• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

TJ Spyke

AlteredBeast said:
They could also stealth-ship a few hundred thousand systems, a la Sega Saturn. At GDC, for example, they could show off the Xbox 360 Enhanced, and announce that it will be available at retailers everywhere by the end of the week. The press on it would be huge.

Obviously highly unlikely, though.

That strategy for the Saturn backfired big time though. Sega pissed off the retailers they didn't ship teh Saturn too so much that some of them stopped stocking Sega products.

MikeB

Banned
Promising PS3 vs 360 data recently from the UK, Australia and the US, the three only real 360 strongholds. What's especially promising for the PS3 is that this is happening before the storm of high profile exclusive PS3 sequels lined-up for 2008.

So far Sony mainly introduced experimental new franchises onto the market, some were very successful and some weren't.

To me it seems the 360 will run into issues this year (overall should still be OK, but the PS3 is surely expected to win christmas globally), as the bulk of XBox users have already upgraded to a 360 due to a total lack of support for the original XBox for over two years.

Good PS2 figures as well!

kurosawa

squatingyeti said:
wii_ps3_xbox_forecast_425.jpg

Notice the Wii graph. Notice the Wii graph DECREASE. Notice how that would be decreasing LTD.

:lol

and 360 too. is this real?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
kurosawa said:
:lol

and 360 too. is this real?

It's apparently as real as their console cost breakdowns. Their numbers just don't work out. By the way, careful bluheim might stalk you if you catch on to his posting when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Your best bet is to leave now.

bluheim, I have plenty of friends and admirers. While this is cute, maybe you should just understand more what you're talking about before posting.

cedric69

Pristine_Condition said:
There's no need for Microsoft to panic yet.
Panic? Heck, no! Take action? You could bet your house that they should. America is the only territory where they are ahead, with the opportunity of remaining ahead of PS3. You don't want to mis-step in such a territory.
They still have a great back-catalog library that anyone would be happy to have, GTA4 will be big, and if the Blu-ray thing really becomes an issue, they can always release a Blu-ray add-on.
:lol :lol :lol Pretty please, I've always defended 360 as a great game machine and I still think it is the best for an hardcore gamer, as of today, but if Blu-Ray really becomes relevant, for future hardware sales an add-on would be totally insignificant.

squatingyeti said:
wii_ps3_xbox_forecast_425.jpg

Notice the Wii graph. Notice the Wii graph DECREASE. Notice how that would be decreasing LTD.
Notice that this is NOT what iSuppli said. This is what Botticus claims iSuppli said, but he's wrong. I explained it in that thread already, but here it is again.

Liabe Brave said:
The Wii total is ridiculously lowballed, but the "LTD goes down?!" comments are based on faulty interpretation. The original report says that Wii gets to 37.7 million "by 2011", which means by December 2010. So iSuppli is predicting (rolling launch holidays into the first year for clarity):

Wii sales
2007: 20 million
2008: 10.2 million
2009-2010: 7.5 million

360 sales
2006-2007: 18.2 million
2008: 7.5 million
2009-2010: 6.6 million

PS3 sales
2007: 10.3 million
2008: ~15 million
2009-2010: ~13 million

So maybe they are predicting a global recession, which causes sales in 2009 and 2010 to be lower than in 2008 alone.

Grecco said:
Oh and LOL at Criterion. So much bullcrap on how "whiners" were wrong about the Demo. Those numbers were underwhelming. :lol
Yeah, it should have been on the PC. It would have sold much better! ;)

Still no confirmation of the NMH numbers? Anything 50k+ would be amazing but if it could pull off something close to 100k that would be fantastic.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Liabe Brave said:
Notice that this is NOT what iSuppli said. This is what Botticus claims iSuppli said, but he's wrong. I explained it in that thread already, but here it is again.

ACTUALLY, it IS a chart CREATED by iSuppli, maybe you should go back and read the original article that includes the chart.
bluheim is just being ridiculous like always:

squatingyeti said:
WHAT? They didn't sell half of anything. They SHIPPED less, SOLD more. They stuffed the channel so bad at the end of 2006, they didn't need to ship donkey for a few months. Show me the numbers that say they SOLD less in 2007 vs. 2006.

bluheim said:
Show us the SOLD numbers of 360 in Europe and we'll show you the SOLD numbers of PS3 in Europe.

As you can see, he quoted me talking about sales from 2007 NOT being less than 2006. Threw in something about PS3 sales in Europe, no fucking sense at all.

shepherd said:
The PS3 numbers seem so small because they are.
bluheim said:
Or maybe they are not and you're wrong. SHOCKING !!!

Here, bluheim argues the CONFIRMED numbers for US+Japan sales are apparently not true. Saying someone citing the numbers from NPD+Media Create is wrong. Shocking, I know.

squatingyeti said:
Holy shit, now we've gone to desperation, arguing CONFIRMED numbers.
This is my response to his above questioning of the NPD+Media Create numbers. He somehow thinks they were just made up
bluheim said:
Link, please ? Id' truly like to see those so-called confirmed numbers that says PS3 has sold only 2 millions in Europe.

He responds to me with the above. WTF? We've been SPECIFICALLY talking about US+JAPAN. I'm not sure what saying those numbers can be confirmed, has anything to do with 2M in Europe...

Ok, I'm done now. Like I said, it's been cute, what you following me around and whatnot bluheim, desperately trying to interject with stupidity, but I'm happily married.

I do hope NMH has reasonable numbers. Anything close to 100k is fantastic, 75k+ added to the Euro sales should make it successful in it's own way.

mugwhump

Tabris said:
I like the spin fanboys are putting on this when the simple fact this is just the beginning of PS3 outselling the Wii/360 for hardware for the entire year. Spring 2008 will see the PS3 outselling the Wii by a margin.

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Oh, and an interesting fact: Playstation family has outsold the Nintendo family by more than the total sales of the XBox 360 this month.
taaaaaaaaabriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis XD XD XD : D : D : D XD : D XD XD : D <3 <3
XD

Tieno

Those Burnout numbers are dissapointing, which is dissapointing. I'm sure it'll be decent worldwide, but decent is not enough.

What did the PS3 version do in NA?

bluheim

Banned
@squatingyeti : You could argue all day long, this will never change the fact that you said the PS3 will outsell the 360 by only 1 millions in 2008, 2 millions in 2009 and 3 millions in 2010. And that'll never change the fact that those three years will be very painful when reality finally catch you.

Wollan

bluheim said:
@squatingyeti : You could argue all day long, this will never change the fact that you said the PS3 will outsell the 360 by only 1 millions in 2008, 2 millions in 2009 and 3 millions in 2010. And that'll never change the fact that those three years will be very painful when reality finally catch you.
Was that a US only estimate?

pswii60

Is another potential reason for the high PS3 hardware number due to the announcement that the 80gb has ceased production? When the 60gb was announced to be discontinued in Europe, the race was on for everyone to get one before they sold out. It's a great hardware figure for January either way, nothing to be sniffed at whether the other consoles had shortages or not.

Nocebo

Kamakazie! said:
160k pre-orders? Fucking epic (one of those is mine). Europe wins again. It is about time Nintendo started treating Europe properly, what with the support we are giving its platforms.
Indeed! Also they should send SSBB to europe first >_>

bluheim

Banned
Nocebo said:
Indeed! Also they should send SSBB to europe first >_>

I'm starting to believe that Europe will play a huge role this gen and that it will be looked differently next time. That's great news to me.

pswii60

bluheim said:
I'm starting to believe that Europe will play a huge role this gen and that it will be looked differently next time. That's great news to me.

It's been looked at differently this time. MS did a simultaneous launch of the 360. Nintendo did a simultaneous launch of the Wii. MS have ensured pretty much all first party 360 games come to Europe at the same time (or near enough) they come to the US. But unfortunately, Sony delayed their Euro launch of PS3, they delay PSN releases and Nintendo delay first party releases and MS took ages to launch Video Marketplace (and even now it's sucky).

pswii60 said:
It's been looked at differently this time. MS did a simultaneous launch of the 360. Nintendo did a simultaneous launch of the Wii. MS have ensured pretty much all first party 360 games come to Europe at the same time (or near enough) they come to the US. But unfortunately, Sony delayed their Euro launch of PS3, they delay PSN releases and Nintendo delay first party releases and MS took ages to launch Video Marketplace (and even now it's sucky).
So basically, treat Europe as shit, and you win.

Riddick

I don't care about hardware numbers that much. All I came here to say is BUY UNCHARTED YOU FUCKS. PS3 had a great tie in ratio and still Uncharted sold like shit. I love this game and it hurts me to see it selling like that.

bluheim said:
No, worldwide.
:lol Oh squatingyeti...

Riddick

Hellraizer said:

Except the launch delay which was unavoidable Sony has been treating us great. Some games are even releasing earlier than the US. As for the PSN games it's not as bad as pswii60 makes it look like. We're talking about just a few days delays here. Microsoft is great at that too. Nintendo on the other hand keeps screwing us with delays over and over again.

pswii60

Hellraizer said:

Well, Sony looked after Europe well last-gen with a lot of Euro-centric content, like a gazillion Singstar SKUs for each nationality. What you release seems to be more important than when you release it.

Riddick said:
Except the launch delay which was unavoidable Sony has been treating us great. Some games are even releasing earlier than the US. As for the PSN games it's not as bad as pswii60 makes it look like. We're talking about just a few days delays here. Microsoft is great at that too. Nintendo on the other hand keeps screwing us with delays over and over again.

Are you fucking kidding me? We only got Everyday Shooter THIS WEEK - like 6 months after the release of the US version. We still haven't got Puzzle Fighter HD. We still haven't got PAIN. We still haven't got High Velocity Bowling.

Riddick said:
I dont know about other countries, but Sony first party titles in Germany cost around 65-70€ (about 100$)

Well, Sony looked after Europe well last-gen with a lot of Euro-centric content, like a gazillion Singstar SKUs for each nationality. What you release seems to be more important than when you release it.
Looks like it. Still, we in europe get treated the worst, but they all claim we are so important to them (all three). In the end, we pay more so they can make big price cuts in japan...

Arthas

Banned
Hellraizer said:
I dont know about other countries, but Sony first party titles in Germany cost around 65-70€ (about 100$)

This is probably why the US market has an easier time selling more consoles and games. The rest of the world gets royally screwed price-wise.

pswii60

Arthas said:
This is probably why the US market has an easier time selling more consoles and games. The rest of the world gets royally screwed price-wise.

The price of everything is more expensive in Europe though. Even women.

M_A_C

Das-J said:
So I dropped by my local Best Buy on the way home just to check on their stock. Here is what I found:

Not a single 360 in the entire store:
2rxfih3.jpg

5 PS3's (All 40GB units)
b6u1q8.jpg

There wasn't a single Wii either but that comes as no surprise. Anyway, from my small sample of 1 out of 100,000+ Best Buy stores it appears that the supply constraints are indeed real, even if their impact remains in question.

Anyway, what I found most interesting was this:
21mal5e.jpg

I had no idea they were already shipping standalone peripherals for RB... pretty cool! :D

Now take your time machine back to January and give us some relevant information.

Tieno

pswii60 said:
Sony has done a fair job with pricing on PSN (not always 1 to 1) plus region-free games is nice (though I doubt it makes a significant impact) and saves me a ton of money. The delays of PSN games are annoying. Probably not going to bother anymore with Everyday Shooter.

Riddick

pswii60 said:
Are you fucking kidding me? We only got Everyday Shooter THIS WEEK - like 6 months after the release of the US version. We still haven't got Puzzle Fighter HD. We still haven't got PAIN. We still haven't got High Velocity Bowling.

Oops I didn't know about these three games, I don't even know two of them. I stand corrected although that's not the reality for the majority of PSN games.

MikeB

Banned
Hellraizer said:

No this tactic doesn't work for Microsoft, which puts no effort in Europe, for example in terms of localization, free lag free dedicated multiplayer servers and customer support isn't that good neither. ;-)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
pswii60 said:

You could argue that MS are rushing their products to Europe whereas Sony and Nintendo are taking the time to ensure the game is localised properly.

Tieno

Bojanglez said:
You could argue that MS are rushing their products to Europe whereas Sony and Nintendo are taking the time to ensure the game is localised properly.
Care to give some examples?

Top Bottom