• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Get a halo strap on Amazon. There's many brands but they all seem to be mostly the same.
oculus want me to send in the broken one for some odd reason before they send me a new one

thats a huge inconvenience to me since I know very little about snail mail and only use email

Anyone here dealt with the black screen of death. When I boot my Quest 2, the Oculus symbol comes up, controllers sync, three dots appear (loading to home screen), then NOTHING.
I have done a hard reboot, tried to launch a game from the Oculus app, soft reboot, etc. and nothing has worked. I feel it's going to need a factory reset but wanted to see what others may have experience with this and if I can avoid having to reload everything. Thanks in advance!!!
I had the same thing with my Q2 - factory reset achieved nothing, tried everything google could throw at me. Ultimately got it replaced, however you'll probably find its a bit of a process as you'll do a little back and forth with their customer services team which can take a while given there's often a couple of days before you get a response, and sometimes being asked to try the same thing by different people. Ultimately you'll get to the point of being asked to provide a video of the boot up, which should lead to getting the ofer of sending it back for some diagnostics. Got a replacement in the end, however it mus t have been 6-8 weeks before I received it. Luckily I hd a Q1 knocking about so that was okay, but it's a bit of pain nevertheless...

Billbofet

Gold Member
I had the same thing with my Q2 - factory reset achieved nothing, tried everything google could throw at me. Ultimately got it replaced, however you'll probably find its a bit of a process as you'll do a little back and forth with their customer services team which can take a while given there's often a couple of days before you get a response, and sometimes being asked to try the same thing by different people. Ultimately you'll get to the point of being asked to provide a video of the boot up, which should lead to getting the ofer of sending it back for some diagnostics. Got a replacement in the end, however it mus t have been 6-8 weeks before I received it. Luckily I hd a Q1 knocking about so that was okay, but it's a bit of pain nevertheless...

I lucked out and a factory reset saved the day. It was pretty easy as it had most of my info on the phone app so once connected I was up and running as soon as all my stuff re-downloaded.

Billbofet

Gold Member
Hey, anyone purchase apps through SideQuest prior to app lab? I had to do the factory reset, and now a game that I paid for, Operation Serpens, is only allowing me to re-install through app lab. I already paid for this months ago, but with no tie between that payment and app lab, it looks like I have to repurchase the game?

Anyone dealt with this?

Foilz

Banned
I have this issue aswell but if you start tilting the oculus and look around it always comes back on, well for me it does

Fredrik

Updated both the vrdesktop app and Quest 2 last night and played Half Life Alyx and experienced odd stutters I haven’t noticed before. Anybody else noticed something like that after the updates? or is it just my wifi that is misbehaving?

My quest 2 is being delivered today. Can anyone point me to a good site or Twitter followthat checks for be game deals?
Also looking for game recommendations so far I’m probably going to get super hot and half life alyx. What are the other too games?

Droxcy

Been using the Quest 2 for the last week now so far digging it. Need to get Oculus link dialed in performance is a little wonky sometimes but Vitural Desktop is good but doesn't deliver the hardwired graphics.

WizeVibez

Banned
My quest 2 is being delivered today. Can anyone point me to a good site or Twitter followthat checks for be game deals?
Also looking for game recommendations so far I’m probably going to get super hot and half life alyx. What are the other too games?
If you are only playing quest 2 native games, you need not look any farther than the quest store in headset. Worthwhile game rarely go on sale though.

As far as PC VR, you can follow the subreddit r/vrgamedeals or check isthereanydeal.com before purchasing anything.

I started using my quest 2 last night and I have some questions. First. I was using the virtual desktop to play some vr compatible games on steam. It kept crashing and I’m not sure why. My usb3 cable seems to be compatible. Second it seems like the vr experience for these games are poor. I only get a floating virtual screen in neon arcade and not the full 360 view. It also seems like I need to use the virtual keyboard to interact instead of the joystick triggers. I’m not sure if there’s something g else I should be doing.

SScorpio

I started using my quest 2 last night and I have some questions. First. I was using the virtual desktop to play some vr compatible games on steam. It kept crashing and I’m not sure why. My usb3 cable seems to be compatible. Second it seems like the vr experience for these games are poor. I only get a floating virtual screen in neon arcade and not the full 360 view. It also seems like I need to use the virtual keyboard to interact instead of the joystick triggers. I’m not sure if there’s something g else I should be doing.
Have you installed SteamVR and ran through the setup for it?

I did thanks now I can at least run games natively through steam vr but new retro arcade at least seems to have busted touch controls to where I can teleport around but I have no idea how to interact with any arcades.

Daciral

Neo Member
Itad is a good option, although I prefer gg.deals. Way better sorting, easier to read and they often show deals that itad doesn't.
I like to keep an eye on this page: https://gg.deals/deals/?feature=1&onlyBestDeal=1

Worthwhile game rarely go on sale though.
I would say only worthwhile games go on sales. All the daily deals are pretty decent. Also you get the 30% off from time to time, that comes in handy.

stranno

I'm a big fan Playstation VR and I want to get a PC headset. I guess Quest 2 would be the best option.

Is is compatible with old Rift games with room-scale support? I would want to play Pipejob.

Is the Link cable really necessary? I have many long USB-C 3.0 cables. I have read that the Link cable has much higher speeds, but the bitrate works even with a 2.0 cable.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is is compatible with old Rift games with room-scale support? I would want to play Pipejob.

Is the Link cable really necessary? I have many long USB-C 3.0 cables. I have read that the Link cable has much higher speeds, but the bitrate works even with a 2.0 cable.
You can play old Rift games wirelessly using Air Link, Oculus Link Cable isn't necessary. Other USB cables will work, but some will have slower transfer speeds or the lack the power to play-and-charge.

Daciral

Neo Member
Btw does anyone know why my controllers might be losing track? Sometimes when I swing them a bit too far behind myself they just go crazy for a moment. It's annoying while playing Beatsaber.

Synless

Btw does anyone know why my controllers might be losing track? Sometimes when I swing them a bit too far behind myself they just go crazy for a moment. It's annoying while playing Beatsaber.
Even on quest 2 I have issues where I miss because the controllers don’t register. It irritates me to no end. I assumed it was a quest 1 issue initially…. Nope.

Daciral

Neo Member
Even on quest 2 I have issues where I miss because the controllers don’t register. It irritates me to no end. I assumed it was a quest 1 issue initially…. Nope.
Oh yeah, I'm talking Quest 2 too. Idk if I should give them for warranty or is it normal...

Shai-Tan

Banned
"Get Lost In Nature With Luke" on Rift or Steam is an impressive looking demo of nature photogrammetry.

the video water repeats like every 5 seconds though. feels like being in an animated gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Quest 2 is apparently being recalled because some people are allergic to the facial foam. They're also offering silicone covers as a make good for anyone who wants one.

I replaced the foam a long time ago, not because I'm allergic but because it's a gross sweat sponge.

Although the recall is the headline, I think just as interesting is the apparent sales numbers. 4 million. Holy shit.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Gold Member
Quick question:
I have a buddy visiting next week and I want to show him something cool on the Quest 2.
For noobies to VR, what would you all recommend? Beat Saber is not his kind of deal. I have Vader Immortal, Superhot, and Eleven Table Tennis.
I think Superhot is probably the best, but let me know if there is another cool experience out there I should be showing him and just not thinking of.
Thanks,

Shmunter

Quick question:
I have a buddy visiting next week and I want to show him something cool on the Quest 2.
For noobies to VR, what would you all recommend? Beat Saber is not his kind of deal. I have Vader Immortal, Superhot, and Eleven Table Tennis.
I think Superhot is probably the best, but let me know if there is another cool experience out there I should be showing him and just not thinking of.
Thanks,
Can’t go past Superhot or Job Simulator

Quick question:
Thanks,
Echo arena? It's free and the tutorial is fantastic. Really high quality game and you literally feel like you're floating in a spaceship. It's probably the best movement mechanics I've found in VR.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quick question:
Thanks,
Gun Club is an awesome experience. Especially with headphones on and the volume jacked up.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Quick question:
Thanks,
Vader Immortal is usually a pretty good one.

RPS37

Just got a 50 dollar steam card, should I use it for SteamVR games or just find some cheap cool pc exclusives?

Top Bottom