 always tacked on when you could just save that money every time you got bad service? Tipping is actually beneficial for the consumer if used correctly but people seem more concerned with getting rid of it so they can definitely spend more money every time they go out to eat.

If it's always bad service, then I'd eat somewhere else. Plus there's this weird idea that a tipping system automatically leads to better service, when that's pretty much obvious that it's not really true. And also by that logic, we should have every service be based on tipping, and not some arbirtrary list based on "tradition". But no one ever argues for that...

And if we just want to reward people for going above and beyond, then sure, someone can go ahead and tip if they want. But building entire industries economic system around required tipping seems completely dumb.

Other arguments against tipping: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/17/5888347/one-more-case-against-tipping

Interesting point:

This push for higher tips seems to be based around places that primarily employ white, middle class youth (youth being 16-29).

Your average barista is a hot college blond or some hipster dude with $2,000 worth of tattoos.

Meanwhile, the guy at the deli counter is a 42-year old arab immigrant while the cashier at Mcdonalds is a middle aged hispanic woman. No one is yelling to tip them, even though theyre making less and probably have more bills (kids, etc).

Might there be something else at play here?

this is only a way for corporations to make more profit margin!

there should be laws abolishing tipping and making companies pay a livable wage to their service industry employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom