• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Microsoft needs to decide if they want to make money or if they want to seriously contend for #2 worldwide. Because keeping the price of the 360 so inflated this long after release is harming their chances at being the number 2 system.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Microsoft needs to decide if they want to make money or if they want to seriously contend for #2 worldwide.

Agreed. MS' pricecut policy is totally insane. Waiting as long as they did for the first one put them definitively out of the running to compete with the Wii and put them into the bracket to compete with the PS3 in the first place; waiting on this one is letting the PS3 outsell them in the one market that actually arguably belongs to them.

If there isn't a pricedrop before GTA4, MS should just pack it the fuck up.

charlequin said:
Agreed. MS' pricecut policy is totally insane. Waiting as long as they did for the first one put them definitively out of the running to compete with the Wii and put them into the bracket to compete with the PS3 in the first place; waiting on this one is letting the PS3 outsell them in the one market that actually arguably belongs to them.

If there isn't a pricedrop before GTA4, MS should just pack it the fuck up.

They still have a marginal price advantage here in the states, but I agree for the most part. GTA IV sales will be very telling as to the outcome of this generation in the North American territory.

donny2112 said:
It's also still completely supply-constrained in its biggest world market (i.e. U.S.).
I have yet to see a single Wii sitting on store shelves. Hell, people still line up early for them if they are advertised in weekly cirulars. It is insane

The Wii situation in the US really confuses me... last I heard they were manufacturing something like 1.8m Wiis a month. Except we know what they sell in the US and Japan which means that the rest of the world must be eating up about 1 million Wiis a month, which they aren't.

felipeko

Psychotext said:
The Wii situation in the US really confuses me... last I heard they were manufacturing something like 1.8m Wiis a month. Except we know what they sell in the US and Japan which means that the rest of the world must be eating up about 1 million Wiis a month, which they aren't.
To december they were stockpilling for chirstmass, and they said they even used air shipping to fill the demand.. So in january they were low in inventory, and february they restocked others territories (you better have stock where people aren't that crazy for your product, or else they wil never buy it).. From March you'll see they shipping A LOT to US... That's why Reggie said Wii will be US market leader in July (or something like that).

donny2112

felipeko said:
That's why Reggie said Wii will be US market leader in July (or something like that).

I still don't see how that's possible by June (what Reggie said). Even if they shipped 400K per month to Japan, 600K to PAL territories, and 800K to the Americas, I couldn't see the U.S. total getting above 700K per month. 360 is not going to sit stagnant. It will have a substantial increase when it pricedrops (everyone knows it's coming before GTAIV after the EU pricedrop) and GTAIV hits. The Wii might be able to pass the 360 by the end of year, though.

felipeko

donny2112 said:
I still don't see how that's possible by June (what Reggie said). Even if they shipped 400K per month to Japan, 600K to PAL territories, and 800K to the Americas, I couldn't see the U.S. total getting above 700K per month. 360 is not going to sit stagnant. It will have a substantial increase when it pricedrops (everyone knows it's coming before GTAIV after the EU pricedrop) and GTAIV hits. The Wii might be able to pass the 360 by the end of year, though.
While i agree with you... That's what Reggie said.. So i think there will be BIG shipments... Probably bigger than 700k in some months (since Japan is at 200-250k/month)..

Neo C.

felipeko said:
While i agree with you... That's what Reggie said.. So i think there will be BIG shipments... Probably bigger than 700k in some months (since Japan is at 200-250k/month)..
If there are really 700k+ shipments in the next months, the Wii will be in stock by June. I mean, even an average of 600k+ sold units per month is batshit insane, last year's best months had numbers above 500k+ (sans Nov. and Dec.).

Yes Boss!

Neo C. said:
If there are really 700k+ shipments in the next months, the Wii will be in stock by June. I mean, even an average of 600k+ sold units per month is batshit insane, last year's best months had numbers above 500k+ (sans Nov. and Dec.).

The one-two-three punch of Brawl, Kart and WiiFit for March, April and May speaks to increased shipment beginning two weeks back. I would imagine a sizable increase for North American during this three month sequence. Even more so given the calculated and staggered release of all these titles throughout the three territories.

Neo C.

Yes Boss! said:
The one-two-three punch of Brawl, Kart and WiiFit for March, April and May speaks to increased shipment beginning two weeks back. I would imagine a sizable increase for North American during this three month sequence. Even more so given the calculated and staggered release of all these titles throughout the three territories.
Nintendo definitely has got the momentum. Though it would be very funny and exceptional if they really managed to sell 2.5 million Wiis (or even more?!) in the next four months. Will GAF implode?:lol
I can't remember a similar case in the past. It would be a new and remarkable record in the american history.

lopaz

Banned
Neo C. said:
Nintendo definitely has got the momentum. Though it would be very funny and exceptional if they really managed to sell 2.5 million Wiis (or even more?!) in the next four months. Will GAF implode?:lol
I can't remember a similar case in the past. It would be a new and remarkable record in the american history.

Ah yes. The War of Indepence, the Civil War, Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations, 9/11, and of course the time the Wii sold 2.5million in 4 months

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Neo C. said:

Instead of spending billions on advertising, just showing WiiFit on Oprah alone would probably do it. :lol

Shiggy

lopaz said:
Ah yes. The War of Indepence, the Civil War, Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations, 9/11, and of course the time the Wii sold 2.5million in 4 months

I think this was funny.
thumbs-up.gif

Top Bottom