• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Romulus

Took my Quest 3 on vacation and everyone continued to ask to play this game. It's a blast. You can set up custom battles with massive amounts of NPCs onscreen. The combat is actually fun too. Horse mounts also. The story mode is pretty meh, but I just play the custom stuff.

Romulus

Played about 2 hours of the 3ds emulator. Holy shit, Ocarina of Time felt like it was made for Quest 3 outside of a few audio glitches.
The 3D is incredible, smokes the 3ds but you're playing it on a massive screen with way higher resolution. Looks crisp.

To adjust the screen size you hold down one of the triggers and move the joystick.

Mario Kart 7 works well.

Super Mario land worked good at 2x and Vulcan.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I tried it. Ocarina of time. Looks amazing. Still a bit buggy and graphical issues and slow down but still fantastic. Have never seen the game look that good.

Last edited:

Romulus

I tried it. Ocarina of time. Looks amazing. Still a bit buggy and graphical issues and slow down but still fantastic. Have never seen the game look that good.

The default renderer is sometimes the problem.

Try switching the renderer under graphics to Vulcan. If that doesn't work turn the resolution down to 2x. Still looks crisp.
For me, the game hitched slightly the first 5 minutes of gameplay and had no issues after that.

Super Mario bros barely worked for me until I adjusted the settings, now its very playable. Turning off passthrough also seems to help.

How does the 3D effect look?

That's the most impressive thing for me. I guess since the 3ds was obviously 3d this is fully taken advantage of on Quest 3.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Took my Quest 3 on vacation and everyone continued to ask to play this game. It's a blast. You can set up custom battles with massive amounts of NPCs onscreen. The combat is actually fun too. Horse mounts also. The story mode is pretty meh, but I just play the custom stuff.

the dev for this and tales of glory 2 disappeared for a while, but he's back and started updating the beta branches for both games and on his discord he announced a third game with aliens and spaceships :D

I'm getting ready for the Quest 3 ,I bought HL Alyx, I already downloaded the Re4 Remake Mod , The Arcade Time capsule looks amazing. What else is a must ?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Where did you get the 20 000mah battery , the Highest on amazon.ca is 10 000
I wouldn't go any higher as you run the risk of it being too heavy.

Edit: the kiwi battery strap also comes with a cable holder
Anker 20,000mAh Portable Charger,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC1MM35H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This is the kiwi battery strap.
Edit: you want to affix it to the top of the head cradle on the back if the headset, and not the bottom as shown in the Amazon listing.
KIWI design 3 in 1 Fixing Strap... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1N8LDQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

hlm666

Do I need a Ethernet card in my PC to use PCVR? or can I just connect through the modem?
Your pc needs to be connected to your wireless router somehow, be it Ethernet cable or wifi. If your router is not good maybe using a cable might result in fewer problems. Your pc shouldn't need an ethernet card if it's a desktop, i'm not sure it's even possible to find a motherboard these days that doesn't have 1 built in. Gotta be at least 15 years (probably closer to 20) since i've seen a mobo without a network port.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Citra 0.3 released

What's Changed​

• Fixed crash for v62 users (Thanks @gyroninja for the fix)
  • Added a "Settings > VR > CPU Level" setting to adjust CPU level (to prevent heat/battery drain)
  • Fixed compilation errors when building debug
  • Dpad fix: adjusted default dpad bindings, which should hopefully fix the dpad for most gamepad users (note: you may have to bind the dpad in Settings this release).
  • set CPU Clock Frequency % to 100 and allowed for user adjustment
  • Made app boundaryless (thanks @gyroninja)

Your pc needs to be connected to your wireless router somehow, be it Ethernet cable or wifi. If your router is not good maybe using a cable might result in fewer problems. Your pc shouldn't need an ethernet card if it's a desktop, i'm not sure it's even possible to find a motherboard these days that doesn't have 1 built in. Gotta be at least 15 years (probably closer to 20) since i've seen a mobo without a network port.
yeah stupid me! for some reason I dint think I had a onboard ethernet connection lol
thanks for the reply :)

cyberheater

I have to say I'm been playing a lot of the Citra Emulator and specifically Ocarina of Time and it's fantastic.
It's so relaxing sitting and watching a 3D screen rather then being in the 3D. I'm starting to wonder if more games could be like this?

Romulus

I have to say I'm been playing a lot of the Citra Emulator and specifically Ocarina of Time and it's fantastic.
It's so relaxing sitting and watching a 3D screen rather then being in the 3D. I'm starting to wonder if more games could be like this?

What games have you tried? I saw Ace Combat as an option and wondered how that was. Apparently Need for Speed is good.

MarkMe2525

The Ghost of Tabor trailer is awesome and Rouge Stargun seems like my kind of game. They just need to give me Colony Wars in space.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
That's what I've discovered when got my Quest 2 3 years ago. Vorpx, Dolphin and Citra have the ability to display games in stereoscopic 3D and this is mind-blowing in VR! I have a huge Wii games collection and Mario Galaxy looks sublime as well as Metroid Prime Trilogy. Last one will transfer PERFECTLY in VR because of motion controls.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Citra 0.3 released

What's Changed​

• Fixed crash for v62 users (Thanks @gyroninja for the fix)
  • Added a "Settings > VR > CPU Level" setting to adjust CPU level (to prevent heat/battery drain)
  • Fixed compilation errors when building debug
  • Dpad fix: adjusted default dpad bindings, which should hopefully fix the dpad for most gamepad users (note: you may have to bind the dpad in Settings this release).
  • set CPU Clock Frequency % to 100 and allowed for user adjustment
  • Made app boundaryless (thanks @gyroninja)
Everything about this emu on Quest is great BUT there a some big problems:
- it needs 120hz in CitraVR option so badly. 30fps games like Metroid and Mario are fine on 90hz display, but 60fps games looks like shit in motion. But luckily we can use adb command to force 120hz.
- controller mappings not working predictably and you cannot remap 'A' button (because it's 'accept' button). I'm talking about Meta controllers that came with Quest. Bluetooth controllers worked fine!
- maybe I did something wrong but custom textures not working for me despite placing it exactly like instruction said (citraVRdir/load/textures/********GAME ID***)
- I also have problems with shader cache - looks like it's not working because everytime I start the game it stutters at same places and effects. I have all permissions to directories.
- How do I return to CitraVR menu after starting a game? Only way I found is just close and reopen the app.

Last edited:

cyberheater

Everything about this emu on Quest is great BUT there a some big problems:
- it needs 120hz in CitraVR option so badly. 30fps games like Metroid and Mario are fine on 90hz display, but 60fps games looks like shit in motion. But luckily we can use adb command to force 120hz.
- controller mappings not working predictably and you cannot remap 'A' button (because it's 'accept' button). I'm talking about Meta controllers that came with Quest. Bluetooth controllers worked fine!
- maybe I did something wrong but custom textures not working for me despite placing it exactly like instruction said (citraVRdir/load/textures/********GAME ID***)
- I also have problems with shader cache - looks like it's not working because everytime I start the game it stutters at same places and effects. I have all permissions to directories.
- How do I return to CitraVR menu after starting a game? Only way I found is just close and reopen the app.
Yes it needs a fair bit of work but I find it amazing. The only way to get back to the menu is to quit the app.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Yes it needs a fair bit of work but I find it amazing. The only way to get back to the menu is to quit the app.
Yes sure! Some amazing work from devs! As you see every point that I made were minor and/or QOL related or/and have workaround.
3DS games in VR is something magical, I cannot describe it otherwize. And it's me who always was a graphics whore (and still is).
However I was always fan of 3D. It came bit early - my guess, the technology just was't ready for it and especially hardware power was abysmal. With today's technology if Nintendo give it second chance I will be happy. Switch 3D is a great name and concept. And it still Switch and can switch to 3D. Sorry almost wrong thread :messenger_grinning_sweat:

cyberheater

Another update

@amwatson
amwatson released this 12 hours ago
v0.3.1
92d698a

What's Changed​

• Created HMD-specific default graphics profiles:
    • Quest 3:
      • Default internal resolution: 3x (was 5x)
    • Quest 2, Quest Pro:
      • Default internal resolution: 2x (was 5x)
      • Default VR environment: void (was passthrough)
  • 3% reduction in GPU utilization
  • Added numerical resolution indicator for "auto" in UI
  • Merged logging systems: all logs now appear in the Citra Log File
  • Fixed issue where user cannot proceed past file browser on first launch by @gyroninja in #25

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I just got Underdogs and after about an hour of play, I give it a recommendation. I like the "Gorrila Tag" style locomotion and the boxing elements feel satisfying. One knock is the jaggies, it could use some higher res rendering. Hopefully that gets touched up for Quest 3 owners.Check the link if you looking for that discount.

Also, I have a bunch of other referrals at
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

This is much needed. I actually tried to watch some Netflix in the browser while riding passenger, and it was a no go with the browser window constantly floating around (even with tracking off).

Edit: I also hope this will allow you to stick the browser window in a fixed position in your POV, so that one may walk around watching something and not have to drag the window manually.

Last edited:

cyberheater

This is much needed. I actually tried to watch some Netflix in the browser while riding passenger, and it was a no go with the browser window constantly floating around (even with tracking off).

Edit: I also hope this will allow you to stick the browser window in a fixed position in your POV, so that one may walk around watching something and not have to drag the window manually.
It would be killer feature. I'd wander around my house with my headset on all the time if it had that feature.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Tonight is the first time that I have had my headset on the majority of the evening. I'm even typing this using the quest browser. I'm trying out the touch keyboard for the first time. Works pretty well.

Got the elite strap with battery. Huge difference. The extra weight on the back makes it feel even.

Was considering a bobo halo strap style but it looks bulky and has too much crap going on. The elite strap makes the product look better imo. I also knew I like elite strap for comfort since I made a “frankenquest” with the Felix audio strap in my quest 2 and that was good

I don’t play long sessions but my kids will randomly play and leave it dead but this has enough juice to where I don’t think about it anymore. Breachers is my new addiction

Last edited:

Romulus

Assassins Creed is pretty underrated as a stealth game. The combat is pretty meh but I don't think they intended that anyway.

Top Bottom