• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: Steve Jobs considered use of Cell in Macs, but disappointed by design

Rhindle

Interesting ... :)

As it happens, Intel's was not the only alternative chip design that Apple had explored for the Mac. An executive close to Sony said that last year Mr. Jobs met in California with both Nobuyuki Idei, then the chairman and chief executive of the Japanese consumer electronics firm, and with Kenichi Kutaragi, the creator of the Sony PlayStation.

Mr. Kutaragi tried to interest Mr. Jobs in adopting the Cell chip, which is being developed by I.B.M. for use in the coming PlayStation 3, in exchange for access to certain Sony technologies. Mr. Jobs rejected the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/11/technology/11apple.html?pagewanted=1

Zaptruder

Banned
1. Less effective because the CELL is a primarily in order processing CPU; the gflops are greater, and programming specifically for the CELL would result in much more powerful software... but that's not what apple needs.

2. Because Mac programs would require major reworking in order to get them to run on the CELL cpu with a good amount of efficiency.

3. They had planned to go with Intel since OSX, compiling and writing dual code for their programs, so going that path would've saved them the most trouble.

4. Considering that we're talking about availability/low volume problems been the cause of moving away from the Power PC chips, not selecting someone like AMD, CELL chips will be difficult to get, immediately as the PS3 releases, due to most of them been used for the PS3 I'd imagine.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well who can blame him, what with the exciting, industry-leading processor designs going on at Intel. Hyperthreading forever, yo. WHOOO!

Rhindle

It isn't old. All I see is a post from someone's blog that Golem made a while ago. Hardly official confirmation of what went down.

GhaleonEB

tedtropy said:
Well who can blame him, what with the exciting, industry-leading processor designs going on at Intel. Hyperthreading forever, yo. WHOOO!

From what I've read, Intel's mobile roadmap is a big part of why Apple picked then, and that IS industry-leading.

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
How many smileys does one need not to be taken seriously!

Ah - gotcha. Between that and the other post I thought you were just mocking him. That one went right over my head. (And it probably WAS sleep deprivation, so Amir0x = winnar!) :)

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
gotta love the "old" spin. the article was published today. anyone still wondering why Ken was demoted. Smart move by Apple all the way around :D

Phoenix

Cell is not a general purpose processor, doesn't use Altivec, consumes a lot of power, produces a lot of heat, still couldn't be used in mobile products, and has a very short roadmap. The speed at which it starts life is the speed at which it stops. IBM has no incentive to build 3.5, 4.0, etc Ghz versions of this processor. So at best it buys Apple 6 months before they have to start looking for something else.

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
Full article, stat!

Terms of Service said:
The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning, although a verbal warning may be administered for a first offense. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.

"That would be bad."

-Igon, Ghostbusters

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
i could be wrong here, but i believe that you'r eonly guaranteed for success if steve jobs doesn't like your design.

Zaptruder

Banned
Kleegamefan said:

It just has a list of accounts for many various username/password websites around the net (that typically don't require subscription). When you type in a URL, it matches what it has in the database with the URL, and voila, username and password.
Also it allows users to submit accounts and passwords for whatever sites... although if they submit a pay site, the account will only last as long as its paid for.

It's not like it randomly generates password and user accounts based on some universal super algorithm.

Sagitario

Intelmacs.gif

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
My initial reaction to this leads me to believe IBMs total dominance in the next gen consoles is a significant incentive for both Apple and Intel to strike this deal....

By 2010, an IBM processor will most likely reside in around 150-200M consoles alone (PS3, X360,Rev.)

Intel needed this....

teiresias

The fact that they've been having concurrent versions of the Apple OS complied for Intel pretty much made it the default choice, in fact I don't even see why he'd have even been considering Cell at all under the circumstances. Maybe Cell would be worthwhile in special "targetted" Apple platforms (obviously not laptops) that they try and market to particular target audiences, like graphic-designers or something like that, but as a general Apple platform it makes absolutely no sense.

Still, one has to love how these people are ragging on Cell because of this when all three of the next-gen consoles are using IBM PPE cores anyway . . . I guess they all suck, thanks to Steve Jobs for pointing that out to me. Now I feel better about buying a new Intel Apple over a PS3 or X360 for my gaming needs.

Kleegamefan said:
My initial reaction to this leads me to believe IBMs total dominance in the next gen consoles is a significant incentive for both Apple and Intel to strike this deal....

By 2010, an IBM processor will most likely reside in around 150-200M consoles alone (PS3, X360,Rev.)

Intel needed this....

:lol :lol :lol

No dude, just no.

GhaleonEB

Kleegamefan said:

Intel needed this....

You realize that when Intel is inside every Mac sold, it will represent about less than 2% of Intel's sales? It's a nice contract to have, but I don't think it was any kind of deal-breaker for us.

Top Bottom