• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I haven't posted much cos there wasn't so much actual game stuff but today there's a couple cool things so I'll bunch it up with a selection from the past days.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

hlm666

Madison got me a little bit at the end of the trailer, new it was coming but still landed a bit. I like horror games in VR but I have woke people up playing them late at night when tethered to the pc, Quest 2 was great for this because I could got to other parts of the house ;)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My guess is a cloud streaming service like Geforce now. Xbox cloud is already natively on there.
I hope it’s better than Xbox Cloud. I couldn’t get the latency down to acceptable levels. Probably something at my end.

Hot5pur

Rumour has it that’s it’s going to be some sort of legal emulation
They are supposed to reveal it today no? Any idea what time?
I am curious to what it is. It seems it will be standalone and no network required, so something that plays locally. Emulation would be neat but if it's just a flatscreen projected in VR that's kinda meh.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ocarina of Time In 3D on quest could be something quite special

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Mario 3D World is great on a VR headset. I played it via Virtual Desktop using an Xbox controller linked to the Quest 2. Citra and Virtual Desktop have compatible 3D modes, and effect really pops in the headset. Having it native will be cool.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Mario 3D World is great on a VR headset. I played it via Virtual Desktop using an Xbox controller linked to the Quest 2. Citra and Virtual Desktop have compatible 3D modes, and effect really pops in the headset. Having it native will be cool.
I just recently started a playthrough of Majora's Mask 3D using Virtual Desktop to create the large virtual 3d screen. Works great.

If this port runs well natively on the Quest 3 though, that will be a much more convenient way to do it.

Hot5pur

Part of me wants to trains VR or that hot wheels game so I can feel like a freaken child again lol. I guess having actual kids helps in these situations as you can hide your shame behind them....

cyberheater

I’ve dug out my son’s 3ds and fired up Ocarina of time to get familiar with it again. Nit played the 3ds in a long time. It looks better than I remember.

hlm666

Didn't even think of this, looks pretty good. I played around with one of the pinball emulators years ago, might be time to go have a look and see if you can set them up in VR.

It's using uevr but looks pretty good.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
CitraVR, coming next week. Not what I expected but still pretty sweet. We need more emulators in VR even if just to play on a giant flat screen without the 3D effect, lightgun games as on EmuVR, etc.

It's incredible! Samus Returns is still my favourite Metroid game!
But I really hope for Dolphin VR rebirth. World needs this!

Alexios

Uuuh, can't investigate much on performance or utility for lack of a Quest but these people (one/same person?) are putting a variety of full OS on it with proper control implementation and what not. Spatial Computing <_<

Last edited:

Alexios

Disney made something that could be pretty revolutionary for VR. I don't get how it works (but don't be fooled, it's embedded in that floor installation, not just a mat, so a consumer product would have to come with a wide base at least) 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I completely missed that there was a "Tie Fighter" vr game. Tie Fighter was my first PC game growing up. Is this available for standalone?

MarkMe2525

In VR I can confidently say no.
I was hoping the games age and low spec requirements would translate into low requirements to run in VR. To be clear, I haven't looked into the conversation at all. I'm busy installing a custom firmware to this ps3 I picked up on FB marketplace.

Romulus

Is the rain in 3D?

Probably but I haven't tried it yet. My backlog of games is absolutely massive since the uevr injector released.

Another video of the arcade. My God the detail is amazing. I just wonder what non VR people think when they see this? They probably think you're moving around an arcade in first person? 😆 The visual sensory has to be incredible with all the details you can't enjoy without VR.

Last edited:

Alexios

That arcade is well done but tbh it should be fully gamepad playable rather than use the VR controllers and swap around after activating etc., also it seems the creator has hand placed custom machines rather than make something that is meant to allow you to put your own cabs, edit their art and roms and what not (though you can probably easily replace those that are in with some fiddling or just renaming the roms and title screen media or something if they're hard coded)? Or is that just for special favorites of his and then all the generic astro city type cabs are interchangeable already?

Still, another project that was meant for that sort of thing seems abandoned and too fiddly for its own good anyway so oh well (also no copyrighted content, just generic art included, obviously). EmuVR is probably best still for usability even if it's just a room and not an arcade venue (not that it should be hard for the creator to eventually allow you to use a different space and hand place 3D arcade machines as you do consoles, which you can already put as arcade machines with roms anyway). Still yeah it's cool but just the latest example of things you could do already years ago. But good to see it acknowledged even if so late I guess, what with PC VR being slammed to hell and back by all the media and influencers more often than not, at least clickbaity stuff like this or any random UEVR game they make a video of for clout show there's more to it than is generally shown.

I'd love to see official, optimized VR platform support from the likes of RetroArch (even if it's just a screen in the void) and have people able to mod that further after the fact with custom content, but have all the capabilities like lightguns mapped on the motion controllers and what not built in.

For elaborate custom support it'd be cool to see something like the House of the Dead 3 or Ghost Squad cabinets in 3D and have you able to just grab their big ass weapons and interact with them and two hand them like you do weapons in full VR FPS games like Contractors or Onward or whatever. Just a fully interactive recreation. Even the wheel and gear lever in car arcades, leaning on the seat on motorcycles and what not (of course you still need button/trigger/whatever support for the rest of the inputs too). But yeah for the average game just controller support is fine.

Cringey to watch casuals discuss such games though, talking about wanting companies to make new Metal Slug that looks like the new PoP, like no, the existing games are works of art and no low budget 3D sequel would approach their quality, come on, just play the old 6 instead of always 3 alone even if they aren't all as good and hunt down other classics in the genre like Sunset Riders or whatever else you've definitely missed being clueless like you seem, ask for them to be released on modern platforms to legally own them rather than glee about the "free VR app" and not even mention which emulator was used etc., if they bother making a new entry then it should strive to be a great new high quality game like some other revivals and not a low budget half assed wannabe, like if it's gonna be 3D instead of 2D pixel art then get it to ArcSys quality 3D as 2D graphics at least.

Last edited:

Alexios

Can someone recommend me a good VR game?
I mean a really good game, a classic considered VR game, (like HL Alyx)
Vertigo 2, Lone Echo series, Red Matter series, TWD: Saints & Sinners series, Walkabout Mini Golf, Pistol Whip, VTOL VR, I Expect You to Die series, Stormland, Ancient Dungeon, Moss series, Altdeus series, Pixel Ripped series, Racket Nx, Cosmonius High, Eleven Table Tennis, The 7th Guest, Eternal Starlight, Gorilla Tag, Ghost Signal, VR Skater, Garden of the Sea, Eye of the Temple, Vengeful Rites, Mothergunship: Forge, Budget Cuts Ultimate, Kill it with Fire VR, Maskmaker, Cosmodread, The Light Brigade, Deisim, Paradiddle, Amid Evil VR, Resist, Waltz of the Wizard, Fisherman's Tale series, Gods of Gravity, Unification, Cave Digger 2, Elite Dangerous, Phasmophobia, Thrill of the Fight, Journey of the Gods, A Township Tale, VRChat, In Death: Unchained, Song in the Smoke, Obduction, Myst, The Room VR, Apex Construct, Microsoft Flight Simulator, DCS, Omega Pilot, Dirt Rally series, the latest F1 games, Sushi Ben, Automobilista 2, Gadgeteer, Stride, Guardians Frontline, Windlands 2, Yupitergrad series, Asgard's Wrath II, No More Rainbows, Shores of Loci, should include mods like Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Prey, Quake and modded Skyrim VR too.

Edit: didn't even mention any arena game like Blade & Sorcery, Hellsweeper, Hard Bullet or whichever FPS suits you between Pavlov, Contractors, Breachers, VAIL, or whatever style works for you, there's just too much shit to make a list, it's like asking for "good games" on console. Narrow it down.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Can someone recommend me a good VR game?
I mean a really good game, a classic considered VR game, (like HL Alyx)
Asgard's Wrath 2, Assassin's Creed Nexus, Resident Evil 4, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, Dungeons of Eternity, Wanderer, 7th Guest, Stormlands, etc. It all depends on what you like. I would consider Walkabout Mini Golf, Eleven Tennis, Blaston, and Beat Saber to be my most played games as they translate very well into VR. Superhot is amazing too but short. Echo VR was also great but...

started playing breachers with my son. The app sharing feature is nice I only have to buy one copy. It's a sick game. RS Siege clone but vr is vr ya know.

Top Bottom