• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

donny2112

tanod said:
Hey donny or pantherlotus,

Do you guys have any charts for the three different consoles that show how they directly performed with their own sales year over year?

yoy_360.png

yoy_PS3.png

yoy_WII.png

Mrbob said:
500,000K+ for DMC4 in month one is awesome. Capcom making the game multiplatform paid off big time.

There is really no other spin.

This is definitely true. DMC4 reversed a downward-trending series, even; it's absolutely another huge success for Capcom, and just the latest evidence that Capcom is one of the most together developers for approaching the treacherous waters of the current console market.

George Claw M.D. said:
Really? While there is, definitely, still room for growth, you honestly think the videogame industry is still in its infancy? Really?

It's good to see Lost Odyssey selling well. We need more RPGs to be developed. I'd like to know how many 360 sales can be attributed to its RPG line-up, being that the 360 currently trounces the Wii and PS3, with its RPG offerings.

Regarding DMC4, I think the numbers are decent. Why did so many people expect this game to do so much better? It's not like DMC is a blockbuster series, relative to GTA, GT, or Halo. The game simply isn't as accessible, nor is its series as popular, as those aforementioned games, thus it's selling to a smaller pool of potential buyers.
Absolutely, the mainstream has yet to embrace it fully and even now they've just begun to.

Ethelred: You underestimate the longevity on Nintendo's current first party offering to drive hardware sales. Like you say time will tell who's right.

donny2112

Nintendo shifted focus of their teams to Wii, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still making DS games. Fire Emblem DS comes to mind, and they have a history of announcing a bunch of brand new games at E3. Dragon Quest will be a big pusher throughout 2008 in Japan, and the third Professor Layton is to come.

If you look at what's announced, the DS might as well be discontinued after DQIX, but handheld games have a relatively short turnaround.

It is a matter of faith that the games will continue to come versus knowing, though.

Edit:
Why does this NPD thread have flavors of Media-Create in it? :lol

donny2112 said:
Nintendo shifted focus of their teams to Wii, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still making DS games. Fire Emblem DS comes to mind, and they have a history of announcing a bunch of brand new games at E3. Dragon Quest will be a big pusher throughout 2008 in Japan, and the third Professor Layton is to come.

If you look at what's announced, the DS might as well be discontinued after DQIX, but handheld games have a relatively short turnaround.

It is a matter of faith that the games will continue to come versus knowing, though.

Edit:
Why does this NPD thread have flavors of Media-Create in it? :lol
Ethelred showed up. :)

BishopLamont said:
Ethelred: You underestimate the longevity on Nintendo's current first party offering to drive hardware sales.

I really need to clarify here. Let's assume the claim that the DS' software is being phased out by all its major developers is true. Is your argument that, where PS2 looks all set to get a good 2-3 years of life out of simply riding out its success after most or all its software has trailed off, the DS' software is so compelling that it'll be able to get 5-6 years -- as long as its lifespan with software being released -- so that it can last as long as the PS2?

The idea that the software might not actually taper off that strongly is definitely arguable (I'm not so sure it will actually disappear yet myself) but I can't really see how anyone could believe that the DS will have a lifespan as long as the PS2's if its flow of software is cut off as much as two years earlier.

donny2112

Square-Enix has at least four ports and DQIX coming. Level-5 has the Soccer RPG and Professor Layton 3. Nintendo has Pokemon 3 and Fire Emblem. I'm sure Capcom will have another Megaman Star Force this fall. Konami is coming out with another Castlevania.

And as stated, handhelds have a short development turnaround.

If support was cut off now, you're correct in that it couldn't last like the PS2. It could still pass up the PS2 in total hardware with a shorter lifespan, but that's beside the point.

However, I really don't think publishers will be letting those DSs sit there unused, if they can help it. :D

Edit:
Oh, yeah. We just had announced Valkyrie Profile and Disgaea DS, so new announcements are still being made, as well.

Future

Strong DS, PS2, and Wii sales show that a large number of consumers still dont give a fuck about graphics or online features. Of course it is no coincidence that they are the cheapest consoles...only hardcore gamers are willing to pay $$$$$ to game? Or maybe its that most people are less willing to buy any the more expensive consoles more than once (or both together. A PS3 + 360 purchase drops you almost a G).

charlequin said:
I really need to clarify here. Let's assume the claim that the DS' software is being phased out by all its major developers is true. Is your argument that, where PS2 looks all set to get a good 2-3 years of life out of simply riding out its success after most or all its software has trailed off, the DS' software is so compelling that it'll be able to get 5-6 years -- as long as its lifespan with software being released -- so that it can last as long as the PS2?

The idea that the software might not actually taper off that strongly is definitely arguable (I'm not so sure it will actually disappear yet myself) but I can't really see how anyone could believe that the DS will have a lifespan as long as the PS2's if its flow of software is cut off as much as two years earlier.
I'm not saying the software lineup right now will drive sales for the next 4-6 years, I'm saying it's enough for the near future, and there's plenty more software still to come, DS games don't take that long to be announced and released compared to consoles. There's plenty of Japanese games still to be localized and released in the US and EU. DS has just begun to see Japanese sellout sales (~600k/month is 150k/week). Let's not forget November/December 2007 where it was in shortage. I can't believe anyone thinks support for the DS is going to cut short any time soon. Does anyone here not think Nintendo already has NSMB/BT3 made just waiting to be released when it's needed?

RBH

Looking at the Wipeout sales number (10k) and seeing that thread where it showed the amount of Wipeout downloads (35k) from just one torrent site, it's really a sad situation.

Hell, I've never even played Wipeout before, yet judging from videos of the game, I can tell that it deserves far better than 10k sales.

Slavik81

Jokeropia said:
You just don't get it, do you? People don't buy the Wii because the PS3 & 360 are too expensive, they buy the Wii because they want the Wii.
My impression has been that people see it as 'next-gen', just in a different way than the 360 and the PS3. It basically gets to compete with them using its different (but equally enticing) feature set and have the advantage of its pricing.

Yes, there is some pretty significant product differentiation, but among the casual Halo & Madden masses, I think the perception could be described by Wii:pS360::Burnout:Forza. Then imagine Burnout was $40 and Forza was $70.

Naruto

TheRipDizz said:
My post was clear. The bigger sense in that it is only high in regards to a handheld, which have been stigmatized for years for having absurdly low attach rates.

Which is why I've said 'For a handheld'. Handhelds are known to have always had low attach rates, especially in the US. An attach rate of over 6 is a big accomplishment. Did the GBA ever had an attach rate as high as this? Would be interesting to know, for comparison's sake.

kuYuri

Isn't this actually the fifth month in a row CoD4 on 360 is #1. Seriously, Holy shit.

I'm glad LO is up there. Very surprised to see Turok as well.

donny2112

Naruto said:
Which is why I've said 'For a handheld'. Handhelds are known to have always had low attach rates, especially in the US. An attach rate of over 6 is a big accomplishment. Did the GBA ever had an attach rate as high as this? Would be interesting to know, for comparison's sake.

I'm pretty sure that "6" thrown out was just the attach rate for the month (3.6 million / 588K). I haven't seen a LTD tie ratio for the DS in a long time that I recall.

Strider2K99 said:
Isn't this actually the fifth month in a row CoD4 on 360 is #1.

This isn't March's data, so no.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Did we ever get any info on what Super Mario Galaxy's sales were? Sorry, haven't kept track of the thread since Thursday.

Loudninja said:
More numbers
NR Frontlines: Fuel of War (Xbox 360) 99,900
Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village (DS) 91,000
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) 50,300
No More Heroes (Wii) 37,000

http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=482

I remember Nintendo saying that they were VERY disapointed with how the last Advance Wars sold and that that was the reason for the series redesign. What do sales of 50k mean now? will the franchise be put on hold? eliminated altogether?

lopaz

Banned
VultureDude said:
I remember Nintendo saying that they were VERY disapointed with how the last Advance Wars sold and that that was the reason for the series redesign. What do sales of 50k mean now? will the franchise be put on hold? eliminated altogether?

Was this its first month?

Shanks said:
How does that compare to Advance Wars DS?

I don't know if we're allowed to say (I remember the number since it was from way back when I first started paying attention to the old threads), but I'd say Nintendo wouldn't be impressed.

Norml

danwarb said:
You don't think a price cut would help sales?

It would help but not enough IMO.

I think MS would earn more money by not dropping the price and just keep banking on its profit.

FieryBalrog said:
Microsoft might want to cut the price unless they're really fixated on 3rd place.

Why because sony has outsold them for two months in a row on the back off hddvd dieing and a hardware shortage and by a few thousand units give over man.:lol

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
BishopLamont said:
Wow 22 Million for Wii already? Shit, seems like just yesterday that the Wii just beat the 360 WW, truely stunning.

What's ironic is that the extra year for the 360 is the only thing keeping the Wii from 50% market share. :lol

Rlan

Shanks said:
How does that compare to Advance Wars DS?

I don't think we'll get into trouble for this, as it was before the crackdown on NPD numbers, but..

August '05 - 44,293
September '05 - 55,730
October '05 - 17,746

DOR has done better, but Dual Strike was in the time when the great DS software just was not selling very well (Same with Kirby Paintbrush). The fact that the DS has blown the fuck up should have made this sell a whole lot more.

Rlan said:
I don't think we'll get into trouble for this, as it was before the crackdown on NPD numbers, but..

August '05 - 44,293
September '05 - 55,730
October '05 - 17,746

DOR has done better, but Dual Strike was in the time when the great DS software just was not selling very well (Same with Kirby Paintbrush). The fact that the DS has blown the fuck up should have made this sell a whole lot more.
I doubt userbase size matters with niche titles such as AW.

Neo C.

BishopLamont said:
I doubt userbase size matters with niche titles such as AW.
A few copies more because of the bigger userbase size is still a good thing. Even niche titles profit by the bigger userbase.

andthebeatgoeson

Did MS release how many total units it sold this month? If not, then I guess I can start believing in Stumpapow when he said Nintendo sold more software. Well, in combination that MS has shifted their battles to revenue. Wow, it's only a matter of time until 3rd parties start to shift their focus. It's taking too long. I'm sure that idea won't filter thru until after Christmas 2008. Maybe we might have a big 3rd party christmas 2008 title on the Wii.

RE 5 WII bewiive.

Max Payne 3ii Bewiive.

donny2112

Rlan said:

sonycowboy said at the time of the crackdown that we weren't allowed to post older numbers, even if they were already posted at GAF, unless it was from an official or news source. Just FYI, for future reference.

solid2snake said:
allright, so we can say that Nintendo is the marketleader again.

I ... didn't realize they had stopped being the market leader.

knitoe

Norml said:
It would help but not enough IMO.

I think MS would earn more money by not dropping the price and just keep banking on its profit.

PS3 barely beat out the X360 even after a $200 price reduction to get within $50 and somewhat shortage of X360. If Microsoft drop the price from $50-100 and increasing price difference to $100-150, won't help much? The problem with Microsoft is they waited too long. Could have done major damage if it was done last year.

Raw64life

For anyone who missed it...

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far from various sources...

------------

February 2008:

WII NO MORE HEROES - ~35K
WII DRAGON QUEST SWORDS - ~15K

NDS PROFESSOR LAYTON MYST VILLAGE - ~90K
NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~50K
360 FRONTLINES FUEL OF WAR - ~100K

PSP WIPEOUT PULSE - ~10K

------------

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.72 million