• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Set of random fanboish-posts:

Tmac said:
Supply constrainned. Really?

Xbox numbers are consistent when compared to last year same time period. A small drop from 290k to 230k, WII sales also dropped on same proportion. Previous january was a 5 week month compared to 4 weeks this one. Xbox always sells about 70% to 80% WII numbers, which is also consistent with this NPD report.

Was there a shortage? Maybe. The point is, was that a real Shortage? I don't think so. If there wasnt any problem at all, maybe it whould sold a couple thousands more, not enough to change the big picture here.

Wow.

CurlySaysX said:
I said last month that the PS3's closest rival had hit a wall and that the PS3 was gaining steam.
Today's released NPD numbers prove my observations correct. Numbers don't lie.
PS3 just gained 2million units over its closest rival in the months of DEC + JAN. (WORLD WIDE)
Sony. FUCK YEAH!

Wow. There is a legion of fanboys in this thread ! :lol

Z3F said:
You're not a true gamer if you want the WII to win. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan. I just want them to go back to making real videogames.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol This one was fantastic.:lol :lol

Wowhawk said:
2008 is the year for the PS3.. it's going to be a great year!

Wow.

Waqas said:
PS3 will play the next game from team ICO

No amount of Wii/360 sales ownage can beat that.

Holy shit. :lol

avaya said:
No I just don't understand how they're pissing away sales, both could have been 400k+ this month. Apple manages to make millions of iPods. Phone companies manage to make millions of phones, a lot of which are more complicated than a DS (I would guess).

Both consoles are basically a different market, another league up from the competition, maybe they should think about redefining their manufacturing strategy to go along with how they've changed their design philosophy.

Is it really that difficult to fab more DS' and Wii's? Maybe they don't want to expand past their current manufacturing partners.

Wow. The Apple comparison again.

Tmac said:
You realize that NA, HUGE, xbox sales advantage was what kept worldwide numbers even for 2007.

If the Ps3 matchs 360 sales in NA, and note that it doesnt even need to outsell it, the worldwide numbers will look pretty dark for 360.

It never stops. :lol

Ynos Yrros said:
Only difference is that SONY made an amazing next-gen platform.

Holy ***ing crap. :lol It's a storm !

Spotless Mind said:
Hardware shortages is such a pitiful excuse. Sony is forwardly momentum-ing above the xbox brand. :D I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox 360 doesn't outsell them again.

The bigger software sales is such a crappy excuse as well. Just because PS3 has no top 10 games, doesn't mean that software sales arent as good as xbox 360 games.

Wow. Sony-fanboy am back and really angry because of the Wii60 domination.

ParticleReality said:
Oh yeah, Sony has next gen in the fucking bag. Maybe next year will be the year of software domination.

And these are only random posts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sonycowboy said:
I can ABSOLUTEY CONFIRM that every brick and mortar retailer is having issues with 360 HW inventory. It's not a cop out. However, there were regular shipments, just not big enough. If there were stock, I could easily see it going above 300k, but how much higher we'll never know.

I'm happy that there is always Sonycowboy that is maybe the only guy who remains objective.

CrushDance said:
Look. I'm a big PS3 fan and went into this generations as a huge Nintendo fan, and now PS3 takes up most of my time compared to Wii/DS and I'm thinki9ng of getting a PSP.

But just because I favor one system over the other right now does not mean that I''ll start partying up and down about ONE MONTHS SALES. Especially when if they were to be compared, Wii would destroy PS3 any day of the year and 360 would beat the PS3 as well.

Both 360 and Wii were supply constrained, 360 not so much as MS is just cooking something up.

No way can we say this is a permanent jump until after several more months of PS3 defeating 360. Yes the PSP and PS3 have a lot of major games and such coming which will more than likely push the systems even more.

But right now, the system software sales are small(albeit due to userbase). Can you be happy? yes. But no way is this console war even close to being over. Also if the PS3 can come back from the bottom, so can any platform.

Wait and see.

Good post.

beerbelly said:
I'm surprised there's a lack of hardcore Nintendo fans in here. They usually keep these threads alive for weeks.

They're away because of "bad" Nintendo's numbers.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Joe211 said:
that's not the case here señor

What? You don't believe the larger the installed base, the smaller the % attach rate for X game becomes? Or am I confusing what you just said, because the part you put in bold, and your response seems to say you don't believe that's what happens.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wow. Sony-fanboy am back and really angry because of the Wii60 domination.

I'm happy that there is always Sonycowboy that is maybe the only guy who remains objective.

Don't point out someone who is being totally objective. The faithful from either side will slaughter you.

squatingyeti said:
Don't point out someone who is being totally objective. The faithful from either side will slaughter you.

Calm down dude. I was just surfing into the thread reading how many fanboys are inside just to laugh a little bit. Never said it's only a Sonyfan problem. Nintendo fans were even worse during the Gamecube period.

Mrbob said:
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that real gaming defeated waggle gaming nearly 2:1 in January.

For example, this is a joke-poster.

DeadGzuz said:
.144/9.3 = 1.6%
.083/3.5 = 2.4%

So I guess PS3 owners do buy games. Great game and it deserves more sales on both systems, better than COD4 IMO.
people keep doing this, despite being told every time that game sales do not scale linearly with userbase.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Would have liked to see Burnout do better (not that it did bad per se).

The demo was just not a good representation of the final product.

Leondexter said:
Why are people touting this as a big victory for Sony? It's not as if they came in first--the Wii still outsold the PS3, and the DS still outsold the PSP. This reminds me of last January's "closing the gap" PR when the PSP was 'only' outsold by the DS by 30k instead of hundreds of thousands. As a matter of fact, have we seen Sony's PR? Maybe they'll use that term again.

Here are some hard numbers, which indicate the shortages weren't as severe as they seemed (unless the industry is up quite a bit over last year, which it may be):

These are last January's numbers, minus 1/5th to remove the extra week it had last year:

PS2: 239,482
GBA: 143,586
NDS: 191,095
PSP: 168,575
X360: 235,019
PS3: 194,843
Wii: 348,402

And these are this year's, from the OP:

PS2: 265,000
NDS: 252,000
PSP: 230,000
X360: 229,000
PS3: 270,000
Wii: 274,000

The 360 is almost flat from last year. Obviously demand is up, but it's not apparent just by the numbers. The DS is meaningless; it had shortages last year as well. So did the Wii, of course, but they were obviously worse this year. The PSP and PS3 are the big winners by percentage gain.

Interesting comparison. I didn't know that the DS was selling so slowly last year.

sprocket

Banned
Shig said:
Would have liked to see Burnout do better (not that it did bad).

The demo was just not a good representation of the final product.

Yeah I did not buy it because of the demo + nfs games. I have never played and OPEN TRAVEL racer that was not total crap. I think a lot of people feel the same.

mildewproduction

I'll put up my Xbox 360 to the first Sony fanboy who will put their PS3 up.

The bet? Simply the fact that Xbox 360 will sell more units then PS3 will in the month of March.

DeadGzuz said:
.144/9.3 = 1.6%
.083/3.5 = 2.4%

So I guess PS3 owners do buy games. Great game and it deserves more sales on both systems, better than COD4 IMO.

Did something change where developers were paid off percentages instead of actual unit sales?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
squatingyeti said:
Really, did you not see that math formula which required a difference between 360 and PS3 installed base. It doesn't matter if you're talking about % attach or anything else. You can't just say sales would increase by this much because the same % of people would pick up games if there was a larger installed base.
Where did he say anything definitive about how much sales would increase? You're reaching beyond what he said to put words in his mouth.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
kaching said:
Where did he say anything definitive about how much sales would increase? You're reaching beyond what he said to put words in his mouth.

So, he quoted someone using that flawed math, making comments about sales, and he did it because? I see, he wasn't talking about sales at all. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Nuclear Muffin said:
NMH is probably at 100k by now (Anyone who thinks Suda would get sales numbers from ******** and post them on the official site are morons. He probably posted more up to date numbers)

Absolutely amazing for a Grasshopper Suda game! It's by far his most successful game to date and it was done on the Wii (Where supposedly nothing but casual shovelware and Nintendo games sell and with no advertising to boot!)

Bravo Grasshopper, Bravo Suda :D

Yeah, when all is said and done No More Heroes will be his top selling game by a massive margin.

Hopefully it is a sign to other 3rd parties that quality exclusives (that are violent) can sell very well.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The Faceless Master said:
would have liked to see it do worse, devs shouldn't be rewarded for idiocy.
I think it's more that it's not easy to make a good demo out of an open world racer. The only option that would really paint a fair picture of the full game would be to actually give the full game with a time limit... but that's not going to fly, the size of the download required would be ridiculous.

The real idiocy is people thinking 3 events scattered across a small section of a city is really indicative of the experience of that full city with events at every intersection. Any dum-dum should have been able to tell it wasn't a very good representation, and that writing off the whole game due to what was in the demo was unfair.

belvedere

Junior Butler
mildewproduction said:

The bet? Simply the fact that Xbox 360 will sell more units then PS3 will in the month of March.

Hey, that's unfair! The PS3 works!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
squatingyeti said:
So, he quoted someone using that flawed math, making comments about sales, and he did it because? I see, he wasn't talking about sales at all. :lol
Yes he was talking about sales, but not the aspects of sales you keep trying to attribute. The only thing he actually said about sales you actually agree with, everything else you had to infer in order to disagree.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DevilWillcry said:
Why exactly is the 360 supply constrained right now? It's not like it's the Wii....

Could be a couple reasons. They channel stuffed the hell out of holiday 2006. Retailers weren't about to let that happen again. Therefore, they didn't allow MS to send more consoles in Dec. than what they already had. The switch from air to freight, leaves a long delay. MS sold through most every piece of stock (pro/elite speaking) they shipped for the holiday 2007 period. With retail still upset at the channel stuffing from the year before, and not predicting the 360 would actually sell through the supply, when MS switched back to the normal shipping method, this is what happened.

The other reason could simply be an alteration in the design, however minor, holding up the production.

kitch9

Banned
mildewproduction said:

Worldwide or just NA?

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Did something change where developers were paid off percentages instead of actual unit sales?

I don't know, what are the WW numbers? Anyhow, if in doubt ignore the point and post something else!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DeadGzuz said:
I don't know, what are the WW numbers? Anyhow, if in doubt ignore the point and post something else!

I addressed your point, and so did faceless. I'll keep it short, you can read the last page with my long post. Software does NOT scale linearly with hardware. A lower install HW base, will sell a higher % attach rate for X game. It happens to EVERY console. You were trying to compare the % attach rate of two different HW install bases.

Davidion said:
This thread is exploding with goodness. :lol
The thread has been like this so far:

Sony Guys: "teh empyer strikez bak!!1"
MS Guys: "nuh-uh itz teh shortagez!!11"
Nintendo Guys: "lulz"

Odds are there are going to be at least 20 more pages of this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Leondexter said:
54k in January for a game that's a few months old isn't bad. It might be the first sign of longevity.

Aside from that, though, Uncharted was excellent, but not so great as to deserve this kind of drama.
It's worth a bit of a drama because the game has the kind of innocent charm of the big budget adventures of old, and people want that kind of games to succeed. It would suck that every big budget game has to have some bitter seriousness and gloomy feel to, like most do now.

In any case the game must at least be very close to 1M worldwide now based on reports of it selling better in EU than in US. That should put it firmly into 'made profit and is worth of sequel' category, I'd think.

Innotech

Banned
squatingyeti said:
I addressed your point, and so did faceless. I'll keep it short, you can read the last page with my long post. Software does NOT scale linearly with hardware. A lower install HW base, will sell a higher % attach rate for X game. It happens to EVERY console. You were trying to compare the % attach rate of two different HW install bases.
case in point, Zelda TP sold to over 50% of the initial Wii userbase. AMAZING ATTACH RATE.

DevilWillcry said:
The thread has been like this so far:

Sony Guys: "teh empyer strikez bak!!1"
MS Guys: "nuh-uh itz teh shortagez!!11"
Nintendo Guys: "lulz"

Odds are there are going to be at least 20 more pages of this.
Exactly, and I don't see any new gifs.

Disappointing NPD thread disappoints :(

Mrbob

Hey gaffers stop choosing extra software titles that are in the top 10 software list anyway. Make sure to pick games that aren't in the top 10.

Don't need to add Cod4 or Rock Band or GH3 on the extra list. :/

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Innotech said:
case in point, Zelda TP sold to over 50% of the initial Wii userbase. AMAZING ATTACH RATE.

Yes, and if the Wii reaches an install base of 75M, the next Zelda would have to set the most historic sales ever to keep that attach rate %. You just can't explain this to people that have little to grasp on to.

WrikaWrek

Banned
You guys need to cut on the dose.

This shit has been on loop for the last 15 pages. And holy shit i just found out there's an amazon search bar incorporated into neogaf, awesome

squatingyeti said:
When did it apply to the 360? It's always been out longer than both the Wii and PS3.
The high attach rates of pre-PS3/Wii games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet are part of the reason why the "360 is a software monster!" meme exists. When in fact, as you've pointed out several times, attach rates are simply higher earlier on when owners are more likely to be enthusiasts (and more eager for new experiences). PS3's higher attach rates for games like CoD 4, Assassin's Creed, and Burnout Paradise are definitely not evidence that PS3 is doing better than 360. They are, however, evidence that it's likely following the same sales curve as 360, which I bet some posters would find surprising (but is only to be expected).

Also, sorry about the confusion with Botticus and iSuppli; I stand corrected. It seems they truly are insane, and not just deluded.

Teriyaki

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Set of random fanboish-posts...

Thanks for saving me 30 minutes of trying to read through 35 pages. I see now why the board went down longer than usual for an NPD release yesterday.

Shig said:
I think it's more that it's not easy to make a good demo out of an open world racer. The only option that would really paint a fair picture of the full game would be to actually give the full game with a time limit... but that's not going to fly, the size of the download required would be ridiculous.

The real idiocy is people thinking 3 events scattered across a small section of a city is really indicative of the experience of that full city with events at every intersection. Any dum-dum should have been able to tell it wasn't a very good representation, and that writing off the whole game due to what was in the demo was unfair.
what about writing it off because of open world, no retry and no crash mode?

monkeu

sonycowboy said:
360 was available at every online site without fail for the month of January. So, I guess by your vitriol, you're now claiming shortage before, clear skies now.

Therefore the 360 should kick serious ass next month. Fine.

BTW,

What do people think the 360 would have sold if not for the retail shortages?
And do people think the PS3 was a replacement for folks who were looking for 360's?

Hahah you can't be serious, right? You're honestly trying to make out that shortages didn't play a big part in this? You're telling me that consumers bought over 300K more 360s than PS3s in November alone, and then another 450K more 360s than PS3s in December alone, and then suddenly turned around and decided they all wanted PS3s instead? Furthermore they decided they didn't want as many Wiis as usual either. You honestly don't think that the only console that sold so poorly during the holiday season that it couldn't even break the 800K mark in December might be benefiting from readily available stock all across the country in January, while the other consoles that all sold hundreds of thousands of units more each PER MONTH during the holiday season might be a little low on stock in the marketplace?

mildewproduction said:

so basically, if the 360 wins, you get a free bluray player, and if the PS3 wins, you get rid of a dying console?

what's in it for them?

Touchdown

Banned
hellfrozen.jpg

Nizz

MassiveAttack said:
:lol God, that had me laughing hard! :lol :lol

The Faceless Master said:
so basically, if the 360 wins, you get a free bluray player, and if the PS3 wins, you get rid of a dying console?

what's in it for them?
:lol I love it! :lol

Raw64life

Everything not listed in the OP so far...

January 08:

WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~80K
WII NO MORE HEROES - ~65K
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~30K

NDS ADVANCE WARS DAYS OF RUIN - ~80K

PS3 UNCHARTED - ~55K
PS3 BURNOUT PARADISE - ~85K

360 KINDGOM UNDER FIRE - ~50K

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.4 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY - ~2.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million