• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

AniHawk

Zerachiel said:
I thought AWDS2 did fairly well, all things considered. Is it doing poorly compared to previous AW games, or FE games? (I don't remember many of those sales, heh).

FE doesn't do much better than AWDS in the states, but it crushes the Wars series in Japan.

Sharp

Somehow I would've expected this thread to be larger given the PS3 > 360 thing, but I guess PS3 owners really aren't interested in Sales-Age!

Sharp said:
Somehow I would've expected this thread to be larger given the PS3 > 360 thing, but I guess PS3 owners really aren't interested in Sales-Age!

Well it is only one month and a few thousand units more, do you expect people to wooo hoooo and pop the champers over one month after being beaten nearly every month since launch.

llTll

Banned
Sharp said:

i dont think anyone care beside Wii owners.

just looking at that huge ass Super smash brothers thread tells me alot about about gaf

Dragon

Banned
llTll said:

just looking at that huge ass Super smash brothers thread tells me alot about about gaf

I think it's fairly established that Nintendo fans make up more than half the regular posters on GAF.

CassSept

3982f588e3a97b4fb65f691db12d0e915ae.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheBranca18 said:
I think it's fairly established that Nintendo fans make up more than half the regular posters on GAF.

I guess that falls roughly in line with market share then?

Lobster

Banned
TheBranca18 said:

A lot of people are 360 & Wii aswell. There really isn't much Ps3 + Wii though.

Lobster said:
A lot of people are 360 & Wii aswell. There really isn't much Ps3 + Wii though.

Why do you provoke people like that ? You should play more and write less.

I don't understand this football-like attitude to be a fanboy. It can interest you only if you're actionist.
Let me pose you a question: Nintendo now is earning almost 8-9x more then during its worse fiscal year (2003). Has the number of their software published in a t amount of time really changed because of that ? Maybe the quality of its games has increased, but Nintendo isn't even expanding its development teams or making aquisitions.

So, for us, these sales doesn't change our life of gamers. Even the number of software, because, outside the trash, Third Parties aren't developing a shit on Wii. And Wii IS the leader. On Nintendos consoles, after all, we always buy only Nintendo's games, with some exceptions that were also present with N64 and Gamecube (more on Gamecube).
What are the best games on Wii ? Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. The exceptions are Zack and Wiki and...what ?

Facts say that Nintendo's earnings, as long as they're not into the red numbers, don't change their strategy as many of us hoped (I was one of them), because they are very conservative. And Third Parties don't give a shit about the leadership if Nintendo is the leader, because they are always backing X360 and PS3, quality-wise. (I was one of the naives who thought that something would have changed).

So, what is the logic to be a fan for an enterprise that isn't using their money to make more games and doesn't care about us ? And this is not true only for Nintendo, but for Microsoft and Sony too, and in general for all companies in the world.
I cannot be a fan for that. I buy a game, I play it and I discuss on the GAF and all finishes here.

Discussing is ok. Make jokes is good too. Personally I find the GAF a very amusing place. But to be a blind fan.....it's a thing I don't understand.

Innotech

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I don't understand this football-like attitude to be a fanboy. It can interest you only if you're actionist.
Let me pose you a question: Nintendo now is earning almost 8-9x more then during its worse fiscal year (2003). Has the number of their software published in a t amount of time really changed because of that ? Maybe the quality of its games has increased, but Nintendo isn't even expanding its development teams or making aquisitions.

So, for us, these sales doesn't change our life of gamers. Even the number of software, because, outside the trash, Third Parties aren't developing a shit on Wii. And Wii IS the leader. On Nintendos consoles, after all, we always buy only Nintendo's games, with some exceptions that were also present with N64 and Gamecube (more on Gamecube).
What are the best games on Wii ? Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. The exceptions are Zack and Wiki and...what ?

Facts say that Nintendo's earnings, as long as they're not into the red numbers, don't change their strategy as many of us hoped (I was one of them), because they are very conservative. And Third Parties don't give a shit about the leadership, because they are always backing X360 and PS3, quality-wise.

So, what is the logic to be a fan for an enterprise that isn't using their money to make more games and doesn't care about us ? And this is not true only for Nintendo, but for Microsoft and Sony too, and in general for all companies in the world.
I cannot be a fan for that.

Discussing is ok. Make jokes is good too. Personally I find the GAF a very amusing place. But to be a blind fan.....it's a thing I don't understand.
they redeemed themselves this gen for Brawl and Galaxy alone. I need no other reason.
Well that and they also inspired Sega to at least revive the NiGHTS franchise and made PC point and click action games a relevant genre again.

Sharp said:

After the SDF Captain Snah got banned they just don't have the same fight anymore.

legend166

I hope that Microsoft drops the price on their damn console soon.

Bloody hell, we should be discussing a rumoured price drop to $199 by now, not to $299.

This gen sucks.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I was discussing userbase on GAF and a lot of Ps3 owners do not have a Wii. It shows in the post your gaming setup too.

I don't see why that would be seen as provoking..

Rolf NB

Lobster said:
I was discussing userbase on GAF and a lot of Ps3 owners do not have a Wii. It shows in the post your gaming setup too.

I don't see why that would be seen as provoking..
I have a Wii, and I like it muchly. Declared a Wii game as my 2007 GOTY when last polled.
It's simply that the fight for second place is much more interesting. The Wii has won. That's no contest.

Lobster

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I have a Wii, and I like it muchly. Declared a Wii game as my 2007 GOTY when last polled.
It's simply that the fight for second place is much more interesting. The Wii has won. That's no contest.

Obviously. I think second place will be tight but its going to take the whole gen for Ps3 to catch up.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, what is the logic to be a fan for an enterprise that isn't using their money to make more games and doesn't care about us . But to be a blind fan.....it's a thing I don't understand.

I'm glad you don't and probably never will.

take a good look at all the 3rd parties who have defected since the SNES and you'd probably find some logic in there.

Kyoto stands tall, Sony may have won those two generations, but it was clear who the true believes were wasn't it?

Nintendo on life support and going 3rd party since 1997 :lol :lol

TheBranca18 said:

Established by who? I think it's just a case of nintendo fans being more vocal. Their console of choice is dominating so they speak out about it. Despite this i still think your post is wrong.

llTll said:

Ok then don't bother reading sales age then?

Some people who aren't wii fans are interested in sales age to you know. Some of us are just interested in the trends etc.

Also no one cares besides wii owners this gen, last gen it was sony fanboys doing the talking. I think yous both must have short memories. Basically whichever console is winning you will see it's fans doing the talking.

llTll said:

That Gaf loves great games? SSBB is shaping up to be one of the best games of all time, hence the large amount of interest. Also SSBB has had constant updates throughout the year, the likes of which have never been seen before hence the size of the thread.

You can let your hidden agenda blind you, but the reason the SSBB thread is so big isn't because of wii fanboys it's because of all the updates and the fact that it is a great game.

norinrad21 said:
I'm glad you don't and probably never will.

take a good look at all the 3rd parties who have defected since the SNES and you'd probably find some logic in there.

Kyoto stands tall, Sony may have won those two generations, but it was clear who the true believes were wasn't it?

Nintendo on life support and going 3rd party since 1997 :lol :lol

:lol wow.

ehn, when GAF does its little user polls, Nintendo usually are the largest group. Sony guys are no slouches though. The MS Fanmen are the smallest group. Oh, and SEGA fans. There are like four of us. Everyone else acts like they're having a pineapple shoved up their ass sideways everytime SEGA announces a game.

darkgable

Banned
e-gamer said:
This is a unique moment in PS3's lifespan...

Enjoy it

and I prefer to see MS spending a bit of that money they offered for Yahoo to buying exclusive games and investing in others...

Hmmm! Like the Rare buyout? So buy said company for 1/3 billon $, piss off their top brass & talent so they leave & get spoon fed half assed software to upset gamers.

I'm up for that, let me find some spare change down the back of the sofa.

Segata Sanshiro said:
ehn, when GAF does its little user polls, Nintendo usually are the largest group. Sony guys are no slouches though. The MS Fanmen are the smallest group. Oh, and SEGA fans. There are like four of us. Everyone else acts like they're having a pineapple shoved up their ass sideways everytime SEGA announces a game.
With as hit or miss as Sega gets I almost expect a pineapple of disappointment, to penetrate my rectum of childhood innocence.

I think there are more Sega fans around nowadays. I was a Dreamcasty, and Genny Sega fan. I never had a Saturn, but my best friend did, so I didn't miss out. I wasn't quite a believer in the Saturn as I had been the Genny. But the Dreamcast still wettens my trousers to this day.

Right now on the console front I guess I'm a Nintendo and Microsoft fan.

Thunder Monkey said:
With as hit or miss as Sega gets I almost expect a pineapple of disappointment, to penetrate my rectum of childhood innocence.

I think there are more Sega fans around nowadays. I was a Dreamcasty, and Genny Sega fan. I never had a Saturn, but my best friend did, so I didn't miss out. I wasn't quite a believer in the Saturn as I had been the Genny. But the Dreamcast still wettens my trousers to this day.

Right now on the console front I guess I'm a Nintendo and Microsoft fan.
SEGA fandom is for life, you cheeky soon-to-be-dead monkey!

Bleed SEGA blue for life, or bleed non-believer red in death: Your choice!

Segata Sanshiro said:

Sega created a large portion of my childhood, they made Jet Set, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, Sonic, and Phantasy Star.

My loyalty may not be as strong as yours but my love for them is everlasting...

That kind of got a little sexy didn't it?

gkryhewy

legend166 said:
I hope that Microsoft drops the price on their damn console soon.

Bloody hell, we should be discussing a rumoured price drop to $199 by now, not to $299.

This gen sucks.

You're right - $299 should be the price. Although they did sell through all available units at $349, so one can't really fault them. I'm hoping for $299 very soon though.

duk

Banned
Anyone else think this is an intentional shortage on MS' part? I think they are channel clearing, trying to get rid of all the old really shoddy h/w. Time to consolidate all the damn skus!

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
What about shortages in February... let me guess... What will happen in March?

:lol
What the hell are you talking about? Last year DS shipments returned to good levels by February, while Wii didn't get an increase until April. I don't how much time it will take this year.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DeadGzuz said:
And the same folks say Blu-ray doesn't sell PS3s. Flip-flop depending on the thread I guess. All those movies watchers bought Paradise at a larger ratio than the achievement whores.

For the last fucking time, quit ignoring reality. SW does NOT scale linearly with HW. Which part is hard to understand? The word linearly?

squatingyeti said:
For the last fucking time, quit ignoring reality. SW does NOT scale linearly with HW. Which part is hard to understand? The word linearly?

Is there anyway to put the basic gist of this in your avatar? You seem to have best grasp on it and a whole crapload of people seem to be completely immune to its logic.

Maybe some kind of rebus?

;D

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there anyway to put the basic gist of this in your avatar? You seem to have best grasp on it and a whole crapload of people seem to be completely immune to its logic.

Maybe some kind of rebus?

;D

Someone make it and I'll sport it with pride. It's amazing how people can't even think this out to themselves. I mean, Madden would have to of sold ~30M right before the 360 came out, on the PS2 alone, to keep its early software attach rate.

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

They brought back NiGHTS <3
I guess if I was in fact hemorrhaging, it would be a purplish hue, though that could also be from eating too many grape jolly ranchers.

Rolf NB

duk said:
Anyone else think this is an intentional shortage on MS' part? I think they are channel clearing, trying to get rid of all the old really shoddy h/w. Time to consolidate all the damn skus!
It shall be known as the XBox 360 Artardiumitelo edition pack model.

JB1981

Sharp said:

When there is no good Wii news, NPD threads die. Wii fanatics aren't here to overwhelm the forum

MisterHero

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Facts say that Nintendo's earnings, as long as they're not into the red numbers, don't change their strategy as many of us hoped (I was one of them), because they are very conservative. And Third Parties don't give a shit about the leadership if Nintendo is the leader, because they are always backing X360 and PS3, quality-wise. (I was one of the naives who thought that something would have changed).

I cannot be a fan for that. I buy a game, I play it and I discuss on the GAF and all finishes here.

Wait what? Nintendo just bought Monolith. They got n-Space, Retro, Kuju, Monster Games, made EAD Tokyo, they built an entire team around Sakurai and got awesome games out of all of them. They set up NWC, setup WiFi spots all over Japan and got deals with GameSpy, etc. to do it over here.

No I don't think Nintendo should moneyhat developers for their system, if they want to develop for Wii they should get to decide for themselves. 3rd-Parties go to other systems because the other manufacturers have very little 1st-party output (compared to Nintendo's anyways) and thus fear less of being overshadowed. Maybe if they asked Nintendo to publish their games Nintendo would advertise for them. But currently that's not Nintendo's obligation, but rather the developers and whoever publishes their game.

But for the large majority of Wii games that don't get advertised, that's not Nintendo's responsibility. EA, of all the companies out there understands Nintendo's console and audience, why not other developers?

I don't get their logic. They are likely to get greater returns on a cheaper-to-develop-for system with the currently-leading userbase, and get great publicity if the proper talent was used, but want to make big-budget games that upon average and risk making just a bit more than what it takes to develop them.

I guess I'm speaking as a Nintendo fanboy and a Wii/DS owner (not to mention their wares from the past 2 decades). And maybe I'd consider these '3rd-parties' more if they gave me the option, but so far they haven't, and Nintendo as THE FREAKING INDUSTRY LEADER has to bribe them give them money? That's bullshit.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
MisterHero said:
Wait what? Nintendo just bought Monolith. They got n-Space, Retro, Kuju, Monster Games, made EAD Tokyo, they built an entire team around Sakurai and got awesome games out of all of them. They set up NWC, setup WiFi spots all over Japan and got deals with GameSpy, etc. to do it over here.

No I don't think Nintendo should moneyhat developers for their system, if they want to develop for Wii they should get to decide for themselves. 3rd-Parties go to other systems because the other manufacturers have very little 1st-party output (compared to Nintendo's anyways) and thus fear less of being overshadowed. Maybe if they asked Nintendo to publish their games Nintendo would advertise for them. But currently that's not Nintendo's obligation, but rather the developers and whoever publishes their game.

But for the large majority of Wii games that don't get advertised, that's not Nintendo's responsibility. EA, of all the companies out there understands Nintendo's console and audience, why not other developers?

I don't get their logic. They are likely to get greater returns on a cheaper-to-develop-for system with the currently-leading userbase, and get great publicity if the proper talent was used, but want to make big-budget games that upon average and risk making just a bit more than what it takes to develop them.

I guess I'm speaking as a Nintendo fanboy and a Wii/DS owner (not to mention their wares from the past 2 decades). And maybe I'd consider these '3rd-parties' more if they gave me the option, but so far they haven't, and Nintendo as THE FREAKING INDUSTRY LEADER has to bribe them give them money? That's bullshit.

It's just when you prefer company Y, Company X can do no right, even if they save the world. >.>

J-Rzez

squatingyeti said:

It doesn't but it does, you can't argue that larger install base = greater potential sales. It doesn't mean that it'd scale true to form with multiplication of the userbase, but, "it could" since there's more prospective buyers. But end of the day, the larger overall number usually wins.

J-Rzez said:
It doesn't but it does, you can't argue that larger install base = greater potential sales. It doesn't mean that it'd scale true to form with multiplication of the userbase, but, "it could" since there's more prospective buyers.
He specifically said linearly... you completely agreed with him, whether you realise it or not. :D

Sure, it technically "could"... but it never will unless all the casual gamers suddenly start buying games like the hardcore early adopters.

[Edit - Someone surely must be able to show a pretty graph for this to show how it works! :lol ]

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
J-Rzez said:
It doesn't but it does, you can't argue that larger install base = greater potential sales. It doesn't mean that it'd scale true to form with multiplication of the userbase, but, "it could" since there's more prospective buyers. But end of the day, the larger overall number usually wins.

And a number of people are arguing that this doesn't apply to the Wii, when they're buying a console for a "game", yet it works for the PS3 when they're buying it for a "movie player". 0.o

J-Rzez

Psychotext said:
He specifically said linearly... you completely agreed with him, whether you realise it or not. :D

Sure, it technically "could"... but it never will unless all the casual gamers suddenly start buying games like the hardcore early adopters.

I am basically agreeing with him, I know :lol

jay

Segata Sanshiro said:

Being a Sega fan these days is like staying in an abusive marriage. There's nothing wrong with keeping the great memories close to your heart while you walk out the door.

JB1981 said:
When there is no good Wii news, NPD threads die. Wii fanatics aren't here to overwhelm the forum

How is this month not good Wii news? First place, somehow, despite no units available anywhere. No More Heroes sold better than expected. Is there bad Wii news? I must've missed it.

squatingyeti said:

I'm so happy you're fighting this battle so I don't have to.

spwolf said:
you didnt get the memo - PS3 was only console not in demand.

So, like, are you a secret Ninthing trying to make the Sony fantypes look bad, or what?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
J-Rzez said:

So, you're in agreement? Larger install base DOES = greater potential sales. It just doesn't mean you're going to retain the % attach you had earlier in the console's life. For example, Madden always has a pretty good % attach rate early in a console's life. However, that DECREASES, while sales INCREASE later on. The sales increase because there are more people that might buy, but the attach % decreases because there are also more people that WON'T buy.

Top Bottom