• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Cakeage, or How Restaurants Really Feel About Cake Brought In

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

Damn straight I bring my own cake...

tart_18.jpg

This is now a cake thread.

akira28

the worst is when you get a cake that looks like that, and still tastes bland.

vanilla bean horns though.....I see them.

post-traumatic cakeage disorder. did you yelp them too?

man they had my whole clan out in the parking lot trying to eat cake with their hands man. We picketed them.

I legit looked for eye contact with other patrons to display my terrible time.

Bringing a cake for celebration displays a lack etiquette, but is easily excusable if the group is large enough to drop some serious cash. Especially if drinks are being ordered. Their large bill is likely worth avoiding a large group of people griping about your no outside cake policy hampering their otherwise great time.

Risible

Cake aside, I don't think I want to go to Miller Union in the future. Who knows where the photographs end.

That was my takeaway as well. That's a pretty shit thing to do, and the fact that the owner thought it was OK enough to tell a reporter he does it blows my mind. I mean its not People of Walmart levels of wrong, but it's pretty shitty nonetheless.

ajcacio

Banned
Cake aside, I don't think I want to go to Miller Union in the future. Who knows where the photographs end.

I live next to Miller Union and have been once (for my birthday actually). It's a high end restaurant and whether it's "right" or not, there's an etiquette when eating at places like this. You wouldn't show up in flip flops and gym shorts, this is similar. Many of these places have their own pastry or dessert chefs; not only are you bringing your own cake, you're asking the restaurant to plate it and cut it for you. I don't feel strongly either way but I understand the mindset at least.

Grifter

man they had my whole clan out in the parking lot trying to eat cake with their hands man. We picketed them.

I legit looked for eye contact with other patrons to display my terrible time.
picturing a wild eyed family spitefully clawing at an artisanal cake in some nice restaurant's parking lot now.
it seems there's a real balance of power issue here...
what? power being lorded from shop over customer?

Syriel

I always thought it was for restaurants who don't have the appropriate licence for selling alcohol.

People bring their own wine to restaurants because the restaurant in question usually doesn't have wine that's up to snuff.

People bring their own birthday cakes to restaurants because restaurants don't usually employ bakers who can make a quality cake.

Just because a restaurant can serve up awesome main courses doesn't mean that it doesn't skimp in other places.

Bringing a cake that's actually stronger than the restaurant's cake...can't complain.

Just because a restaurant is pricey or well-known for something doesn't necessarily mean their desserts will be on point.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Bringing a cake that's actually stronger than the restaurant's cake...can't complain.

Just because a restaurant is pricey or well-known for something doesn't necessarily mean their desserts will be on point.

Yup, but also I think it is perfectly understandable that restaurants would charge for this.

Bringing a cake into a restaurant? How tacky can you get? Not to mention extremely rude. If you want to eat your own cake, have friends come over to your place after for a drink and a slice.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People bring cake to restaurants, and eat it there? What? I've literally never seen this, or even heard of it. When you go to a restaurant you order and eat what they have on offer. That's the point.

Nikodemos

People bring cake to restaurants, and eat it there? What? I've literally never seen this, or even heard of it. When you go to a restaurant you order and eat what they have on offer. That's the point.
Many restaurants don't have a maitre patissier on retainer, and are unable to put together a cake (especially not a more fancier one). The restaurant my mum had her party at would definitely have been unable to make the three-chocolate and fondant mousse cake we had at the end. Though we weren't charged plating (probably due to the size of the final bill).

Let me know when high end restaurants serve birthday cakes on their dessert menus. Until then, I'll continue to bring in my own cakes. It's not like wine, where bringing in your own bottle means you aren't buying theirs.

Lego Boss

I worked in a restaurant in the UK in the early 2000s and this was pretty normal practice then. We would provide plates and a knife.

We even had to sing Happy Birthday to the customers too (the restaurant received or gave no money under public performance rights laws).

It was a pretty decent Italian restaurant. Chefs had no problem with it. I can't really see the issue.

It's not like you want your cake and eat it is it? (which is the most stupid aphorism of all time, of course I'm going to eat the cake that is served for me).

But I digress. Standard in UK restaurants.

gerg

It's not like you want your cake and eat it is it? (which is the most stupid aphorism of all time, of course I'm going to eat the cake that is served for me).

I believe the original saying was "eat your cake and have it", which better highlights the impossibility of eating your cake and then having it afterwards.

Anyway, the restaurant where I work charges a £5 flat fee for anyone who wants to bring in their own cake. It seems pretty reasonable enough.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have never done this before, nor have I ever seen it. If we were celebrating a birthday at a restaurant with my family we would treat whatever desert the place had as the "cake."

DiscoJer

How have none of you ever heard of this? Is it just a southern thing? Every time I ever go out to a restaurant for a birthday people ALWAYS bring their own cake, and I have never, not once, seen the owner get pissed because of it. They always welcome everyone with a huge smile, and happily bring out plates and more silverware. It is a big thing here (SC). They love big parties in their realstaurant. When they see a cake, they know it's usually a large party and do all they can to help.

I am from the Midwest and have never heard of this.

Granted, I haven't been to a birthday party in probably 20 years, but I don't remember anything like this as a kid when I went to a lot of them.

Travo

How have none of you ever heard of this? Is it just a southern thing? Every time I ever go out to a restaurant for a birthday people ALWAYS bring their own cake, and I have never, not once, seen the owner get pissed because of it. They always welcome everyone with a huge smile, and happily bring out plates and more silverware. It is a big thing here (SC). They love big parties in their realstaurant. When they see a cake, they know it's usually a large party and do all they can to help.

Must be a southern thing. Restaurants usually birthday parties.

shink

This was pretty common when I was younger, usually at Chinese restaurants.
A service charge for cutting/plates seems fair to me.

joe2187

Banned
I currently work in a high end restaurant. (Los Angeles, California FYI)

And this is normal practice, every time we have a big party 10 - 60 or 70 people at once. They always bring their own cake.

We will do special request deserts if asked, prepared for the party. But most of the time they bring their own cakes. We charge and extra $3 -6 per person. Same goes for Wine and other deserts they bring.

We offer to fridge it for them, cut it, plate it, and serve it.

However that said. It's absolutely true that 95% of those cakes are fucking garbage. Im the one who personally has to cut 65 seperate equal slices of your shit tasting cake.

Also, it's nice that you want your cake to be a centerpiece to the table, but listen to us when we ask to put it in the fridge. When you wonder why your cake turned into mush on the plate, it's because it's been sitting outside in 90+ degree weather heat for the last 3 hours.

I should take pictures of all the Garish, foul tasting cakes they have brought in since I've been working there. out of the 160 cakes I've cut last year...only 3 were decent tasting, The rest had deteriorated because they refuse to let us fridge it, or are filled with so much sugary frosting and bizarre fillings that it's embarrassing. (We've had a cake that was stuffed with...pickles)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
what the fuck is wrong with you bringing your own food to a restaurant lmao

do you bring your own movies when you go to to the movie theatre too?

Kapi96

Never heard of this before. Sounds a bit strange for people to bring their own stuff to a restaurant. Why not just order one of the desserts there?

massoluk

Banned
Why? Is that weird to bring cake in? You guys generally assume all restaurants have birthday cake for sale on the moment notice?

wildfire

Banned
(We've had a cake that was stuffed with...pickles)

If only you could name and shame who made this but most desert boxes lack labels. :|

I can't understand this how they used that as ingredient.

I saw someone (admittedly a bit of twat ) listening to his own music on headphones in a nightclub a few times

This thread is delivering in ways I didn't imagine when I first started reading it.

Alx

I currently work in a high end restaurant. (Los Angeles, California FYI)

And this is normal practice, every time we have a big party 10 - 60 or 70 people at once. They always bring their own cake.

We will do special request deserts if asked, prepared for the party. But most of the time they bring their own cakes. We charge and extra $3 -6 per person. Same goes for Wine and other deserts they bring.

However that said. It's absolutely true that 95% of those cakes are fucking garbage. Im the one who personally has to cut 65 seperate equal slices of your shit tasting cake.

Also, it's nice that you want your cake to be a centerpiece to the table, but listen to us when we ask to put it in the fridge. When you wonder why your cake turned into mush on the plate, it's because it's been sitting outside in 90+ degree weather heat for the last 3 hours.

I should take pictures of all the Garish, foul tasting cakes they have brought in since I've been working there. out of the 160 cakes I've cut last year...only 3 were decent tasting, The rest had deteriorated because they refuse to let us fridge it, or are filled with so much sugary frosting and bizarre fillings that it's embarrassing. (We've had a cake that was stuffed with...pickles)

What if the customers get sick after they eat some cake they brought but that stayed in the kitchens for the duration of the meal ? Wouldn't the restaurant be at fault, or at least be exposed to sanitary investigations ?
I certainly wouldn't let customers bring their own food to my restaurant if I had one... Also I wouldn't bring my own food as a customer either. If I hade a home-made cake for the occasion, I'm sure I could find a private place to share it with the group, outside the restaurant. Probably home.

joe2187

Banned
What if the customers get sick after they eat some cake they brought but that stayed in the kitchens for the duration of the meal ? Wouldn't the restaurant be at fault, or at least be exposed to sanitary investigations ?
I certainly wouldn't let customers bring their own food to my restaurant if I had one... Also I wouldn't bring my own food as a customer either. If I hade a home-made cake for the occasion, I'm sure I could find a private place to share it with the group, outside the restaurant. Probably home.

Pretty sure the party organizer makes them sign a waiver.

akira28

picturing a wild eyed family spitefully clawing at an artisanal cake in some nice restaurant's parking lot now.

what? power being lorded from shop over customer?

yes. he who brings the cake makes the rules. That has been the way since time immemorial. Now these uppity hipster New Yorkers with their 6 month waiting list and their French chef certificates want to change the status quo. I say we fight.

Normally we don't have a desire for bad tasting cake in a restaurant.

exactly. restaurants don't give a shit about their desserts, they want them to look nice, but don't care if they taste like generic and bland. forget that. If I want a good dessert I go to a bakery or have a baker bake it for me. I don't go to a restaurant for their cake of the week.

This thread is so weird, don't think I've ever been to a party at a restaurant where people DIDN'T bring their own cake. I've lived in the NorthEast, South and West Coast. Restaurant's really don't always have the in house bakers to make custom cakes exactly the way you want.

andthebeatgoeson

Snobs. Some restauranteurs are not good at business, so they decide they want complete control. Laughing at people's cakes? I hope they do it publicly. Make people decide to stay home.

Restaurants close, a lot. It's very volatile. With a pick up in the economy, I'm sure we'll have douchey restaurant behavior. Usually they become assholes when the economy is good and desperate when the economy is bad.

andthebeatgoeson

Wait, your job is to cut and serve. But how do you know what it tastes like? You sound salty people aren't choosing your hand crafted artisanal creations.

Do y'all drink bottles of wine people bring in?

High end restaurants should absolutely charge and hell, shame, people who bring in sub optimal cakes into their establishment. If you're going to be eating at a nice restaurant at least order desert of their menu or have something pre-arranged with the restaurant before hand. I'd feel bad for a restaurant that has to serve some of those monstrosities found on that Instagram.
Did you really just say "sub optimal cakes"?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
When the reservations are made, the restaurant should offer bulk dessert from a bakery or bakeries that they approve. Then if the customer says no, then a fee can be warranted.

I feel like ultra high end restaurants would make more of an accommodation and get you a kickass cake that you request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom