• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Weighs in on ACA repeal

I'm happy he's decided to stick around in politics as a voice of reason, with a sobering take on what actually needs to take place to reach a compromise on this. You just aren't hearing this level of nuance out of DC because everyone else is too busy playing politics, Democrats and the left included.

Sometimes I wish he'd just go help another country instead, and move on from the US, but I suppose that'd be worse for us.

M-PG71C

I'm happy he's decided to stick around in politics as a voice of reason, with a sobering take on what actually needs to take place to reach a compromise on this. You just aren't hearing this level of nuance out of DC because everyone else is too busy playing politics, Democrats and the left included.

Nah, they will keep playing politics until we have some dead people on the public conscious. I mean it too, it is going to require a pile of dead Americans who recently can't access the system for them to do something about it. Even that is a big if. That's a damn shame too, and a disgrace.

God, I wish Obama were still president. :(

Agreed. Hell, I'll even take good ol' Bush Jr. at this point. This country has lost its damned mind ever since they put a black man as its President years ago.

God, I wish Obama were still president. :(

I wish I had a time machine to go back to November the 7th and warn every single moron that didn't vote what would result in our world because of their inaction. Then, if they didn't believe me, I would show them every single story that came out after Trump became president. And yet.......
latest

Pilgrimzero

Nah, they will keep playing politics until we have some dead people on the public conscious. I mean it too, it is going to require a pile of dead Americans who recently can't access the system for them to do something about it. Even that is a big if. That's a damn shame too, and a disgrace.

A bunch of dead kids couldn't budge them on gun control.

Some dead cancer etc patients won't make a difference.

Republicans aren't going to listen to this. Only Democrats will, and the ones that do will make it that much easier for the GOP to screw millions over. Criticizing the AHCA is one thing, but acting like Democrats should be the ones to listen when the other side's policy is beyond redemption is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing the Democrats could do to make the AHCA an improvement over the ACA, and compromising with the Republicans will make it that much harder for the Democrats to stand against it in the future.

There comes a point where being the voice of reason is less honorable than admitting the cold hard truth, and Obama has passed that point.

M-PG71C

A bunch of dead kids couldn't budge them on gun control.

Some dead cancer etc patients won't make a difference.

This country is never going to give up "perceived" control over gun rights. Everything else is fair play legislatively though. I'm positive at some point in my lifetime, we will see universal healthcare in this country. But I can bet on the same hand that for some inexplicable reason we will never have federal background checks on guns or some other reasonable barrier to entry.

el jacko

I love Obama but I think he is still foolish to think the GOP will ever truly attempt to work with Democrats and the Left.
This is not really directed at republicans, but at voters with republican senators who also like their healthcare, to get them to bitch out congress into not passing this turd.

SeanC

He really just doesn't understand that the GOP really is just straight evil. You can't find common ground with evil. They're in it for themselves and the pockets of their friends and fuck everyone else that isn't white, christian and makes more than six figures.

I do love him and his optimism and sincerely miss that. I also miss a head of state able to put a coherent thought together. Nice.

aeolist

Banned

how is a call for bipartisanship reasonable with republicans in charge of government? it seems like the height of delusion to me

Raven117

Gold Member
lol democrats still believe in bipartisianship

its total war baby
Look, I like Obama to...you know...someone who actually has the intelligence to grasp the situation...but do remember....Obama gave us quite possibly the most damaging single quote against bi-partisianship in the last decade.

“Elections have consequences.”

He made the remark in a closed-door meeting at the White House in 2009, where Republicans had hoped to negotiate with him regarding the specifics of his stimulus package in response to the financial crisis. Initially, the president showed interest in what Republicans had to say, but his tone changed when it got down to the nitty gritty.

“Elections have consequences,” he told then number two Republican Rep. Eric Cantor. “And at the end of the day, I won. So I think on that one I trump you.”

Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of bad quotes before and since...but this one...this one hit like a wrecking ball and and semblance of unity for the rest of his presidency went right out the window....

RoKKeR

This kind of eloquence, rationality, and fundamental care for the good of the American people is sorely missing from our politics today.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Simply put, if there’s a chance you might get sick, get old, or start a family – this bill will do you harm. And small tweaks over the course of the next couple weeks, under the guise of making these bills easier to stomach, cannot change the fundamental meanness at the core of this legislation.

Great callback to Trump himself referring to the bill as "mean."

aeolist

Banned
Look, I like Obama to...you know...someone who actually has the intelligence to grasp the situation...but do remember....Obama gave us quite possibly the most damaging single quote against bi-partisianship in the last decade.

Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of bad quotes before and since...but this one...this one hit like a wrecking ball and and semblance of unity for the rest of his presidency went right out the window....

republicans didn't obstruct everything obama tried to do because he said this, and it's not how he tried to govern anyway

i would have liked him a lot better if he'd taken a hard line against conservatism, but after he tried to sell out entitlements and was hilariously blocked by the freedom caucus nutjobs i came to realize that fiscally he's in tune with center-right republicans so we couldn't really expect better

Raven117

Gold Member
republicans didn't obstruct everything obama tried to do because he said this, and it's not how he tried to govern anyway

i would have liked him a lot better if he'd taken a hard line against conservatism, but after he tried to sell out entitlements and was hilariously blocked by the freedom caucus nutjobs i came to realize that fiscally he's in tune with center-right republicans so we couldn't really expect better

Just said it was the single most damaging quote. And in those early years, yeah...it kind of was. I think things would be much different now if the Obama we got towards the end of his presidency was the one who started it. (But thats not saying all that much).

You are right....hilariously right. (no pun). I tried many times to explain this to my Republican friends...that overall...Obama was not a screetching left liberal, but it fell on deaf ears.

conpfreak

how is a call for bipartisanship reasonable with republicans in charge of government? it seems like the height of delusion to me

Maybe delusional, but the righteous approach. I mean surely, a constitutional scholar believes in bipartisanship because he would understand our constitution is built on the idea that both sides can come to a compromise for the good of the people. Admittedly, that's far removed from our political climate and I don't see that changing anytime soon without a major crisis. Still, in my view, it's never wrong to try to stay a voice of reason when you aren't in the middle of everything like a sitting president would be.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
lol democrats still believe in bipartisianship

its total war baby

I don't think it's Democrats or Republicans.

It's the Independent/Moderate voters who think everything can be solved if we all just hold hands and sing kumbayah. We may roll our eyes at it but the general public eats it up.

Koomaster

Little late for this Obama, maybe should have said something when the House bill was revealed for the disaster that it was. Also he's starting off with that both sides need to work together and I just can't even with him anymore. Politics are divided and both sides should realize it's impossible going forward to work together because it's 100% a losing move for progressives. I feel this was a sly nod to dems to court moderate republicans. If this is all he has to offer Obama can officially stay retired.

aeolist

Banned
Maybe delusional, but the righteous approach. I mean surely, a constitutional scholar believes in bipartisanship because he would understand our constitution is built on the idea that both sides can come to a compromise for the good of the people. Admittedly, that's far removed from our political climate and I don't see that changing anytime soon without a major crisis. Still, in my view, it's never wrong to try to stay a voice of reason when you aren't in the middle of everything like a sitting president would be.

but how is compromise with reactionary fascists a righteous approach? literally nothing about the AHCA is good, it is entirely about hurting poor people and giving their money to the ultra-rich. compromise with the right has only ever resulted in electoral losses and the democratic party becoming more and more conservative, it's not in any sense the right thing to do.

aeolist

Banned
You think Congress wrote that do you?

The Twenty-second Amendment (Amendment XXII) of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for election and overall time of service to the office of President of the United States. Congress passed the amendment on March 21, 1947. Ratification by the requisite 36 of the then-48 states was completed on February 27, 1951.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I don't think it's Democrats or Republicans.

It's the Independent/Moderate voters who think everything can be solved if we all just hold hands and sing kumbayah. We may roll our eyes at it but the general public eats it up.

Obama isn't the only Democratic politician who buys that shit. Plenty of them have said things like, "I like and respect *some random Republican*, we just have minor disagreements on things!" And others said how nice Jeff Sessions was to them or how he was their workout buddy.

The last Republican to really defend a Democrat was John McCain, and it was only because people were being too obviously racist to Obama.

timberger

Poor Barack, does he really think most Republican politicians wouldn't watch America burn if they thought it'd spite him?

He may as well be talking to a wall.

Animator

It is kinda sad that that reply by Obama has more coherent sentences than Trump ever made during his entire presidency(his entire life?).

aeolist

Banned
Ever the optimist, sweet summer child Obama even after 8 years of being a punching bag for the right.

Poor Barack, does he really think most Republican politicians wouldn't watch America burn if they thought it'd spite him?

He may as well be talking to a wall.

i don't understand why people think this mentality is sweetly naive rather than insanely dangerous and stupid. the effects of democrats trying to placate the right got us into this mess to begin with.

The ACA is very flawed, but it doesnt mean that we should repeal it. We need to push amendments that make it better for everyone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Again, I'm just reminded of how badly you Americans fucked up last year. Holy shit, how the fuck did you hand over all power to a bunch of people who don't give a shit about you and only have their own best interests in mind? Astonishing.

Again, I'm just reminded of how badly you Americans fucked up last year. Holy shit, how the fuck did you hand over all power to a bunch of people who don't give a shit about you and only have their own best interests in mind? Astonishing.

Blame the ignorant, hateful racists, not me. I voted for Democrat.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I read that in his voice. It's uncanny how I could coincide the beats of this written statement to how he spoke to the public. Every comma, I imagined him looking in a direction. Every period, I saw him taking a pause or looking down at his notes.

Seriously, watch one of his past speeches. It's almost unnerving.

Oh yea, and he's right.

Obama is going to have to understand that these are different political times and the GOP don't give a fuck. They will do whatever it takes to make the rich richer and stay in power no matter how many people are negatively effected.

They'll lie, cheat, and steal to blame everyone else. And they do it damn effectively.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
How firm is the constitution on the word "Consecutive"? Gotta be some wriggle room in there, right?

(I was never his biggest fan but I recognize his skills)

Sad to see Obama waste his time like this. While the front the Republicans are using to get support from their base may be destroying Obama's legacy all they really see are the dollar signs floating in front of them repealing this law will bring to their super rich puppetmasters in the form of tax breaks. They never gave two fucks about who lives or dies as long as it doesn't cost the rich money.

Top Bottom